Code of Conduct

Default Scent for a hospital environment

I'm a 23 year old medical student and would like to have your opinions what to wear on hospital environment. I have several trainings with infection patients in the coming weeks, and am wondering should I not use any fragrance, or go lightly with some.

The options are the ones in my wardrobe I could consider using, but you are ofcourse welcome to suggest something else. Especially info from MD's would be welcome concerning the etiquette!

Oh, and please don't suggest niche frags, as I don't have easy access to them in such short notice.

GnuGnuAntiloop

Default Re: Scent for a hospital environment

My choice from your list would be Guerlain Vetiver. Others I would suggest are TM Cologne, Armani Eau pour homme, Boucheron pour homme, Lanvin L'homme... Practically anything fresh and unoffensive would fit the bill IMHO...

Regards,
    Tero

ps. here's a link for a German e-store, from where you can order niche scents like CSP Aqua Motu or The Different Company's Divine Bergamot, which would be ideal for a hospital environment in my opinion. Oh and they sell samples too...

http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/shopindex.html

GnuGnuAntiloop

Oh and apply VERY lightly...

T

Definitelly very lightly indeed, I'd rather not cause asthmatic reaction on the patient with something like 10 sprays of Kouros ;D

Gendarme is made for this.

I chose Vetiver but I don't know exactly why. Somehow I think it fits into the hospital environment. Clean, green, fresh and not too heavy.

If I were to choose from my personal collection I'd pick Vetiver, Diesel Plus Plus or Mugler Cologne. Tommy T would also be nice, although I don't own it.

For a medicinal smell I'd go for CdG Tea, smells like some strong ointment against skin diseases. Don't get me wrong, I love these medicinal smells.

Quote Originally Posted by noirwest
    Gendarme is made for this.
    Gendarme Gendarme Gendarme
    Definitely.

Gendarme unfortunatelly isn't sold in finland (or well, at least I've never seen it) but it definitelly seems interesting and will be ordering samples and most likely one of the gendarme line if the isn't any unpleasant surprise! Gendarme V seems perfect fit for me. Thanks! Other suggestions are more than welcome

I posted the same question a while back and in general people said Gendarme or Mugler Cologne. I already owned Mugler but I bought Gendarme too but didn't like it as much so I sold it. I'd say go with one of these two.
    I usually wear Mugler Cologne to the hospital. By the way I always smell the nurses wearing a ton of perfume.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

chances are sick people don't particurarly want to have to smell cologne at all. Maybe it might be different with infection patients, but the last time I was in the hospital it was with severe food poisoning and I would definitely not have apprecited it! If you're in contact with any patients who feel 'queasy' definitely wear none. If you go for one use Comme des Garcons Odeur 53. Relitively light, inoffensive and has someting kind of pleasantly clinical yet fresh about it. Or some other light, simple scent.

gendarme V is very subtle

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells
    I posted the same question a while back and in general people said Gendarme or Mugler Cologne. I already owned Mugler but I bought Gendarme too but didn't like it as much so I sold it. I'd say go with one of these two.
    I usually wear Mugler Cologne to the hospital. By the way I always smell the nurses wearing a ton of perfume.

╩ ╩ ╩ ╩Yes, I ALWAYS smell nurses wearing a lot of whatever they want. ╩ Seemingly to no harm....and no complaint.....
    When I was working in radiation therapy, we were specifically told to go very, very lightly, if at all. ╩Most of those patients were on concurrent chemotherapy and had extremely sensitive stomachs.
    Now, I usually wear anything I want to but go very lightly with the heavier ones. ╩ ╩ I would name Gendarme, Cologne, Monsieur Gavinchy, Original Vetiver,Chanel Pour Monsieur, Eau Sauvage, 4711 and anything in that vein as appropriate for patient contact.
    ╩ ╩ ╩Depending on your skin type and the sillage you usually leave, you may have to adjust the dosage.

╩ ╩ ╩ ╩ ╩ ╩ ╩ ╩ ╩Eric

I'm a nurse and when I was on general medical wards I wasnt supposed to wear anything! (well no scent :P)

It really can make the ill feel soooooooooo much more ill! Especially after a general anesthetic.

I think you could get away with some TM Cologne, lightly applied. Thats nice and neutral and fresh.]

Col

None of these would seem seem too safe around the hospital. I don't think so. Maybe some Odeur 53 since if someone actually detected it they wouldn't think of a cologne at all. Odeur 53 would blend in nicely with the ozone from the machines and lights.

I can think of a two "clean" scents that would be appropriate applied ever so lightly (one spray, on the neck or chest, not the arms, wrists or head)...

Gendarme (not V or 20)

Gier

and a third possibility...

Rochas Moustache

(Oh, maybe Demeter's Laundromat, but only one little mini spritz-lette on the neck!)

Griff
    Griff

If you work in a nursing home you could wear Kouros because they both smell like urine

btw I love Kouros!
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Kenzoair

Hi,

I'm a 26 yr old American medical resident.

I wear:

Gendarme
    TM Cologne
    Clean

To great effect in the hospital. Non Offensive and like everyone else mentioned a nice "clean" smell.

I've also worn Creed MI a few times. But mainly I rotate between the top 4 above that I mentioned.

Oh, and I'm planning on getting both body washes for Gendarme and TM cologne, to see how that works out.
    Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jow24
    Hi,

I'm a 26 yr old American medical resident.

I wear:

Gendarme
    TM Cologne
    Clean

To great effect in the hospital. Non Offensive and like everyone else mentioned a nice "clean" smell.

I've also worn Creed MI a few times. But mainly I rotate between the top 4 above that I mentioned.

Oh, and I'm planning on getting both body washes for Gendarme and TM cologne, to see how that works out.
    Good Luck.
    jow24, welcome to Basenotes!
    I am kind of surprised about the 212. For some reason, this one comes across as brutally strong on me.
    I do suppose that in moderation, it would be fine. As I mentioned, I think almost anything, some in extreme moderation would be fine. Clean is an excellent recommendation too.

Regards, Eric

kenzo air

bulgari blanc the'

bulgari homme

issey miyake ph

in the worse cases white musk by body shop

Thanks everyone!

Mugler Cologne is light and fresh on me so I'll propably go with that or nothing until I get the chance to try the Gendarme's and other ones mentioned here. Thanks also for noting that Gendarme would be better than V or 20!

Also Kenzoair and Iseey Miyake are scents that I've considered buying, so I quess they are possible too. Some of the suggested scents unfortunatelly are hard to come by in Finland, but I'll keep my eyes open and order samples online.

Once again, big thanks to everyone!

Overcome By Fumes

Of the choices given, probably Armani Mania, as it is popular, has a little character, and is pretty inoffensive.

I was struck by the intensely antiseptic odor of Crown Eau de Quinine recently, which could conceivably be useful--perhaps the quinine could keep the malaria down as well.

Seriously, almost anything can be acceptable in a hospital setting just as anywhere else if applied with a light enough hand.

The antibiotics, illnesses, and other odors will alter most patients sense of smell anyway. Hospitals are full of scented things to cover the evil odors of sickness and death, a little perfume on you is not going to make a bit of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    The antibiotics, illnesses, and other odors will alter most patients sense of smell anyway. ╩Hospitals are full of scented things to cover the evil odors of sickness and death, a little perfume on you is not going to make a bit of difference.
    ok, the next time you're in the emergency room with a severe flu or food poisoning puking your guts out and dry-heaving see if you appreciate the doctor's cologne. ╩Trust me, you won't and it will probable cause more nausea. ╩Sometimes it's fine and even good depending in what department you're in, but in some cases it's totally inappropriate.

Just one or two sprays of Hugo for the hospital. It's already light and warm and sweet. Very inviting to patients.

Ok this is not actually a men's one, but I would suggest Dior's 'Dune' - lightly applied.
    It is a clean scent, both men and women seem to like it, and it is somewhat uplifting, IMO.

I dont know if wearing something at a hospital is appropriate. Its kind of a smelly place already.

Basenotes Plus

I date a nurse, and part of the employment rules is NO FRAGRANCE.

To be safe (and respectful of the patients) - I would stay away from fragrances at work.....

Personally wouldn't wear anything in a hospital environment.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Prada amber pour homme...classy soapiness with a touch of discreetness and won't offend not one person for if it does then the individual hates taking showers/baths as this scent gives the impression of just a fresh out of the shower as an clean and dandy and who in their right mind hospital or not detest fresh of the shower vibe, Please give me a break!...peace
    Last edited by magnus611; 13th March 2014 at 06:42 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Geez.....kind of an old thread.......I posted in it 8 years ago....

I still stand by what I said above..... Most of the nurses still wear fragrance and it doesn't seem to cause any issues though a lot of patients are very sensitive especially the respiratory patients, those currently receiving chemotherapy and/or radiation or those that are highly allergic. Acute illness of any sort can increase chemical sensitivity as well.

It depends where you are in the hospital. If you have direct patient contact then go easy and perhaps lean toward light, fresh, fragrances that do not project too much. If you are in the business offices, then wear whatever your co-workers will tolerate or if you are an manager or better yet in admin.......(wink) wear as much of anything from any genre that you desire!

Anyone in the health care profession knows why you should not wear fragrances. As much as I love and appreciate fragrance there's a time and a place and this is not one of them. Use your brain folks.

Yea im at the hospital all the time, and your suppose to not wear fragrances. But ill tell you what 10 years there, and people honestly dont care. Generally I just wear something light and inoffensive. DG and the one, L'homme, MI... Stuff like that, that is not strong. So yea id just say nothing strong and you should be ok. Or of course you could follow the rules and nothing at all. But again I dont think many actually do that lol

Basenotes Member

I work in an operating room environment, but I'm non-clinical and deal mainly with paperwork and office issues. I wear cologne daily, but I do so conscientiously and very very lightly. I keep it safe with Chanels usually. But I was thrilled by Tobacco Vanille when I bought it and wore it a few times. Lots of compliments but not something I'd wear everyday. But for those with direct patient contact? I really can't imagine wearing anything more than a skin scent. It's not appropriate.

i work in a ER and wear scents lightly...i would agree with the others recommendations of gendarme and geir..own both and i love them....very subtle and understated
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by lanky View Post
    i work in a ER and wear scents lightly...i would agree with the others recommendations of gendarme and geir..own both and i love them....very subtle and understated
    I recently got a few samples of Gendarme EdP and would have to agree - Gendarme is one of the only i would wear!
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

most people will not run into any problems with human resources or supervisors in the hospital unless you really over do it...my friend who is a RT was known as the "cologne guy" and did have a meeting with HR regarding this...but you could smell him even before he walked past you,,it was like a bubble around him....he did have good taste in fragrances though and i enjoyed it
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Seconding the opinion that scentless may be preferable.

Last edited by OPomone; 25th April 2014 at 09:39 PM.

This is gonna sound arrogant, but if you're a med student you have less leeway than if you were the Chief of _____. This applies to any profession actually - being the boss you can wear what you want without worrying about it as much than if you're in a training phase. I advise you to be very careful and do things like Gendarme or Mugler Cologne applied lightly.

Basenotes Junkie

If your favourite fragrance is available in a soap, and/or shower gel/deodrant, you could always maybe use these instead of actually using the perfume.

It may be a nice way to have some scent but nothing to obvious, and youd also be able to still enjoy your favourite fragrance without annoying anybody.

You would need any. But if so, lightly apply Bond No. 9 Bleecker Street

Encre noir

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Default Scent for a hospital environment

Quote Originally Posted by Jajuicy View Post
    Encre noir

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Encore Noire is a classy fragrance, a bit strong perhaps. A light spritz of this May be fine, but no more
    Last edited by Ghosst; 25th March 2014 at 10:53 PM.

Even though you have been a Doctor now for 10 years, suggest Molecule 01. Just one note (ISO Super E), but it is subtle and inoffensive.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

To elaborate on prior post, I work in a hospital and wear whatever I want but always lightly. I feel less comfortable wearing beasts like Tobacco Vanille or anything by Montale LOL since they are just too loud (even though they smell GREAT). I do wear "non clean" scents all the time - and I think it's silly for one to only wear soapy fragrances. I wear any scent that I can do 1-2 sprays and not clear out the room with, and I will go more sprays with scents that are less potent but not clean (many gourmands such as Cuir Beluga or DHI) or more appealing (aquatic for example like Erolfa) because I can modify and avoid overwhelming others with my scent. I'll wear MI, Dior Homme, Bleecker St, etc all the time without hesitation I just control how much I wear.

Again though I am not in a student level, and I think anyone who is still in training should stay more a bit more reserved because you are still under scrutiny not just of your patients but also your superiors (attending physicians, staff nurses, even residents, etc). It's one thing to be "that guy" when you're the mentor, it's worse when you're "that guy" as the mentee cause it's one more thing to get judged on.

Just use common sense and you'll be alright. My advice for a student would be clean scents like what I mentioned before (Mugler, Gendarme, maybe even Allure Homme Sport) and maybe venture into non clean/soapy if you can limit potency (gourmands rarely offend unless overbearing).

I'd go with light scents like YSL L'Homme, Creed MI, Hermes Voyage EDT, LIDG, Halston Unbound.....
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

I recommend wearing nothing more than deodorant.

But if you must, determine first if you wish to stand out or blend in. From there it should be easy.

Just an FYI, this thread is nine years old and the OP asking the question hasn't logged onto Basenotes for six years.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Just an FYI, this thread is nine years old and the OP asking the question hasn't logged onto Basenotes for six years.
    true - that happens often, it seems. thread necromancy. BUT -- this is a subject that can certainly be helpful to many of us. There is a time and a place for fine fragrances, but from my experience in the medical/hospital field that world is not one of them.
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Quote Originally Posted by stargarden View Post
    true - that happens often, it seems. thread necromancy. BUT -- this is a subject that can certainly be helpful to many of us. There is a time and a place for fine fragrances, but from my experience in the medical/hospital field that world is not one of them.
    Absolutely! Which is why I kept this one open. Hospitals are still around, it seems! Imagine rolling into the ER with nausea and getting blasted by someone who went a little heavy on the Leather Oud that day.

Nightmare material right there!

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Imagine rolling into the ER with nausea and getting blasted by someone who went a little heavy on the Leather Oud that day.

If you ever get a chance to smell Dilantin, (and hope you don't) it smells like the most crisp and deep mint you ever smelled. I'd say anything in good taste and moderation.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I'd go with something fresh and sharp - Azzaro Boarding for instance. Someone mentioned Guerlain Vetiver and I agree, that might pass. Try also Guerlain Boisee. Davidoff Cool Water, old but gold. Hugo by Hugo Boss (1995.), synthetic on one side, but I think it's the perfect fragrance for an uniformed person as it's really "clean" (army, police, and in your case hospital)