Code of Conduct

Default Antaeus Revisited...

Hello Guys!
    I intend to buy blind Antaeus... I know it's a love or hate it fragrance but I decided to take my chances.
    Just want you to desmistify this scent!!
    Some say it's the gift of the gods to the mankind, others say it's almost just smoke...
    I don't smoke and truly I hate the smoke smell! For sure I don't want to smell like I'm a smoker!!!
    I'm not affraid of STRONG fragrances since I'm a man who loves Kouros, Lapidus, Guerlain Vetiver, Jacomo de Jacomo (terrible top notes - wonderful dry down), Bogart, One Man Show, Polo, Azzaro etc.
    These days, i'm trying to get used to Fendi Uomo, for example...
    What I'd be glad to know is: Antaeus smells like pipe tobacco or any other kind of smoke or is just a dark fragrance (without floral/citric notes)?
    If its dry down is similar to Jacomo's than I'll take it without a doubt! If It's like those CUBA fragrances, ARGH! I'll forget about it...
    Any kind of sweetness in this one? ???

Default Re: Antaeus Revisited...

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs
    Hello Guys!
    I intend to buy blind Antaeus... I know it's a love or hate it fragrance but I decided to take my chances.
    Just want you to desmistify this scent!!
    Some say it's the gift of the gods to the mankind, others say it's almost just smoke...
    I don't smoke and truly I hate the smoke smell! For sure I don't want to smell like I'm a smoker!!!
    I'm not affraid of STRONG fragrances since I'm a man who loves Kouros, Lapidus, Guerlain Vetiver, Jacomo de Jacomo (terrible top notes - wonderful dry down), Bogart, One Man Show, Polo, Azzaro etc.
    These days, i'm trying to get used to Fendi Uomo, for example...
    What I'd be glad to know is: Antaeus smells like pipe tobacco or any other kind of smoke or is just a dark fragrance (without floral/citric notes)?
    If its dry down is similar to Jacomo's than I'll take it without a doubt! If It's like those CUBA fragrances, ARGH! I'll forget about it...
    Any kind of sweetness in this one? ???
    To my taste there are no smoke similarities at all. Just non-smokers might consider it to be. ;D

As for floral notes I strangely find in it some intersection with Grey Flannel.

Staying power is GREAT and goes hand in hand with longevity of Guerlain's Vetiver which lasts on me for ages.

Finally, I love it.

I don't get smoke from this, and tobacco is not listed as one of its notes:

Top note : Lemon, Lime, Coriander, Clary Sage

Middle note : Thyme, Basil, Rose, Jasmine

Base note : Patchouli, Castoreum, Labdanum, Oakmoss

To me, it's one of those wonderful eighties chypres with its oakmoss/patchouli/labdanum accord. It is strong and dark with an ambery drydown.

others say it's almost just smoke...
    I don't smoke and truly I hate the smoke smell! For sure I don't want to smell like I'm a smoker!!! ...
    No, there is no smell of smoke or tobacco. I would not say dark either; it is strong with a lot of oakmoss in the drydown.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Antaeus is my scent no. 1 and I am sure Ric is with me here!

It is just absolutely fabulous...........and no smoke at all. Just a hint of leather perhaps.

Mic.

Their is nothing quite like Anteaus. It is a must try!

Have you considered Davidoff Zino? I like Zino even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentual
    Have you considered Davidoff Zino? I like Zino even better.
    Is Antaeus similar to Zino Davidoff??

Anteaus and Zino are both 80's power fragrances that are dark and rich. Zino is a spicy, flowery scent that is extremely masculine. Long lasting with a rich, smooth ambery drydown.

oop, an Antaeus thread, and I almost missed it !

wow, where to begin..

Mic, I'm with you 110%. I've tried everything, but, I still think Antaeus is quite possibly the best I've tried of everything. Incredible - to my nose, compared to anything back to back, I always prefer Antaeus.

RCavs, you'll love it. It is just as every bit as good as Jacomo, only much much more complex and better.

It's different every time! From the harsh leathery top notes to it's sweet red-berry-like beeswax drydown, I love every stage. It's rich, but light, but intense, but subtle - fitting in all occasions, climates. It's a brilliant concoction.

It's nothing like Zino. I love Zino too, but it's completely different.

It's 80s, but timeless. RCavs, if you get it, post back what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    RCavs, if you get it, post back what you think.
    They are unique fragrances and can be obtained inexpensively. Get both and post back.

RCavs, get Antaeus and you're going to love it. I'm with the Icks (mIC and rIC), and say Anteaus is near perfect. It certainly is one that a fragrance jockey like you must know, either in the back of your head or on your skin. Antaeus is a milestone, if not City Hall at the end of all the milestones of men's fragrances.

My bet is it will blow your nose, er, mind.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Well, Folks, thanks for all the comments!
    (and keep me telling what you think about Antaeus!!)
    I'm going to take my chances! It seems to be a great fragrance and It'll be my first Chanel, since the perfume shops here only have Allure and Egoiste, two scents I don't care about...
    That's why I'll buy blind (again... LOL!)
    By the way, I love Ungaro I & II and they seem to be created by the same perfumer of Antaeus! I wish Antaeus had that incense note of Ungaro II!!!

Thanks god, Antaeus isn't similar to Zino Davidoff!!
    I hate Zino top notes!(and maybe middle)... It smells like it's a rotten floral with spices!!! I have nothing against floral/spicy fragrances, I like Sung, for example...
    Zino base notes, are sweet and for me, is how Rocabar should smell! But I have no patience to pull through all those initial rotten floral notes...
    So, If any of you want to swap a 30 ml 90% boxed bottle of Zino, IM me... ;D

A TRUE CLASSIC MASCULINE WOODY FRAGRANCE THAT FOLKS ARE GOING TO BE WILLING TO SPEND CRAZY AMOUNTS OF CASH ON AS IT GETS SCARCER. smellitnow

Yes, I must admit that I do like Antaeus a lot. But, I have to wear it lightly though. One spritz is enough to last quite a while. And after wearing it to the office a few times, I'm a bit more comfortable wearing it around my colleagues.

Now here's a gorgeous men's scent I find way too masculine for me to wear, it definitely takes a man to wear Antaeus!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darber muss man schreiben."

Dammit, i HAVE to try the mighty Antaeus!!
    I own and enjoy these super-masculine colognes:
    Zino, Bel Ami, Santos Concentree, Aramis, Yatagan.
    Something tells me i would really enjoy Antaeus.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Ok, People, you won!!!
    I couldn't resist!!!! I bought Antaeus last night!!
    I hope It is half of everything you said that it was! ;D
    I hope I like it... I bought a 100 ml bottle...

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs
    Ok, People, you won!!!
    I couldn't resist!!!! I bought Antaeus last night!!
    I hope It is half of everything you said that it was! ;D
    I hope I like it... I bought a 100 ml bottle...
    Please tell us what you think of Antaeus, RCavs!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Hello Again, Guys!!

My Antaeus was finally delivered!!
    Well, what can I say? It's marvellous, superb!
    It's so classy, so distinct! Smells rich!
    My girlfriend loved it and complimented me in a way she had never done before!
    Here, at work, I got another compliment from a co-worker! Wow, I don't wear fragrances to get compliments, but it's always good when we get one!
    IMO, Antaeus is subtle, stays close to the skin, rich, very rich! I don't understand why people in basenotes think It's a powerhouse!
    Smelling it I can notice something I can't describe right now that links it to the jacque polge's Ungaro creations!
    Antaeus has just reached my top 5!! 8)

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE PREVIOUS POSTS AND IF YOU KNOW ANOTHER SIMILAR SCENT, PLEASE TELL ME! ;D