Code of Conduct

Default vintage Guerlains?

I just bought a new bottle of Jicky pure parfum since my current bottle is getting low, and bought Mitsouko blind after wondering about what other old Guerlain creations were like, and if they were as interesting as Jicky.  I've been reading up on other vintage Guerlains, especially Vol de nuit and L'Heure Bleue, and they both sound compelling and I think I'm going to get both of those in pafum strengh soon.  Jicky has chararcteristics of both antiquity and modernity, a quality about it I love, and I'm hoping these other Guerlains are equally intriguing and decadent.  Angelique Encens has the same feel, as well as many Serge Lutens - they feel as though they could have been around a century ago and will still be equally relevant a century from now.  Since I now have all the Serge Lutens I want I'm now thinking early Guerlains might be my next fascination.  But besides Jicky you never really see any other vintage  Guerlains mentioned around here... any fans of them out there?

MJH

Default Re: vintage Guerlains?

The first choice seems the most obvious: Shalimar in parfum strength. And the second doesn't come in parfum strength: Mouchoir de Monsieur. Mouchoir dates back to 1904, and (to my nose, at least) forms a trinity with Jicky and Shalimar. Shalimar was first created when Jacques Guerlain added a whopping dose of vanillin to Jicky. Mouchoir de Monsieur isn't as 'bottom-heavy' as Jicky tends to be, and it lacks the oriental, vanilla-opulence of Shalimar. AprŹs L'ondée is fantastically beautiful, but even I find it too feminine for me to be comfortable wearing. Of the other vintage/historic Guerlains, Eau de Cologne Impériale, Eau de Fleurs de Cédrat, Eau du Coq all seem to be variations on a theme of classic citrus cologne. I like them all, but (to be honest) can't see much point in owning more than one of them: I already have Impériale, and later picked up Eau de Guerlain (an EdT instead of the traditional EdC) in a swap.

If you're looking for other vintage parfums that have the same 'vibe' as the classic Guerlains, I'd suggest looking at the classic Caron extraits, like Bellodgia, Nuit de NoĎl, Narcisse Noir, Tabac Blond, En Avion or Alpona. And I'd highly recommend Molinard's Habanita, too: I have and love the EdT, but the parfum can be found on-line for prices far less than the Guerlain and Caron perfumes sell for.