Code of Conduct

Default Vetiver Extraordinaire is that good - PART 3

Well, I got my 5 mL sample vials that were sent from Malle's Paris boutique after a week of waiting: one vial each of Vetiver Extraordinare, Musc Ravageur, Bigarade Concentree, and Angeliques sous la Pluie.

The Musc Ravageur is a great scent-very warm and spicy.

However, I think that I may have found my holy grail, and that is Vetiver Extraordinare. It smells so phenomenal that words can't even describe how good this scent is. It's not at all like the university disinfectant smell of Guerlain's Vetiver (which I'm still desperately trying to get rid of). Instead, it's a wonderful citrusy/herbal vetiver.

I'll keep you posted on further updates.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: Vetiver Extraordinaire is that good - PART 3

Darn these VE threads! I'm just this close to ordering it! I started out posting that I found this to be a strange
    scent. I revisited my sample and now I'm starting to like it,can you believe it! :
    I'm not sure yet if I'll choose Musc Ravageur or this one though.

I just tried VE also and I agree its really good. For comparison I sprayed L'Artisan Vetiver on my other hand. The L'Artisan smells fresher with some citrus and menthol type smell to it which is nice. The VE is darker and earthier but smooth at the same time. Not at all like Route du Vetiver which I do love too.

Its interesting how Vetiver scents smell totally different. Most of them I do like except for rare exceptions like the sharp ones like Guerlain and Annick Goutal.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I agree. I liked Guerlains Vetiver for its wearability,although in the end it could be a little boring if you use it too much. Goutals vetiver was just right for me ,earthy,but not too extreme, and wearable at the same time,although no citrus at all. Route du Vetiver crossed that line for me, too "rough" too earthy , too green and too tough for me too wear. Maybe I'm searchin for something in between Guerlains Vetiver and Goutals vetiver, and maybe VE is it.

It used to be amouage. Now everyone is raving about frederic malle.

This always happens on the board one thing gets blown up for a little while. Amouage is still great stuff and I'm getting a bottle of Silver Cristal soon
    It used to be I, Bois du Portugal and Santal Noble and before that Piper Nigrum. Those are still great scents it just seems everyone is discovering Malle right now. How long has this line been out?
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!

Oh my god, I ordered some (I'm soo weak) and my wife doesn't know (yet). I'm soo gonna get punished for this!
    I hope it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells
    How long has this line been out?
    Looks like 2000 was the first year of release for any from this line.

Why So Serious?

Finally tried this stuff today cuz of that person who started this topic and caused half of the basenote population to test it in desparation.  It is undoubtedly the best vetiver frag i have encountered, actually one of the best overall frags i've had the pleasure to come across.  It does smell like a rain forest with a river on your side, wet woods, wet stones, wet leaves falling down from the tree and then you catch a breeze from the wind, deeply inhale the air around you.  I will bring this stuff if i ever go hiking or canoeing or camping, will enjoy the life of the amazon.  The topic lived up to its hype, well done! However i still think Musc Ravageur is better, that stuff is just unbeatable, but then i dont wanna start another Musc Ravageur thread now do i?
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

OK, so where can I go try this stuff? I just called Barney's and they claim not to carry it anymore.

How about any other national retailers?
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. LumiŤre Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

I went to Barney's website too and its sold out. I was fortunate enough to get a bottle of this in a trade. I can do decants of it so send me a message if you want some.

Quote Originally Posted by CreedFan
    OK, so where can I go try this stuff?  I just called Barney's and they claim not to carry it anymore.  

How about any other national retailers?
    Which store did you call? Barney's not carrying it anymore didn't sound right so I called Barneys Beverly Hills (310-276-4400). They have it in stock in both the 3.4 and 1.7 sizes. If you call the store, ask for the Frederic Malle counter, they will ship it to you. Not sure what shipping will cost. Also, if you ask nicely that samples of other Malle fragrances you might be interested in be included in your shipment, they are usually accomodating.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells
    This always happens on the board one thing gets blown up for a little while. Amouage is still great stuff and I'm getting a bottle of Silver Cristal soon
    It used to be I, Bois du Portugal and Santal Noble and before that Piper Nigrum. Those are still great scents it just seems everyone is discovering Malle right now.
    What about Clive Christian No. 1? Shall I start a new thread?
    The Bark Bites Back.

I still think that the fragrance industry owes us a great deal of thanks. Afterall, how many bottles of Guerlain Vetiver, Stardust, Givenchy and Gucci Pour Homme, TM Cologne, JHL, Piper Nigrum, M7, A*men (you name the flavor of the month), have been sold due to us? I got an email though thanking me for my review of VE from Malle......quite a compliment. However, I will stand by my assessment. Vetiver Extraordinaire lives up to its name. I wore it again last night and am no less in love with it than i was at first sniff. Truly a work of art.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G.
     I got an email though thanking me for my review of VE from Malle......quite a compliment.    
    you're a STAH!!! really, that's cool!

Hello Paul,
    Sorry for the very late reply I want to thank you for your previous response to a question I posted regarding other fragrances that were put together by Mr. Ropion. I apologize for the lack of manners on my part.
    Best Regards,
    rei