Code of Conduct

Default Talk to me about Givenchy Gentleman

Yesterday my husband and I went to some fragrance outlets on Lancaster PA and my husband got Givenchy Gentleman. I have to admit I like this scent alot.
    To me it is animalistic such as Yatagan is(which I also like very much) . Very nice and manly. I was wondering what you think think about Givenchy Gentleman.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Talk to me about Givenchy Gentleman

Givenchy Gentleman is one of the greats. Perfectly well rounded. At one time I liked it so much I swore to myself that I would wear it one day of every 14. But my collection is too big for that, and I'm too unscheduled. Nevertheless, this is one that is so great to me that I wanted to be forced to pull it from the pack regularly.

This is my favorite from Givenchy, and perhaps my favorite from a designer house.

The board has had some good critiques of Gentleman recently and I look forward to all the healthy riffs members can write about this beaut.
    Later,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Serpent

Oh, man, do I love this stuff!

I'm not going to say much more now;  Givenchy Gentleman that requires my time and attention to describe adequately.  But I'll say that it is one of the greats.  It's very Modernist to me, clean and angular and smooth and a bit unforgiving.  It's masculine, but it's a different sort of masculinity from the crisp Eau Sauvages or suave Habit Rouges.  This is the smell of an architect, of someone who can create beauty from geometry and physics and mathematics.  It's the smell of the brainiac rebel, the Le Corbusier of fragrances.

AAAARRRGGH!  I don't have the time to praise this properly, but it's brilliant and very much due for a relaunch and renaissance.  (But not a reformulation, LVMH!)

Serpent: When you have time you must give your assessment of this wonderful scent! I can't wait to read it.

Serpent

The urge to write a review of Givenchy Gentleman is great, but I think I'd best bide my time before unleashing my Tolstoyesque reviews on Basenotes.

I love the scent, only problem is that it is by no means easy for a guy my age to pull off. So I don't think I'll ever finish my tiny bottle of it. If I see it for cheap I'll definitely pick one up. It's one of the manliest things I've ever smelled.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone calls it "basement scent" for the dark, wet, massive not eat the base. Is it civet :-)? I also like the way citrus and vetiver appear in the base to freshen and brighten the scent a bit. Very impressive :-)
    http://blogsorbeta.blox.pl: CdG Series 8 Energy
    (Oct. 3rd).

It is in some ways the quintessential male scent. Though called "Gentleman" there is a definate sexual and animalistic edge that becomes rounded off as it slowly evolves on the skin. Initially it has a bad boy kind of feel and as the day progresses lives up to its namesake. It comes from a completely different era when men were men and makes more recent fragrances seem, well, wimpy. I love Gentleman!

Quote Originally Posted by nqth
    Someone calls it "basement scent" for the dark, wet, massive not eat the base. Is it civet :-)? I also like the way citrus and vetiver appear in the base to freshen and brighten the scent a bit. Very impressive :-)
    I agree on that, and it is one of the reasons I love it. I love the smell of an old dusty barn, book, anything with the really old kind of smell. Also I agree that it stats out pretty gentleman like, but turns wild after a little while. Haha whoops I guess I'm going to the opposite side not agreeing. I need to get my eyes looked at.

Post Thanks / Like

Before Basenotes sent me on the private spaceship to sub orbital fragrance space, I had three scents. Givenchy Gentleman was one of them. I've never lost the taste for it in all my collecting since.
    --Chris

A dissenter here. When I whiffed this one day at TJM, I put it back down immediately. It invoked a sense of the excesses of the early seventies in which I did not participate. Definitely a potent and craft worthy item, just not something I could invisage wearing. Way too male, to the extreme. Reminds me of wide and wooly ties.

For me Chanel Platinum is a more modern and refined fragrance in this arena.

j.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cerberus
    A dissenter here.  When I whiffed this one day at TJM, I put it back down immediately.  ...

For me Chanel Platinum is a more modern and refined fragrance in this arena.

j.
    Oh my god, J, my jaw has dropped here. You sure you want to go the route of this OPINION?

You and I are going to have to settle this out by the dumpster after school.
    --Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DustB

Oh my god, J, my jaw has dropped here.  You sure you want to go the route of this OPINION?  

You and I are going to have to settle this out by the dumpster after school.
    --Chris
    Chris, that was a long time ago, and at a time when I was getting very picky; however, even though you turned me around on Kouros, and I will try it again should I see it at TJM, I'm not really very retro so...btw the dumpster was where a handful of my scents current at that time had just ended up so I was really getting picky.

IMO that Xeryus is the more flashy mod of the Givenchy and Gentlemen is for the classier gent.

j.

Post Thanks / Like

Just having fun, my friend. I'm sorry for all confusion. BN is certainly a place of many different viewpoints, and I like the occasional virtual fist fight nonsense over how we smell.

You're post made me think of matching Givenchy Gentleman with the Kevin Kline character in Ang Lee's film The Ice Storm.
    Later,
    --Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Just having fun...--Chris
    As I hit post I awaited your response... ...as I knew it would come! Oh Well, we definitely share tastes on L'Anarchiste.

j.

Gentleman is definitely the king!! I always wear it on New Years Eve by the way................

Mic.

Thanks for all your thoughts on this great scent. Husband had sprayed it on one arm to test it, than he ended up getting it, but as the day wore on I would get wonderfully fragrant whiffs as he walked past me or as we drive in the car.

Serpent dear..I do hope you reconsider and give me your thoughts on this gem.

I got a whiff of this for the very 1st time tonight and I instantly bought it at Perfumania in the mall.
    The woman gave me a card and said smell this...I said what is it? She said, just smell it.
    I did and I had to have it...When I found out it was GG....I couldn't believe that I had not even smelled or tried to smell this before....I am simultaneously embarrassed, ashamed and excited. ;D
    This one is special.
    It will be one of my 3 spritz scents...

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I tried this scent several times about a year ago and, as much as I wanted it to, it just didn't work for me. Maybe it was body chemistry, or just my opinion at the time. I plant to try it again in the future to see if something changes.

Put me in the middle on this one.

It is a great scent and undoubtedly a deserved classic. It's also, though, very, very heavy. I cannot imagine wearing this one on a hot, humid summer day.

I far prefer this house's Monsieur Givenchy. To me it smells even better and is far more versatile, yet still not "watered down" like so many of today's fragrances. Talk about a classic...

Quote Originally Posted by Ballardbeau
    Put me in the middle on this one.

It is a great scent and undoubtedly a deserved classic. It's also, though, very, very heavy. I cannot imagine wearing this one on a hot, humid summer day.

I far prefer this house's Monsieur Givenchy. To me it smells even better and is far more versatile, yet still not "watered down" like so many of today's fragrances. Talk about a classic...
    Monsieur Givenchy huh...I haven't tried this one either....Guess I'll have to try it out.

Do, RJ! This one dates back decades and is utterly timeless. It is a very dignified, old school scent but is definitely not "dated"--that's what makes it an enduring classic!

Check out the reviews on the directory.

Gentleman is in my Top Three. It‚s dreamy, heavy, deep... the kind of fragrance that says „for adults onlyš to me. The kind they don‚t make anymore. Not that there‚s anything wrong with making fragrances for the younger cats, it‚s just that I dimly remember a time when society carved out spaces and places for adults to gather and enjoy themselves as adults and converse about adult things... This fragrance is from that time. I absolutely love it.

Ha! Interesting this thread shoud come up today...I have been wearing 'Gentleman' for the past few days (again)...
    I do love Givenchy 'Gentleman'. I have worn it for years. I never tire of it. I guess at one time I could have called it my signature scent. The patchouli note really comes out strong (and the Russian leather). I think I may have purchased a few bottles of 'old stock' in the past couple years, though. It didn't smell quite the same. Something was different. The new release (the black and silver box with the gray G's on it) seems to remind me of how 'Gentleman' used to smell 'back in the day'. A great scent. And with all of the new 'fresh' scents and similar smelling fragrances out now, you can hardly tell one from the other. 'Gentleman' is a very unique, one-of-a-kind, sophistiated fragrance that I find suitable for every occasion (casual and dress).

When I wear 'Gentleman', I know I smell good and don't need anyone to tell me so!

Larry 8)