Code of Conduct

Default In need of a new moisturizer

Which one?
    I am 16 yo, quite dry skin, some oily areas, may get a little red after shaving, and may get some pimples now and then.

I am standing between Shiseido (not sure about either the emulsion or the gel), Clarins Man Moisturizer
    (either gel or balm, here too), Dermalogica's Active Moist, Biotherm's Hydra-Detox, or Niveas Sensitive Lotion.

Any opinions on which to get?

Default Re: In need of a new moisturizer

Standard speech here I guess...

Best bet is not to skip ahead right into a moisturizer...
    Better to try and clean/clear up the source and work up to a moisturizer if it's really needed

1. Good face wash (Glycolic Acid,Salicylic Acid a must)
    2. Wash at least twice (when you get up and always right before bed) a day
    3. Add an astringent/toner to your routine.. this will help with pimples, oil, and post shaving
    4. Give this a couple weeks and if.. at that time your face is still dry.. spring for a very light moisturizer

Try and go for low or no alcohol everything.. it will defintly dry your face out..

Other brands to consider:
    Baxter of California
    Anthony Logistics
    MenScience

I do all of these steps; cleansing with L'oreal purezone morning and evening, tone with Lancome Tonique Douceur/ Clinique Clarifying Lotion, and then use a moisturizer - morning and evening

For the shaving part,
    Shave in the shower or right after.
    Use very hot water and make sure your face is good and wet.
    Make sure you shave with the grain. That's mostly down except for the bottom of your neck.
    Use non-alcohol cream/gel. I just started Zirh shave gel and like it alot.
    Possibly use something to prepare your skin if it's really bad.
    Also consider a less closer shave. Some of these superclose razor can really irritate your skin. I've used some sensitive skin razors in the past. Right now, I just use Gillette CustomPlus disposables.

I've just started using Zirh Correct and Zirh Protect. So far, they seem good, but I'd hate to recommend them so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by keeg
    Which one?
    I am 16 yo, quite dry skin, some oily areas, may get a little red after shaving, and may get some pimples now and then.

I am standing between Shiseido (not sure about either the emulsion or the gel), Clarins Man Moisturizer * *
    (either gel or balm, here too), Dermalogica's Active Moist, Biotherm's Hydra-Detox, or Niveas Sensitive Lotion.

First of all, I'm so sorry I haven't answered your message. I was going to think about recommendations and then totally forgot about it.

It would help to know what you wash your face with right now. A gentle cleanser is key. Do you use anything for your pimples and is this a big concern for you?

Meanwhile I would really recommend one of Dermalogica's Travel Kits. They contain travel sizes of a complete skincare routine. The one for normal/oily skin has the Active Moist.

You asked for a recommendation for a moisturizer.

This is what to get:

Complex 15 Therapeutic Moisturizing Face Cream (lotion)

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...UY-PLST-0-SRCH

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    [quote author=keeg link=1141934420/0#0 date=1141934419]Which one?

I am standing between Shiseido (not sure about either the emulsion or the gel), Clarins Man Moisturizer

First of all, I'm so sorry I haven't answered your message. I was going to think about recommendations and then totally forgot about it.

It would help to know what you wash your face with right now. A gentle cleanser is key. Do you use anything for your pimples and is this a big concern for you?

Meanwhile I would really recommend one of Dermalogica's Travel Kits. They contain travel sizes of a complete skincare routine. The one for normal/oily skin has the Active Moist.

[/quote]

I wash my face with L'Oreal Purezone Exfoliating Wash... I know it's not gentle, but it I've tried dozens of other cleansers, which didn't do the job as well as the Purezone; totally free from acne, only a few pimples now and then.

About the shaving, I use Nivea Sensitive Shaving Gel, and Mach 3 Power..I have to shave against the grain, since a 16 y.o. beard is softer than an adult's...

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    You asked for a recommendation for a moisturizer.

This is what to get:

Complex 15 Therapeutic Moisturizing Face Cream (lotion)

I live in Norway and prefer buying it from a shop, but thanks anyway:P

Quote Originally Posted by keeg
    [quote author=MadScientist link=1141934420/0#5 date=1142000759]You asked for a recommendation for a moisturizer.

This is what to get:

Complex 15 Therapeutic Moisturizing Face Cream *(lotion)

I live in Norway and prefer buying it from a shop, but thanks anyway:P[/quote]

The link was to show you the product and let you read reviews. It is also available in various drugstores and other shops in the US. I don't know about its availability in Europe however.

Re: shaving

I would suggest you switch to a two pass shave style if you really feel the need to be ultra clean/close

Lather, shave with grain
    very hot rinse
    Lather, shave against the grain
    very hot then very cold rinse

Shaving with first will clear much of the hair leaving only a layer of stuble to tackle against the grain..
    this greatly reduces irritation and makes the whole process a lot more enjoyable.

Eventually you should look into shavebrush and old school cream.. it's been a great help to
    my face and my shave.

Quote Originally Posted by drifting
    Re: shaving

I would suggest you switch to a two pass shave style if you really feel the need to be ultra clean/close

Lather, shave with grain
    very hot rinse
    Lather, shave against the grain
    very hot then very cold rinse

Shaving with first will clear much of the hair leaving only a layer of stuble to tackle against the grain..
    this greatly reduces irritation and makes the whole process a lot more enjoyable.

Eventually you should look into shavebrush and old school cream.. it's been a great help to
    my face and my shave.
    I always shave 2-3 times with the grain first, and then 1-2 against, but I'll try the 2-step next time.

As for the moisturizer, I bought the Shiseido, since I got it for the same price as a 50ml Clarins

Thanks anyway for the help, everyone!

Mm..

you left out the first shaving with the grain in your previous comments...

5 passes is probably pushing what your face can take on a given day especially day in/day out.

I usually get by with a single DE pass most days and then if I am going out for the evening.. I'll do a reshave.
    On weekends I will do 2 to 3 DE passes right off. (DE=Double Edge)

Good luck with the new moisturizer!

I'd say your biggest problem is that your daily cleanser is also an exfoliant. I made this same mistake a while back, and it took off the healthy layers of skin leaving me dry and peely, which totally sucked. What you should do is use a gentle cleanser daily, then use an exfoliant only about twice a week. I do it every Wednesday and Sunday for some reason. Seems to work. Try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giraffe
    I'd say your biggest problem is that your daily cleanser is also an exfoliant. I made this same mistake a while back, and it took off the healthy layers of skin leaving me dry and peely, which totally sucked. What you should do is use a gentle cleanser daily, then use an exfoliant only about twice a week. I do it every Wednesday and Sunday for some reason. Seems to work. Try it out.
    Hmm..Yeah, maybe..although I've had the same problems with many other cleansers. I'll give my sample of Shiseido Purenessfurther testing, but it seems to dry me out apx as much as the exfoliating-one...

i havent had much luck with moisturizers either, so i'm not sure i'll be much help to you there. i have somewhat combination skin. i just use estee lauders idealist skin refinisher. i know it's not a moisturizer, but it has just enough moisture to balance out my skin and i find it helps a lot with redness. i even use it after i shave. it's helped me loads.

for a cleanser, i have never came across a better one that cetaphil. i know that the majority of the people in the fashion industry use it, as it's sooo gentle. so i gave it a try. it cleanses your skin, and thats it. ph balanced. your skin will feel softer. and it's very inexpensive. try it.

Best moisturizer I have used is Eucerin Redness Relief SPF 15.. with AHA. It's realllly good. It exfoliates as well. Non-com and won't give you a breakout of anything.

You're 16 years old, don't bother with the high end stuff, soap and water should perfectly work for you (and some antibacterial stuff from time to time if any pimples appear), and please use the nivea sensitive stuff, you're too young to worry about shiseido and all.

I don't get it, is that some sort of hype among teenagers or you simply fall for adveritsements *:-/, *no need to spend big bucks, IMO!

Sorry man, I was confused and I forgot to answer your question:

the best moisturizers are aloe vera and prefferably vitamin e based ones

Quote Originally Posted by Schlomo22
    Best moisturizer I have used is Eucerin Redness Relief SPF 15.. with AHA. It's realllly good. It exfoliates as well. Non-com and won't give you a breakout of anything.
    A second vote for Eucerin; but I use Skin Renewal version. I used to have horrible combination skin, grease slick oily in some spots and flaky dry in others. This is the first moisturizer I've found that actually helped restore a balance. Combined with Cetaphil it makes a great routine.