Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default best shave cream

I'm thinking about going with either The Art of Shaving or Zirh shave cream. What are your opinions on the best shave cream(s) available, high-end or mass market doesn't matter. thanks

Default Re: best shave cream

Hi Dennard
    Are you intending to use a shaving brush with the cream? If so, I would def go for Art of Shaving, but you should also consider E Shave and Geo. F. Trumper who also make absolutely some of the best shaving creams around and have a far larger range to choose from depending on your skin type and preference.

Sante.
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Thanks, Sante

I have a shaving brush, but I don't use it much. I typically use a foam or gel and apply with my fingers, so I could go either way. I'll definitely check out the e-shave and trumper lines as I have heard good things about them.

If you're looking for the BEST and don't mind price, try CASTLE FORBES from Scotland. Can't be beat, IMHO!

Tom
    NoNonScents!! Getting Ready to Retire....

Hi Dennard.

I would definitely go with either e Shave or Geo. F. Trumper too, and use a brush. I feel a brush helps raising the hair and makes the skin smoother.

I favour for the Trumper Sandalwood, but they are all good.

Justin.

Btw, does anyone know where I can get this brands in Australia??

Trumpers Violet Shave Cream.. a common favorite among the wet shaver boards.

Regards,
    n8

Trumpers Violet is something special.. it's a great mellow fragrance and a damn nice cream

Castle Forbes Lime may be the single best scent in the world to wake up to.

I also like the J. Peterman 1903 cream.. great shave, great scent.

With a brush you shouldn't discount soaps either.. I have the no.88 soap and it's a nice addition.. my bush is a bit more suited to creams but it still lathers quite nicely even if it does take a big longer.

I must say that I going with drfting here, I love my Geo.F. Trumper Shave Cream Violet, but I also use the soap version. I like the Shave Cream Tube when I am out traveling.

To Justin, I know that you can get Trumper at Ludlow in Melbourne, but eShave does not seem to have a distributor in Australia, but both brands are available at www.artofman.com.au, which seems to import them themselves.

Hope this helped.

kent34

Thanks again everyone for the input.

Hi! too true, the violet from trumpers i hve used for years, it really is the best with a brush. Also try the rose, great smell. I work in a top london hotel and we send loads to trumpers, americans always come back with the rose!

Ajaccio Violets is the best cologne!
    coor blimey mary poppins, is that Aqua Motu or the penguins?

I've been using Brave Shave with a brush. Amazing!

I've used Zirh gel in the past and liked it wuite a bit.

I currently use Zirh Shave Gel and really like it. I doubt I'd ever go back to a cream. Making a production out of shaving with the brush, etc. is just too much work for me, though I understand why some would like it.

Gillette's Gel(the new blue one) is cheap and incredible.
    It softens beards incredibly quick and leaves the skin soft and refreshed, also has a not-so-strong pleasing scent.
    It's so good to use in the morning when I don't have enough time, it's so easy and quick to use, you push the botton to have a LITTLE BIT of the blue gel in your hand, apply it on the face and it will become foam as by magic, you wait 3 minutes and your face is ready for a painless smooth shave!

If I have time(to use a brush) or when I have dry skin, I would use Shave Cream from The Body Shop. It has coconut and sesame oil ingredients in it and it feels SO good on skin. It's one of the richest cream I've ever used and it has a "culinary" perfume in it, something that reminds me of a sweet cake.

I like the Musgo Real shave cream from Claus Porto. This shaving cream is very good to the skin and I like the classic scent.
    Few days ago I tried The Art of Shaving. Using it with the pre shave oil it's very fine too, but more expensive.

Trumpers is the best I've ever tried. I don't think the scent matters (but mine was Sandalwood).
    Renato

I love e Shave Cucumber. It saves me from ingrown hairs. Smells really like Cucumber, but be aware that smell does not sit back after the shave.

Sydguy

Hrm...I've heard of Trumpers but never seen it. I went to their website but didn't see any kind of "where to buy" link.

Where to buy?

It looks like two websites who carry their products are spaskin.com and amazon.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard
    It looks like two websites who carry their products are spaskin.com and amazon.com.

Excellent.

I am hoping to find a brick & mortar retailer too.

I just tried a sample of the Truefitt & Hill "Ultimate Comfort Shaving Cream" and I was very impressed.
    I also tried the "Ultimate After Shave Balm" and its equally awesome.

http://www.truefittandhill.com/Merch...tegory_Code=SC

M
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    WANTED buy/swap: Creed "Acier Aluminum" , L'Occitane "Eav des Bavx", Comme Des Garcons stuff especially "Dry Clean"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Top 10: TM Cologne, Mark Birley, Dzing, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Geir, Divine's "L'Homme de Coeur", Penhaligons 'Endymion",
    Creed Original Vetiver, Diptique Tam Dao, Hugo Boss "Spirit"

The 3 Ts (Taylors, Trumpers, Truefit & Hill) all great.

www.qedusa.com - for Taylors and Trumpers
    www.shavingcream.com - for Truefitt & Hill

I bought Trumper's Sandalwood, Rose and Violet, but haven't tried them yet.
    The Art of Shaving's Sandalwood, Musgo Real, Cyril R. Salter's Indian Sandalwood and The Body Shop I have used and they are recommendable.
    I also bought Speick, Taylor of Old Bond Street's Eton Collage, Taylor of Old Bond Street's Sandalwood and Haslinger's shaving soap in Sandalwood and Calendula, but haven't tried them yet.

Think I have shaving creams now until I'm 80. LOL! ;D

(at the moment I prefer The Art of Shaving's Sandalwood, because I love the smell)
    Last edited by dr.creed; 19th August 2006 at 08:21 AM.
    dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Update: The very best shave cream I have used yet has to be Cyril R. Salter's Indian Sandalwood. This one is to die for! Actually I was looking for exactly this. It's so rich and creamy, like LV Sandalo with Lutens' Santal de Mysore, but not so sweet like LV. This is quite inexpensive, but I for myself found the cream of the crop:

http://www.english-scent.de/shop/pro...09&cPath=10_12

Last edited by dr.creed; 15th July 2006 at 10:57 PM.
    dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I recently got Trumpers Sandalwood cream, which is great, but what I recently discovered is this Italian cream by Proraso.
    Fantastic stuff! It lathers easily and it has a cooling effect, which feels great, especially on hot days like now. And the price is not bad either, 5 euro for a tube. I really have to order their pre-,after shave cream soon. Have read great things about it.

http://www.proraso.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    I recently got Trumpers Sandalwood cream, which is great, but what I recently discovered is this Italian cream by Proraso.
    Fantastic stuff! It lathers easily and it has a cooling effect, which feels great, especially on hot days like now. And the price is not bad either, 5 euro for a tube. I really have to order their pre-,after shave cream soon. Have read great things about it.

http://www.proraso.co.uk/
    Yes, I use the Proraso soap from time to time as well. The cooling effect is really great, sometimes even sharp. The 75ml soap I got for 2.00 Euros. Cheapo!

dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Its not a sexy pick, but Neutrogena Men Razor Defense. Best I've ever used.

Undeniably best all purpose: Jack Black.

TNMA

Let me toss a line at you: Castle Forbes. Essential Oils, they have Limes and Lavendar and they are adding a cedarwood based one come fall. A website, www.qedusa.com, has similar scents in their glycerin shave soap, and they have shave sticks I use as well.

Come discuss this with us at www.shavemyface.com

Sam, moderator of off-topic there.

cream=Nancy Boy Shave cream
    soap=Boeliss
    oil=Dermalogica Professional Shave

I'll be in London next week and plan on having a shave at Taylor's on Old Bond Street. While "Im there, I might as well purchase the 'goodies'!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Taylor of old bond: I forgot that I don't like violet when I ordered this cream, but it's still pleasant. It gives a very close shave, but that comes with the potential for extra irritation. My face is always a little sore (but not red) after I use this stuff. The lather is so-so.

Proraso cream: Really fantastic cooling cream. The lather is good, the smell is so-so. It seems like I get a little bit less irritation with this stuff compared to the taylor's, but that might be due to the cooling effect.

Nameless Walgreen's glycerine shaving soap: By far the least irritation of anything I've ever used. My face doesn't even feel like it's been shaved when I use this, which is why I reserve it for times when I need to go out right after I shave (no redness or cuts). It takes a while to build up a good lather, but your work will be rewarded. The downside to this stuff is that my shave doesn't last as long (ie, it doesn't cut as close as the other creams).

I shave every other day, but using the glycerine soap means that my stubble is very noticeable on the second day. with the other creams, my second-day stubble just barely looks like five-o'clock shadow (i have blonde facial hair).

For the record, I use a merkur safety razor with merkur platinum DE blades; brush is by Baxter of California.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

small trivia: if you go to www.proraso.com, you will see that the company is owned by Ludovico Martelli - the same guy who helped Lorenzo Villoresi in setting up his business in the early 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcello
    small trivia: if you go to www.proraso.com, you will see that the company is owned by Ludovico Martelli - the same guy who helped Lorenzo Villoresi in setting up his business in the early 90s.

I have to give props to Proraso as well.

A few years ago I started developing razor bumps on my neck so bad, and compounding with the fact that I am prone to eczema on my face, that I stopped shaving with a traditional cartridge razor/gel. I started using the "bump guard razor" which is marketed for African Americans, but worked ok for me, but it cut so long I had 5 o'clock shadow from the minute I was done. I still used gel.

Recently I have finally got my eczema under control, and decided to follow my Dad's footsteps, and purchased some Proraso at Target and a cheapy boar brush. I had an old double edge plastic handled Gillette saftey razor stored away, and busted it out as well.

My god I will never go back. I have to say, using this simple equipment is leaps and bounds beyond any cartridge/disposable and gel I have ever used. I'm sure Proraso probably isn't the best cake soap out there, but its def different in texture- kind of spongey and whipped looking. At any rate it beats anything I have used in a tin can with a belt, and I love the cooling sensation.

I'm already in the market for a Merkur Heavy Classic (the original Merkur was what my Dad did and probably still owns) and a badger brush. I'm hooked.

Look Dad, no bumps.
    Last edited by Dayknight; 6th September 2006 at 03:08 AM.

Update:

I just bought a tube of American Crew herbal shave cream (as opposed to the shave cream, which comes in a tub).

There is something perplexing about a shave cream that smells vaguely ambery/spciy and then feels like ice water when it is applied. This stuff makes Proraso feel like hot cocoa.
    And, like some other creams, it trades a close shave for less irritation. I had no bumps or nicks, but on the other hand my face isn't as smooth as it could be.

It doesn't create lather (I tried and tried), so just rub it on with your hands.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

I really love my newly bought Decléor Rasage Express cream. Cooling and lovely.

I'd love to try the Art of Shaving stuff and guess I will when I run out of this one. Recommended though. It really softens my hair real good and I have very stubborn hairs...

Coates Tee Tree shaving creme is excellent. I also like Nancy Boy and the truffit & Hill line of cremes.

Last edited by eric; 27th January 2010 at 10:53 AM.

I have used the following shave creams/gels/foams:

Biotherm T-Pur(exclusively for 3 years), Gillette for emergency situations when I ran out of Biotherm T-pur and too lazy to go to Macy's,Clinique Shave Cream,Clinique Aloe Gel Shave gel,Zirh Shave Gel,Zirh Shave Cream for a year, and finally recently L'Occitane Cade Shave Cream.

My local Dept Store stopped carrying Zirh so I switched to L'Occitane Cade Shave Cream and I must say it is by far the BEST shave cream that I have ever used. It's just so smooth,creamy,that just plain works. It moisturizes my skin,baby soft! It is just a joy using it every morning! I'm not too crazy abou its scent but I'm nit picking.

GO GET L'Occitane Cade Shave Cream! The Best!
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

Colgate Shaving Cream. It's just a cheap store brand that is amazing.

Only the best will do when it comes down to my face! Nothing's too good for my face!
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

I am not a brush & bowl shaver, I use Santa Maria Novella from the can, and think it is very nice. When travelling, I use John Allan's brushless in a tube, and it works very well also.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    I'll be in London next week and plan on having a shave at Taylor's on Old Bond Street. While "Im there, I might as well purchase the 'goodies'!
    I did visit Taylor's at Old Bond Street in London ( thanks to MarkinLondon's recommendation ). It was great because I had the chance to meet Mr. Leonard Taylor himself. I bought the badger brush w/ stand, pre-shave treatment and Taylor's sandalwood shaving soap.

I also had the chance to visit Galicia, Spain and while I was there, I bought the shaving soap of Manantiales de La Toja. I really like this one!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

I bought the Proraso pre-shave some weeks ago and I couldn't believe the results. This stuff is absolutely amazing. After shaving the skin is quite dry though, an after-shave is recommended when using this.

I just thougth I would say thanks to those who have posted to this thread since I last visited, since I started it. I have tried several different foams, creams, gels out there. The best thing I have found is gillette foamy regular, one of the cheapest ones available. I wanted to like the body shop and neutrogena creams, but didn't. They firmed up quickly so were hard on my razor. So the search continues. . .

I shave almost daily, my head. I use headslick by headblade. I find it doesn't gunk too bad and it does a darn good job.
    -iStink

I have tried many Trumper creams like almond, coconut and sandalwood, and the difference between these and Gillette foams is pretty clear - Trumper creams and Musgo real provide far more lather, comfort, glide and skin moisturizing properties. They might be more expensive than the Edges and Gillettes, but a little goes a long way. Ofcourse you should know how to wet shave, else it wont work.
    -

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I have used everything from warmed olive oil through French shaving soap applied with a beaver fur brush.

The best I have found for my disposable razor wet shave is an application of foam to a damp beard from the aerosol can of Barbasol regular, bought from our local Big Discounts store @ $1 per can.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Thumbs up Re: best shave cream

After reading through this thread, I went to Target and bought the Proraso cream in the tube. Great results and better than my old Lab Series shave cream. The tube makes it perfect for travel, too!

Taylor's are pretty good value, they make a good lather for me. But, i'm just not so crazy with their scenting. Haven't tried the avocado yet which many people seem to rave about.

Then there are the usual suspects: Proraso, Musgo Real.

The three T's are worth their money, tough part is figuring out your favorites - there's quite a lineup of selection to work through.
    blackguard, n.
    3 : an inverted gentleman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ5a2JH_BVE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWEOaosGDi0
    ... où flotte l'étendard ...
    ... Ich will die Ruhe stören ...
    ... Stand up and admit it! ...

A special mention should be made of the Nancy Boy shaving cream, which even trumps the three T's (no mean feat).
    -

I had my time around Christmas when I started reading and posting on badgerandblade.com

Taylor's Avocado and Rose (the old formulation) are recommended in every second post there. Around Christmas I couldn't resist buying big tubs of several new shave creams, which included Blenheim Bouquet, Taylor Rose (I was lucky and got exactly that old formulation in tub form), Tabac Original, Taylor's Avocado, Trumpers Coconut, Palmolive (European version), Aqua di Parma and D.R. Harris Almond.

Still there was much out there and finally I found a "shave cream decant offering" on badgerandblade which was the way to go for me. I ordered 12 decants or samples of stuff I was interested in from reading there and the idea is great. You get an impression on the material and scent without having to pluck down the money for a tub or tube. I won't buy any big shave creams in the near future, think I have around enough different ones now.

My favourite at the time? Definitely that old Taylor Rose!
    dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Mine is the Nancy Boy shave cream.

Cool Re: best shave cream

For years I used Crabtree and Evelyn's almond cream.

(Now discontinued or in hiding ?)

Then tried Casswell Massey's almond (bad) and T&H's almond (good)

But never as happy as with the C&E.

So I've tried Taylor's rose, 1805, Nancy Boy, St. James, Salter's Sandalwood, plus some of Art of Shaving's overpriced stuff; Proraso's underpriced cream (though it is the pre-shave which cools the skin that makes the grade) and simple clear gels like Neutrogena, as well as a Bay Rhum soap I got on e-bay which is excellent, but whose name I'm too lazy to look up right now and--oh, Buddha knows what else!

Now, gentlemen: A question about scent.
    Not smoothness or lack of irritation--- just SCENT.

Does anything last more than 45 minutes?

(Not saying it HAS to, mind you--just want to know if it does)

I think it's hard for me to tell how my own face smells 10 min after I've finished shaving.

--------------------------

Perhaps as an experiment I'll apply a dab of one of the shaving creams on the back of my hand, wash it off and see how long the scent lasts.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I didn't come across a shave cream which scent lasted recognisable on skin for such a long time, but if you buy the unscented shave cream by The Art of Shaving and spray some No. 88 in it, I'm sure it lasts some hours. The other unscented shave cream (think it was Taylor's) is not 100% unscented. That's at least what I read. I didn't test them yet.

It was only yesterday I tested that famous (for the price ) Castle Forbes - Limes (one of my 12 decants from badgerandblade): Not sure if the price is fair, 32 Euro is quite a hit IMHO, but the cream lathers, smells and works really great; on the other side Truefitt & Hill's West Indian Limes is fabulous as well and can be bought here for 13 Euro. Funny, I hate the Cologne, but the shave cream smells rather different IMHO.

I love my shave creams and I always use quite a lot for three passes. Having a lot of big tubs, tubes and decants from badgerandblade, this doesn't hurt at all.
    Last edited by dr.creed; 30th March 2007 at 07:23 AM.
    dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed View Post
    I didn't come across a shave cream which scent lasted recognisable on skin for such a long time, but if you buy the unscented shave cream by The Art of Shaving and spray some No. 88 in it, I'm sure it lasts some hours. The other unscented shave cream (think it was Taylor's) is not 100% unscented. That's at least what I read. I didn't test them yet.

It was only yesterday I tested that famous (for the price ) Castle Forbes - Limes (one of my 12 decants from badgerandblade): Not sure if the price is fair, 32 Euro is quite a hit IMHO, but the cream lathers, smells and works really great; on the other side Truefitt & Hill's West Indian Limes is fabulous as well and can be bought here for 13 Euro. Funny, I hate the Cologne, but the shave cream smells rather different IMHO.

I love my shave creams and I always use quite a lot for three passes. Having a lot of big tubs, tubes and decants from badgerandblade, this doesn't hurt at all.
    The folks over at Badgerandblade are probably groaning right now, same as we do when someone says that "Aqua di Gio is an expensive cologne, but it's money well spent because the ChIcK$ L0V3 IT PWN3S mak3s th3M WanT HaV3 BIG S3XY T1M3!"... I love cologne.

All jokes any ninny fanny aside, I use Taylor's Avocado cream myself, and I have to say it's very nice. I can't say that it's the most amazing stuff out there, but it is definitely the best stuff I've ever used, and also the first cream that I use my brush with.

I want to try a few of their other creams; Almond, Rose, Lemon & Lime, and Sandalwood being the most lusted after. I'll probably get Rose next, then Sandalwood, L&L and last, Almond. Seeing as my first tub has lasted me over six months, I don't see me trying Almond in the near future, but I'm about due in a month or so for a new tub, gettin' pretty excited for that Rose!

By the way Doc, two questions, that is Brad Pitt in your profile, no? What movie is that from? Second, by three passes, you mean you have three wet:lather:shave cycles? I've only ever done one, but unless I go against the grain, I never get all that close... maybe I should try this out sometime.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_ View Post
    By the way Doc, two questions, that is Brad Pitt in your profile, no? What movie is that from? Second, by three passes, you mean you have three wet:lather:shave cycles? I've only ever done one, but unless I go against the grain, I never get all that close... maybe I should try this out sometime.
    - Rich
    Ha! No - that is not Brad Pitt! That is Richey James Edwards, the lost part of the Manic Street Preachers. Still missing perfumed dead - sorry I mean presumed dead.

By three passes I mean I first shave with the grain, then against it and finally the ultra super fine last pass.
    dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Where can I find that picture except bigger? I googled it, but to no avail.

BTW, I tried three passes today... wow. I haven't been this smooth in a LONG time. I did 1.)With, 2.)Against, and 3.) With again. The 3rd pass didn't feel like it was doing anything. I'm contemplating doing the last pass against, thoughts?
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Couldn't find the pic on the net myself. Here's a link to it though:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/drcreed/74.jpg

Third pass I do in various directions, but mainly against. The result is far better than with the grain. Somewhere, maybe it was badgerandblade.com - I saw some pics of an enlarged hair and how a three pass shave works optimal and why. It makes sense that the hair is cut from two different sides, because of the structure of a hair. It seems the third pass against is not doing very much, it feels like the razor is gliding over softest skin only, but there's a difference on certain spots like neck, under the nose and hair line. All in all I like the third pass best, because I know it's the cream of da crop.
    --------------------------------------
    By the way, I use a Mach 3 Razor with a Blade Master. Blade Master is a german invention with patent, it uses a magnet system to extend the life of a razor - up to 4 times it says. I don't shave ever day, every second or third, so the razor I use at the moment is three months old and it still works perfect. I will change the razor in the next days though. Razors, especially the new Fusion will get quite expensive when changing every seven to ten shaves, so this is a really good idea IMHO and it's only 15.00 Euro here in europe.
    Last edited by dr.creed; 1st April 2007 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

The ones i have used & found to be very good are;
    Castle Forbes Lavender
    Trumpers Violet
    Proraso
    Taylors Almond
    Musgo Real.

I got these three recently (All of them tub creams):
    1.) Rose by Taylor of Old Bond St.
    2.) Shave Shop by TOBS.
    3.) 1805 by Truefitt and Hill.

The Rose is nice, nothing groundbreaking.
    The Shave Shop I haven't used yet, but what I've smelled so far is lemon (I was thinking maybe Bay Rum would be in this...)
    1805 is awesome smelling but I haven't used it yet. I want the cologne already.
    - Rich