Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Toothpaste..!!!

Default Toothpaste..!!!

What is your favourite 'toothpaste'? I'm looking for something mild & nonabrasive.. right now I'm testing Colgate Vanilla Mint Gel. It's ok, my tongue doesn't recoil or anything but I'm sure I can do better-
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

francois

Default Re: Toothpaste..!!!

Good ol' Crest (or the Fresh Mint one) is perfect!

tom's of maine! ;D

Original Crest Paste-- a classic. It just dosen't get any better than this. Use just a little.

I tried some of the Crest flavors, but after 43years its hard to change. ;D

However, my sons both swear by Oral B fruity flaver gel for kids.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Anyone here have any experience with the Marvis brand?

The have some intersting flavors aimed at adults:
    Aquatic Mint
    Classic Strong Mint
    Ginger Mint
    Jasmine Mint
    Paradise Fruit Mint

Interested but they are a bit expensive.

YOu should try all of the Therabreath products!

http://www.therabreath.com/

Phenomenal products that don't mask bad breath with mint flavors, but actually eliminate them.

And since they oxygenate, they have a teeth whitening effect also.

edit
    Last edited by Adrian; 7th June 2007 at 06:30 PM.

I just use Crest Extra Whitening...tastes good, ADA approved, and keeps my teeth nice and shiny.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Tom's of Maine. Cinnamint when I can find it.
    Will check out Marvis, sounds like a good one.

Marvis Jasmine with the purple cap. I've tried all their varieties, but the Jasmine is my favorite. I close my eyes and suddenly I'm in Italy brushing my teeth. LOL [smiley=grin.gif]

Marvis Aquatic Mint!!! I love it! I bought a couple of these when I lived in Italy, the ginger is ok but the aqua.... delicious! I can't wait to get another tube of this one.

I read somewhere about a great toothpaste from Santa Maria Novella... Now, I can only imagine the price, but it is stil something I'd want from my mouth. I bet t will recoil my tongue though, considering how upfront their frags seem to be

Nothing better than Oral B

Marvis is great, but it is also a bit difficult to get where I live. No mater the flavor, that really is a good stuff. I currently use Aronal, which is a mild but effective toothpaste.

Hi, for what it's worth.. Marvis and SMN are made by same company... like SMN shave cream being Proraso @ 10x the price (nearly).. I would not waste time with Santa's toothpaste as I believe it's Marvis in nicer packaging.. Both are made by Firenze, Martel, etc.

I like Marvis Strong Mint. It is very fresh and it looks great.
    My second favourite is the Korres whitening toothpaste.

Propoline or Supersmile. You can even see my teeth in the members pics to see for yourself...ha ha. :

I love Marvis> I love the fruit mint and the ginger mint and jasmine mint and regular mint. Probably in that order.

Sam

There's material on the WWW by a Dr. Gerard F. Judd that presents a different and interesting point of view about toothpaste and tooth care and, especially, fluoride and its consequences for health.

I developed sensitive teeth, and my dentist told me that the toothpastes on the market that were supposed to be for sensitive teeth didn't contain enough fluoride for me. He told me about another toothpaste that cost eleven dollars (Canadian) for a small tube, although you only needed to use a small amount. I used that stuff for years. Then I had the last of my mercury fillings replaced, and -- guess what? In addition to turning around the major health concern I had suspected was caused by the mercury, and some others as well that I hadn't suspected were connected, I found my teeth weren't sensitive any more! So I ditched the fluoride and the pastes altogether.

Might be worth looking into if taste isn't your first priority.

I have no connection with Dr. Judd and no profit-making interest in anything to do with this.

Roxoff

Another vote for Marvis Aquatic Mint. Jasmin Mint is also very good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    There's material on the WWW by a Dr. Gerard F. Judd that presents a different and interesting point of view about toothpaste and tooth care and, especially, fluoride and its consequences for health.

I developed sensitive teeth, and my dentist told me that the toothpastes on the market that were supposed to be for sensitive teeth didn't contain enough fluoride for me. He told me about another toothpaste that cost eleven dollars (Canadian) for a small tube, although you only needed to use a small amount. I used that stuff for years. Then I had the last of my mercury fillings replaced, and -- guess what? In addition to turning around the major health concern I had suspected was caused by the mercury, and some others as well that I hadn't suspected were connected, I found my teeth weren't sensitive any more! So I ditched the fluoride and the pastes altogether.

Might be worth looking into if taste isn't your first priority.

I have no connection with Dr. Judd and no profit-making interest in anything to do with this.

Roxoff

Dr. Gerard F. Judd's advice:
    1. Rinse acids off the teeth during eating (ref 4).

2. Brush the teeth with bar soap (ref 5).

3. Take calcium pills with vitamin D daily (ref 6).

4. Take monosodium phosphate daily (ref 7).

5. Take freshly made sodium ascorbate daily for gum connections to the teeth (ref 8).

6. Dispense with the worry that bacteria harm teeth: THEY CANNOT (ref 9).

7. Dispense with the worry that sugar destroys teeth. I find sugar has little or nothing to do with cavities (ref 10).

8. Avoid all fluoride products. They destroy teeth, unravel enzymes and cause 113 ailments (ref 11).
    Last edited by Adrian; 7th June 2007 at 06:32 PM.

So where do you find these fine Marvis pastes in a retail setting? Can you only get them on the intarweb?

I just ordered all Marvis flavours! [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Happy brrrrrrrrushin' ;D
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Ginger Mint so far is really good. Kind of fruity ?? :-?
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I started with whatever Mom bought, which was Crest then later Aquafresh. For quite a while now I've been using Mentadent. (referencing another thread, I stock up on it at Costco)

remember that those marketing picture of the entire toothbrush covered and curled back is bunk. pea-sized is all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBubba
    So where do you find these fine Marvis pastes in a retail setting? *Can you only get them on the intarweb?
    I got mine at my friendly neighborhood Sephora. That was a while ago so you may want to call before treking on over.
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

Quote Originally Posted by loungeboy
    [quote author=DrBubba link=1141133652/15#21 date=1149024522]So where do you find these fine Marvis pastes in a retail setting? Can you only get them on the intarweb?
    I got mine at my friendly neighborhood Sephora. That was a while ago so you may want to call before treking on over.[/quote]

I was out there on Friday and they didn't carry it anymore.

i used to always buy vicco - an ayurvedic indian paste with lots of herbs and spices in it, but primarilly anisey, IIRC. Now I use aquafresh - the one with the orange stripe in it and hte silver tube

anyone know about the company that makes like 28 toothpastes in all different foodie flavors? haven't tried them but interesting.

baald

I just tried Marvis Acquatic on the strength of the comments above. It is slightly different from the run of the mill mint toothpastes but it is not terribly special. I get a rather chalky taste out of it.
    Great package but (for the price) a bit disappointing.

Default If you can handle this...

Try Tom's of Maine children's toothpastes. On the one hand, they feel far gentler than your average menthol/anise/cinnamon mouth scourers, on the other hand they are not the most butch looking thing to have in the loo... but who cares

Me, I use floss+assorted metal implements+baking soda+(sometimes) a mothwash with fluoride; I go back and forth on the fluoride issue. Baking soda is not the yummiest thing going, but does a dandy job, and it is such a relief to get the stuff finally rinsed out of your mouth.

m.

Quote Originally Posted by drifting
    Anyone here have any experience with the Marvis brand?

The have some intersting flavors aimed at adults:
    Aquatic Mint
    Classic Strong Mint
    Ginger Mint
    Jasmine Mint
    Paradise Fruit Mint

Interested but they are a bit expensive.
    I had to try the two strangest ones!

Ginger-mint: lacks any distinctive ginger

Jasmine-mint: Okay, this one is awsome! If you like jasmine, you've gotta give this a try. I love a high grade jasmine tea or occasionaly going to a hooka bar for a round of jasmin and this rates right up there with them.

I don't use it regularly, but for an occasional jasmin smack in the mouth... this is the stuff.

My absolute favorite toothpaste is Rembrandt Intense. It costs about $6 to $8, the tube lasts a long time, and it makes your teeth outstandingly white. I LOVE IT!

I hoard that stuff...it's great, and I can hardly find it in the market up here. I also have a Sonicare toothbrush that I adore, and the Glide dental tape is my favorite. I am a little idiosyncratic about my teeth :P

I like to use baking soda first, then a whitening paste like Crest or Colgate. I follow this with a whitening mouthwash. Then floss when I can remember. Nothing better than regular dental check-ups. Flouride is a poison, but can't seem to get away from it in the states. Even Tom's natural toothpaste has it now and bottled water unless you get distilled.

here are some fluoride-free toothpastes:
    http://www.dentist.net/mint-free-toothpaste.asp

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Toothpaste..!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TDDanae View Post
    I like to use baking soda first, then a whitening paste like Crest or Colgate. I follow this with a whitening mouthwash. Then floss when I can remember. Nothing better than regular dental check-ups. Flouride is a poison, but can't seem to get away from it in the states. Even Tom's natural toothpaste has it now and bottled water unless you get distilled.
    TD this is not a challenge to you personally as I once had the same idea about fluoride until I did my own studying about most of what had been written about it. Sure, fluoride is a poison in higher concentrations, but so is table salt, white mushrooms etc. Just about everything we can consume has a toxic limit. Fluoride's happens to be in the low parts per million. Stay far below that level and there is no provable negative results other than a few idiosyncratic allergies to any amount, as found with many, many other things some of us ingest, including nuts, chocolate, wheat etc.

Fluoride in the concentrations found naturally in some spring/well water, particularly in parts of Texas, was found to help prevent decay without adverse affects IF it was below certain concentrations in ppm. That was the beginning of the understanding that fluoride incorporated into tooth structure as it formed changed the crystal structure of tooth enamel from one of hydroxyapatite crystal to fluoapatite crystal and thus made it about 10X more resistant to decay. Surface infusion can also changes the enamel structure favorably against decay but mostly limited to the very outer layers and not nearly as effective as incorporating the fluoride into the entire depth of tooth enamel when it is forming in children.

Valid and peer reviewed and repeated study after study has shown that FDA and ADA recommended ppm of fluoride in added to drinking water and toothpaste are not in any way toxic for almost everyone. Studies that show otherwise all have been found to have flaws that, were the flaws corrected, the studies would reinforce the fact that fluoride works and is a safe additive IF kept within FDA/WHO etc. dosage guidelines. I know of no valid study..and I stress valid study,,, that stands up to peer review and has not been proven flawed that indicates the positive effects of fluoride on preventing tooth decay and treating tooth root sensitivity is not true and that fluoride in the amounts necessary to accomplish this is toxic other than for reasons stated above. Anyone have access to a VALID, REPEATED and PEER REVIEWED, (not meaningless/false anecdotal evidence) study showing fluorides are poison or deleterious in any way when added under strict guidelines to water or product? Please send me the link.

Sorry if I sound like I am on a soap box but it somewhat irritates me that these flawed studies resurface every few years for a new group of people to be taken in by them. Mostly they are the same studies that have been proven beyond a shadow of doubt flawed over and again but they are dug up and used to scare people out of using one of the most effective methods of preventing or at least greatly lessening dental decay ever discovered.

Nothing wrong at all with personally choosing not to use products with fluoride added but continuing and blatently false info needs to be challenged.
    Last edited by kbe; 8th June 2007 at 08:45 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Another big thumbs up for Marvis Jasmin Mint.

My friend brought back some Colgate from Iran. It was "Herbal" flavour and was one of the best tasting toothpastes I had ever tried.

Myself, I enjoy Tom's of Maine Wintermint as well as Auromere's line. (Their soaps are beautiful as well!)

If I am feeling old school, I will bust out with the original formulas of Crest or Aim. (Gotta get those cavity creeps!! http://youtube.com/watch?v=vYNDZhNRO28)
    You are not your perfume.

I'm another Tom's of Maine fan. I think the spearmint is perfect.

Recently whilst visiting Greece, my most treasured purchase (besides my Burberry london and ST Dupont Noir), was in fact 4 tubes of my favourite toothpaste.

Colgate "OULODENT" is a hard one to source here in Denmark (impossible in fact), but is a great tasting paste that enormously assists the health of your gums. We stocked up in July, but are now making our way through the last tube.

I have never been 'moved' by toothpaste - until now.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Anyone remember Bucky Beaver and the "Brusha..brusha..brusha..here's the new Ipana.." TV commercials?

I second the post on flouride not being harmful when kept at certain levels. Now what about amalgam fillings? LOL...don't know! The arguement keeps circulating on that too. Maybe I should go ask my biochemist researcher friend she is good about giving her opinion on that.
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

Mentadent....nothing beats it for me

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

--------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by sameasalways View Post
    I second the post on flouride not being harmful when kept at certain levels. Now what about amalgam fillings? LOL...don't know! The arguement keeps circulating on that too. Maybe I should go ask my biochemist researcher friend she is good about giving her opinion on that.
    I made a similar study on mercury/silver (amalgam) fillings and come to the same conclusions: anecdotal and flawed studies continually resurface to frighten the public. There are hundreds of millions if not billions of amalgam fillings in hundreds of millions of people's teeth worldwide. Not a single valid study shows evidence of problems past the expected idiosyncratic individual ones with specific allergy to one or more components of amalgam. Incidently, the hydrocarbon resin (white) and other component white filling materials have just as many idiosyncratic problems when placed in the oral cavity, and they, too are few and far between.

Nothing bothers me more than to see an individual ill with some disease such as MS having all their amalgam fillings removed and replaced with gold or resin in a desperate attempt to become well based on erroneous information. It doesn't help..but it costs a bundle.
    Last edited by kbe; 9th January 2008 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have used Pepsodent for over 20 years because other brands make my lips peel.

Mainstream: Arm & Hammer
    Pricier: anything by Tom's of Maine, but esp. the fennel flavor and the ginger flavor

Btw, kbe, I don't personally remember the Ipana commercials you talked about (I was born in '67), but my stepmother used to laugh about them all the time . . . "it's dandy for your teeeeeeeeeeeeth!"

Having once had gingivitis myself (yuk -- all because I missed one 6 month cleaning!), I do everything I can to keep my teeth at their best. Bad oral hygiene is SO preventable.

Btw, I used to use a Korean brand called Acacia when I lived in South Korea. Along with a balloon flower flavored herbal cigarette called Toraji (I used to smoke back then), the Acacia brand is one of two South Korean brands I missed most when I moved back to the States in '93.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 8th January 2008 at 12:59 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    [B]

Btw, kbe, I don't personally remember the Ipana commercials you talked about (I was born in '67), but my stepmother used to laugh about them all the time . . . "it's dandy for your teeeeeeeeeeeeth!"

B]

My bet is that they can be accessed on YouTube or the like. I can't though..still a dialup Luddite

Sure enough, you were right!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7WMABRjTjM

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I love mint and the original flavor...
    Celebrity Fashion Trends and Style

Colgate Total

The original Indian VICCO toothpaste is really a must try!

The best toothpaste I've used: Nature's Answer "Periobrite"

http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Answ...ite-Toothpaste

Herbal. Fresh. Free of additives, fluoride, etc.

Ingredients: Calcium carbonate, vegetable glycerin, sodium bicarbonate, U.S.P. purified water, colloidal silica, peppermint oil, xanthan gum, xylitol, lysine, centipeda cunninghamii extract; extracts of echinacea purpurea tops, calendula flower, olive leaf, black walnut green hulls, gotu kola herb, chamomile flower, green tea leaf, prickly ash bark, grapefruit seed; essential oils of oregano, clove, thyme, lavender, cinnamon and eucalyptus; plant saponins, folic acid, coenzyme Q10, aloe vera, chlorophyll.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 24th January 2008 at 11:42 AM.

I swear by Colgate Total Advanced Fresh Gel.

I need to try Marvis, that jasmine sounds amazing. Is it foamy? that makes me gag... I usually use either Vicco Ayurvedic paste from the health food store; their cardamom cinnamon is hot 'n spicy!! for the past few months I've used Fresh's Umbrian Clay toothpaste. It looks like mud, but it tastes like Lemon-Mint and really feels awesome. Best of all - no horrid SLS foam.

there was a colgate version wtih eucalyptus and lemon and herbs that I liked a lot except it had the texture of toms of maine I kind of don't like how the dried paste dries up, not that it matters while brushing

Breath Palatte (Sic) is reaallllly nice but so expensive the lavender and rose are my favorites, they are all a little minty. espresso tastes just like haagen dazs coffee ice cream though no mint. delicious. also the little tubes are a major pain. the bitter chocolate disappointed me, the cola is like a flat coke, bleh. tea variants are ok. I have only tried about 15 varieties.

the SMN Iris toothpaste is very strange, extremely strong, you won't taste any iris, just herbs. you could kiss an hour after brushing and seem just brushed it's very pungent/harsh. it's grey in color and grainy lumpy actually in texture, and, weirdest of all is that you squeeze a little out then stop squeezing and it keeps coming out, just like the blob slowly, as if alive! very bizarre. when it spills and dries it's tough to get up. $19 for a tube per brush it's really about the same price as breathpallate but at least you don't spend half the time struggling to get toothpaste out of a tiny tube 10 times over. I would indulge in it more if it cost a little less I think.

fred segal carries It hink its marvis but I'm not sure Iv'e been afraid to ask how much. how much is the stuff?

whole foods has some nice ones if you like Tom's fennel you'll love "nature's gate creme d'anise" which is really like brushing with goodnplenty, scrumptious. there are other flavors there I was interested in can't recollect what they were though...

really though lavender mint and rose mint are awesome flavors for toothpaste wish someone would put them out in a reasonable form price and quantitywise.
    Last edited by chasefairfax; 12th March 2008 at 08:59 PM.

Where can I try the Breath Palette here in LA? or did you order online ? Shoot me an email.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I tried Tom of Maine's Fennel flavor (recommended by Tvlampboy) and I am hooked.

oh you want personal service? but what if everyone else would like to know...?

you can get breathepallate a for a little less on drugstore.com the "zen pallate" and you can get the curry toothpaste there too I think. . . which I have not tried...

I love Vicco!

i switched tho, and am actively looking for that Marvis jasmine toothpast...

Quote Originally Posted by Waldemar View Post
    The original Indian VICCO toothpaste is really a must try!

Thumbs up Botot Rules

Have been experimenting around with various TP's as of late. The best I've found is BOTOT.

A delicious blend which includes cinnamon, anise, cloves, gillyflower, ginger.

Am using a SonicAire electric brush. It's recommended to use it at least 2 minutes, but the taste of the 'TOT is so good, I always go for 4 minutes.

BOTOT originated in France & is generally conceded to be the worlds first mouthwash invented in 1755 by Dr. Julien Botot for Louis XV of France.

The Botot products have been mfg in Italy for quite some time. Like a century or so

The TP is, as far as I can tell the same flavor as the delightful, concentrated mouthwash.

Altho, updated & modernised somewhat with modern dentifrically beneficial
    ingredients, I figure Good Enough for Louis XV Good enough for moi

I buy online at Barberia Italiana (hq'd in Palm Beach FL). Very competitive prices & extensive selection of personal kit items. If you GOOGLE it you will find it.

BTW - The BI also sells other TP's & Rinses of interest other than Botot:
    The (very common) Marvis, Terme di Tabiano (Italy), Couto (Portugal), Capitano (Italy, my personal 2nd favorite).
    Last edited by hyperwarp; 2nd October 2008 at 10:22 PM.

I haven't tried the toothpaste but the mouthwash is good stuff. Also I love vitacost.com. Use coupon code aetna608 and you get 8% off. I love the flat $4.99 shipping too.

http://www.vitacost.com/Jason-Nutris...namon-and-Mint

This stuff is good for cinnamon lovers.

Nutrismile is all-Natural Ester-CŪ, Pure and Organic Toothpaste
    High potency Ester-CŪ and natural anti-bacterials help defend against decay and tartar formation. Natural whiteners polish and whiten without harsh chemicals. Orange, Cinnamon, and Mint Natural fresheners eliminate halitosis.

Ingredients: Calcium, Sodium, Magnesium, Zinc, L-Absorbic acid, Calcium carbonate, Glycerin, Water, Stevioside, Carrageenan, Grapefruit extract, Silica, Aloe vera gel, Cranberry extract, Sodium bicarbonate, Perilla extract, Essential oils (cramberry, blueberry, strawberry, cinnamon, ginger), Sodium cocoyl glutamate.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    The best toothpaste I've used: Nature's Answer "Periobrite"

http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Answ...ite-Toothpaste

Herbal. Fresh. Free of additives, fluoride, etc.

Ingredients: Calcium carbonate, vegetable glycerin, sodium bicarbonate, U.S.P. purified water, colloidal silica, peppermint oil, xanthan gum, xylitol, lysine, centipeda cunninghamii extract; extracts of echinacea purpurea tops, calendula flower, olive leaf, black walnut green hulls, gotu kola herb, chamomile flower, green tea leaf, prickly ash bark, grapefruit seed; essential oils of oregano, clove, thyme, lavender, cinnamon and eucalyptus; plant saponins, folic acid, coenzyme Q10, aloe vera, chlorophyll.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!