Code of Conduct

Default Benzoin does *not* smell like vanilla

I've read this so many times, about how benzoin smells like vanilla. Not true! If anything, amber (not ambergris which is totally different than amber) smells sweet like vanilla is sweet, but even it doesn't smell *like* vanilla . Benzoin is resinous and there's nothing else smells like it. I have both distilled pure benzoin essential oil and pure benzoin incense rocks, and if anything it's a slightly medicinal, resinous odor along the lines of copal. Just wanted to clarify this.

Why So Serious?

Default Re: Benzoin does *not* smell like vanilla

Benzoin
    A-EO-BEN

BENZOIN (STRYAX BENZOIN)

Description
    *  Benzoin is found in Thailand, Java and Sumatra. Resin is taken out of the tree manually, as it does not flow out naturally as it does out of our Maples. It smells like vanilla and is sweet and pleasant. It is a base note.

Extraction Method
    *  Triangular slashes are made into the bark to make the sap ooze out. The resin is then pressed into a solid mass and melted over water before it can be used.
    *  Some benzoin can be purchased with ethyl glycol added to make it easier to work with.

Chemical Properties
    *  Most of it is resin alone. Others are vanillin (aldehyde Ų thus the aroma), benzyl benzoate (ester), benzoic acid, cinnamic acid, benzoic aldehyde, phenyl, and ethylene and phenyl propylic alcohol.

But i think in Pi, the Benzoin is mixed with something else that made vanilla stronger, probably vanilla itself, who knows, although it doesn't states that Pi contains vanilla, i think it does somewhat. ;D

Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Hmmm... I was under the impression that benzoin was rather prominent in Fahrenheit, I thought I had pinned down the part in the scent that was benzoin. This doesnęt smell like vanilla at all to my nose, Am i wrong? Could we have more opinions on this elusive note?

MMM

While it may contain vanillin as a chemical property, the odor is nothing like vanilla. It's very resinous. Try some distilled Benzoin oil sometime, or get some Benzoin crystal incense, I think you'll be surprised, as it's not really sweet at all!

Be very careful with undiluted Benzoin oil though, it's very thick and can get sticky.

Why So Serious?

thanks, i collect perfume oils, but i cant find the benzoin oil, i will go to the store again and ask them to order some benzoin for me. But i do think that benzoin has to interact with something else to make its vanillic aroma stand out, cant put my finger on it though, i'm no chemist. Thanks for the info, i'm pretty much interested in this perfume-making thing, still in my studying stage. ;D
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Ladylonestar

You can also check The Good Scents Company for the various benzoin odor descriptions.

http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/

I am VERY glad this topic came up.

They are very different. I have a large bottle of Benzoin Resinoid.

Great topic!

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX
    But i think in Pi, the Benzoin is mixed with something else that made vanilla stronger, probably vanilla itself, who knows, although it doesn't states that Pi contains vanilla, i think it does somewhat. ;D

Pi contains vanilla... lots of it. Vanilla *IS* the dominant note in Pi, not Benzoin.

Quote Originally Posted by anthem81
    I've read this so many times, about how benzoin smells like vanilla. Not true! If anything, amber (not ambergris which is totally different than amber) smells sweet like vanilla is sweet, but even it doesn't smell *like* vanilla . Benzoin is resinous and there's nothing else smells like it. I have both distilled pure benzoin essential oil and pure benzoin incense rocks, and if anything it's a slightly medicinal, resinous odor along the lines of copal. Just wanted to clarify this.

I think people associate Benzoin with medicine because of Tincture of Benzoin, which helps tape adhere to the skin. A lot of medical facilities still use this:

http://www.yuccadune.com/product586.html

No it doesnt smell like vanilla extract.
    However, if you smell pure vanilla essential oil there are some similarities but only with the top note.
    The dry down of both is totally different. Benzoin is fairly medicinal smelling at the finish while vanilla is more of a musky spicy sweet fragrance.
    Benzoin is much less expensive than pure vanilla or amergris for that matter, so it is used quite often in the fragrance industry as a sweet warm bottom note to round the scent out.

Another cool thing is how positively rancid and raunchy pure ambergris is! It's almost stomach churning. LOL

FYI- Benzoin is also found in Sander Background, Davidoff Relax, Habit Rouge, Hugo Dark Blue, Dupont Signature, Body Kouros, Romeo Gigli and Nino Cerutti.

i like the benzoin in Prada EDP . . . yummmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    FYI- Benzoin is also found in Sander Background, Davidoff Relax, Habit Rouge, Hugo Dark Blue, Dupont Signature, Body Kouros, Romeo Gigli and Nino Cerutti.
    And almost all Serge Lutens scents as well.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I have a bottle of benzoin oil (or resinoid rather) and to me it smells a little like vanilla, a little of cinnamon and a lot of something else that's quite unique. It has a sharpness to it that is hard to place. Not at all as rich-smelling as balsam of peru for example, which is more of an ambery, resinous vanilla

Yvan

I have both benzoin and vanilla essential oils open right now. The vanilla smells like vanilla extract, a bit sweet and buttery, very slightly nutty, very slightly floral. The benzoin smells a bit heavier, resinous, darker, very slightly earthy. The benzoin almost seems a bit sweeter and stronger. Of course, they no doubt smell different on a person's skin, especially when "cut" with alcohol. Still, they do share some similar properties, to my nose. Bottom line...the benzoin seems more "earthy," the vanilla seems more "floral" in nature.

I enjoy vanilla in one or two of my frags, but now that I'm starting to experiment with making my own, I'm using more benzoin than vanilla...it's great stuff! Nothing like that resinous quality.

Have read all the preceding posts with interest and agreement.
    Benzoin is a scent all its own.
    It's much warmer, heavier, less sweet and candied and somehow a bit crystalline in it's sensuality compared to vanilla.

But I do notice that alot of people often say pure natural vanilla...
    While the natural vanilla is still used in many perfurmes, and food flavourings, like many other scents, vanilla really only shot to unbelievable heights when a synthetic, more intense 'clone' was created...

What is one of the 5 great classics in French perfumery...?
    Shalimar for sure...
    and I'm quoting now:

<Shalimar is one of the flagships of French perfumery. Travelling through time as only a classic does, it never dates and remains the epitome of oriental notes. Rumor has it that Jacques Guerlain created this perfume as a tribute to the legendary love story between Mumtaz Mahal and Emperor Chah Djahan in the Shalimar Gardens of Kashmir. In Sanskrit Shalimar means '' the home of love''. When Mumtaz Mahal died, died, the emperor was devastated and had a tomb built for the woman he had vowed to love unconditionally. The ''Taj Mahal'' was finished fourteen years later. Shalimar is also the first perfume to contain vanillin ethyl, an artificial molecule smelling like vanilla and marked by an overwhelming intensity. >