Code of Conduct

Thread: Clive Christian

Default Re: Clive Christian

God! I'd so like to get X for Men.

Default Clive Christian

I know people say Amouage is the most expensive fragrance. While at Saks today I saw this bottle od perfume by Clive Christian that said "The most expensive perfume in the world" on the bottle! What a marketing ploy! Now I've heard of these fragrances on this board but never tried them. I didn't really take interest in the women's fragrances but they had No 1, X and 1872. They actually had a tester of X. I sprayed this on myself and a card and it was unbelievable! To me this is the perfect high class fragrance. Has anyone else tried this?
    Unfortunately these are very expensive, heres the mens prices

X and 1872 1.7 oz bottle $175 each
    No 1 was $550!!!!
    I wish I could of tried No 1 and 1872.

Looking at the wardrobes I see three users have 1872, one has No 1, and 2 have X.

Who is this GnuGnuAntiloop that owns all 3!
    And Paul G owns X? Paul what kind of illicit side businesses are you running to afford all these scents? I thought teachers were supposed to be starving educators.
    If any of you who own these scents would want to do a small decant of these I'd be willing to give up one of my kidneys. I have two afterall
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Upon further review when I click on Paul's wardrobe I don't see X anywheree. Paul can you explain this anomaly?

Also GnuGnuAntiloop has rated all the Clive's as 2 stars. Gnu you willing to sell any of them?
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!

I have all 3 in samples. No doubt they all very high class. Funny thing about them is that there is nothing unusual or "defining" about them (like a*men or ambre sultan), except they just smell extraordinarily exquisite and smooth.

This post has great timing. My very first purchase for a scent was X, and I ordered it blindly. The quality; level of notes, intensity and experience opened my mind to a whole new world. So not knowing, I bought it as an office scent. It was a bit heavy. After two hours I thought my office was a cedar box. Seriously. Spicey, tobacco, a man's man scent. For me it will be an evening scent. Although I enjoy the notes so much I may use a little on the drive from work, on my way to dinner. On my skin, I mean cedar city.

Four seasons included a sample of 1872 and it is also amazing. These are complex fragrances changing notes like a car changing gears. I like 1872 the most out of the three. It is not as dark/rich as X, but not light either. I went to saks yesterday to pick up 1872. I like it that much. Somehow the sales ladies talked me into Creed and my guilt to get my wife a gift got the best of me. The budget was blown.

I asked for a sample of No.1 and they sprayed me a large vial. No.1 is so different I need help describing it. Since my SMW (polar opposite) was completly gone by 3 pm today I decided to dab the No. 1 on while in the office. Yikes. WOOOOO Nelly, calm down girl. Two drops behind the ears and the entire office knew about it. Georgous. I did not enjoy it as much as the other two. It felt more Channel No.5 like...in power I mean. Flowery, sweet, but still very masculine. It is something special, but I would not wear it.

I may try 1872 as a signature scent. It is my kind of spice with that slight hint of peach. I've never worn anything that I enjoyed so much.

My verdict: 1872 worth the bucks. X a close 2nd.

X is worth the bucks if you like dark, serious, and cedar. Hell, I pick the bottle up from my desk all the time just to sniff. I will wear X for a power day when I will take no prisoners. Invincible.

I'm pretty sure fourseasonsproducts.com has samples for a really good price. 4 for $5 I think.

I wanted to add something. I am not pushing Clive, but rather recommend testing it first. I was impatient.

Randman thanks for your views. I can still smell the X on me and on the card and it is still strong! I really want this. I just made a bunch of purchases so I can't buy this now
    I'm still a student and get no paychecks. I'm so thankful for student loans and credit cards. Just scared what my fiance is gonna think when she sees my CC bills!

I really want to try 1872 and No 1 also. The lady at Saks seemed kind of pissed I was even spraying from the X tester. Maybe cuz I had my backpack on

I (stupidly) bought X blind from Fourseasons.I wish i could take it back because i can think of quite a few better high-end fragrances i should have bought instead.
    Don't get me wrong,i do like it---you can tell its well made;the top and middle notes are great,but the dry down is kinda ho-hum to me.Plus,....................................
    IT IS NOT WORTH $175!! >

I also own Amouage Dia (cost $195) and have no regrets at all.Excellent and unique scent--plus the bottle is amazing--its made with 24% French lead crystal and the cap and metal parts on the bottle are plated in pink gold.

Forget Clive and try Amouage!

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

ajmc I actually went on the amouage website today and it seems really interesting. I would love to try this. Is there any store in the US that sells this? Actually I think their website said Ritz Carlton gift shop by my apartment has it. Too bad I can't afford it and I doubt they would have a tester.
    Any interest in getting rid of your X?What other high end exclusive scents would you suggest?
    How are Amouage silver and gold?

I just sniffed my tester card with X again and the drydown reminds me of MI. Do you get this too?

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells
    ajmc I actually went on the amouage website today and it seems really interesting. I would love to try this. Is there any store in the US that sells this? Actually I think their website said Ritz Carlton gift shop by my apartment has it. Too bad I can't afford it and I doubt they would have a tester.
    Any interest in getting rid of your X?What other high end exclusive scents would you suggest?
    How are Amouage silver and gold?
    Parfumsraffy sells Amouage,thats were i got mine.

I don't want to get rid of X (i do like it) ,i just meant if i could go back in time,i would have bought something else.

I don't think X and MI smell alike at all.

As for other high-end scents i would recommend trying,the first one that comes to mind is Czech & Speake No.88.

Also Serge Lutens's fragrances are amazing;you can get the export line at Aedes and Beautybase and unless you know someone in Europe you can get decants of the non-export line on e-bay.Trust me,they will blow your mind!!

Jeff

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I think it's really naff to boast about the price of a fragrance as a marketing ploy. For once I would rather have yet another moody shot of a dim-bulb model.

Didn't Patou market Joy as "the world's most expensive perfume" to us Anglos back in the 1950s? Mr Wilde's statement about people knowing 'the price of everything but the value of nothing' springs to mind

Besides, I don't think it is the most expensive anymore - I think Cedric mentioned something called JAR perfumes which are even more absurdly priced.

Well...I got the 3 CC smells earlier this week.
    I recently acquired 1872 in a decant trade from setamp (thanks). I had to have it....So while visiting the fourseasons site...I ended up buying all 3 mens scents.
    X is really good as well.
    I haven't grabbed my nuts and sprayed the No.1 yet.
    Maybe early next week. I have to build up the courage to spray something that costs so much ;D
    It better be good.
    Anyway, I am thoroughly impressed with 1872 and X...no regrets on those 2.

I recently bought 1872 and if any of the CC's are worth the money,this IS the ONE! In my humble opinion this BLOWS X away -- its no contest whatsoever. 1872 is absolutely AMAZING!!

I never tried No.1. Its waaaaaay too expensive -- it will be a cold day in hell before i ever spend that kind of money on a 1.7 oz. bottle of EDP. $550 - thats just NUTS!!!! >

Jeff

I just purchased the trio travel set for $250 recently.  I had sampled 1872 and X before, and liked them both (X is more straight forward, 1872 definately has a herbal kick to it--though they're both somewhat similar)--but I was most tempted by No. 1.  

Upon spraying this, it came off as being really loud and intense--something I would be weary of spraying more than two times: anything more and you'll not only make an entrance into a room, but the local zip code as well.  That being said, No. 1 develops wonderfully over time, and smells every bit as expensive as it is.  I'd be tempted to get a full bottle sometime in the future--most likely after I win the lottery  ;D.  

All kidding aside, I find these to be far superior to Amouage which are decent scents to my nose, but ultimately feel as though I'm paying more for the bottle than the scents in those cases.  (I'm not a fan of Amouage Gold--way too floral.  Silver is my favorite of the line, perhaps because it's a more sporty, peppery fragrance, followed by Dia which is nice as well, and Ceil which smells like a fresh Dia.)  

P.S. - I do believe lusciouscargo will soon be carrying the Amouage line as well.
    The Bark Bites Back.

I recently had to re-do my top 10 list due to my CC purchases....1872 is GREAT but I'm wondering if it is because of my new purchase that 1872 went straight to the top of the list.
    I LOVE AMOUAGE...I'm not ready to place the CC line up on an even line with AMOUAGE...we'll see in time  

No 1 and 1872 don't do anything for me but I love X. I had a chance to buy a bottle real cheap on this board once but I missed out. I really wish I could find someone trying to get rid of theirs.

I liked #1 best of all three. I'd buy this one if I had a chance to find it over here

Actually, I think Amouage's Dia and Ciel are more expensive, at 1.7 oz for well over $200.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballardbeau
    Actually, I think Amouage's Dia and Ciel are more expensive, at 1.7 oz for well over $200.
    Both are actually only $5 more than Clive's 1872 ($185) and X ($210) respectively.  Amouage jacked their prices up considerably within the last year or so (considerable in the sense that I recall Dia was originally available through their site at about $175 a bottle--that's a $40 price hike.)  

Then again, fourseasons.com has both and Clive's are more expensive, so I guess it depends on where you're buying from.
    The Bark Bites Back.

The prices are similar for Amouage and CC...

CC Amouage

X - $210 Dia - $215
    1872 - $185 Ciel - $190

However, No.1 by CC is $550.