Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Default Re: What kind of razor do you use??

Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    I use a Gillette Fusion ProGlide. I have always suffered with pulling and razor burn. After switching to this razor and along with the Gillette Sensitive shaving foam - i have never had any problems and have a very comfortable shave. I used to have the notion to learn how to use a straight razor. I got it but it really wasn't for me
    I use the Fusion Pro Glide as well. Without a doubt the best razor / blade I've used...

Double-edge razor. Since I started, shaving has become an enjoyable experience, which wasn't the case with the Sensor Excel, Mach 3, or the couple of electrics I tried previously. Even if I'm feeling lazy, I always get a far better shave than I ever did with the cartridges or electrics.

I can't really speak to the money-saving nature of DE shaving though, because I've managed to acquire quite a collection of vintage razors...

Basenotes Member

I use a Feather stainless razor with Feather blades. Check out the badger and blade to learn all about shaving guys!
    Cheers,

-Nick

Mühle Sophist R44 Fusion and Mühle Sophist R44 DE in conjunction with Mühle Sophist Silvertip Badger 23 brush and bowl and then one of my 12 tubs of ShaveCreams of course current favs are Castle Forbes, Penhaligon and Fitjar ShaveCreams !!

My two sets:

Fav blades:
    Fusion
    Fusion Orig & Fusion ProGlide
    DE
    Feather (Precision) and Derby (comfort)

Use DE when I have time in the evening, Use Fusion Pro Glide blades on my Mühle R44 Fusion when busy in the morning.

Best shave is hybrid of DE and Fusion IMHO

DE for cheek & neck and Fusion for under nose, lip, chin and Adams apple
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

I use a Gillette Fusion razor, with any decent shaving gel, which I find give me a really close and clean shave. After shaving, I "clean" the blades using a "Razor Pit" which prolongs the life of the blade enormously - I really don't know how much money I've saved on replacement blades by using this gadget!

The "Razor Pit" has been spoken of previously on this forum, so check it out if you want to save money. I honestly don't have any vested interest, but I strongly recommend it.

In the UK, I got mine for around £20 from www.mankind.co.uk.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by HDD8 View Post
    I use a Gillette Fusion razor, with any decent shaving gel, which I find give me a really close and clean shave. After shaving, I "clean" the blades using a "Razor Pit" which prolongs the life of the blade enormously - I really don't know how much money I've saved on replacement blades by using this gadget!

The "Razor Pit" has been spoken of previously on this forum, so check it out if you want to save money. I honestly don't have any vested interest, but I strongly recommend it.

In the UK, I got mine for around £20 from www.mankind.co.uk.
    I also use the Razor Pit. In fact its made by a Dane, but the proclaim if 150 shaves on same blade is CRAZY EXAGGERATED !!!

I get maybe 8-10 shaves on same blade, but this is still much better than the 3-4 shaves I would normally get without razorpit in the garage
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Just switched to Wilkinson Classic DE-razor and I'm quite pleasantly surprised about the thoroughness and the decrease of razor burn

Update: as soon as I get more confident and familiar with this kind of shave, I might shave daily, not just any other day, with my DE-razor (something I did not venture to do, mainly because of razor burn, with my multi-blade system razor)

Wow Ken. I'm always amazed at how many I guys I run into that can't shave everyday. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I haven't shaved everyday in the last ten years.

I hope the new razor helps. Check out Badger and Blade for lots of tips.

I've always used some form of a Gillette disposable razor, most recently their Fusion ProGlide razors. For the past several years, I'm loving an old school badger brush + one of the traditional shaving creams from the UK e.g., Trumper, Truefitt & Hill etc.

BUT, the greatest ephiphany for me came when a few years back, a foreign friend w/ whom I was traveling, asked why I changed my blades so frequently i.e., at least once per week. I thought he was nuts to suggest otherwise - since I had always changed blades this frequently and presumed that I had to in order to achieve a close, comfortable shave.

However, I gave it a shot...and I soon realized that I can actually get insane mileage out of these higher-tech Gillette blades...I literally only use 4 or 5 blades per year max!!! It's absolutley amazing and as you can imagine, it's an equally huge savings of $$$. I have a moderatlely dense beard - I never skip a day shaving - and have yet to have any deleterious effects on the quality of my shave, ingrown hairs or any other issues...not sure everyone will have the same experience that I have had but it's definitely worth giving it a go...HTH!!!

I just turned the clock back and ordered an Edwin Jagger Georgian Imitation Ivory Safety/DE razor. I´ve also started the move to traditional shaving creams by Taylor of Old Bond Street / Truefitt & Hill and the likes.
    And I do it solely because it´s more cumbersome than using modern machines.

Quote Originally Posted by vhild View Post
    I just turned the clock back and ordered an Edwin Jagger Georgian Imitation Ivory Safety/DE razor. I´ve also started the move to traditional shaving creams by Taylor of Old Bond Street / Truefitt & Hill and the likes.
    And I do it solely because it´s more cumbersome than using modern machines.
    There's an enjoyment that comes from being able to relish and anticipate your daily shave as opposed to whipping through it as just another daily ritual. The old school razors, blades, soaps, creams and brushes make it all the more enjoyable.

Currently I use Edwin Jagger's Mach3 handle. Good shaving soaps, creams and brush are more important to me than using double edge razor. I have zero razor burn and the shave is quite good, so no need to change. Although I have to say I totally get the charm of slow and methodological DE shave and will most likely use it more in the future.

Well, it might be that I have to resort to an "ordinary" Mach3 handle on busy mornings. But you cannot have too many razors anyway

I use a Feather RG straight razor with Feather disposable razor blades.

"I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I use double-edge (DE) safety razors. I'm currently using the Muhle 2011 R41 Tooth Comb.
    - James

Mach 3!

Schick ST2 Slim Twin Disposable Razor. Works great and cheap, especially if you do the denim razor extender treatment

I use a electric shaver, a nice Braun one (5887). Whilst electric razors don't give 'as' close a shave as a normal blade, non-electric one, they're better as because of the less closer shave, they prevent/minimize cuts, ingrown hairs and razor burns/bumps which is both irritating and an eyesore.

And if using a normal blade shaver/razor, it's recommended using a single bladed one. Supposedly a single blade one offers a better shave, and as a multiple blade razor pushes the cut hair under the surface of the skin, resulting in problems such as ingrown hairs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AABCDS View Post
    I use double-edge (DE) safety razors. I'm currently using the Muhle 2011 R41 Tooth Comb.
    What do you think of it? I'm considering the purchase of one, but only if I can replace my Merkur 12C with it.
    Last edited by 6of1; 23rd November 2011 at 02:40 AM.
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.

Quote Originally Posted by 6of1 View Post
    What do you think of it? I'm considering the purchase of one, but only if it can replace my Merkur 12C with it.
    I also own it along with the more forgiving Mühle Sophist DE razor (equivalent head wise to the more forgiving brother of the R41 called Mühle R89)

The R41 open tooth comb is also called a rake because it leaves trails of shaving soap/cream on your skin as you shave, sort of like a rake would do on a lawn

Mind you I'm still a DE rookie, started DE shaving in late August, but would add the R41 to my shaving den for the days where I have heavy 4-5-6 days beard growth. The R41 is excellent for this as it really shave closer to the skin, but it's not as forgiving as its brother, the R 89.

R41 gives me really close shaves and I think I'll wait another couple of months before it will be part of my daily routine to use it and it's not for early morning shaves at 05.30 AM where you're in a hurry.
    It needs attention or I'll cut myself with it. A more skilled DE shaver should have no problems with this, as long as you stay focussed during the shave.

Look up R41 + rake + geofatboy on YouTube and you'll see a video of the skilled geofatboy DE shaver using the R41 in his video review of it. Of course he sells it, so he HAS to give it a rave review

But the Mühle R41 Tooth Comb is really an awesome DE razor, as are most of the Mühle/Edwin Jagger DE razors, if not all of them

And no, I'm not a Mühle reseller either - I just like high quality razors !!

I have it with this space saving excellent looking stand:
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Thanks, CHSeifert, that's what I needed to know. I own an R89 as well as two Edwin Jagger razors with the same design. I'm looking for something more aggressive and, from what I've read, the new R41 should do the job.

That stand is great!
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.

Quote Originally Posted by 6of1 View Post
    Thanks, CHSeifert, that's what I needed to know. I own an R89 as well as two Edwin Jagger razors with the same design. I'm looking for something more aggressive and, from what I've read, the new R41 should do the job.

That stand is great!
    Then the R41 is EXACTLY what you want !!

Try it with a more conservative blade like Derby or Gilette 7 O'clock first, then try it with the sharper Feather blade. See what you prefer.

Mühle R41 + a Feather blade = sharp shave, just the step before a straight razor shave IMHO
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

I use Gillette shaving foam and fusion blades that I got from Costco. I do however feel like that after every shave, I get tiny (boils) I don't know how else to explain, its like heat boils but smaller. Am I describing it right? Alsop how to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
    I use Gillette shaving foam and fusion blades that I got from Costco. I do however feel like that after every shave, I get tiny (boils) I don't know how else to explain, its like heat boils but smaller. Am I describing it right? Alsop how to avoid it.
    You should give a good quality DE razor a try - Edwin Jagger, Mühle or Merkur are among the best DE razors on the Market.
    Then get a medium sharp razor blade (Derby or Wilkinson or Gilette 7'O Clock for instance) to start out with and experiment based on that.....

DE shaving is all about bears reduction in 2 or 3 passes and will most likely be the cure against bumps, boils and razor burn once you get dialed in on your preferred razor, blade and brush. Then you have to decide whether shave cream or soap is for you.

You need patience, but after some initial hard work it usually pays off after the first 3-4 months and you will regret the rest of your shaving life why you didn't start using DE and brush at an earlier stage
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

^ Sounds like a classic case of shaving burn, sid369 - AKA Pseudofolliculitis barbae .

How you decide to treat it / avoid it in future is a very personal matter: I'd recommend you consider moving away from canned shaving foams as these offer notoriously poor lubrication and often irritate the skin with all sorts of petroleum based chemicals. Ideally, you could look into making your own shaving lather using a tradition soap or cream and a brush. You might also wish to learn to shave with a single-bladed razor (perhaps a double-edge razor): The fewer the blades, the fewer passes you are making over the skin, and the less the chance of causing irritation.

If you don't fancy going down the 'traditional wet-shaving' route, you could try using an after-shave balm that is specifically formulated to calm the skin and reduce redness / irritation. Definately avoid any products that contain alcohol, as these will only aggravate the problem.

Good preparation before shaving is also key: Make sure you hold a hot flanel to your face before shaving for a good 2 minutes. This will soften your bristles making them easier to cut. This means you don't need to apply such pressure to the razor, which is also a common cause of shaving rash.

After having used DE Wilkinson / Derby blades for a month now, I can testify that "DE safety razors - The best a man can get!"

Gillette Aristocrat or Gillette Fatboy with feather blades. Occasionally I bust out the old Gem razor.

I was tired of buying those hi tech mach 3 or whatever the newest blades are since they are soooo expensive. I made the switch to DE wet shaving and never looked back. Instead of shaving being a chore, I look forward and enjoy the experience. I also save money.

Merkur 34c for me too. I love it. I always shave with a brush and proper soap. I also use a Wilkinson Hydro 5 for when I don't have a lot of time, but I still use brush and soap every time! (Currently using Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Soap Lavender! Awesome!)

Edwin Jagger DE Razor Lined Chrome Plated DE89L

Quote Originally Posted by sacredsystem View Post
    Edwin Jagger DE Razor Lined Chrome Plated DE89L
    Got that one too recently.