Code of Conduct

Default bought a new bottle...Jo Malone Amber & Lavender

Well, I had a little money marked for blowing this week, and decided I was going to see if I could finally get my hands on a full bottle of my fave, Passage d'Enfer... Well, Neiman Marcus doesn't carry L'Artisan, so I'm out of luck in my town. I'm going to have to order it I guess. Which sucks.

But anyway, i was sampling all the new stuff, and i was surprised by a few things. I really liked the new Paul Smith London. I know its gotten panned on here, but it has a swagger and a bohemian appeal. I didn't remember much about it except that it smelled like coconut and suede. I also liked the Kiehl's Musk alot. I wasn't impressed at all with the Bulgari Aqua. I didn't get to try the new Guerlain L'Instant, because the SA, almost literally dragged me over to meet the Jo Malone rep.

I felt like i has been gipped out of recess early.

But, the Jo Malone rep was kind of cute, and very nice. So I checked out the line. Most of the scents were too much like single note scents for me. I liked the sample of Black Vetyver Cafe the most, but she said she would have to order one, as they didn't stock it.

I ended up buying a bottle of the Jo Malone Amber & Lavender Cologne. It was expensive; $50 for an ounce (whereas the 3 oz bottle was only $80).

I wasn't blown away by it, but its growing on me. Its a simple scent that doesn't change much. It reminds me a bit of RL's Safari for men. Its a good all purpose scent, a bit woody and old fashioned. A tad metallic and bright. I read that Jo Malone created this as an anniversary present for her husband, so I'm assuming that from a female point of view this is a sexy scent. I can detect a bit of incense and myrhh in it, which i like. It is a pretty classy scent, and it does smell like somebody with money.

has anyone else tried this scent?

any thoughts on the Jo Malone line?

Default Re: bought a new bottle...Jo Malone Amber & Lavend

I own Black Vetyver Cafe and really like it. I've tried a lot of the others in the line and like them as well. Where exactly do you live? L'Artisan is tough to find in some cities.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

My fave JM scents are Black Vetyver Cafˇ and Ginger & Nutmeg.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Black Vetyver Cafe is my Fave in this line. This is a very nice Vetyver scent for sure.
    I know that I am pretty much alone on this one but I really like Bvlgari Aqva. Works great on me and I can't wait to wear this in the Spring and summer.
    Gary

Well, I went to a local dive tonight and I wore the Jo Malone... I like it alot. I think sometimes I am influenced alot by the marketing and the name and all that. So when a scent is called "Amber and Lavender" it doesn't set me up for a grand experience- like something like Messe de Minuit or Passage d'Enfer. Aside from scents based on vetiver, and named accordingly, I get very little intrigue from scents named after notes; especially common notes like lavender, sandalwood, amber etc... but thats just a tic I have.

Superficially this scent does have something in common with RL's Safari for men, but the resinous myrhh incense note that comes to the fore is where it zags. I mean, still, this is not one of my top ten scents, but its not like anything I usually wear. It seems to wear close to my skin. It is rather unisex too. And oddly, I don't think it seems to have either prominent lavender or amber; I guess since there are alot of other notes( I'm having trouble identifying).

Overall, this is a semi-mature, confident scent. I think its very nice- although nowhere close to the level of subtle perfection of Passage D'Enfer. But its going to be a grower, so I'm definitely going to get some mileage out of it.

I have a funny story about this one:

During my first swap last year, I mentioned to my mailman--who's an extremely cool guy--that I was expecting some cologne in the mail. We got to talking about cologne, and I mentioned that I'm a "collector." He then excitedly told me about a bottle of Jo Malone Amber & Lavender he received as a gift; since he didn't like it, he wanted to give it to me. I thanked him, and he said he'd drop it in my mailbox next time he had the chance...

A day or two later, I was talking to my mother about the Rochas Absolu I gave her for Mother's Day. She liked it, but mentioned that she preferred something by Jo Malone which she couldn't remember. Interesting...

My mailman subsequently deposited a 75% full bottle of JM Amber & Lavender in my box. I sniffed it, liked it, but decided to send it to my mother. Lo and behold, she received the surprise package from me, opened it, smelled it, and immediately recognized it as her favorite perfume!
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

I have this one and love it. It started me off on a whole search for other frags that have this amber/lavender accord that is so interesting because it smell neither like amber or lavender but something that is completely different and wonderful.

Anyway, many men's frags from the 80's have this accord, if you like it.

Jo Malone's Amber Lavender is pretty straightforward but enjoyable. Good for layering with other things, methinks!

Default Re: bought a new bottle...Jo Malone Amber & Lavender

I just got a sample of it today from my local Jo Malone shop. Loving the frag (added it to the never-ending to-buy-list) . How does it work for you guys in terms of longevity and projection?

I think this is a very classy fragrance and enjoy it a great deal. Not a huge fan generally of Jo Malone fragrances, but this is one of their best.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I have a small bottle and really like Amber & Lavender myself. It hits a nice spot for me every so often. Usually like it in warmer weather. It was one of my first forays into purchasing a frag that may be considered unisex but seems pretty darn targeted at women. It's not a frilly, girly scent. Maybe more "mature" than feminine. I think I read that same story about creating it for her husband which emboldened me to go for it.

The Jo Malone scents are pretty nice, but I believe most are quite linear. My mom loves her Red Roses, which basically smells like red roses- from start to finish. Very rosey. Nothing subtle about it at all.

If I recall correctly, with all of those linear scents, the Jo Malone reps and line heavily push layering with two or more the scents to create your own variations. I think that's part of why they sell the small 1oz bottles.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 8th December 2010 at 05:29 AM.

Not a fan of this at all.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Not a fan of this at all.
    Because it is not made in France?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Jo Malone's simple take on a classic fougere, I like it quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Because it is not made in France?
    Hahahha is that your standing joke?

delete
    Last edited by komak123; 8th December 2010 at 06:22 PM.

Jo Malone is not my favorite house, but I actually like this scent. It's very wearable... quite nice.

Wow. Old thread!

Well, fast forward five years... I love this one quite a bit. It can seem simple or no frills at first, but when I wear it, it turns into something quite nuanced and wonderful on skin. I usually wear this one to weddings and funerals (I know most people don't believe in wearing scents to funerals, and I agree in theory, but this one somehow seems appropriately non-narcissistic). There is a little surprise note of spearmint in this one and it really makes the scent work.

I never really got into the rest of the line, but i'll never be without a bottle of this.

Agreed. My favorite of the bunch. Have not had a chance to sample the Amber and Patchouli but it sounds promising.

I do like Amber and Lavender though.
    "...call on God, but row away from the rocks..."