Code of Conduct

Default Just got YSL Nu! a review. (Another Long One)

Well guys (and girls),

I just picked a gift set up YSL's NU EdP.

After sampling some on my finger, I left the store, and then ten minutes later ended up buying a set at another store.

I see this as a very androgynous scent.

The opening smells like a new pair of cowboy boots. Also like church incense, wafting up around the deep purple stained glass windows that affix the gaze of a young daydreaming ADD kid like me, dying to get out of church and go outside to play. These things go together for me. On the back of our weekly church missal guides, was a page of ads by our sponsors. There was an ad on there from a cowboy boot/western apparel store in the next town over. When I was a kid, in my small town, everybody wore cowboy boots. Unfortunately, due to my perceived emotional problems and anticipated aggressive tendencies , my parents would never let my have cowboy boots with pointed toes on them. Every year, a week before I started a new school year, they took my to the boot store for a new pair of cowboy boots. And every year I had to get the squared toe, blunt, snubby, clunky boots. I think my parents thought I was going to deal with potential bullies by kicking them in the balls, so they thought square toe boots might do less damage...

Anyway, I used to sit in church looking at the ad, In the pious light of purple glass, and incense, DAYDREAMING, of the day when my parents would finally give in and let me get some REAL cowboy boots, not some "Sketchers with Spurs"(minus the spurs of course).

So every Sunday, it was Boot leather, Incense, and purple glass.

To me Nu, is a trinity of these things.

I know my Kouros review was all about church as well, but what can i say?!

Sometimes a scent will also remind me of a particular song. And in this case it reminded me of one song immediately. When I smelled it, the song that started playing in my head was "The Things You Said"( I think that's the title), by Depeche Mode from their album, Music for the Masses.

Also I had a dream one time. I think I was in Hell. It was evening and every thing was frozen over. It was dark and I was walking through a house my parents used to rent out to people. There was nobody else around and EVERYTHING was made out of dark blue glass. The walls, the shelves, the windows. Everything in the silent, frozen world was made out of this glass. I must have been 10, when I dreamed this, but its one of the most vivid dreams that I still remember to this day. And Nu, reminds me of this dream. Its weird how other YSL scents have made me think about other dark dreams I've had regarding cemetaries with secret underground roadways for the dead( Kouros Cologne Sport). I know, my mind can be a bit dismal and macabre (well my subconscious anyway), but scents that impact you, hit you in that same area of your mind.

Any way, back to the actual smell of Nu EdP...
    The scent starts out superficially like a cross between M7 and Piper Nigrum, having the mystery of the first and the spice of the second. It has a real peppery, nutmeg, "eggnog" thing going on at first. An orchid pops in for a bit too. It does get sharp and it seems to have some cumin in it. It reminds me a bit of Eau D'Hermes (which scares me, because I don't want people to think I don't bathe), but there is to me a similar spice accord.

Nu's drydown is bizarre. It seems to keep getting sharper and more detached as it goes on. Its VERY dry. Some on the women's board hate it because they find it acrid, razor sharp, and too angular. It seems like something Siouxsie Sioux would wear. I can't say too much about the drydown, since I have just aquired it. However, I think it will work well on my skin, and its a really cool change of pace. However I just sneezed, and my dad sneezed twice in the last hour; so that's not good. Also, I think I may sneeze again before I finish this... I get self conscious when people sneeze. It could be that I put alot on, since I was trying to test it out.

What do you guys think?

Regards,

Indie Guy

Default Re: Just got YSL Nu! a review. (Another Long O

Yeah, I do see a similarity to the dryness of Rive Gauche pour homme.

Sometimes I think if ANY scent has the smell of dust on a hot lightbulb, its RG!

I can tell that Nu is one of those scents that makes me hyper...possibly with sexual energy. When I wear Gucci pour homme, 212, Declaration, Rive Gauche and certain other spicy sharp scents, I get a bit keyed up and anxious for doing the nasty. Certain spicy scents with a sharp edge. Plus these are the ones that I get the most compliments on. They work well on my skin.

Since I've been letting the Nu wear on my skin, I've been in a hyper, sexual mood! I'd love to smell this on a girl! (I've never met a hot nun, but that doesn't stop me from having certain fantasies. If ever there was a scent that a naughty nun would wear, whilst being boinked in the confessional, I think Nu would do!

If I could just tweak Nu and change about five percent of it, It would be IMO perfect. (I'd get rid of all the florals, for sure).Also I wish the black pepper would stay louder for longer. But even then, I like the androgeny of it.

Quote Originally Posted by K
    Another excellent review. Some imagery Nu & Kouros invokes in you! I'd like to see what Avignon stirs up.

Apparently I need to hang out in churches more.
    I haven't tried Avignon yet, but based on all the stuff I've read about it, it will either inspire me to write a book, or make me regress completely!

Great review Indie!

Square toed boots can do serious damage too--more of an impact zone!

Now I'm going to give Nu another try. Times I've sprayed it on my wrist nothing came of it and it seemed gone far too quickly. I've bought the soap a few times at Marshalls and have liked it for before-bed showers but the scent never did anything for me.

In concept it seems similar to Rive Gauche Pour Homme to me--that dryness. Do you see any similarity?
    Thanks again and great post!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Another excellent review. Some imagery Nu & Kouros invokes in you! I'd like to see what Avignon stirs up.

I have nothing to add. I considered getting the EDP at TJ Maxx a few days back, but when I realize how many scents I already have, I stopped myself. Agree that it is androgynous ... reminds me in some respects of Tabac Original.

Apparently I need to hang out in churches more.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Great review IndieGuy,
    I especially like the Depeche Mode comparison. I'm a big DM fan and I listened to the song again today while sniffing at my wrist (where I sampled Nu EdP) and can understand your thinking.

The topnote of Nu is really confusing to me. I can't make out the Bergamot (as stated on the label of the tester) and first there's no incense at all IMO. Then the wild orchid comes through, but faintly, not flowery at all. Then the incense starts to work. I really thought I was sitting in a big old church (although I'm protestant and I never experienced incense at church during my childhood). The label also says there's sandalwood. I can smell it, but it's not the usual warm smell you know from scents like Egoiste, but a colder, harsher sandalwood, purer maybe.
    I think the Sandalwood soap by Roger&Gallet comes close to this kind of sandalwood.
    All the warmth of the basenotes of Nu seems to be comming from the incense, the orchid has almost faded away and there's woody incense and something else I can't figure out.

Whoo, what a great scent, don't you think it's a little bit underrated? I don't know how it's like in the U.S., but in Germany it isn't very popular.

Hi Timothy, and Merry Christmas and Happy Nu Year to you all . . .

Timothy, I think what you can't figure out, may be neroli. At the very end of NU's drydown, I'm beginning to note an unexpected, citrusy 'shot.' I notice this more on my collar, than on my skin, but it's there. This really is a serpentine scent. Whenever I think it's 'over,' a little something NU starts to materialize. Indie . . . I don't smell cumin in NU at all, and it does not make me sneeze . . . use a little less. Also, I've found that the best way to 'wear' Nu, is not to spray repeatedly in one spot . . . but several sprays in different places. For me, this maintains the mystery of the fragrance, rather than to intensify the effect by spraying several times in one place. When I've said that for me, NU is androgynous, I do not mean 'unisex.' Androgynyous to my thinking, is much more difficult to come by. This fragrance is the one that I can think of, that maintains the conflict of a man / woman personality, througout. Other unisex products that I've worn or sampled, immediately lean in one direction, from my frame of reference. This one keeps me guessing. What an offbeat, fun and sexy concoction.

timothy,

I'm glad you could see the Depeche Mode thing!

mgarisbn,

Yeah, I thought it was cumin at first, now I don't think so. Its just such a rush of things that hit you over the head at once...

I like your description of it being androgynous rather than unisex. I didn't get it at first, the distinction, but you are absolutely dead on. There are things in this scent that are both overtly masculine and feminine, like you said.

While I like this scent and will wear it out on occasion...damn, I think this stuff would drive me crazy on a girl. Especially a girl with a bit of a domineering side. Talk about a mindf*ck!

Hi Indie Guy,

I hope you find just the right . . . Dominatrix type, to torture you with NU!!

Quote Originally Posted by mgarisbn
    Hi Indie Guy,

I hope you find just the right . . . Dominatrix type, to torture you with NU!!
    LOL! Thats what I want for X-mas, I think

I love the scent! Nice Review!

I really think it they remarked the scent in a new bottle to men they would have a hit instead of having to clearence it all.

But HEY discount is better for us

:P Hi Scentimus . . . you said it!

Just chiming in that I love this stuff. I have the EDP. 8)

Never tried the EDT really, just a couple of sphritzes at Duty Free and couldn`t detect a huge difference at that time.

What I love the most is the use of iris with the incense accord. This one reminded me a lot of CDG 2...same dark yet somewhat sweet aura...It`s the only thing Tom Ford has done that I actually like to wear. Everything else is derivative, uninspired drek in my opinion.

marlen

Indie,

Don't tell me you were at an YSL shop without testing Rive Gauche for women - AGAIN?!

Mic.

Hi, Marlen . . .

YOU SAID IT!! I absolutely agree with you.

This is a "cold spice" scent for me - like Black Cashmere or M7. Those are the scents that are full of spices and at the same time do not have that "come hither" quality of spicy, sweet stuff.
    A very reserved, private scent. Great ad (for edt I guess) - with Emmanuel Seigner. It immediately made me think of the "9th Gate" based on Arturo Perez Reverte's "Dumas Club".
    Unfortunately it does not last on me.

I am quite interested in Nu and I am considering buying a bottle.

What is the mail diff between the edt and the edp?

Mic.

With such well-written and self-effacing reviews I now know why I've become a basenotes addict. This is truly one of the best forums for discussions of a
    'sensorial' nature.

Ah, what the rest of the world is missing!
    Keep up the good work. More reviews!
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Just testet the edt on my hand here in my lunchbreak..........and I really do not agree with any of you!!

It is VEEEERY floral in my opinion and not unisex in any way. If I did a blind test of Nu I would NEVER EVER be in doubt that it is a female scent.

It reminds me of some of the older Dior scents.

OK - not saying I do not like it and still it may be my first "female scent".

Mic.

Mic, just like Serpent pointed out there are 2 versions of NU. The newer edt is much more feminine and not half as complex as its edp predecessor. Im sure you tried the wrong one. When in the store the next time make sure you get the original.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyManMatt
    Mic, just like Serpent pointed out there are 2 versions of NU. The newer edt is much more feminine and not half as complex as its edp predecessor. Im sure you tried the wrong one. When in the store the next time make sure you get the original.

Matt
    Yes, I tried the edt - will try edp tomorrow (I know they have it in the same shop)!

Matt, can you tell me more about the difference?

Mic.

Yeah, but will it repel those pesky attic squirrels?