Code of Conduct

Default Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree similar to...

I was at Macy's last night, itching to add an old style fragrance to my wardrobe, and had the SA spray some of this onto a card for me.

Today, I keep sneaking whiffs of the card and kept scratching my head, knowing I had something similar in my collection to what I was smelling in the drydown here. Finally, it struck me: Caron 3rd Man.

Now, I don't know how they stack up side to side, but they both have some similar notes, Lavender on top and Vanilla on the base. I'm thinking Chanel might be a little "brighter" than the brooding 3rd Man, with a touch of spice.

Anybody have an opinions on this?
    The Bark Bites Back.

Default Re: Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree similar to...

Interesting. I have never tried 3rd Man but I need to.
    The only thing that I found it similar to other than the original is Ungaro II. I reckon they are both from Jacques Polge aren't they? Of course, the original doesn't have the vanilla and neither does Ungaro II but there is some similarity there. The "dirty" citrus with depth and sensuality is the deal with both.
    Now you're makin' my trigger finger itch for a blind purchase of the Caron.....!

Eric

Yvan

I don't have my bottle of Concentree anymore, but not that you talk about it, I'm kind of missing it! It also makes me think of Habit Rouge. And just a bit like Halston Catalyst.

Concentree is very nice and quite unique. Not totally gripping, but very pleasant and comfortable.

I've never tried Catalyst but I don't really find it similar to Habit Rouge but I can possibly see the association.
    The barbershop smoothness and the warmth of the vanilla mixing in there. Habit Rouge is more leathery and more powdery and well, more Guerlain.
    I agree that it is not totally gripping but the more I try it, the more I like it and it sure is calling me right now.....

Eric ;D

Not sure what it's similar to, but just wanted to add that I really like this one. My husband doesn't reach for it very often, but every time he does I compliment and ask what he's wearing...haha

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark
    Today, I keep sneaking whiffs of the card and kept scratching my head, knowing I had something similar in my collection to what I was smelling in the drydown here. Finally, it struck me: Caron 3rd Man.
    I'm 100% with you on that comparison ... just a couple of days ago I had on the Caron when the similarity to Chanel's PH concentree hit me -- so much so that the Caron was starting to feel as if it was an "Extreme" version of the Chanel ...

That vanilla at the bottom coupled with the lavender and spices is at the heart of both. 3rd Man is quite a bit sweeter: it veers more to caramel, whereas the Chanel is more like the dryness of a vanilla pod. The Chanel is much more wearable ... the Caron still strikes me as too sweet.
    ..."net", not "naut".

I find Chanel PM Conc rather similar to Ungaro II. Agree that the Caron is a bit darker.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Quote Originally Posted by K
    I find Chanel PM Conc rather similar to Ungaro II. Agree that the Caron is a bit darker.
    It's interesting because I have both Ungaro II and Carond 3rd Man and would never have thought of the two as sharing much at all. Ungaro II has always had a strong carnation note to me--I'll have to try both tomorrow and see if I can connect the dots.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark
    ...I have both Ungaro II and Carond 3rd Man and would never have thought of the two as sharing much at all.  Ungaro II has always had a strong carnation note to me--I'll have to try both tomorrow and see if I can connect the dots.  
    Not to hijack too much, but I agree, I have Ungaro II and Le 3 Homme and I find nothing in common between those two.  I see the floral beginning with Ungaro II but to me the drydown is all about civet, it's the most powerful civet scent I've experienced.  Very animalic.

The closest to Chanel PMC is the parfum version of Boucheron pour Homme imo!

Mic.

I do find similarities of Pour Monsieur Concentree to Le 3rd man.

But I think the true dead ringer is Tiffany for men which was also created by Polge for Tiffany & Co.

If I had to choose and I did this past summer, I decided to go with Tiffany for men, it much more richer and deeper then Monsieur very stately and rich.

I think Polge had his hands tied with Chanel for they like everything subdued (and have the last word) but when we worked on the Tiffany account he did not have to deal with Chanel marketing and created what he wanted Monsieur to be.

I'm bringing this "old" thread back because my SOTD is my long-awaited debut with Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree; I even first used the matching soap and afterhave balm. Perhaps I overdid it, because after 90 minutes it is not making much of an impression on me. Indeed, there is an herbaceous middle note that must be the basil oil (ScentDirect) that stands out awkwardly on this one. I'm interested to see where the base goes on this, but so far pretty underwhelming I'm afraid to say.

I also own Le 3me Homme and can appreciate some resemblance. The Chanel is both more subtle and less sweet, however, with basil oil substituting for Le 3me Homme's carnation in the middle notes; variations on a theme. Of course I'll have to wear the Chanel again, but at this point the nod goes to Caron!

Jeff

8)  I cannot tolerate 3rd Man.  It, along with M7, are two of the weirdest smells that I've encountered.  I had no trouble wearing Chanel PH concentrée.  If there's a strong connection to 3rd Man, it was lost on me.  I find the Chanel to be much more 'green' and brisk.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by mgarisbn
    8)  If there's a strong connection to 3rd Man, it was lost on me.
    I concur. I found Le 3e Homme/Third Man to be quite dry myself, while Pour Monsieur Concentrée can be almost agonizingly sweet if I'm in the wrong mood. I just don't get the similarities. But I do agree on the Pour Monsieur-Tiffany for Men connection. Those are the real duplicates to my nose.

I think PM Concentree is great. I love the smell. I can't think of anything that really smells like it. Tiffany is much more powdery to my nose. Ungaro II smells more like the original PM.