Code of Conduct

Default this will sound strange (help please)

I have very thick under-arm hair. And lots of it.. Not only does it look funny in the summertime, but it couses my sweat to linger. I have been under the notion that without this hair... life would be better.. I have trimmed it before, but it grows back to the same length. I want to wax it. I am not afraid of the pain. I am afraid of the condition that my skin will be in afterwards. I have heard that the hair will grow back softer and thinner. this is what I want because I notice other guys' hair there is softer and thinner. Should I do it?

Mad_Hatter

Default Re: this will sound strange (help please)

I would definitely NOT wax it there. Trim it once a week, then where's the prob?

Yould could shave it like women do, but there's a good chance of irritation, plus it might seem weird if you're not dehairing the rest of your body. Irritation + sweat = bad. Without knowing what you look like, I'd say trim it down with a short guard on the clippers. Hair grows. It's just another part of body maintenance.

A cheap, battery operated Beard and Moustache trimmer will easily get most of the hair off very quickly, without the aggravation you'll get from shaving it off.
    Renato

Waxing won't make hair grow in thinner. Hair is hair, and despite the old wives tale, hair does not grow in thicker, or thinner. It stays the same.

Trim your hair. It only takes a minute. That, in addition to daily bathing, which I trust you do, will alleviate your problem.

Use an antiperspirant if you are only using a deodorant now. Your "problem" will go away by using cleanliness, trimming, and antiperspirant. I guarantee it.

Get it lasered off. I couldn't reccommend it any more! It IS painful, but you can most likely get it done for about $50 - 100 per procedure, with a maximum of about 5, depending on the extent of hair reduction you want. One or two treatments would definitely thin it out and give you the results you seem to desire. And for the price and convienience, there is no better solution!
    Last edited by Scentronic; 19th August 2006 at 03:40 PM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by AtinayBoy
    Waxing won't make hair grow in thinner. Hair is hair, and despite the old wives tale, hair does not grow in thicker, or thinner. It stays the same.
    That is not true at all when it comes to waxing. Waxing does affect the hair follicles because it is pulling them out directly from the root. If you wax the same areas regularly for many years, most hairs grow back finer, some stop growing completely.

http://www.zeotekinternational.com/i.../hair/faq.html

I can also attest to this from personal experience. I have been getting my lip and brows waxed regularly for ten years. The hair on my lip now grows in so thin and fine that I can go forever between waxes; also, for some reason it grows in very very light in color despite the fact that I am very dark. As for my eyebrows, when I go too long between waxings, it looks horrible because the hair grows back in so inconsistently. I have certain areas on my brows where the hair does not grow back at all. It would be impossible for me to ever completely go back to my natural brows because most of the hair in that area does not grow back since I've been waxing for so long. I had many fine hairs in between my brows before and now that area doesn't even need to be waxed anymore. I used to get Brazilian waxes done on a regular basis, but haven't done so in a while, but waxing definitely affected the regrowth in that area quite noticeably as well.

So, I suggest waxing--it does not hurt that bad. Granted, I've never had my underarms waxed, but considering I've had my entire bottom waxed, I think I understand what it is like to have a sensitive area waxed.