Code of Conduct

Default Creed Vintage Tabarome

This saturday I have also tried this scent from a sample, so below are my impressions:

I was very disappointed with the opening notes. I was expecting Sir Winston Churchill with his cuban cigar and instead it reminded me of my grandmother with her old makeup powder in her face. For the first minutes I even thought this scent to be too feminine for my tastes.

However, we have always to respect Creed. It is curious how I just donęt care to the first notes of most of their scents, but after a few minutes they start to change and then they give me hours of pleasure until they finally fade away. Most Creeds have been very long lasting on my skin and it is usually their middle and base notes that impress me. Above all, the fact that their base notes never break down or become stinky on my skin is really a plus. It must be due to the quality of their ingredients.

Creed is a perfume house I always thought I would never care for, but after I tried some of their scents I totally changed my mind. They have my respect because they make quality scents that last and smell good to the last hour.

Back to Tabarome, when I thought I would hate it, for my surprise it started to change. The middle notes made the scent "rounder" and more masculine. I think it was tobacco, but a very sweet and light one. It never became rancid as most tobacco scents on my skin do. Actually, the middle notes gave me the impression that Vintage Tabarome was in fact the grandpa of Goutal Duel, another scent I learned to love and respect. Only that DUEL fits my taste better and is more modern and easier to wear.

The base notes still had the sweet tobacco scent, but they were very dry and powdery. What we use to call a "barbershop" scent. I thought I would hate it, but the scent evolved magically, like most Creeds do, and I learned to respect it.

Not one of my favourite ones, especially because I think this scent would be more appropriate for a gentleman older than 50. This is a scent I would love to wear if I ever have grandchildren.

I was glad to try this scent. I think it helps me build a better picture of Sir Winston Churchill on my mind. He must have smelled a lot better and less agressive than I imagined before.

Default Re: Creed Vintage Tabarome

I would like to add that the final base notes really impressed me. The scent fades away gracefully, never stinking or becoming rancid, and that is a great thing for a tobacco fragrance.

I got this powdery scent smelling like rose water, slightly floral, until it disappeared. A very good barbershop end.

So, I basically hated the first notes, was surprised with the middle ones and loved the base notes. And, as I said before, I think this a scent for gentleman over their 50.

I'm ressurrecting this old thread to add my comments about Vintage Tabarome, first posted on today's SOTD thread.

My SOTD is my very first sampling of Creed's Vintage Tabarome. Wow! This is everything anyone else has mentioned. It leaps forward with tobacco, which within five minutes on my skin gives way to an incredible soapy blast! This gradually subsides, replaced by damp, wet leather and moss, with some tobacco. It is very deep and dark, so much so that it makes me wonder if this is haute concentration. Definitely not for everyday, at least not on me, but my wife really likes it, so bonus. I also like the "new" Tabarome, which is perhaps more wearable and versatile. I neither drink nor smoke, but Vintage Tabarome begs me to don a smoking jacket and a fine cigar, a glass of fine scotch in my hand.

Jeff

I wore this one for the first time today (thanks to a decant from J.W.), and I LOVE it!!  The top notes are wonderful, imo.  When I first apply it, I smell amber, lavender and green tea.  So calming.  You're right, it doesn't seem like an aggressive English bulldog scent.  But while it may not be super aggressive, it definitely has a strong, masculine aura.  Jeff, I totally agree, this would be perfect with cigars and scotch in a wood-paneled clubroom.  

Vintage Tabarome develops so beautifully on the skin.  I agree with everything trezzbr said about the dry down.  I also smell a lot of black pepper after it's been on for an hour or so, and the green tea maintains throughout.  The tobacco notes in the base are wonderful.  I wore it to brunch today, and received a very nice compliment!

Why is it so difficult to find this?!  Can anyone recommend an online site to buy Vintage Creeds?  PerfumesRaffy sell Selection Verte but no Vintage Tabarome.  And why in the heck doesn't Creed make this available in smaller sizes? GRRRR!!!

For a moment I thought Trezz was back. Then I noticed it was an old thread.

The ambergris is what makes the drydown so special in this fragrance. It starts off powdery and then morphs into a wet, musty oak lined library smell. You would swear you were in an old mansion. I recommend everyone sample this at least once in their lifetime. Totally unforgettable.

I am little confused by the name here - I have Tabarome Millesime and was searching for a Vintage Tabarome but can't find it at Fragrancenet.com or at Creed's website

Is Vintage Tabarome same as Tabarome Millesime ?
    My Top Six - Guerlain Vetiver, Santal Noble, Bois Du Portugal, Antaeus, GIT, Vetiver Extraordinaire

Wardrobe

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Two different fragrances from Creed, although somewhat related. Try a site such as http://www.parfumsraffy.com/vintagetabarome.html for a bottle or www.thepurfumedcourt.com for a sample
    Last edited by kbe; 1st February 2008 at 04:02 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

'Vintage' is the name we have applied at Basenotes to differentiate Tabarome from the newer Tabarome Millesime.

Tabarome is in the Private Collection and its distribution is more restricted. It is only available in the 250ml flacons. I bought mine off of a fellow basenoter, but I have seen Private Collection fragrances offered at online retailers.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 1st February 2008 at 04:03 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I think NeimanMarcus.com is also offering the 'Vintage' Tabarome flacon right now. For full retail of course.

I'm not positive, but I believe the Tabarome flacon sold at niemans online is the millesime due to the product description "A 21st-century update on the tobacco-infused scent."

Nevertheless the vintage is one hell of a scent, but without a doubt a try before you buy...i'd suggest theperfumedcourt.com for a small sample, before you go and buy the large flacon

Quote Originally Posted by jmarlow277 View Post
    I'm not positive, but I believe the Tabarome flacon sold at niemans online is the millesime due to the product description "A 21st-century update on the tobacco-infused scent."
    I agree that the description is confusing - but my guess is that the description is incorrect.

It is certainly something that would need to be resolved before purchasing a bottle.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Dependent

I've tried a few decants of: "Vintage" Tabaróme Creed 1875
    it is listed in our directory as
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121553.html
    Tabaróme Millésime (2000)
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121553.html

ParfumesRaffy.com lists

Creed Private Tabarome
    Tobacco leaves, green tea, pepper, ambergris.
    which I believe is Flacon only
    and the 2000
    Creed Tabarome Millesime
    Bergamot, mandarine, ginger, santal, patchouli, musk & tobacco from Havana and Virginia.

not easy to find both for sale on the web in the same place

ParfumesRaffy.com will sell you a sample set of the Creed Private Collection scents for $30.

http://www.parfumsraffy.com/creedsampleset.html

Nieman Marcus' online Creed listing is not as broad as ParfumesRaffys, of course the stores in the bigger city's may be different?
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 1st February 2008 at 04:51 PM. Reason: are you serious?

I live in dallas and frequent the niemans...they pretty much sell the entire line of creed's in the store...oddly though vintage tab is the exception...maybe they have it now, but about 2 months ago i inquired about if they had it in the store and was told no.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Interestingly enough the official Creed online site (UK) doesn't currently list Vintage Tabarome--or even mention it--for sale anywhere that I was able to access just as achanna's post indicated. No word that it is on backorder at the Creed site either.
    Last edited by kbe; 1st February 2008 at 05:05 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

For some reason, the private collection Tabarome isn't sold in the UK, so it's not listed on the UK site.
    They had it at Neimans in SF last time I was there.

I have seen notes in a couple of places lately stating that Vintage Tabarome has ceased production. Doesn't really surprise me from a shopping standpoint. It's been hard to find for some time now. I am surprised that Creed might actually be pulling one of their heritage scents. I mean, really now. . . they have some very good stuff out there, but this one significantly adds to their reputation among discriminating fragrance fanatics.

Meanwhile, I purchased what - I think - is one of the last new bottles in general circulation (not aftermarket) about two days ago. . . and have a line on some others. What does the community think - are these on the verge of becoming wildly-valuable collectors' items? Should I snap up another so I can use one, and keep the other unopened, for collectibility? Comments, please. I'm not really a collectibles kinda guy, but I would be horrified to find that I was casually using the last in a line of highly-coveted and collectible fragrance. . .

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    I have seen notes in a couple of places lately stating that Vintage Tabarome has ceased production. Doesn't really surprise me from a shopping standpoint. It's been hard to find for some time now. I am surprised that Creed might actually be pulling one of their heritage scents. I mean, really now. . . they have some very good stuff out there, but this one significantly adds to their reputation among discriminating fragrance fanatics.

Meanwhile, I purchased what - I think - is one of the last new bottles in general circulation (not aftermarket) about two days ago. . . and have a line on some others. What does the community think - are these on the verge of becoming wildly-valuable collectors' items? Should I snap up another so I can use one, and keep the other unopened, for collectibility? Comments, please. I'm not really a collectibles kinda guy, but I would be horrified to find that I was casually using the last in a line of highly-coveted and collectible fragrance. . .
    Welcome mrcologneguy!

These threads should be helpful to you:
    Five Creed Private Collection Fragrances Will Become Paris Exclusives
    Private Tabarome Vaulted

I tried it at the Niemans in SF
    Didnt like it at all
    oh well
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Thank you, basenotes community, for the comments. Of course I decided just to enjoy the nice bottle of Vintage Tabarome I found, rather than hoard it as a collectible. If you can find it, buy it now, before it's withdrawn from general circulation. It is quite wonderful stuff. Bold, unique. Very "old school," very modern -- timeless, it reaches very far back and very far forward at the same time. Tobacco - yes, but a pleasant sweet-soapy open, and incredible longevity on mid and base notes. Certain to become only more legendary with time. Lives up to its much-vaunted reputation as one of the top men's fragrances of all time.

Whoa! Look at the thread necromancy going on in this thread. All the way back to 2004, then 2005, 2008, and then 2009. This might be a record.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Anyone have the note pyramid for Tabarome handy? I am having a hard time finding it online. My google-fu isnt working today.

Tobacco Leaves, Green Tea, Pepper, Ambergris

Thanks TwoRoads!

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Whoa! Look at the thread necromancy going on in this thread. All the way back to 2004, then 2005, 2008, and then 2009. This might be a record.
    Let's add 2010.

I went to Burger King today to request some samples and to my huge surprise they had a almost full Vintage sample bottle! It's really growing on me, it seemed soapy at first but upon drying down it's very unique. Considering going there tomorrow and negotiating with the store manager to sell me the bottle, Burger King are known for their outstanding customer service.

*Location edited due to adonis' kind advice, since I want the Vintage all to myself.
    Last edited by Forza; 9th October 2010 at 06:21 AM.

One of the best fragrances deserve one of the longest threads
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

Here's to another 8 years!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    here's to another 8 years!
    lol
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

here's to another 8 years!
    lol +8888

VT has to be very difficult (and pricey) to source these days. IMO it is one of the very few fragrances here that lives up to the hype. An awesome sensory experience upon application...and it has superb longevity. When I run out, I'll wear something else.

Martin

A great classic!

- - - Updated - - -

A great and unique classic.

Thanks for sharing. Never had the opportunity to try this scent so far, but any description before testing and buying is helpful, especially since my interest for this scent is increasing.

Here's to another 8 years!
    Here's hoping Creed brings it back before another 8 years go by, and NOT re-formulated.

I've always wanted to try VT. I keep trying to imagine what it smells like by the descriptions!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Just out of curiosity, does Vintage Tabarome smell anything at all like the current Tabarome? Never smelled the vintage and I'm not fan of the current version.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Just out of curiosity, does Vintage Tabarome smell anything at all like the current Tabarome? Never smelled the vintage and I'm not fan of the current version.
    Smells nothing like Tabarome Millesime.

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    Here's hoping Creed brings it back before another 8 years go by, and NOT re-formulated.
    You can hope but it isn't going to happen as IFRA regulations would not allow this. VT is over with.

Martin

No, and I think Tabarome Millesime is a fine scent in its own right, but applying the Tabarome name to it was just something they shouldn't have done.

They have indeed little in common.