Code of Conduct

Default How To Apply Parfum From A "Stoppered" Bottle?

A question for you frag-o-philes:

I've recently acquired several bottles of parfum with the classic ground glass stopper. I seem to remember, as a little boy, watching my mom use the stopper to dot perfume onto her skin. Is that the preferred way? Or does touching the stopper to the skin result in some contamination of the juice, which might shorten its shelf life? The bottles I'm talking about are 1/2 ounce or 15 ml, so I don't want to try to "splash" the perfume out of the bottle.

Thanks for your advice.

Default Re: How To Apply Parfum From A "Stoppered" Bottle?

I have a few bottles like this and had the same problem. I got empty 1/6 oz. roll-on bottles on eBay for cheap and use an eyedropper to put the liquid in that, and use the roll-on decant to apply it. You don't have to worry about spilling it, contaminating it with skin oil or foreign substances and is just overall easier than using the original bottle.
    here's the page of the eBay seller I got mine from:
    http://stores.ebay.com/readbaby92_W0...eNameZl2QQtZkm

bwp, thanks so much! I'll check it out.

no problem! The seller is great and delivers really fast, btw.

Short of using the roll on's which definitely are great, I just use a dropper. If the bottle is deeper, you need to find a longer dropper.
    I have also decanted into atomizers which do have the potential to waste some juice but I am so used to applying this way, I just continue to do so.
    Check out www.specialtybottle.com for incredibly cheap atomizer bottles in different sizes with no minimum order.
    Ultimately, the roll ons are the best because as bwp says, no waste and ultimate control.
    Sometimes a splash is just refreshing and fun so don't completely discount that method!

Eric

You can simply go ahead and buy atomizer bottles. It will give you a lot more control on how much to apply.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Quote Originally Posted by phantagarow
    You can simply go ahead and buy atomizer bottles. It will give you a lot more control on how much to apply.
    I totally disagree. With rollons you have total precision with location and amount and don't waste liquid like atomizers do. Some atomizers are difficult to control the pressure and the amount sprayed. And you notice when you spray there's always a mist that doesn't hit your skin?

i would think that rollons contaminate the scent because the rollerball touches your skin and then rolls back into the bottle.

the dropper sounds like the best deal if you dont want to waste anything with an atomizer

A parfum is concentrated. Decanting it would just waste more of it. I would think that the joy of using the stopper would override any and all other considerations. With a bit of finesse you should be able to dab it on without much rubbing and avoid any real contamination, just letting the oil slide off the dropper with a slight passage.

If I had any of those beautiful Bagutti bottles I would never consider anything else.

I know, you could get a straw and put it in the bottle, suck up just a tiny amount then stop the end with your finger to hold the liquid in, put over the area you want it and release your finger and the liquid... :

Serpent

Millions and millions of women for so many years have been using the stopper of their bottles to apply their scent. It provides a mess-free way to apply exactly where you want the scent to go. As another poster wrote, the roller ball cycles skin oils and flakes into the juice just the same way, and, unlike the stopper, one could not even wipe the ball off as one could do with the stopper as the ball is in constant contact with the juice as one applies.

Unless one plans on letting one's juice sit for fifty years - and, if so, the amount of oils contaminating it would probably be minutes as one likely will only have used it only very few times - I wouldn't really worry about using the stopper. That's how it was made to be applied. Moreover, just there's just something very sensual and even romantic about applying parfum in that fashion. I personally feel that dropping the scent on, as I've done from vials, never really breaks the scent open, but the stopper seems to crack open the scent for me, activating it. I really prefer using the stopper and don't worry about the what goes into the juice. If it's good juice, it'll be gone long before a few little skin flakes can deteriorate it...