Code of Conduct

Default Lack of concoction?

I wonder about the similarity of Original Vetiver by Creed and Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler.

Mugler Cologne was introduced first.

How can it be, that the OV is so similar?

1. Oliver Creed looked at the Mugler bottle with the intention to simply copy it (maybe make it a slightly bit better but not different) or

2. Oliver Creed has never got in contact with Mugler Cologne and just made virtually the same juice by chance. Is that possible??

3. After introducing OV he was surly told from various people that it smells a lot like Mugler Cologne. But otherwise it is absurd to ask for going through thousands of perfumes only to be sure there is no relative or twin out there ....

OV and Mugler Cologne is just an example. There are a lot of perfumes that smell virtually the same. The intention to copy a perfume is often obvious and not a bad thing IMO, but I wouldn't have expected Oliver Creed to make this approach really ...
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Default Re: Lack of concoction?

Oh my god! I started numerous threads about my dissapointement in the similarity between these two scents and I still don't know if it's lack of inspiration on Creeds side( It's his sons first frgrance release) or if it's just plain coincidental. I think someone said it's better than TM Cologne and I like to believe so. I ordered this one blind and was soo disapointed that I gave it away.
    Now I regret it and want it back. I guess either you go with TM Cologne or go with OV, they are both excelent.

8) Interesting. OV and TM. GIT and Cool Water. Himalaya and XS. Orange Spice and Kouros. Fodder for a new thread: what Creed does this one, smell like?

GIT was before Cool Water, Orange Spice was way before Kouros.

XS was maybe the first one to be cloned by Oliver Creed himself.

Why XS?? What's up next?? .......

Maybe the very first task for Creed jr. was to clone Mugler Cologne:

"SON!! MAKE ME THAT MUGLAAAR ONE ...." ;D ;D

"If you succeed, you're in business, if not - you're not" ;D ;D
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

8)  I know about the dates.  My point is that I find it amusing that ANY fragrances could smell similar, to the 'venerable' CREEDS.

Basenotes Plus

mgarisbn- Orange Spice and Kouros???????????????

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    Pretty strong note of oakmoss in both, I tend to agree that they have their similarities.

But I'm still waiting for someone out there to save me alot of money, if I could get the answer to these questions, my bank acct would balloon!

MI = ??
    SMW = ??

I haven't found anything close to these two....with the exception that they are a bit similar to one another

Cheers,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    First I apologize to dr. Creed, for setting his thread off course. But sometimes, getting off course can be fun. Let me explain: It is not I who smell the similarity between Orange Spice, and Kouros. I was familiar with Kourous, before purchasing Orange Spice. Had I noted even the faintest closeness . . . you can bet that I'd never have bought the Creed in the first place. This comparison has been transmitted to me, on several occasions by another basenoter who shall remain nameless . . . if he wants to chime in on his own, that's his decision to make. And while I'm off course . . . here's another scent that is supposed to smell something like a famous, Creed: Obsession is thought to be similar to BdP. Not my observation . . . I've tried both of these fragrances, but once only . . . not enough of an experience to connect, or disconnect them.

Well, first I don't mind going off course at all.
    Orange Spice has a slightly fruity character which Kouros doesn't have. But they are very very close.

Obsession and Bois du Portugal have nothing in common IMO. Obsession has a lot of cinnamon. BdP doesn't have any cinnamon at all. They are both orientals as far as I know. Nothing more. Actually they are totally different.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

8) Hello, dr.! I will bow to your olfactory expertise. Personally, I don't get the similarity between O.S. and Kouros . . . if it's true, then all the more reason for me to be happy that I've given away one of my O.S. bottles. As for the BdP and Obsession . . . I'm almost positive that this comparison has been made, in earlier threads. Cannot say anymore, on the subject. Have nothing of my own experience, to add.

As a Kouros fan and recipient of the above mentioned Orange Spice I do feel like they have a lot in common. OS has slight fruit notes but it really doesn't smell spicey.
    Creed OV does smell a lot like TM Cologne and GIT reminds me of Cool Water. The Creeds are all much better products than their cheaper counterparts, except for Kouros which is about equal with OS.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I found the "Bois du Portugal = Obsession" link.

http://www.basenotes.net/cgi-bin/for...601856;start=7
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I can see the comparison of GIT with Cool water or Cologne with OV, but the comparison of Bois du Portugal with Obsession is total nonsense. They have nothing in common.

I agree with eric (still)

Those who see similarities IMO just are able to identify both as oriental. Of course all citrus frags are similar as well ....
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I`m not going to believe blindly when I see posts about `total similar scents`...
    But in case of TM Cologne and OV Creed - I tried and found them very VERY similar.
    Have no idea - how it could happen? But suppose that Creeds feels themselves so reigning and out-of-any-standards that they simply does not care about the Parfum Industry.
    They are making their own way - like men does not care about insects when they are jogging ;D

I believe that is not good neither for Creeds nor Industry... ???
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jim2154mn
    Pretty strong note of oakmoss in both, I tend to agree that they have their similarities.

But I'm still waiting for someone out there to save me alot of money, if I could get the answer to these questions, my bank acct would balloon!

MI = ??
    SMW = ??

I haven't found anything close to these two....with the exception that they are a bit similar to one another

Cheers,
    Jim
    I may be terribly wrong here, cause I havent smelled Ck one for a long time , but isn't SMW similar to Ck one?

please , don't hate me for asking this ,and if it helps, I love and own SMW

8) I would never hate you, Eric. Besides . . . if SMW is one of your 'loves,' that's more than enough good will for both of us. :P Beyond that, I can't recall a similarity between CK1, and SMW. I find SMW to be . . . unique, and thank God for small favors. As for MI . . . I'm about finished with my bottle. Oh, that salty top note that trasnports us to some magical place by the sea . . . yeah, right.

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    I can see the comparison of GIT with Cool water or Cologne with OV, but the comparison of Bois du Portugal with Obsession is total nonsense. They have nothing in common.
    I have to agree on this one. BdP is woody and powdery. Obsession is the portrait of a spicy sweet oriental. While impression is nothing more than what the user thinks, I see nothing even remotely similar about the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G.

I have to agree on this one.  BdP is woody and powdery.  Obsession is the portrait of a spicy sweet oriental.  While impression is nothing more than what the user thinks, I see nothing even remotely similar about the two.  
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by eric

I may be terribly wrong here, cause I havent smelled Ck one for a long time , but isn't SMW similar to Ck one?

please , don't hate me for asking this ,and if it helps, I love and own SMW  
    Eric,

I don't know....I've never actually tried CKOne. I'll have to give it a test next time I'm passing by a fragrance counter.

Thanks for the heads up!
    Jim