Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: What kind of razor do you use??

Gentlemen, count me in as an additional, albeit still very budding, inexperienced, bumbling and novice member of the traditional wetshave aficionados (since half a year or so, I never ceased loving DE shave).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Gentlemen, count me in as an additional, albeit still very budding, inexperienced, bumbling and novice member of the traditional wetshave aficionados (since half a year or so, I never ceased loving DE shave).
    Half a year - that makes you six times more experienced than me.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I now have 5 razors, 1 Gillette Fusion Power, 1 Mühle Sophist Fusion Black Resin and then 3 DE razors:

Mühle Sophist Black Resin:

IMG_0626.JPG

Feather AS-1 DE with stand:

IMG_0770.jpg

Mühle R41 Grande with stand:
    IMG_0521.JPG
    Last edited by CHSeifert; 31st May 2012 at 04:31 AM.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 bottles in my collection

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    I now have ...................3 DE razors:
    No you do not. You possess three works of art!

They look fabulous.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    No you do not. You possess three works of art!

They look fabulous.
    Regards,
    Renato
    While thank you Renato

They also shave well with the right blade installed of course.....

Quite a few don't know that you can alter the way a razor shaves by changing to another brand blade !
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

While thank you Renato

They also shave well with the right blade installed of course.....

Quite a few don't know that you can alter the way a razor shaves by changing to another brand blade !
    The obvious question - for each of your razors, which is its best blade, and which is fairly sub average in it?

Regards,
    Renato

The obvious question - for each of your razors, which is its best blade, and which is fairly sub average in it?

Regards,
    Renato
    For my skin & beard:

Mühle Sophist R44(R89) : Here I prefer Astra Superior Platinum followed by Feather HI Superior Platinum
    Mühle R41 Grande: Here I prefer Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue Super Platinum followed by Astra Superior Platinum
    Feather AS-1 DE: Here I prefer Feather HI Superior Platinum. Have only used this blade because the blade and razor was designed for each other and that just works well.

YMMV of course and most likely will !
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

For my skin & beard:

Mühle Sophist R44(R89) : Here I prefer Astra Superior Platinum followed by Feather HI Superior Platinum
    Mühle R41 Grande: Here I prefer Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue Super Platinum followed by Astra Superior Platinum
    Feather AS-1 DE: Here I prefer Feather HI Superior Platinum. Have only used this blade because the blade and razor was designed for each other and that just works well.

YMMV of course and most likely will !
    Thanks for the info.
    Regards,
    Renato

Gillete. Nothing crazy. You can get them at Costco. But I can't grow much anyways so blades last longer and my wallet doesn't hurt so bad after. lol

Gillette Mach 3 / Fusion, both work about the same for me.

Is there any benefit for someone who doesn't grow a substantial amount or thick facial hair to use a DE razor? I've been curious but never was sure if there was a point, since the safety razors seem to work fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanCoyote View Post
    Gillette Mach 3 / Fusion, both work about the same for me.

Is there any benefit for someone who doesn't grow a substantial amount or thick facial hair to use a DE razor? I've been curious but never was sure if there was a point, since the safety razors seem to work fine for me.
    The only benefits I can see would be lower cost in buying blades versus buying the more expensive cartridges, and for variety in your shaving experience. The cost of cartridges is mitigated somewhat by buying the cheaper generic ones that supermarkets sell, or by using the Razorpit to prolong the cartridge's life. On the downside, you'd probably have to check a Youtube video on how to shave with a DE razor - main points being that you shouldn't press into the skin, and that you shouldn't use your hand to move the razor around your face, but rather to keep your hand fixed and move your arm only. (of course, I'm one of the odd ones out over at the Blade & Badger site, as I like both blades and cartridges).

Many people claim they get less irritation from using DE blades versus cartridges. Again I'm the odd one, I find Fusion cartridges far less likely to irritate than blades, but on the other hand in the past I was equally irritated by Mach 3 and DE blades. But then again, one of my friends couldn't stand Fusion but loved Mach3. Which I guess means that the only way to know for certain is to give it a go.

If you do want to inexpensively test out DE shaving and don't have a razor, I'd recommend checking Ebay for a Lord LP1822L (aka L6) Merkur head type razor, which often comes with 10 blades. Cost is around $16, which is on par with a 4 pack of cartridges. It's a pretty gentle razor, and many are fond of it over at Blade & Badger, and I like it too.

Regards,
    Renato

What do you guys look into razors?

Brand?
    Weight?
    Style?

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    What do you guys look into razors?

Brand?
    Weight?
    Style?
    Aggressiveness of the razor and blade.

I love to shave with my Mühle Sophist Fusion razor when I have 4+ days beard growth. Nothing beats it. I get 100% perfect shave and no irritation. However with shorter stubbles, I tend to get ingrown hair when using Fusion cartridges so I then use one of my 3 DE razors. I have bought then all for different lengths of my stubble.

Feather DE I great for 1 days growth. It's EXTREMELY mild and gentle. It sucks for 2+ days stubble.

Mühle Sophist R106 (=R89) is my in between DE razor. Forgiving and medium mild. Good for 2-3 days beard growth.

Mühle R41 Grande is a highly aggressive DE razor. I use that for 3-4-5 days growth.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

@UrbanCoyote:

I started shaving with cartridges in the seventies and have used Mach 3 since they came on the market. I changed to DE razors quite late, at the age of 50, and I never looked back (except that I keep the Mach 3 for airtravel with hand luggage only).

The advantages I experienced are primarily freedom of choice, value for money (i.e. not beeing ripped off), a much more pleasant shaving experience over all and a BBS that is still good enough in the afternoon.

As always, freedom comes with a price: You should be willing to invest some time in acquiring knowledge and basic technique (the essential advantage of cartridges is that they don't require any special technique). As even the very best DE blades are ridiculously cheap compared to cartridges, you can save a lot of money over time - but be aware of the imminent danger of RAD (razor acquisition disorder): Many of us spend much more than necessary on new razors and brushes - even though one of each does the trick perfectly. A well made razor will easily serve your great-grandson as well as you (if they still make DE blades, that is) and a well kept brush will last many, many years.

Even if you stay with your Mach 3 (as long as they make them), I would strongly advise you to test a real shaving soap with a brush. There is a road map for the aspiring wet shaver at
    http://www.bruceonshaving.com/2011/0...de-a-road-map/
    Even if you just take the first step, I am sure that exchanging canned goo for a real soap like the phantastic, cheap and convenient Palmolive stick will enhance the quality of your shave considerably (and save you money).

If you want to know the essentials in concentrated form, you may consider reading leisureguy's book http://www.amazon.com/Leisureguys-Gu.../dp/1463595344
    Last edited by Kyujin; 27th May 2012 at 10:34 PM.

@Oupavoc:

The brand may give you a hint of what quality to expect, but isn't too interesting for me.

Style? Form follows function, and I like the esthetics of well designed tools. Ornamental stuff isn't for me.

Weight is good (less so for travelling, perhaps), but I don't make that a prerequisite.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyujin View Post
    ...............- but be aware of the imminent danger of RAD (razor acquisition disorder): Many of us spend much more than necessary on new razors and brushes - even though one of each does the trick perfectly. A well made razor will easily serve your great-grandson as well as you (if they still make DE blades, that is) and a well kept brush will last many, many years.
    Talking of RAD - my Weber DLC razor should be arriving any day now.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Not RAD, it was a gift: I just tested the Wilkinson DE razor for the first time (with an Astra Superior Platinum blade). It is a very gentle razor, not quite as thorough as the Weber ARC, but phantastic value for money. A perfect travel razor, lightweight and cheap enough to risk loosing it without big regrets. Likewise , if you just want to test wet shaving with a DE razor, this will give you an easy start for just a few dollars. Look at http://www.bruceonshaving.com/2010/1...ssic-de-razor/ for pictures, there is also information on how to buy it from the US, as Wilkinson doesn't officially sell it there.
    Last edited by Kyujin; 28th May 2012 at 01:08 PM.

Not RAD, it was a gift: I just tested the Wilkinson DE razor for the first time (with an Astra Superior Platinum blade). It is a very gentle razor, not quite as thorough as the Weber ARC, but phantastic value for money. A perfect travel razor, lightweight and cheap enough to risk loosing it without big regrets. Likewise , if you just want to test wet shaving with a DE razor, this will give you an easy start for just a few dollars. Look at http://www.bruceonshaving.com/2010/1...ssic-de-razor/ for pictures, there is also information on how to buy it from the US, as Wilkinson doesn't officially sell it there.
    Thanks. Well, I had just blind bought Gillette's latest offering - the very inexpensive 7 O'clock Super Platinum Razor -
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110666592...84.m1497.l2649

so I figured if you and Bruce like Wilkinson Sword's latest offering, it would be fun comparing the two. Thus I've just ordered it also.

I've also ordered a couple of $4 (including postage) DE razors from China. There are quite a few listed on Ebay, but some looked a bit rough, or not quite thick enough in parts of the head. So I narrowed my selection to the two that looked best.

The problem with all these razors I've gotten is that I have to use the same cream and blade type in order to do a controlled comparison.
    Cheers,
    Renato

All four models look great and I am pretty certain any of them may bring joy as a present - I might know it, since my old man is incidentally also a DE-shaving enthusiast, complete with natural bristles brushes and traditional shaving cream.

Interesting recommendations. I have the Merkur 23C which has the same head as the 34C and 33C. I don't know which head the 38C has, and haven't tried the Jagger.

Personally, for that amount of money, I'd rather buy several razors - I bought three Merkurs for less than that amount on Ebay (and a $10 badger brush from Chine that looks and feels almost exactly the same as my $50 Jagger brush). As an instant semi-expert (i.e. semi -novice) I now realise that I'd have a hard time recommending anything relatively expensive to anyone. A month ago, using my Wilkinson Sword blade that I was running through my razors, the Merkur 23C would have been my favourite. But after I put my Gillette Super Thin blades into all my razors, I actually like the 23C copy razor - the Egyptian Lord 1822L (aka L6) Merkur head type razor - better than the actual 23C, and I like the Gillette 1956 Tech razor even more.

After I get more blades in the mail and try them, I have no idea which razor I will like better. The other issue is that I and others may be mainly fans of relatively non aggressive razors, and you may well like them too, or you may find them annoying and prefer the more aggressive ones that I'm not as fond of e.g the Merkur Bakelite.

Anyhow, they're nice stands. If you go for one of them, and do try other razors, it will be interesting see which razor eventually takes pride of place in that stand.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 31st May 2012 at 07:25 AM.

I think I'll get my old man the Merkur HD 34C. Very good razor and I've been meaning to get that for myself actually. But I think I'll give the Merkur Futur a try

My Feather Artist RG straight razor

"I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Weber seems to produce fewer razors than they can sell and they are often sold out. They seem to produce alternating batches of ARC and DLC heads. I had to wait a while before I could place my order. (The Mergress is worse in that respect, though.)

I wouldn't rate the ARC as aggressive at all, it feels quite mild to me. I have sensitive skin and a tough beard, so I tend to prefer mild razors with sharp blades.
    My Weber DLC arrived in the mail today, just after I shaved. I really like the feel of the chunky handle.

Blade &Badger says its blade gap is 24 thousandths of an inch, but I measure it at 21 - which should indeed make it mild.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    My Feather Artist RG straight razor

Very nice picture, Sir

I also own the AOS Sandalwood cream - nice fresh earthy take on sandalwood. Great cream.
    Rive Gauche is a favorite of mine 2 , just bought 3 backup 125 ml EDT bottles of it since it has been reformulated this year....
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

When I'm too lazy to strop one of my straights... (Which has been pretty often lately.)

Merkur 39C Slanthammer
    Mark K

Mesa/Markstar awesome pic

Guys recommend me a good shaving soap or cream.

EDIT: maybe a Rive Gauche smell/vibe
    Last edited by Oupavoc; 5th June 2012 at 10:29 PM.

I've now tried about a dozen shaving soaps and creams. People talk about their glide and cushioning - and I haven't quite fathomed cushioning, which is often associated with tallow based soap and soap sticks (not creams though).

My favourite creams so far in order of slippiriness and how they glide are,
    Trumpers shaving cream - I use Sandalwood, but they're all the same I think, it was first recommended to me here a decade ago.

Crabtree& Evelyn Nomad - almost as good as Trumpers, weird scent though.

Erasmic - almost as good as Nomad, unusual scent though.

Other creams that I've tried haven't been as good, but with the application of a little olive oil on the face before applying the cream and brushing it in, the incidence of nicks and abrasion were greatly reduced. Maybe this is what cushioning is about. However, applying the olive oil with Trumpers reduces its glide, and it acts like a cheap cream with olive oil acts.

No soap I've tried - like Truefitt & Hill, Tabac, Erasmic soap stick are as slippery as Trumpers. However, I'm very fond of the Erasmic and La Toja soap sticks.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 6th June 2012 at 05:30 AM.

So theres nothing out there that smell like a barbershop?

Thank you!

Take a look at italianbarber.com, he is based in Canada and carries many fantastic wet-shaving products. I would also highly recommend his own, in-house brand, RazoRock. First rate product at very affordable prices.
    Mark K

Rive Gauche you say? Then Barbasol duh! J/k. I find that the Art of Shaving sandalwood lathers the best of any cream I've tried. I also have Proraso and some Taylor of Old Bond street creams and they're good. Honestly, the best shave soap I've ever used is the kind you can buy at Walmart or Walgreens. It's by Van Der Hagen. It lathers nicely and the blade just glides over your skin. Can't help with a Rive Gauche smelling one, but those listed above are nice. If it's just barbershop scent you want, then the sandalwood Art of Shaving or Taylor of Old Bond (no 9?) street' sandalwood or Mr. Taylor will do nicely).
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Wow thanks guys for the info. I'll look into a few and see which I like best. Ordered a Merkur 34C set for my old man, and I'm eying the Merkur Future for myself

Quote Originally Posted by MarkStar View Post
    Thank you!

Take a look at italianbarber.com, he is based in Canada and carries many fantastic wet-shaving products. I would also highly recommend his own, in-house brand, RazoRock. First rate product at very affordable prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Rive Gauche you say? Then Barbasol duh! J/k. I find that the Art of Shaving sandalwood lathers the best of any cream I've tried. I also have Proraso and some Taylor of Old Bond street creams and they're good. Honestly, the best shave soap I've ever used is the kind you can buy at Walmart or Walgreens. It's by Van Der Hagen. It lathers nicely and the blade just glides over your skin. Can't help with a Rive Gauche smelling one, but those listed above are nice. If it's just barbershop scent you want, then the sandalwood Art of Shaving or Taylor of Old Bond (no 9?) street' sandalwood or Mr. Taylor will do nicely).

My Shave gear. Although I must admitt, the safety razor is getting 99% of my attention nowadays.

IMGP2607.jpg

Oupavoc,

Where did you get Le Canadien?

I use one of the exact razor as a member here, but also have a few more. Got a safety razor which I use most, Straight Blade and a Gillette when I'm on the go.

Quote Originally Posted by lasta View Post
    Oupavoc,

Where did you get Le Canadien?
    Got it from rasagepoulin.com

'68 Gillette Slim, although I've got my eye on the Muhle R89 these days.

Just a couple more of my old SOTD (Shave Of The Day) shots that I have posted over at Badger&Blade...

Mark K

Today's SOTD...

Mark K

Those are some pretty neat shots !

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Those are some pretty neat shots !
    Thank you kindly!
    Mark K

It's mostly double-edge razors for me, but I also use single-edge ones and injectors. I also have some straight razors, but I don't use those very often.

But whatever kind of razor you prefer, good prep with efficient hydration, and a good shaving soap or cream, should make a big improvement.
    Alan

I use a Schick Hydro because it rocks. I thoroughly dry the blades and apply mineral oil and each cartridge lasts me a VERY long time.

I almost went on a straight razor buying spree about six years ago, but then decided against it because I've got too damn many hobbies already.
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

Quote Originally Posted by Smells_Familiar View Post
    I use a Schick Hydro because it rocks.
    I keep scratching my head over how gooey Schick Hydro is. I've tried it a couple of times recently, and it was a total surprise to me how it worked.

Interesting your method for extending the cartridge life.
    Regards,
    Renato

I always used Mach 3 and Gillette gel, and I hated the shaving experience.

After I got sick of buying $20 pack of blades that lasted kissing time, I bought an electric beard trimmer and cultivated a permanent stubble look for awhile... Unfortunately, my facial hair is thin and patchy in the best of times. I'd grow a beard but my genetics just won't co-operate.

Just recently, I got an itch to try and "reclaim" shaving. I picked up a tub of Pro Raso Green and an Omega boar bristle brush at the drug store. Using my last few Mach 3 cartridges, I had a series of extremely pleasant shaves. The ritual and the tactile sensations of handling the shave soap and brush were enough to sell me on wet shaving. (That menthol/eucalyptus brought me back to the barbershop of my childhood, too!)

I'm going to go the DE route: Merkur HD 34C with some blade sampler packs, and a Vulfix 660S Medium Super Badger Shaving Brush. My first three shave soaps are going to be Tabac, Mitchell's Wool Fat, and Art of Shaving Sandalwood...

I don't have proof that it will be a better shave, it will definitely not be cheaper (as long as I splurge on soaps and equipment) and I may cut/irritate myself quite badly for a while - but it's going to be a lot more fun!

Yeah the first few time its going to happen no matter what. But then your skin get used to it and you will get a closer shave and your technique will improve.

I look forward to making a little hobby out of it... I know that in the long run, it will be a worthwhile investment.

Quote Originally Posted by delamain View Post
    ........... and I may cut/irritate myself quite badly for a while - but it's going to be a lot more fun!
    Irritate quite possibly, nicks - expect a few, but cuts would be pretty rare.

Just make sure you have stuff handy for them, be it an alum block (including the cheaper under-arm deodorant ammonium alum version), witch hazel or something else like a good balm or Mennen Skin Bracer.
    Regards,
    Renato

Default Today's Shave

Merkur 39C "Slanthammer"
    Omega 21047 (Badger/Boar Mixed Brush)
    RazoRock Cacao Shave Soap
    Givenchy Pi Aftershave
    Givenchy Pi EDT

Mark K

Default Re: Today's Shave

[center]Merkur 39C "Slanthammer"
    Omega 21047 (Badger/Boar Mixed Brush)
    RazoRock Cacao Shave Soap
    Givenchy Pi Aftershave
    Givenchy Pi EDT
    Hmmm - I'm awaiting delivery of my 37C Slant.
    Now that I see the picture of your slant, I'm wondering if it was such a good idea.
    How do you find it?
    Regards,
    Renato

Hmmm - I'm awaiting delivery of my 37C Slant.
    Now that I see the picture of your slant, I'm wondering if it was such a good idea.
    How do you find it?
    Regards,
    Renato
    Other than my straights, I have probably 6 or 8 DEs. I have been wet-shaving for many years...

Of my top 3 DEs, a Gillette Bostonian (open comb), a Merkur Futur, and the Slant (I have several), the 39C Slant is the one I use regularly. It is a fantastic shaver.
    Mark K

Other than my straights, I have probably 6 or 8 DEs. I have been wet-shaving for many years...

Of my top 3 DEs, a Gillette Bostonian (open comb), a Merkur Futur, and the Slant (I have several), the 39C Slant is the one I use regularly. It is a fantastic shaver.
    Thanks. That's reassuring.
    Regards,
    Renato

First, I want to say you guys rock. There's lots of sexy metal featured in these pages and I totally respect the charm and brilliance of "old world" shaving tools/styles. Just don't have time right now.

I keep scratching my head over how gooey Schick Hydro is. I've tried it a couple of times recently, and it was a total surprise to me how it worked.

Interesting your method for extending the cartridge life.
    Regards,
    Renato
    It is quite gooey/slick, but it works well. Anyway, the gooey-ness is used up long before my blade is.

Keeping your shaving blade dry and protected from oxygen is the best thing to help it stay sharp as long as possible. If I was using a straight it wouldn't be as big of a cost concern; just strop it or sharpen it and the edge is back. Me, using expensive blade cartridges, I make sure they're dry and protected from oxygen with a coat of mineral oil between shaves.

I love the idea of using straights. I've got all the tools to maintain them: Japanese water stones, strops, and abrasives....I just don't have the time. I already hand sharpen all of my cutlery (handmade Japanese) and try to "properly cook" as much as possible. I'm a single dad= very little free time. I envy you. Someday...
    Last edited by Smells_Familiar; 27th June 2012 at 07:28 AM.
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

Quote Originally Posted by Smells_Familiar View Post

It is quite gooey/slick, but it works well. Anyway, the gooey-ness is used up long before my blade is.

Keeping your shaving blade dry and protected from oxygen is the best thing to help it stay sharp as long as possible. If I was using a straight it wouldn't be as big of a cost concern; just strop it or sharpen it and the edge is back. Me, using expensive blade cartridges, I make sure they're dry and protected from oxygen with a coat of mineral oil between shaves.

I love the idea of using straights. I've got all the tools to maintain them: Japanese water stones, strops, and abrasives....I just don't have the time. I already hand sharpen all of my cutlery (handmade Japanese) and try to "properly cook" as much as possible. I'm a single dad= very little free time. I envy you. Someday...
    Thanks for that information. I notice that the Razorpit instructions say to always let blades dry facing upwards - probably for the reason that you give.

I did ty using Sanguine shavettes when I got the straight razor urge, but found it extremely difficult - the nicks and cuts I got from safety razors paled into insignificance relative to shavette cuts. I've put the shavettes in abeyance for a while. And "Sanguine" is a real brand name, not a joke name.
    Cheers,
    Renato

...And "Sanguine" is a real brand name, not a joke name.
    Well, at least they're honest about it !

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Well, at least they're honest about it !
    This is one product that really delivers!!!
    I wish it delivered a bit less than what the name suggests.

I suspect straight razors wouldn't be as tricky as shavettes. A lot of cuts come not just from the edge of the blade, but from the corners of the blade.
    Regards,
    Renato

Merkur HD

I suspect straight razors wouldn't be as tricky as shavettes. A lot of cuts come not just from the edge of the blade, but from the corners of the blade.
    Very much correct. Also, the blades used in a shavette are considerably sharper than any straight razor.
    Mark K

Very much correct. Also, the blades used in a shavette are considerably sharper than any straight razor.
    Thanks for that. Even when I tried using a blade that I'd used 12 times for normal DE shaving in a shavette - it turned out to still be ultra sharp.

Any idea how blunt a blade should be to equal a typical straight razor's edge?
    Regards,
    Renato

Any idea how blunt a blade should be to equal a typical straight razor's edge?
    A straight can get as sharp as you can get it essentially. There are guys out there that can get it just as sharp as a DE blade, but they have tons of straights under their belt. A DE is just going to have a raw sharpness to it, while with a straight it is possible to get the same edge without the rawness. The strop essentially polishes the blade out to make it comfortable. With a DE there is no option for that. I think straights are the way to go, but there is a big learning curve and it will take you a good while to get a good shave. If you don't have the time or dedication DE is the next best thing IMHO.

With trepidation, I used the Merkur 37C slant today.

I need not have worried - despite the wicked look, it felt pretty much like my Merkur 33C - though I seemed to be doing rapid shaving with it for some reason.
    Regards,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jordanm View Post
    A straight can get as sharp as you can get it essentially. There are guys out there that can get it just as sharp as a DE blade, but they have tons of straights under their belt. A DE is just going to have a raw sharpness to it, while with a straight it is possible to get the same edge without the rawness. The strop essentially polishes the blade out to make it comfortable. With a DE there is no option for that. I think straights are the way to go, but there is a big learning curve and it will take you a good while to get a good shave. If you don't have the time or dedication DE is the next best thing IMHO.
    Thanks for that information.
    I wonder if it's possible to strop a half DE blade in a shavette and make it more comfortable?
    It's something I might test out one day, when I get over my current aversion to my shavette.
    Regards,
    Renato

P.S. This is really odd.
    I've replied to the both of you separately by pressing "Reply with Quote" for each of you, but the system has joined both my responses into the same box.
    Last edited by Renato; 29th June 2012 at 08:46 PM.