Code of Conduct

Default Beard Trimmers & Facial Hair

I'm looking to pick up a quality facial hair trimmer and am hoping for a few suggestions, testimonials, or cautionary tales. I currently own a Remington trimmer with various heads but have been extremely dissatisfied with it to date. Also welcome are any tips for styling goatees and van dykes - I like to keep mine short and fine but find it difficult to do so without occasionally obliterating certain areas. Much obliged to all those who contribute.

Default Re: Beard Trimmers & Facial Hair

I use the Norelco one with the vacuum. For it's very reasonable price of $30, I must say I'm pretty satisfied. It isn't perfect though. If you are a perfectionist, you might want to get something more professional, because it's hard to get stuff "just right" with this one. I think it's nice to have one that's pretty good and then just not worry about making it perfect. I do my cheeks and neck and the very shortest setting (which is with the comb thing taken off) and then do the chin on the second setting. Depending on what I'm doing and how clean I need to look, I do this every couple of days or so. It's nice because I never need to shave and I hate shaving. The vacuum is also a nice feature, because cleaning up is for suckers. Since like I said I don't really to get it perfect, the whole process only takes me about 2-3 minutes. So to sum up, if you aren't a perfectionist get this one. If you want an exact model number I could go get it for you but I think there is only one Norelco beard/mustache trimmer with a vacuum. Hope that helps.

I much prefer using a hair trimmer compared to any "beard" trimmer I have tried. The only area that is a slight problem is the top of the mustache by the nostrils. One or two hairs might have to be clipped with a scissors. With a hair trimmers, I never have any problem with not enough power, too thick of beard, the guard not going smoothly through the hair, or uneven cuts. The adjustable lever gives you enough extra length if you need different lengths in different areas.

Stroking your goatee will make it softer. If it's rough already, I'll shave it down or use a little Aveda leave-in conditioner.
    Know your facial hair. I know it sounds stupid, but everyone has different weak spots. Some people can't grow hair by the corners of their mouth, others have scar tissue, etc.
    Use a scissors in between using a trimmers to keep your lines clean.

I just bought a great new one from Babyliss! Its wet and dry too so you can use it in the shower! It looks really cool and its rechargeable!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...s.BaByliss.htm

Wahl. Recommended by my friends in the business. I have three, a solid-small shaver (not sure why they call it small), the actually small beard and mustache rechargeable, and the rotary thing for nose and ear. Clean and oil, they should last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by radix023
    Wahl. Recommended by my friends in the business. I have three, a solid-small shaver (not sure why they call it small), the actually small beard and mustache rechargeable, and the rotary thing for nose and ear. Clean and oil, they should last forever.
    I like Wahl too. The only reason I don't buy them anymore is cause they dont make a small rechargable one. Well not that I can find!

:-/