Code of Conduct

Thread: frederic malle

Default frederic malle

Hello all, I might be getting samples of vetiver extraordinaire, musc ravageur, noir epices, and AngŽliques sous la pluie. Can anyone tell me what to expect in general of these scents?

Default Re: frederic malle

Sorry, the only one I have ever sampled is "AngŽliques sous la pluie" and it smelled like BO...I did not like it...but it may just be me.

Serpent

I'm not going to go on at length, but I'll say this: FrŽdŽric Malle is one of the few artisanal perfumers worth the hype in my book. I've gone through his entire range - even having the chance to smell the scents in the tubes at Barney's in Beverly Hills - and I love his line to bits. Why is his stuff so special? Because he hires real trained perfumers, the people who make the scents for the big boys like Dior, Herms, and the like, to make his scents. But he gives them a freer reign to do what they will, and they create marvelous, marvelous things for him. Not everything will work for everyone, of course. I'd recommend calling the Barney's in New York or Beverly Hills and asking if they can send you some small sample vials to you for testing if you don't live near them. But do definitely give this line a try. I think it's really something great.

I couldn't agree more.

I have read a fair amount of trashing of Malle and Lutens here lately, and I'm not down. These two houses, IMHO, put Creed, MPG and L'Artisan to shame.

I have yet to smell a Lutens or Malle that I didn't think was anything less than EXTRAORDINARY.

To use a tired cliche, to each his own...

Default frederic malle

Given that Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire is my most reached-for scent (as close to my HG/signature as I'm gonna get), I'm biased with my opinion of this line's artistry and quality.

I have doubles of the following:
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Bigarade Concentree

Also, have a large bottle each of:
    Angelique Sous le Pluie
    Noir Epices
    L'Eau de Hiver
    En Passant

The others that I've tried were far too feminine for my taste, or in the case of Musc Ravaguer, headache-enducing, but one can't help but appreciate the thought that went into their creation.

Looking forward to your comments on the samples coming your way.

Best,
    Wel

In general, you can expect the quality of these scents to be very high. I have samples vials of all of his scents, and tested the four that you mentioned. These four are the most masculine of his scents (with Angeliques being more unisex), and each one being very different.

Vetiver Extraordinaire and Musc Ravaguer are part of my top 10.

~ Musc Ravageur - my new #1 scent - hints of chocolate, nice use of cinammon over a lingering musk base...perfect

~ Noir Epices - tried once and couldn't wait to get it off me...I let it go for a few hours and gave up...no wish to try this one ever again...would smell better on someone else

~ AngŽliques sous la pluie - opening note of freshly crunched celery (the angelica flower) and pepper (the coriander) gives way to something reminiscent of white musks i've tried before...intriguing, but still undecided on this one

I've not tried any others yet, but will in do time, with En Passant, L'eau d'hiver, Cologne Bigarade, Bigarade concentrŽe and VŽtiver Extraordinaire being the ones I'm most interested in at this moment.

what places would u suggest to sample both malle and lutens? some of these seem like everyone needs to try and say they have tried or love, like arabie, musc ravageur, etc.

first of all, any sites or stores with freebies, and then those with lower costs? just curious - memphis is a dearth of anything other than the designer, mall fragrances

sam

I recently made a post asking where to get FM samples. You may want to check out the thread, it's titled "Musc Ravageur". SL samples I've ordered from Aedes.com, and if you haven't seen the site before they give you 7 samples of your choice for $15.
    Quote Originally Posted by finsfan
    what places would u suggest to sample both malle and lutens? Êsome of these seem like everyone needs to try and say they have tried or love, like arabie, musc ravageur, etc.

first of all, any sites or stores with freebies, and then those with lower costs? Êjust curious - memphis is a dearth of anything other than the designer, mall fragrances

sam

are these suitable for a 19 year old to wear or would they make a 19 year old feel dated?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsational
    ~ Musc Ravageur - my new #1 scent - hints of chocolate, nice use of cinammon over a lingering musk base...perfect

~ Noir Epices - tried once and couldn't wait to get it off me...I Êlet it go for a few hours and gave up...no wish to try this one ever again...would smell better on someone else

~ AngŽliques sous la pluie - opening note of freshly crunched celery (the angelica flower) and pepper (the coriander) gives way to something reminiscent of white musks i've tried before...intriguing, but still undecided on this one.
    I agree.

Noir Epices was too spicy for my taste (it made me sneeze.)

It took me a year to like Musc Ravageur. I bought the oil. IMO it's warm, rich, spicy and long lasting (after a slightly medicinal opening.)

I haven't tried the other two you mentioned.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan
    what places would u suggest to sample both malle and lutens?
    There's only one place carrying ƒditions de Parfums FrŽdŽric Malle in the United States, and that's Barneys New York.

Barneys also carries the Serge Lutens export line, as does New York City's Aedes de Venustas, which sells samples online.

Today I am wearing Une Fleur de Cassie and I love it. While it is decidedly floral (I'm not sure what the cassie flower is) with pronounced rose and jasmine, the clove and cumin topnotes add a spiciness and the musk, cedarwood, vanilla, and sandalwood basenotes lend warmth and richness.

I think if you like Diptyque Op™nŽ you really should give this one a try.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by sfolfactory
    I think if you like Diptyque Op™nŽ you really should give this one a try.
    I love Op™nŽ but don't get along with Cassie at all.

My fave FM scents are Le Parfum de ThŽrse, Musc Ravageur, En Passant, Bigarade ConcentrŽe, AngŽliques sous la Pluie...

A great line, I really recommend getting the test kit!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I really like this line. Vetiver Extraordinaire is one of my very favorite scents. Bigarade Concentree is great, as is Musc Ravageur.

I didn't like Noir Epices very much. I also tried En Passant, which smells great but I didn't want to wear it. I think it would be lovely on a woman.

I have a (small) sample of "en passant".Didn't know it was unisex,thought it was a womans scent, I will try it again. I revisited my vetiver extraordinaire sample and I'm starting to like it .

SFOlfactory, "Cassie" is Acacia flower, I believe.

A week ago I received all 14 FM samples from lisalaw on ebay:

Musc Ravageur is awesome, as well as Cologne Bigarade (Bigarade ConcentrŽe) and Vetiver Extraordinaire.
    Cologne Bigarade and Bigarade ConcentrŽe reminds me of the SUN somehow. First I found it very common. Nothing special at all, but the mixture is awesome! The relationship between me and Vetiver in general is difficult so to say. I feel the time I will enjoy Vetiver properly is still to come. Actually I'm not ready yet. I get the feeling Vetiver in general is a badass, especially the MPG one. ;D ;D ;D

I always tried to find similarities between Iris Poudre by FM and Iris Bleu Gris by MPG. FM is much more on the feminine side I think.

Musc Ravageur is almost gourmand to me. One kind of a perfume to adore to the max.

Noir Epices I need to test more, but not awesome so far
    The beginning of Un Fleur de Cassie reminds me of DZING! somehow
    Une Rose, Lipstick Rose and Parfum de Therese are female perfumes
    Angeliques sous la pluie I liked at the start but now I don't care anymore
    En Passant (unisex) is too feminine to me but nice
    Eau d'Hiver is very shy and in the back (winter water in english)

decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon