Code of Conduct

Default Daim Blond and Un Bois Vanille too feminine?

Both these Serge Lutens fragrances are listed as feminine but could a guy wear them too? I haven't tried either one but the notes sound nice.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Default Re: Daim Blond and Un Bois Vanille too feminine?

"Too Feminine" is too subjective an opinion to truly get a feel for. I think they are, but I also don't care for either. They are poster children for all I find unlikeable about many of Lutens' creations. They're way too sweet, way too strong and have a total lack of subtlety that I find to be a turn off. I absolute LOVE Un Bois Sepia and Douce Amere. However, the rest of his creations have a captioned pic next to to the word cloying in the dictionary. This is especially true with Un Bois Vanille. L'artisan's smokey and sexy Vanilia run circles around Lutens' creation.

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells
    Both these Serge Lutens fragrances are listed as feminine but could a guy wear them too? I haven't tried either one but the notes sound nice.

I wore Un Bois Vanille last night, actually. Un Bois Vanille is nowhere near a feminine fragrance; this is a very unisex fragrance. Its a very smooth vanilla based fragrance balanced out with wood and exotic spices. There are certain parts of Un Bois Vanille that really make me think Arabie and Un Bois Vanille share a couple personality traits. In the first 15 minutes of Un Bois Vanille the vanilla is so smooth it almost smells fake, but it doesnt take long for the entire fragrance to become a beautifully harmonized Vanilla fragrance. This is my favorite vanilla fragrance.

Daim Blond is a bit more feminine than Un Bois Vanille. Its one of the most beautiful leather based fragrances I have smelled. Very soft and supple suede. If you like Douce Amere, which leans toward the feminine side, then you really shouldnt have problems with Daim Blond. Id recommend giving them both a shot! Both are wearable by men.

Id recommend the Daim Blond in Haute de Parfum concentration.

Quote Originally Posted by IPaidForThisName
    Id recommend the Daim Blond in Haute de Parfum concentration.
    Is that like Eau de Couture? ;D

hmmm...neither of these fragrances are mentioned on the salons-shiseido website. I bought daim blond in singapore and like to smell it but prefer not to wear it.

AZTEC

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G.
    However, the rest of his creations have a captioned pic next to to the word cloying in the dictionary. This is especially true with Un Bois Vanille. L'artisan's smokey and sexy Vanilia run circles around Lutens' creation.
    ;D Too funny! To my nose it's exactly the opposite: L'Artisan Vanilia is so cloying it makes me cringe, it's like a vat of supermarket vanilla ice cream forgotten to melt in the sun but UBV is the only vanilla scent I can wear, it smells like a real thing - a vanilla pod. A dark, slightly woody true vanilla scent. IMO, that is.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darber muss man schreiben."

Tigs, I totally agree.
    The L'Artisan smells like some weird banana liquer to my nose.....Like a banana liquer vanilla ice cream drink. I must be the only person who gets banana from Vanilia but I do! It smells synthetic and cheap to me. I don't like sweet Vanillas which is why I like Un Bois Vanille....the woods help temper the vanilla.

I third that - I love L'Artisan Vanilia but just couldn't wear it. I tried to blend it with the Mure et Musc, as I don't like that either and the scents seemed to cancel each other out.

Now, I DO love UBV and really enjoy wearing it. It seems to move through many phases, at times spicey, at times sweet, at times woodsy.

Daim Blond is even better! A wonderful leather scent that makes you forget about saddles and handbags! It does start out a little cloying as Paul suggested, but after a few minutes a velverty suede not appears and carries the fragrance into the drydown - exquisite!

On a side note, I wore Chene and UBV together and they worked well together!

marlen

Quote Originally Posted by scenteur7
    On a side note, I wore Chene and UBV together and they worked well together!
    Now that sounds interesting! I haven't done any layering experiments with my Lutenses yet.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darber muss man schreiben."

I have tried UBV and I really liked it.
    SO I ordered a 1/3oz spray and a 1/3oz spray of Daim Blonde as well.

Sounds pretty good...I can't wait to try it.

Default l Re: Daim Blond and Un Bois Vanille too feminine?

A few weeks ago, I wrote about SMN Vanilla and mentioned that it was my favorite vanilla with Un Bois Vanille my second favorite. I need to revise that. UBV just can't be beat when it comes to vanilla fragrances. It is definitely not too feminine, and the blend of woods, smoke and spices with the sweet NATURAL-SMELLING vanilla is just sublime! I find it magical as I do every other Serge Lutens fragrance I've tried thus far. I am very sympatico with this line. A friend is going to Paris next fall, so I'm saving my shekels so I can have her bring me back some non-export SL treasures. I can hardly wait!

I mean I don 't get it, you guys are so fortunate to be able to wear all those great Serge Lutens scents easier than girls, Chene, Un Bois Sepia, Iris Silver Mist, Vetiver Oriental, Chergui, Cuir Mauresque, Muscs Koublai Khan and some of you sound desperate to try girly fem scents like Parfum de Therese or Un Bois Vanille!

These are nice but look girly scents are so boring! Oh you have no idea! I 'm suffocating with fem scents, they 're too restrictive and don 't take into account female complexity!

I do own many of the "masculine" Lutens scents but don 't really wear them for a hot date or work ! I wish I could!

Quote Originally Posted by IPaidForThisName
    Daim Blond is a bit more feminine than Un Bois Vanille. Its one of the most beautiful leather based fragrances I have smelled.
    I couldn't agree more. Daim Blond is in a league of its own.