Code of Conduct

Default single blade vs two/three/four, five...

Hello fellow Basenoters,
    Just wanted to share some thoughts about DE wet shaving vs mass prodused multy blade razors.
    I recently acquired two Gillette DE razors from the e-bay:
    1. Adjustable chrome Aristocrat and
    2. Non-adjustable DE Gillette (not sure the name/model). It is three piece one, made in England.
    Now, I shaved with both and...wait... - Yes, nothing comes even closer!
    All threads on the pros and cons of DE razors are true! They are the best. No Sensor, Mach III, Schick Quattro and the likes can be compared to the closeness, smootheness, and the overall satisfaction with the shave with DE razor. I was trying to find a perfect shave for many years and finally found one. Thanks to all basenoters and shavemyface.com for all the advice. Let me tell you, I tried them all. Electric - Braun Micro and Philishave (Philips electric shaver is the worst thing ever invented to "shave" the man's face). Cartridges-BiCs, Gillettes, Schicks of various designs and blade configuration. It just didn't do it for me. After so many years of frustration and cuts and nicks-finally almost a perfect shave. I still need more practice, but I'll tell you: try a DE wet shave and you'll never ever go back to a multi blade cartridges. I don't even want to bring up the subject of the costs-no comparison whatsoever.
    I still don't understand why we are all being bombarded with more and more so called "multiblades" when the solution to the perfect shave is so obvious-tried and trusted DE razor. However, there are some more necessities the one should allow for to complete the kit: a nice badger brush and a good quality cream/soap. After that and a little practice-total enjoyment forever.
    Cheers,
    Alex

Default Re: single blade vs two/three/four, five...

i guess i'll have to try this @.o
    what is the best DE razor?
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

Adrian,
    from what I know currently Merkur are the leaders in brand new DE category. Gillettes are still firm favourites in the second hand category as they don't make them any more. I have only used Gillettes so far and cannot fault them. Excellent razors and very good quality ones.
    Alex

Glad to hear you've joined the DE club!

Now all you need to do is give Tend Skin Air Shave Gel a try.

Bah.. it's not all about lubrication unless your face is hyper delicate

For an improved shave you want lift/loft of the hair to allow easy cutting
    Sure there should be decent lubrication... but it doesn't have to be all there
    is!

Geo F Trumper
    Violet Shave Cream

SO damn good in the morning...

Or Castle Forbes
    Lime Shave Cream (probably the most lime lime on the market)!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Hello fellow Basenoters,
    Just wanted to share some thoughts about DE wet shaving vs mass prodused multy blade razors.
    I recently acquired two Gillette DE razors from the e-bay:
    1. Adjustable chrome Aristocrat and
    2. Non-adjustable DE Gillette (not sure the name/model). It is three piece one, made in England.
    Now, I shaved with both and...wait... - Yes, nothing comes even closer!
    All threads on the pros and cons of DE razors are true! They are the best. No Sensor, Mach III, Schick Quattro and the likes can be compared to the closeness, smootheness, and the overall satisfaction with the shave with DE razor. I was trying to find a perfect shave for many years and finally found one. Thanks to all basenoters and shavemyface.com for all the advice. Let me tell you, I tried them all. Electric - Braun Micro and Philishave (Philips electric shaver is the worst thing ever invented to "shave" the man's face). Cartridges-BiCs, Gillettes, Schicks of various designs and blade configuration. It just didn't do it for me. After so many years of frustration and cuts and nicks-finally almost a perfect shave. I still need more practice, but I'll tell you: try a DE wet shave and you'll never ever go back to a multi blade cartridges. I don't even want to bring up the subject of the costs-no comparison whatsoever.
    I still don't understand why we are all being bombarded with more and more so called "multiblades" when the solution to the perfect shave is so obvious-tried and trusted DE razor. However, there are some more necessities the one should allow for to complete the kit: a nice badger brush and a *good quality cream/soap. After that and a little practice-total enjoyment forever.
    Cheers,
    Alex
    Alex,

Just wait until you shave with a straight razor!

Randy

wow, this is worth trying out.
    Sounds and looks pretty good.
    Any particular brand you guys reccommend?

Quote Originally Posted by BuyAPerfume
    wow, this is worth trying out.
    Sounds and looks pretty good.
    Any particular brand you guys reccommend?

For DE wet shaving? A few recs for someone on a budget:

Merkur HD Classic
    A 5 pack of Merkur blades
    A tube of Trumpers Shave Cream
    Saville Row Badger Brush
    For sensitive skin you could finish up the shave with Naturade Aloe Vera 80 gel.

You can always upgrade later but it wont necessarily land you a better shave.