Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 67
  1. #1

    Default Men and nail polish

    Is there anyone here(male) that wears nail polish? I myself wear black, and really like the way it looks. It gives a little extra touch. Like when im at work, dressed little better, i feel it gives me an certain edge. Like "That dude looks like a total squere. What does he ewer do thats fun! Hey, wait a minute..HES WEARING BLACK NAIL POLISH!! Freak...."

    And i can wear nail polish, with out feeling like a woman, or a "lesser" man. What do people think?. And i would love to hear womens thoughts on the matter

  2. #2

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    I used to do orange and black at different times. I was very young then but I still did it. I don't think I would like to wear it now. I don't feel the need. I think it is more of a womanly thing to wear a nice red or pink color to compliment their attire for the day. For men though... I guess I just don't see it.

    If that works for you then keep on. It sounds like you have a very interesting way of wearing it and it make perfect sence! You have a great reason and I would consider wearing in that scenario but I am not in the scenario because I am a lifequard and no one at a fancy pants Country Club wants to see an employee with polish on. They are strange people like that. They need things to be classy and I guess I wouldn't fit the bill if I wore nail polish of any color.

    I guess I don't think I'm a square or come accross as one so I am safe for now...

    EnvYuS

  3. #3

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    You can make a statement that you're not the stereotypical macho guy without having to wear nail polish or put on make-up or partake in other such female behaviors. For instance, wear a pink dress shirt with your black suit instead of the typical white shirt. It gives that little "extra touch" without being too effeminate.

    I wear a pink polo shirt out to the bars sometimes, and I've received nothing but positive reactions from women. It demonstrates that you are confident enough in your masculinity to wear a traditionally feminine color and are courageous enough to face the potentially negative comments and reactions coming from other men.

    And I would also like to add that most straight women would be turned off by a man wearing nail polish. However, the pink shirt sends a similar message as the nail polish, only it's more subtle and is not a turn-off to women. You don't want to be too in-your-face about sending the message that you're anti-macho, because then you risk sending the wrong message--that you're homosexual or that you're trying to hard. Just my humble opinion.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Quote Originally Posted by Roman
    And I would also like to add that most straight women would be turned off by a man wearing nail polish.
    Would they? Based on what data?

    Just curious.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Yeah, I used to wear nail polish a while back. I was going through this phase where I wanted to quit chewing my nails. A female friend recommend using nail polish. She said if they looked pretty enough you'd probably wouldn't want to chew them, plus the fact that I wouldn't want Nail Polish Oil in my mouth. At the end it never worked but it was okay. I really didn't fell any different plus I don't think much people noticed. It was a really light pink, probably more like clear.

    Peace, keep up the Nail Polish thing, I think it sounds cool. Definitely adds a little funky into the boring work day. Let the ladies know you got a dark side, you never know what might happen.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    I paint my thumbnails dark blue. I think I originally did it for the transgressive value but I've been doing it now for about 12 years so I think It's mainly habit. Stragely enough I get way more compliments on it now than I did when I was younger. I think if you're in a suit and tie job it might have a bit of thumb your nose at "the man" value. I think for some people it's just icing.
    m

  7. #7

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS

    I guess I don't think I'm a square or come accross as one so I am safe for now...
    Well. i wouldnt call my self a square Meaning. I dont look like Napoleon Dynamite or anything like that. Or i dont sit at home 15 hours a day, watching star trek re runs. Dont get my wrong, im nerdy, but to balance it out. I have quite few tattoos in my arms, and im getting ready to have a ful sleeve(that means my whole arm tattooed, if anyone doesnt now :P ). I have a dark side to me, like nsamadi said. And the nail polish thing is one aspect of that. It brings a little mystery to play. Like some cool vampyre type thing And its also linked to the music a lissen, because lately i have been lissening a LOT of AFI. And they are a punk band,with romantic Tim Burton type influences, i would say.

    So im definetly going to be wearing it, as long as it isnt boring And i also would like to hear some insight to this that roman said

    And I would also like to add that most straight women would be turned off by a man wearing nail polish
    Maybe the ladies could give there side of things?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Quote Originally Posted by Roman

    I wear a pink polo shirt out to the bars sometimes, and I've received nothing but positive reactions from women. It demonstrates that you are confident enough in your masculinity to wear a traditionally feminine color and are courageous enough to face the potentially negative comments and reactions coming from other men.
    The first thing that popped to my head was. "Isnt pink trendy now?". Because all the FAB5 thing etc. So its in a way, ok to wear it. Would you have worn pink 4 years ago? Im not trying to bash you . It just seems that pink is more accepted in these days, and its natural to guys be wearing this colour. And im not trying to get women with this nail polish. Well, in some aspect, maybe im sending messages to all the women i like, the Suicide Girl type ladies , but its more a athmosphere thing.

  9. #9
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,747

    Thumbs up Re: Men and nail polish

    I get pedicures every couple of weeks

    Now put a girl wearing five-inch strappy stilletto heels with her toenails painted in front of me, and you've got my full attention
    Last edited by Scentronic; 19th August 2006 at 04:45 PM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Way back in my grundge days, I wore this color called "Vamp"-- sort of goth dark reddish black color. Nowadays, I still get my pedicures but I just have them buff my nails for me. Occasionally, I would still wear colors.:-)
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

  11. #11

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Well, if your national flag is any indication, you're from Finland? I think that it is more accepted there. When I was travelling Europe it seemed to me that there was a higher percentage of guys doing the whole "punk, grunge" thing. European countries are more open than America, I'd say. In regards to females liking it or not, I think, of course, it depends wholly on the girl. Some chicks would be all over you for it, while others wouldn't.

    Personally I'm not a nail polish kinda guy, but it's not a bad thing.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Never in a million years. Manicure and pedicure but buff shine only for me.

    Joe

  13. #13

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Ill resurect this old fellow

    Well, im still wearing it Now im liking the silver polish more. It isnt as noticable as black, and I would ewen say that its more "mature". Discreet and stil gives a nice edge. I used it at my work places christmas party and mached it whit my silver tie bar, and the boss (woman) came to me the next day and complimented that I was really stylish And some girls have said that they lookd really pretty. Some guys might get "scared" form those kinda comments, but I dont find anything bad with pretty.

    Anyone else sporting the finger painting?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    The opinion of someone over 40:

    Motto: To Buff is Enough"

  15. #15

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGator

    And I would also like to add that most straight women would be turned off by a man wearing nail polish. However, the pink shirt sends a similar message as the nail polish, only it's more subtle and is not a turn-off to women. You don't want to be too in-your-face about sending the message that you're anti-macho, because then you risk sending the wrong message--that you're homosexual or that you're trying to hard. Just my humble opinion.
    It`s better to try too hard then not to try at all IMO .Pink shirt is fine, clear nailpolish too. But,you should wear whatever you like...Good luck!
    Current top five:JPG Classique,Chanel Coco,Lolita Lempicka EDP,Armani Emporio SHE,Opium

  16. #16

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    punk in the eu yes, but grunge I haven't see much of when I was there, nor tatoos, maybe some in germany nothing like here, and almost not at all in france. and the gays are not at all up to date as of a couple of years ago anyway, with like the gay uniform these in the USA these days: baseball caps, with t-shirts on guys showing off their bodies and long sleeve t-shirts with a short sleeve shirt over it for guys hiding them, etc the whole tending towards "livin large", as Ralph Rugoff wrote, what I guess you'd call "alternative" - the post grunge 3rd-generation-homo pseudo-str8 styling that has been very much the gay urban style for the last decade really, that wasn't there yet, that I saw, as of 2004, at all. Germany in particular is very funny cause there are some real gay fashion throwbacks (as there are here as well) and then also particularly German (and British too I suppose) rigid dress codes adhered to by some of the gays there. i.e. mainly the skinhead look which suits so few of the Germans that adopt it, but is absolutely de rigeur for so many: shaved head, nylon bomber jacket, high boots and "Londsdale" logo sweatshirts. The Lonsdale logo is like a total turn on in Europe, in Germany, Berlin certainly. Here in the US nobody would get sexually excited over the Londsale logo.

    Anyway, for my taste colored nail polish is... too queer! I am not a straight woman but on most guys it turns me off. Men's hands are so different from women's it just doesn't make sense to me. And the "masculine" colors... just don't make great nail polish period. Maybe with a full arm tatoo the effect would be different. Also like nsamedi I bite my nails, which is too bad cause I do have purty hands. Lately I have been tending spontansously towards what someone pointed out to me - I hadn't seen him doing this - is the recent Karl Lagerfeld look of ring encrusted fingers. I have a long way to go though, don't own anywhere near enough rings yet, but totally am enchanted by that idea, for me, although I certainly wouldn't dress the way lagerfeld does otherwise. For three years I adhered to this manifesto "we are against beastly human haircolor" and was always using manic panic and punky color and fudge. I found it really rough going amongst the gays who largely did not accept it, and often, of course, I would get a sort of negative vibe from non gays. I sometimes go a very natural blonde for the "Sue Lyons look" blonde with dark eyebrows, but. . . haven't had the urge to go blue in awhile, but I should do it again sometime. Midnight Blue (with my roots done in a ligher blue) was sort of my signature color and sometimes people would see my gay personals online profile and write me little hateful notes about being the blue haired freak and stuff. My rule about unnatural haircolor though is that you have to keep it up. EVery two weeks at the most it's necessary to strip it all off and start over again. Which is nice cause it's an occasion to go from blue to green, or pink and orange, or up to 8 or more colors at once. I hate the washed out colored hair punky thing; non-mammalian color must be kept vibrant! The thing about such gestures is you turn off a lot of people but at least the people you attract are probably going to be the right people.
    Last edited by supermarky; 27th December 2006 at 12:39 PM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    adore wearing polish, but hate it on my toes. used to do every color - but usually stick to clear or a natural color now. gray was always my favorite.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

  18. #18

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Hmmmm, very interesting. I think the polish is more of a Euro thing. As a manicurist, I'm seeing my male clients even diverting away from clear polish in favor of buffing. I'm not sure how I'd feel if my guy wore polish. I suppose I wouldn't mind at all. In fact, it would probably be fun to see all the strange looks he'd get.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGator View Post
    You can make a statement that you're not the stereotypical macho guy without having to wear nail polish or put on make-up or partake in other such female behaviors. For instance, wear a pink dress shirt with your black suit instead of the typical white shirt. It gives that little "extra touch" without being too effeminate.

    I wear a pink polo shirt out to the bars sometimes, and I've received nothing but positive reactions from women. It demonstrates that you are confident enough in your masculinity to wear a traditionally feminine color and are courageous enough to face the potentially negative comments and reactions coming from other men.

    And I would also like to add that most straight women would be turned off by a man wearing nail polish. However, the pink shirt sends a similar message as the nail polish, only it's more subtle and is not a turn-off to women. You don't want to be too in-your-face about sending the message that you're anti-macho, because then you risk sending the wrong message--that you're homosexual or that you're trying to hard. Just my humble opinion.
    Just don't do both the pink shirt and the nail polish at the same time. Then women will really wonder!
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

  20. #20

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    First thing you do wrong ask what we think.Be a leader. There alot women that shouldn't be doing thats manly but they do.I see most of these people are not open minded. At one time guys couldn't wear short because it was not manly. Then you got long hair unmanly at one time, The ear ring same thing on men at one time unmanly. People this is just the next step. Learn to be a leader guys.
    Last edited by Ipexx; 27th October 2007 at 05:58 PM.

  21. #21
    Basenotes Plus

    kbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Big Blue Marble
    Posts
    18,397
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Umm..not I, but OK by me for others.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

  22. #22

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    I did black nail polish for the week before, and after, Halloween (I used the holiday as an excuse to test it out.)

    I received one compliment, two indifferent, and about two dozen women who were VERY turned off by it. Sometimes they would even approach me to express their disgust, "What's up with your nails??" And especially if I wore normal clothes that weren't black, they'd be like "Black nails?? The rest of you is business as usual, it doesn't fit." The worst one I got was "Are you a crossdresser now or something?"

    I suppose it could work on a macho man, but I'm way too metro to pull it off, same goes with the pink shirt too lol. If I was jacked, I would wear a pink shirt and black nails everyday

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bucharest
    Posts
    380

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Work on a macho man? Please, black nail polish and nail polish itself turns me off on men. I don't know what's worse... Men with nail polish or men that chew their nails.

    As I stated before on this forum, I'm attracted to metrosexual men and well, people that take care of themselves, but nail polish and men aren't something I like. Pink is just a color though, I don't see the big deal in men not wearing it. It sends the message that you don't fear stereotypes and you are confident with yourself. Or used to, until it became "trendy". Nail polish won't send that message.

    Black nail polish to me, doesn't send the cross-dresser message, but the message that you'll go home and hang yourself. I can't make up my mind which is worse...

  24. #24

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    No need to be rude to the poor guy, Delia. There's a difference between stating an opinion and being mean.

    Black polish requires a certain style to pull off. I associate it with goth/metal/emo types, but if guys want to try it, why not? On the way to and from work, I see enough guys in suits with facial piercings, nail polish is hardly going to make anyone bat an eyelid.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    If pink is "just" a color that men should wear if they want to, the same reasoning about defying stereotypes applies to nail polish: it's "just" a decoration that men should wear if they want to, certainly understanding that it's a little unorthodox, and not worrying so much about what other people think.

    Women who are turned off by a guy's nail polish probably aren't the kind of nonconformists he'd be happy with in the long run anyways.

    To each his or her own.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    I've never done it, but I've seen a few guys do it, especially goths. I suppose I could pull off black nail polish, but, as I have natural dark circles around my eyes and tend to wear black a lot, I'd look at best goth and at worst Addams Family, neither of which I particularly identify with. Silver and gold strike me as a bit bling-bling, if you catch my drift.Other colors... are just too female for my tastes. I know one should theoretically be able to walk around in nothing but a pink unicorn-patterned mini-skirt and be entirely masculine, but I strongly associate colored nail-polish with women. Lastly, my own hygiene paranoia comes into play: can I be 100% sure my nails are clean if they aren't transparent?
    All of that being said... I have absolutely no problems with others doing it.

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bucharest
    Posts
    380

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    I'm forward and I speak my mind and I don't consider it rude, but again, if he does that, it wasn't my intention.

    And I just expressed the way I think. And yes, men can wear it, but they must realize they'll turn off 90% of women. And again, I'm not turned off by the non-comformistic part of nail polish, but because it looks bad on a man's hand from my point of view and because it's not according to the style a man I'd look at has. Same applies to make-up on men.

    And I'd like to know what stereotype you defy when you wear nail polish as a guy.

  28. #28
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,747

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Mystery from The Pick Up Artist pulled off the black nail polish pretty well, imo. But it goes to show that you've got to have a lot more going on with your image than just the polish if its going to work.

    I do the "American" pedicure style on my toes, with a matte (not shiny) topcoat. You can't even really notice anything is there unless you're very close up. It just looks perfectly groomed and kept. I do this because I'm ridiculously particular about my feet and feet in general, and have never even tried the clear matte on my fingers. I keep my fingers well-groomed as well, but have never been interested in polish on them.

    I guess thats what you get nowadays when you cross a supposed "metrosexual" with a foot fetish.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  29. #29

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Hey Scentronic, that's why I tested out the black nails, because of Mystery haha
    Of course I'm not a goth magician, I'd like to think I'm a normal college student..

    I didn't think delia was rude, it's good to know women are so against it

  30. #30

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Quote Originally Posted by bebe_delia View Post
    Black nail polish to me, doesn't send the cross-dresser message, but the message that you'll go home and hang yourself. I can't make up my mind which is worse...
    This goth/emo/tortured soul reference is not a stereotype? Again, my sense is that the non-goth guy who is adventurous enough to wear nail polish once in a while is not going to care that apparently 90% of all women are too superficial to look past a little paint. (And as DrBubba asked earlier in this thread, 90% "based on what data?")

    Speaking only for myself and not the rest of womankind, I could see it coming across as edgy, quirky, self-assured, playful, free-spirited, and intriguing -- all qualities I find appealing.
    Last edited by tang; 6th November 2007 at 06:01 PM.
    .
    Sniff and let sniff.

  31. #31

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Quote Originally Posted by bebe_delia View Post
    I'm forward and I speak my mind and I don't consider it rude, but again, if he does that, it wasn't my intention.

    And I just expressed the way I think. And yes, men can wear it, but they must realize they'll turn off 90% of women. And again, I'm not turned off by the non-comformistic part of nail polish, but because it looks bad on a man's hand from my point of view and because it's not according to the style a man I'd look at has. Same applies to make-up on men.

    And I'd like to know what stereotype you defy when you wear nail polish as a guy.
    Just curious to know how you got your job as spokesperson for 90% of women?

    I have worn nail polish at times; black, blue, and some metallic ones. It has enjoyed some popularity among musicians at times, as has eyeliner. I don't wear either much any more, but don't rule it out in the future.

    Many women who like glam rock like this look, I know that; and in any event, 10% of the women in the world would be enough for me!

  32. #32
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,747

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    That 90% statistic doesn't really bother me, considering I only find about 1 or 2% of women attractive anyway.

    Regardless, you can figure you're going to drive away about 90% of women, no matter what you do!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  33. #33

    Wink Re: Men and nail polish

    I don't personally wear nail polish on a regular basis, although I've done it together w/ my GF in the past...

    I think color matching with the image of the actual person wearing the polish is more of an issue than whether it's right or not. It's not like the male half of the population are in the lack of nails.

    That said, I've seen a man wearing a sheer blue-ish purple shade that matched the image really well and I found it quite attractive.

    I suppose even if it's something that doesn't match your image a least bit, if you like it enough then go ahead and wear absolutely anything you like.(acrylic nails & french manicure anyone?

  34. #34

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Some years ago i painted a rough black vertical stripe down the center of each nail for a concert i attended and got a lot of positive remarks from women and straight men alike.
    In that environment, it added quirkiness and a air of 'defiance' to ones personality (these were my intentions from the outset).

    Having said this, i personally wouldnt wear it to the office.
    Theres a time and place, but if you can pull it off in an office environment, more power to ya!

  35. #35

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Theres a time and place...

    Agree. You can't go everywhere in nail polish if you're a man. If your circle is small or you're going to a special event with one type of crowd, like a concert or party, then okay.

  36. #36

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    If you want most people to like you/ not be offended then you're going to have to be generic. Otherwise: Wear it until you get tired of it or move on to something else or decide to stay with it. It's cheap, easy to remove--what's the big deal, right?
    Now about the sleeve....

  37. #37

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    I guess I can feel the glam rock aspect of it and have seen many musicians and scenesters paint their nails, but to go out on the town or something? It's just not something that I would do.

    And Scentronic is right.

    On a side note, I read somewhere that 96% of statistics are made up on the spot...

    Last edited by Nicolas V; 12th November 2007 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    You are not your perfume.

  38. #38

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Quote Originally Posted by bebe_delia View Post
    Work on a macho man? Please, black nail polish and nail polish itself turns me off on men. I don't know what's worse... Men with nail polish or men that chew their nails.

    As I stated before on this forum, I'm attracted to metrosexual men and well, people that take care of themselves, but nail polish and men aren't something I like. Pink is just a color though, I don't see the big deal in men not wearing it. It sends the message that you don't fear stereotypes and you are confident with yourself. Or used to, until it became "trendy". Nail polish won't send that message.

    Black nail polish to me, doesn't send the cross-dresser message, but the message that you'll go home and hang yourself. I can't make up my mind which is worse...
    That how I feel about women smoking and swearing. For the trendy thing. Everything started from some wear.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    If pink is "just" a color that men should wear if they want to, the same reasoning about defying stereotypes applies to nail polish: it's "just" a decoration that men should wear if they want to, certainly understanding that it's a little unorthodox, and not worrying so much about what other people think.

    Women who are turned off by a guy's nail polish probably aren't the kind of nonconformists he'd be happy with in the long run anyways.

    To each his or her own.
    Amen . Those types of women are follower and not leader. Stop doing what everyone else does.
    Last edited by Ipexx; 8th November 2007 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  39. #39

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    I've hear Italian dudes do reds and stuff. I'd be intellectually into it. However, as a brainwashed American female, I think it would skeeve me out, especially since I don't even bother with colored fingernails.
    Last edited by bernat; 10th November 2007 at 11:53 PM. Reason: qualification

  40. #40

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    I have never used nail polish...and don't plan to in the near future.
    I mean what's the point really?

    I stay most of the time underwater anyways LOL.

  41. #41

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Yup, works for me. I've been wearing nail polish on my toes ever since my g/f offered to paint them for me. I really liked a dark maroon color she was wearing and I told her such. She returned the compliment by suggesting that I try it. I'm a pretty open-minded kind of guy, so I took her up on the offer. Well, I liked it.

  42. #42

    Thumbs up Re: Men and nail polish

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGator View Post
    You can make a statement that you're not the stereotypical macho guy without having to wear nail polish or put on make-up or partake in other such female behaviors. For instance, wear a pink dress shirt with your black suit instead of the typical white shirt. It gives that little "extra touch" without being too effeminate.

    I wear a pink polo shirt out to the bars sometimes, and I've received nothing but positive reactions from women. It demonstrates that you are confident enough in your masculinity to wear a traditionally feminine color and are courageous enough to face the potentially negative comments and reactions coming from other men.

    And I would also like to add that most straight women would be turned off by a man wearing nail polish. However, the pink shirt sends a similar message as the nail polish, only it's more subtle and is not a turn-off to women. You don't want to be too in-your-face about sending the message that you're anti-macho, because then you risk sending the wrong message--that you're homosexual or that you're trying to hard. Just my humble opinion.
    I also wear pink and buff my nails as well LOL and I'm Hetero, think what you like..right.
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

  43. #43

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    I am a 12 yo boy in 7grade and i would use nail polish but i dont hav any.
    I do hav a buffing block and i use that alot but not to school usually.
    I am not a leader in this and havnt seen other boys with it, but mabe some insperation...
    oh well I can wait until this becomes the next THING at my school so now i ish wait'n...

    ...any comments? suggestions?...

  44. #44

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    I wear nail polish from time to time, and have since ninth grade. I don't dress in a particularly "alternative" way either. I think it's a feminine luxury that mean can easily pull off. Yes, everyone thoughout the day will comment on it, but they'll do that if you do ANYTHING that isn't totally boring. I love seeing nailpolish on hairy, bearded guys...like me.

  45. #45

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Well this is an old thread, but worth commenting on anyway.

    I am a 54 year old straight guy, balding, but in great shape, who loves to paint my nails. I wear clear on my fingers, but have sported everything from neons to black on my toes, and openly at that. I have had mostly positive comments from women, the only exception was a young lady who was obviously jealous because my feet looked better than hers. I get monthly pedicures, and my nail tech has taken to stocking some colors specially for me. Other guys typically do not seem to notice, or if they do just keep to themselves.

    It's no big deal. I do it because I like the way it looks, and I am secure enough to be myself.

  46. #46

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Ditto the above. I have tried OPI's matt nail treatment. It's super!

  47. #47

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Not even a little bit.

  48. #48

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Not something I've ever considered. I don't find it all that exciting on women either, esp certain colours.

  49. #49

    Cool Re: Men and nail polish

    Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    I get pedicures every couple of weeks

    Now put a girl wearing five-inch strappy stilletto heels with her toenails painted in front of me, and you've got my full attention
    True, but if I saw her approaching form the rear towards you my first thought would be " OK here's a guy that doesn't know that trouble is about to descend upon him "

    Color nail polish for men? Naw, trying too hard to be cool. Stick to your skull and crossbones extra large and heavy rings and Yakuza tattoos.

    Go subtle . . .

    Clear nail polish? Again, no--unless you happen to be a close-up sleight of hand magician. Then go for it.

    On the other hand if you play poker with bikers, Yakuzas--and women who wear 5 inch stiletto heels avoid it!.
    They might think you really are a a sleight of hand magician moonlighting as a cardshark and dealing from the bottom of the deck--with unfortunate consequences.

    BTW pink was considered by C.G. Jung the color of romance.

    I forgot where the hell Carl wrote about it but it's like this:

    Red= Passion
    White= Purity.

    Hence pink ( red+white) equals true love.

    Pax,

    Mario the Buffed.
    My Wardrobe

    Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

    Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

    My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

  50. #50

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Men with nail polish?

    no....

  51. #51
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    84,167

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    Not even a little bit.
    Same here.

  52. #52

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    I like to get regular pedicures and manicures. I would like to wear polish on my toes, but haven't decided if I want this to be public in a salon and everything.

  53. #53

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Going to revive this a little bit, but I wear nail polish. But that's because I decided to try it out one day after my best friend was all like "OMG let me paint your nails" And I was like "Okay, sure". After that It didn't look too bad and I decided to do it often. Now, I don't exactly paint my nails a Pink, or Bright Red or anything but I do paint them White, Black, Green, Silver, ect. I just like the way it works, and I suppose I'm a person that can pull it off. Although I've gotten weird looks, and compliments from both the male and female gender, and it's just one of those, do whatever you want deals. Its your life, do with it what you want. Besides..my g/f hates when I'm not wearing nail polish :P

  54. #54

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    The boys also use nail polish, I think it is very normal.

  55. #55

    Cool Re: Men and nail polish

    Ok, here are my two cents. I am a 44 year old male, twice married, with 3 children. Currently on my second marriage. Pretty normal wouldn't you say? Well yes, I would think of myself as a normal person, and I LIKE TO WEAR NAIL POLISH. I get regular pedicures and manicures. I like to wear dark colors, like cobalt blue or shiny black on my toes. For my hands, I like to wear a french manicure minus the white tips (baby pink base plus a clear top coat). Why do I do this? JUST BECAUSE I LIKE IT! Yeah, I like the way my feet look (and It's me most of the time that look at them), I like the way my nails feel when lacquer is applied, and I enjoy taking care of my hands and feet. Do I have a fetish? NO, Does that make me gay? NO, Does that make me affeminate? NO! I think nail polish is for men who have the guts to wear it not being afraid what other people think. Why the guts part? because narrow minded people do not accept it period. It shouldn't be just for rockers or vamps or the type. I happen to think that wearing a good professionally applied nail color that matches your wordrobe should be ok. At least I don't run my life taking peoples opinions or the status quo. Does my 65 year old mother like it? NO, Does my second wife approve? NO, Do my 5 and 3 year old children care? NO. Do I set a bad example to my children? NO! Totally the opposite! When my 3 year old doughtier saw my toes painted dark blue she said "daddy, your feet look very pretty!" (children always tell the truth) and when my 5 year old boy asked "Daddy, why did you paint your toes blue?" I responded, "because I like to son" end of that. So from my point of view, we can do anything we want as long as it does not offend other people, and people should respect each other. One last thing, when my 65 year old mother or my wife tell me they don't like the way it looks on me, I just respond DONT LOOK AT THEM!. Will society one day accept men wearing nail polish in public? probably not in my lifetime, that's why I didn't wait for society to accept the way I look. I JUST DO IT. Life is too short, just don't do thinks that you will regret later in life, like drugs, have unprotected sex, etc. Nail Polish? It will come come off with remover in 5 minutes.

  56. #56

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    I definitely wear it- black, dark blue, dark red, even a very dark purple. I have to say I'm laughing at a lot of these comments...trying too hard, nail polish means a guy wants to hang himself, people being skeeved out by it. I don't do it to be "counter-culture" (although I have tats too, so everyone gasp and start the trying too hard, biker, blah blah blah stereotyping nonsense now) and I simply do it because I like the way it looks. If other people don't, it isn't any skin off my nose...In my line of work I can afford to look unconventional, so it works for me.

    As for it supposedly repelling women, that doesn't concern me either, but for whatever it's worth: my female friends are generally into the whole glam rock look and find nail polish on a guy a veritable aphrodesiac. Same with eyeliner. So for all of those who think they can understand everything about a man (and really don't) simply because he wears nail polish, there are two more who will be all over him- in a good way- for it!

  57. #57
    Dependent fragranceman88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dundee, Scotland
    Posts
    2,149

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    I used it in high school - to make a statement, buy now in getting urges to wear red nail polish AND lipstick......whats wrong with me

  58. #58

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    My girlfriend paints my toes, does that count?

  59. #59

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Nail polish is for women. End of story.

    BTW just my opinion so don't get your panties I mean underwear in a bunch lol

  60. #60

    Default Re: Men and nail polish

    Same here.

Similar Threads

  1. Men and nail polish
    By Peace in forum Cosmetics & Beauty
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 19th August 2009, 10:02 PM
  2. Question for you men!Nail hardener for men?
    By carlita in forum Men's Grooming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 1st May 2007, 04:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000