Code of Conduct

Default Love the smell but TOO heavy to wear!?

Ok, then!

Hope that you are well out there in the big, big world. Just wondering about some of the fragrances that I have in my collection that I keep sniffing from the bottle and on paper but can hardly ever wear. Wich ones are your "great scent, very noticeable, very seldom worn" fragrances?

Mine are HAVANA (ooh, itęs good but mostly wear it when Ięm alone for everybody elses sake), GUERLAIN VETIVER (once in a while in very mild doses itęs superb but often too much) and GUCCI POUR HOMME ( sometimes the only choice there is and sometimes like a combo of incense and wax crayons).

Post some thougts on this if you like / best wishes Tobbe

Default Re: Love the smell but TOO heavy to wear!?

Angel and Bandit.

Love 'em both, though.

Opium Pour Homme EDP. Love the scent but after an hours I just can't take it anymore and it last all day.

MI is not 'heavy' at all though .. ???

Opium
    Jaipur Fraicheur Epicee
    Insense
    Yohji

I like them all a lot, but too often they behave like desperate clinging lovers.

A*MEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amouage Silver Crystal

I don't find Guerlain's Vetiver heavy at all. Even the old version, in fact I think the new version is longer lasting, but still far from a heavy scent. I find it crisp and outdoorsy. Perfect for tshirt and jeans. Antaeus is a scent I admire but find unrelenting. Reminds me of Cinnabar and Youth Dew in a way.

For me it's Annick Goutal's Sables. I often reach for it mornings wanting to smell like it, but sniffing the sprayer before using it I pause and say no, too heavy for today.

I've done the same thing with Iquitos by Alain Delon, always deciding it is better for the evening rather than morning application. Maybe that's not the same thing though.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Jaipur EdP is great, but I have to go EXTREMELY light on the trigger, otherwise it's just way too overpowering. Even spraying a small amount, it still gets a bit cloying after a bit.

Why So Serious?

Le Male is ultra strong on me, 2 sprays i pretty much suffocate the population of a 10 mile radius. I'll just go with half a squirt next time.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Byerley
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Guerlain Heritage EdP is one of these scents to me. The juice is sooo powerful that I hardly ever wear it.
    Another one is Polo, If I apply two or three spritzes in the morning, I can still smell it in the evening and even when I take a shower the next day.
    I love the smell of Angel (woman) but I wouldn't wear the fragrance. Just too sweet to wear for me, that's why I love A*Men.

Antaeus but I still wear it with delibertate Moderation, and compliments abound.

Opium Eau de Parfum (the men's version)...
    love sniffing it on a wrist... but when I wear it ... unless it's VERY cold out.. it wears me out a bit (and that's unusual for someone like me who really loves the heavy scents)...
    Also Samsara EDP.... absolutely adore this scent...
    but tend to wear it at home....
    i think it's too heavy for many of my friends ... not me though in this case!

B*Men. Bought this recently because I just loved the way it smells but I can't think of one possible situation where I might wear this out.

So, I just spray it on at home ...

Serpent

A lot of Serge Lutens' stuff fits this description for me.  I've often said of his stuff:  "Rooms should smell like this, not people."  This is especially true, I feel, of his vaunted Ambre Sultan, although it did smell quite lovely on my mom.  Still, I felt smothered in the stuff.  Quite a few of Lutens' scents are quite delicate and lovely, though, so he's not universally heavy-handed.  It's just a selection of his scents that seem to go off the deep end.

No one makes scents as unbearable and unwearable as Lorenzo Villoresi.  Ye gods!  I know, I know.  More than a few guys here have cranked one out over Piper Nigrum and Dilmun and on and on, but his stuff is just massive overkill.  He's the Cecil B. DeMille of perfumery: just lavish, overwrought, overcooked, and, most importantly, unnecessary spectacle that kills anything in the way of beauty and delicacy in his scents.  Look at what is his best scent - Yerbamate.  There is the lovely, quivering, fresh green note at the heart.  It sways like a cool, verdant meadow.  But, just as the note begins to assert itself, what does Villoresi do?  He sends in a bulldozer of powdery notes to crush each and every green blade, powdering them into submission.  The green meadow is paved over into a giant gilt-and-marble diapering room fit for the Borgias.  It's disgusting.  His scents are all like wearing five perfumes at once; it's as if he found a way to bottle a wool sweater.  They're all just terrible.  Villoresi's scents are the textbook definition of scents that are far too heavy.

I love all of these, but find myself reluctant to wear them unless the circumstances suit something "heavy":

Givenchy Gentleman
    M7
    Lolita Lempicka au Masculin
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Lutens' Vetiver Oriental - but only in the summer. Works great in the cold. First time I wore it was in summer and was so strong it actually made me nauseous. This probably holds true for several others of his. It's quite true many of his scents are extremely think and heavy, but to many of us that's a good thing

Opium EdP Pour Homme
    Hanae Mori
    Gucci Noble
    Trumpers Curzon
    Zaharoff Pour Homme
    Antaeus
    Equipage
    I do Love these scents...they are strong on my skin, may not be on yours. I should add Jaipur Pour Homme. I will not stop wearing these scents... I just have to make sure that I do not over apply with this group.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by G.303
    I will not stop wearing these scents... I just have to make sure that I do not over apply with this group.
                                                             Gary
    What if you could optimally apply these heavy fragrances to your skin to experience fragrances at their very best?

So I sprayed Bandit into the bathroom, a fragrance that smells heavy and harsh to my nose, and I reacted like it was a human repellent. I opened the exhaust fan to remove most of Bandit, and found the reduced volume of this scent much more amiable. That is, I was comfortable with the fragrance dosed at a certain level, but not necessarily enjoying it.

What if I performed this procedure using a heavy fragrance that I enjoy? Can I wear it?

Since I was wearing my SOTD and testing 2 fragrances on my wrists, I showered using Maja, a Spanish spicy-scented soap, to provide a foundation for this fragrance. Then I applied a single, very light layer on my forearm (using the „walkthroughš method), and it smelled outstanding! This is my very first bottle of this fragrance that comes in a silver bottle with a star and purple juice. What was that called? Oh, Yes. It is called A*Men, and this scent is incredible! Now, I can experiment with varying the dosage and placement of each fragrance∑and take this hobby to the next level.

Anyone have similar experiences?

Best Regards,
    John

From what I've sampled so far I agree with you on both SL and LV. Obviously extremely well crafted, just not for me. Although I loved LV Musk, I think it's too floral/powdery for my tastes to want to wear. With Piper Nigrum I was waiting for some kind of religious experience and after trying it several times I didn't care for it a bit. Well, everyone has different tastes. Looking forward to my FM samples
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    A lot of Serge Lutens' stuff fits this description for me.  I've often said of his stuff:  "Rooms should smell like this, not people."  This is especially true, I feel, of his vaunted Ambre Sultan, although it did smell quite lovely on my mom.  Still, I felt smothered in the stuff.  Quite a few of Lutens' scents are quite delicate and lovely, though, so he's not universally heavy-handed.  It's just a few of his scents that seem to go off the deep end.

No one makes scents as unbearable and unwearable as Lorenzo Villoresi.  Ye gods!  I know, I know.  More than a few guys here have cranked one out over Piper Nigrum and Dilmun and on and on, but his stuff is just massive overkill.  He's the Cecil B. DeMille of perfumery: just lavish, overwrought, overcooked, and, most importantly, unnecessary spectacle that kills anything in the way of beauty and delicacy in his scents.  Look at what is his best scent - Yerbamate.  There is the lovely, quivering, fresh green note at the heart.  It sways like a cool, verdant meadow.  But, just as the note begins to assert itself, what does Villoresi do?  He sends in a bulldozer of powdery notes to crush each and every green blade, powdering them into submission.  The green meadow is paved over into a giant gilt-and-marble diapering room fit for the Borgias.  It's disgusting.  His scents are all like wearing five perfumes at once; it's as if he found a way to bottle a wool sweater.  They're all just terrible.  Villoresi's scents are the textbook definition of scents that are far too heavy.

Amouage... anything

I agree with those who find Vetiver Guerlain falls in this category. I'm wearing it today and, in winter I rather like it. In summer it is just too heavy to be enjoyable. Its odd I know but thats how it is for me.

Trot ???

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    A lot of Serge Lutens' stuff fits this description for me.
    First thing that popped into my mind was Arabie from Serge Lutens, along with Lagerfeld Classic. From others in my wardrobe, Trussardi Uomo is close to unwearable, but fortunately not.

Jeff