Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Dependent
    Blog Entries

Default best shave cream

I'm thinking about going with either The Art of Shaving or Zirh shave cream. What are your opinions on the best shave cream(s) available, high-end or mass market doesn't matter. thanks

Default Re: best shave cream

Hi Dennard
    Are you intending to use a shaving brush with the cream? If so, I would def go for Art of Shaving, but you should also consider E Shave and Geo. F. Trumper who also make absolutely some of the best shaving creams around and have a far larger range to choose from depending on your skin type and preference.

Sante.
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Sante

I have a shaving brush, but I don't use it much. I typically use a foam or gel and apply with my fingers, so I could go either way. I'll definitely check out the e-shave and trumper lines as I have heard good things about them.

If you're looking for the BEST and don't mind price, try CASTLE FORBES from Scotland. Can't be beat, IMHO!

Tom
    NoNonScents!! Getting Ready to Retire....

Hi Dennard.

I would definitely go with either e Shave or Geo. F. Trumper too, and use a brush. I feel a brush helps raising the hair and makes the skin smoother.

I favour for the Trumper Sandalwood, but they are all good.

Justin.

Btw, does anyone know where I can get this brands in Australia??

Trumpers Violet Shave Cream.. a common favorite among the wet shaver boards.

Regards,
    n8

Trumpers Violet is something special.. it's a great mellow fragrance and a damn nice cream

Castle Forbes Lime may be the single best scent in the world to wake up to.

I also like the J. Peterman 1903 cream.. great shave, great scent.

With a brush you shouldn't discount soaps either.. I have the no.88 soap and it's a nice addition.. my bush is a bit more suited to creams but it still lathers quite nicely even if it does take a big longer.

I must say that I going with drfting here, I love my Geo.F. Trumper Shave Cream Violet, but I also use the soap version. I like the Shave Cream Tube when I am out traveling.

To Justin, I know that you can get Trumper at Ludlow in Melbourne, but eShave does not seem to have a distributor in Australia, but both brands are available at www.artofman.com.au, which seems to import them themselves.

Hope this helped.

kent34

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Thanks again everyone for the input.

Hi! too true, the violet from trumpers i hve used for years, it really is the best with a brush. Also try the rose, great smell. I work in a top london hotel and we send loads to trumpers, americans always come back with the rose!

Ajaccio Violets is the best cologne!
    coor blimey mary poppins, is that Aqua Motu or the penguins?

I've been using Brave Shave with a brush. Amazing!

I've used Zirh gel in the past and liked it wuite a bit.

I currently use Zirh Shave Gel and really like it. I doubt I'd ever go back to a cream. Making a production out of shaving with the brush, etc. is just too much work for me, though I understand why some would like it.

Gillette's Gel(the new blue one) is cheap and incredible.
    It softens beards incredibly quick and leaves the skin soft and refreshed, also has a not-so-strong pleasing scent.
    It's so good to use in the morning when I don't have enough time, it's so easy and quick to use, you push the botton to have a LITTLE BIT of the blue gel in your hand, apply it on the face and it will become foam as by magic, you wait 3 minutes and your face is ready for a painless smooth shave!

If I have time(to use a brush) or when I have dry skin, I would use Shave Cream from The Body Shop. It has coconut and sesame oil ingredients in it and it feels SO good on skin. It's one of the richest cream I've ever used and it has a "culinary" perfume in it, something that reminds me of a sweet cake.

I like the Musgo Real shave cream from Claus Porto. This shaving cream is very good to the skin and I like the classic scent.
    Few days ago I tried The Art of Shaving. Using it with the pre shave oil it's very fine too, but more expensive.

Trumpers is the best I've ever tried. I don't think the scent matters (but mine was Sandalwood).
    Renato

I love e Shave Cucumber. It saves me from ingrown hairs. Smells really like Cucumber, but be aware that smell does not sit back after the shave.

Sydguy

Hrm...I've heard of Trumpers but never seen it. I went to their website but didn't see any kind of "where to buy" link.

Where to buy?

Dependent
    Blog Entries

It looks like two websites who carry their products are spaskin.com and amazon.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard
    It looks like two websites who carry their products are spaskin.com and amazon.com.

Excellent.

I am hoping to find a brick & mortar retailer too.

I just tried a sample of the Truefitt & Hill "Ultimate Comfort Shaving Cream" and I was very impressed.
    I also tried the "Ultimate After Shave Balm" and its equally awesome.

http://www.truefittandhill.com/Merch...tegory_Code=SC

M
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Back on Basenotes after about a 6 year absence. Need to time to re-adjust

The 3 Ts (Taylors, Trumpers, Truefit & Hill) all great.

www.qedusa.com - for Taylors and Trumpers
    www.shavingcream.com - for Truefitt & Hill

I bought Trumper's Sandalwood, Rose and Violet, but haven't tried them yet.
    The Art of Shaving's Sandalwood, Musgo Real, Cyril R. Salter's Indian Sandalwood and The Body Shop I have used and they are recommendable.
    I also bought Speick, Taylor of Old Bond Street's Eton Collage, Taylor of Old Bond Street's Sandalwood and Haslinger's shaving soap in Sandalwood and Calendula, but haven't tried them yet.

Think I have shaving creams now until I'm 80. LOL! ;D

(at the moment I prefer The Art of Shaving's Sandalwood, because I love the smell)
    Last edited by dr.creed; 19th August 2006 at 08:21 AM.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Update: The very best shave cream I have used yet has to be Cyril R. Salter's Indian Sandalwood. This one is to die for! Actually I was looking for exactly this. It's so rich and creamy, like LV Sandalo with Lutens' Santal de Mysore, but not so sweet like LV. This is quite inexpensive, but I for myself found the cream of the crop:

http://www.english-scent.de/shop/pro...09&cPath=10_12

Last edited by dr.creed; 15th July 2006 at 10:57 PM.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I recently got Trumpers Sandalwood cream, which is great, but what I recently discovered is this Italian cream by Proraso.
    Fantastic stuff! It lathers easily and it has a cooling effect, which feels great, especially on hot days like now. And the price is not bad either, 5 euro for a tube. I really have to order their pre-,after shave cream soon. Have read great things about it.

http://www.proraso.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    I recently got Trumpers Sandalwood cream, which is great, but what I recently discovered is this Italian cream by Proraso.
    Fantastic stuff! It lathers easily and it has a cooling effect, which feels great, especially on hot days like now. And the price is not bad either, 5 euro for a tube. I really have to order their pre-,after shave cream soon. Have read great things about it.

http://www.proraso.co.uk/
    Yes, I use the Proraso soap from time to time as well. The cooling effect is really great, sometimes even sharp. The 75ml soap I got for 2.00 Euros. Cheapo!

decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Its not a sexy pick, but Neutrogena Men Razor Defense. Best I've ever used.

Undeniably best all purpose: Jack Black.

TNMA

Let me toss a line at you: Castle Forbes. Essential Oils, they have Limes and Lavendar and they are adding a cedarwood based one come fall. A website, www.qedusa.com, has similar scents in their glycerin shave soap, and they have shave sticks I use as well.

Come discuss this with us at www.shavemyface.com

Sam, moderator of off-topic there.

cream=Nancy Boy Shave cream
    soap=Boeliss
    oil=Dermalogica Professional Shave

I'll be in London next week and plan on having a shave at Taylor's on Old Bond Street. While "Im there, I might as well purchase the 'goodies'!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS