Code of Conduct

Default Compare Vintage Newport with New Newport

I wasn't particularly impressed with Vintage Newport (Caswell Massey). In fact I traded it away. Can anyone compare new Newport with the old; do you think it would be worth a try?
    K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Default Re: Compare Vintage Newport with New Newport

The new Newport is entirely different from the vintage one. I had the chance to try the vintage but it totally put me off. I just did not like it.

The new Newport, like what its blue bottle suggests is a marine/aquatic scent. Its not spectacular and maybe it won't sweep you off your feet. But its a very well crafted scent, fresh, smells very nice and the notes are balanced. It has a good transition from top notes until the base. I haven't tried this enough to give a detailed description about its notes but currently it belongs to my wish list.

Yvan

Default Re: Compare Vintage Newport with New Newport

Hiya K...I don't know if you've tried the new Newport since your post.  I was in Caswell-Massey's today and sprayed on some of the new Newport.  It smelled really good for the first half-hour or so, but the drydown smelled to me pretty much like Lacoste pour Homme, which on me smelled a lot like maple syrup (the rum, cinnamon, cedar, vanilla etc.)  The Newport was a little less sweet than that, and it had maybe a few extra floral/herbal notes in it, and it was just a tiny bit more aromatic.  It also seemed like it lacked a bit of unity, like it was a bit rough around the edges in places.  Still, a guy could do a lot worse.  

Now, I haven't tried the vintage Newport, but I will in the next few days; I bought the Caswell-Massey 5-pack sampler, which I'll be trying...following in George Washington's footsteps!  (At least, regarding Number Six.)