Code of Conduct

Default Found:  Vintage bottle of Guerlain Vetiver

Hello all, I'm relatively new to the fragrance world but I'm exponentially gaining knowledge and interest in the field with many thanks to this wonderful site (and the people on it)! A co-worker of mine recently gave me a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver after we discussed my interest in getting into the perfumery business. He briefly worked in the returns department at Guerlain's headquarters in New Jersey and was given a lot of free stuff. The bottle is quite tall, 110 mL, with dark green plastic on the top and bottom. The bottom says Guerlain Paris, made in France, copyright 1976. It appeared to be unused. I have since worn it twice, and it still smells great! I haven't had a chance to compare it with a more contemporary bottle yet, so I don't know if it still smells correct. At first it is dominated by bergamot and neroli, then the vetiver grass and root come in. It smells a lot like Boucheron PH to me. Is it possible that a twenty-plus year old bottle could last that long without going bad?

sabatar

Default Re: Found:  Vintage bottle of Guerlain Vetiver

The date on the box marks the year this very design saw the light and not when the very bottle in your hand was made.
    I have the exact bottle you're talking about and it was made in 1996. It still smells like the day I bought it. You'll notice that the revamped version is a bit different and lighter but not to the extent you'd lament and regret not having the juice anymore

Are you sure it's that recent? I've seen the new bottle, which is "ribbed" and has no label, and the one that predates it, the rectangular bottle with a square paper label. This one appears to be older, it would be very outdated looking in 1996. It is oval in shape with a rounded shoulder, the letters are in gold on the bottle. Did they change the packaging three times in less than ten years?! I know the copyright date isn't the manufacture date, but this bottle is so ugly that it has to be at least from the 80's.

A bottle that I bought in the late 70s had the form factor of the new bottle but without ribs. It was not tall but wide and squat with a height about equal the width.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

sabatar

The one with the dark green plastic collar and bottom is a limited edition that was released several times. Same juice exactly. The classic one is the square-shaped with the square, green label, which was prolonged later to mimic Habit Rough. The y2k revamped Vetiver is totally different in shape.. square and opaque with green juice and silver cap. Juice is watered down a bit with less tobacco much punchier on the citric edge.

Wow! Thanks for clarifying that for me. I still don't understand why they would do a limited edition of the exact same thing in a package uglier than the regular bottle! Oh well, it's what's inside that counts anyway, and it's pretty good stuff!

Guys,
    from what I read, the bottle in question is a REFILLABLE atomiseur spray...
    I had one for Vetiver (Green) and one for Habit Rouge (Red)....
    after a while, Guerlain stopped making them and selling the refills...
    It was way before 96...
    sometime in the late 80's was when they stopped that particular design....
    shame... it was very weird and special
    the scents themselves (especially vetiver) have been changed a bit since that day.
    the change to the vetiver is in my opinion ... a GOOD one!!
    but enjoy the scent all the same guy...
    you're holding a collectible in your hand...

Quote Originally Posted by sabatar
    The classic one is the square-shaped with the square, green label, which was prolonged later to mimic Habit Rough. The y2k revamped Vetiver is totally different in shape.. square and opaque with green juice and silver cap. Juice is watered down a bit with less tobacco much punchier on the citric edge.
    Yes, indeed! I received a bottle of the "vintage" (classic) Guerlain Vetiver earlier this week, accompanied by the deodorant stick as a gift set. Though the scents are very close to my nose, the classic is indeed deeper, darker, more arid, and with little or no citrus. I also have the newer version and like them both about equally, which is to say very, very much!

Jeff

I bought a vintage bottle of Habit Rouge and it had this flyer inside for the Vetiver (vintage) and HR lines.

Deodorant, aftershave lotion, perfumed soap, EDC, EDT, shaving cream with brush, body shampoo, shaving foam in a can and aftershave cream.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffensley/3702425006/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffensley/3702425016/
    "Flagrantly fragrant and they can't escape me. My perfume pursued them everywhere that they went.
    You don't want a loan, leave my cologne alone. It's a little too strong for you to be putting on".
    - Lupe Fiasco

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for sharing that Echo777.

I would kill to own some vintage soap. All that they have now is shower gel.