Code of Conduct

Default Dry hair suggestions?

So after i shampoo and condition my hair, unfortunately it becomes like dry straw when it dries..I have been using Kiehls silk groom cream which is great for styling and in keeping my hair conditioned. But im kind of looking to switch up..Any suggestions what other product i could use? I was thinking a leave in conditioner?...

Right now my hair is kind of medium long blonde hair kind of surfer look, so it was a pain using the silk cream because i needed more then the dime size recommended since my hair is so dry, although after using it my hair was moist/conditioned but on other hand flat, lacking that beach/surfer just out of water look...Also a gel is a no no for my hair? Any suggestion for perhaps leave in conditioner or product similar to silk creme, or maybe something else great that im not aware of?

Thanks!

Default Re: Dry hair suggestions?

Forgot to add..I had a look at other Kiehls products that im thinking may be what im looking for any experience with them,and would they be what im looking for?

Panthenol Protein Hair Conditioner Softener, Hair Conditioner and Grooming Aid Formula 133, Leave-in hair conditioner?

I use pure shea butter.

Aubrey Organics, from what i can tell thus far, seem to be very good. Their products are Organic and mild, not harsh. I find that when i use their shampoo and conditioner, yes i get fuzziness (as is the case when i wash my hair with anything) but it's not as bad as with most stuff, and calms down quicker. I'm using their Ginko moisturising Jelly at the moment. Despite what it sounds like, it seems to me to be essentially a hair gel. But an old trick of mine is to gel my hair when between damp and towel dried, (just nice for styling, but still fairly damp) and gently run it in with my palms and finger tips, and leave to dry before going out in the wind. If you fiddle at it too much it'll likely rub out, so it's best to have an idea of how you want to style it and get it done briefly with as few strokes as possible. If you don't like the wet/gelled look, wait till it is definately dry then gently pat it out - not too hard to get the wet look out, but sits without fuzziness (if you do it right, may take practice) I do this sometimes when i want my hair to look more natural and less gel-head. Anyways it works for me, not every time of course, but it may be at least worth a try, at least even with a gel you already have.

PS, I have recently started using pure Jojoba oil for my hair (just gently working through wee bit, in the damp to towel dried phase) which i acquired in a local organic store. shouldnt be too hard to find, Aubrey do one, but i have difficulty ordering from the US, and was well pleased to find it at a pretty reasonable price. Anyways, apparently this stuff is (according to an Aubrey customer's testimonial) one of the closest oils to your hair's natural sebum. Essentially, i think the fuzziness comes from the shampoo detergent stripping the hair's natural oils away..

PPS, regarding Aubrey, they do a shampoo and conditioner for swimmers, so it might be useful to you if you surf.. it does however mention chlorine, so may be more for swimming pools, but you could read up on it on their website (they have helpful testimonials) and see if it would suit your purposes.

Hope this helps, man. Dave

what about phyto?:
    After Sun Repair Mask to treat it?
    and for styling try their Moisturizing After Sun Styling Gel.
    and for protection before and after: their Protective Sun Veil this one will be like a shield from chlorine.

i was a swimmer for over 24 years and my hair got better only after i stopped doing it regularly.

at the time i used a lot of stuff on the hair to try to repair it and mantain it but the best is to stay away from the water and that was the most difficult thing ever for me!
    now i miss it a lot ... i am the happiest when i'm underwater....i used to swin at nightime BTW cause the sun is no friend of mine either!

Quote Originally Posted by ecwlukeny
    So after i shampoo and condition my hair, unfortunately it becomes like dry straw when it dries..I have been using Kiehls silk groom cream which is great for styling and in keeping my hair conditioned. But im kind of looking to switch up..Any suggestions what other product i could use? I was thinking a leave in conditioner?...

Right now my hair is kind of medium long blonde hair kind of surfer look, so it was a pain using the silk cream because i needed more then the dime size recommended since my hair is so dry, although after using it my hair was moist/conditioned but on other hand flat, lacking that beach/surfer just out of water look...Also a gel is a no no for my hair? * * Any suggestion for perhaps leave in conditioner or product similar to silk creme, or maybe something else great that im not aware of?

Thanks!

Is your hair naturally dry, or has it become damaged because of other things - hairdryers, certain products, too harsh clarifying shampoos, swimming in a chlorinated pool or saltwater, etc?

If it's the pool, you need to get the chlorine out and there are certain products that work for that. Actually, I just started a thread on the off -topics boards for swimmers and this topic too - http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1148434459

But if it's just damaged from other stuff, try a really good deep conditioner. It's something you should do about once a week and if your hair is really bad right now, maybe you could try it 2 to 3 times a week for a couple of weeks to get you started. You usually put it in towel-dried hair (but still damp), let it stay in for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the product, and then rinse out. There are good ones out there and some women even use VO5 hot oil treatment (drugstore product). I've lately been using a classic Loreal deep conditioner that I can only find at my stylist's salon; it's a professional product. Now I just use it in the shower - shampoo, rinse, wring out hair, put in conditioner, and then do the rest of my shower routine while the conditioner sits. Rinsing out the conditioner is the last thing I do before exiting the shower. It helps tremendously.

I often leave just a touch of regular conditioner in my hair when washing it - don't rinse it all out. It does help smooth the cuticle and keep the hair soft. You could try a leave-in conditioner (Bumble and Bumble is supposed to make a good one, but I haven't tried it), but a regular one might work the same way and save you $$$ and time. But a leave in conditioner, especially one with an SPF protector, would be good for you if you're in the sun a lot.

Comb your hair when wet - don't use a brush which will tear the ends. Brushes are only for hair that's been dried.

Lastly, my stylist told me (don't know if this is true) that overusing product with silicone, dimethicone, etc., can abuse hair.

Yes, leave-in conditioner, preferably all organic without preservatives, since some of it is going to absorb through your skin. I've been using it for quite a few years now, replacing all my styling products.

Virgin (cold expeller pressed, not purified) olive and avocado oils will improve hair structure when used consistently in the long term, however they is easy to overdose. You only need a few drops applied it to wet hair right after shower - water helps distribute it evenly.