Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: What kind of razor do you use??

+1 for the Merkur 34c HD. After years of flymo razors - King of Shaves, Gillette etc - I'm a fully fledged DE convert. I do get a closer and smoother shave with fewer passes, blades are pennies, and I really enjoy the cream, lather, brush routine.

Edit: And almost a year later, I have a Gillette Aristocrat Junior, New, Old Type, Slim Adjustable, Tech, a Weber Polished as well as my Merkur 34c!
    Last edited by lessthanthree; 25th November 2012 at 11:18 AM.

Cool Re: What kind of razor do you use??

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    When one does not have a seven-day set of straight blades, nor the leisure to shave in a meticulous fashion--nor have a valet to strop and oil the blades, the best thing is the trusty Mach 3.

This is used, of course, with a tub of Trufitt and Hill shaving cream.

*Gasp!" This is HERESY!

I agree.

Yes, I have an el cheapo Feather Double-Edge Razor which I occasionally use when I'm not in a hurry.
    Hurry? Make that a most tranquil, languid mood-- preferably with a Bach violin concerto playing in the background.

But a great tub of cream and Mach 3 does it just as well or better- and I don't have to worry about 'my shaving technique.'
    Otherwise what I save by not buying any modern blades and going with DE is spent on styptic pencils, witch hazel, first aid antibiotic ointments, adhesive band-aids,, etc.

Yes, I do have both a badger and a boar brush. The latter for soap--or whenever I feel aggressive.

For the straight razor crowd, I admire you (honestly)

And if you are super rich enough to have a valet-- but cannot boast of an ancestral home, not to worry.

Just set up a 'barbershop' in your mansion a la Dodge City 1880's, carry a six shooter and tell him you won't use it --Unless he nicks you.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Blog Entries

Norelco rechargeable with built-in Nivea shave balm cartridges or cheap, plastic razor with Kiss My Face Moisture Shave.
    Have sensitive skin and really need to find a better way.

Quote Originally Posted by sacredsystem View Post
    Edwin Jagger DE Razor Lined Chrome Plated DE89L
    I just got one of these too, but found I didn't get such a great shave with it. Might try it with Feather blades before making a final conclusion though.
    By the way, saving money, as the original poster said, will not happen since once you start enjoying shaving, it becomes as ever addictive as perfumes are! :-) New creams, soaps, razors, blades, bowls, stands - you name it!

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I use the Fusion Pro Glide as well. Without a doubt the best razor / blade I've used...
    Likewise. And to deal with the post-shave, I've always been a big fan of Lab Series Razor Burn Relief Ultra...it takes the sting out quickly and leaves the skin soft and moisturized. Hate to sound like a commercial for Lab Series, but it's true...the stuff really works.

I use Gillette Sensor Excel, in my opinion the best ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    *Gasp!" This is HERESY!

I agree.

Yes, I have an el cheapo Feather Double-Edge Razor which I occasionally use when I'm not in a hurry.
    Hurry? Make that a most tranquil, languid mood-- preferably with a Bach violin concerto playing in the background.

But a great tub of cream and Mach 3 does it just as well or better- and I don't have to worry about 'my shaving technique.'
    Otherwise what I save by not buying any modern blades and going with DE is spent on styptic pencils, witch hazel, first aid antibiotic ointments, adhesive band-aids,, etc.

Yes, I do have both a badger and a boar brush. The latter for soap--or whenever I feel aggressive.

For the straight razor crowd, I admire you (honestly)

And if you are super rich enough to have a valet-- but cannot boast of an ancestral home, not to worry.

Just set up a 'barbershop' in your mansion a la Dodge City 1880's, carry a six shooter and tell him you won't use it --Unless he nicks you.

Cheers,

Mario
    In all honesty I have to agree with you.
    A high quality ShaveCream, good prep before the shave - and most if not 98/100 could easily continue using the Mach3 or Fusion and get great, long lasting wonderful shaves day in, day out.

This coming from me, a rookie 6 month DE shaver with a Mühle Sophist 89 DE and a Feather AS-D1 DE

I still use my Mühle Sophist Fusion 3-4 times a week, because it's faster and FAR better for 1 pass shaves, when I only have 10 minutes total in the morning for my entire shave.

I can only whip up a solid lather and do one pass with my DE in 10 minutes. With my Mühle Sophist Fusion I'm done with the shave in 10 minutes and my skin feels AWESOME year in, year out.

Only tried DE because of my curiosity to be honest. Will continue to do a 3 pass DE shave 1-2 times a week, but when I'm in a hurry, Fusion is my preferred weapon of choice !
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Currently using the Fusion razer. I've got a really hairy face.

Hello all.

First time poster here.

I use a DE razor daily. A Gillette New open comb with ball handle from 1930. This is a great shaver, and it doesn't take that long to shave. I whip up lather an do a tree pass shave in twenty minutes. May take a little longer than the plasticfantastic types, but the quality of the shave is truly worth it.

^ Lovely vintage razor you've got there, Kvarten!. Out of interest, what kind of blades and shaving soap / cream do you use ?
    Welcome to Basenotes

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    ^ Out of interest, what kind of blades and shaving soap / cream do you use ?
    Welcome to Basenotes
    Thanks gandhajala. I use Israeli Personnas blades, and Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood soap. Been into this for a year now, and there is no way I'm going back to cartridges.

Nice. I've never tried Israeli Personnas blades - maybe I'll give 'em a go some time.
    Agree about cartridges, (((shudder))).

While I have used a Fusion ProGlide for a few months, I went back to my regular practice of going to my local Costco bulk reseller, buying a 50 pack of simple disposable razors (like $20 for an almost infinite supply, they hardly dull) and Im set for several years. The ProGlide was nice, but after going back, I realize that there are only two differences (atleast to me) in a fancy razor and a cheapie razor. 1) A heavy, comfortable handle, and 2) a trimming razor on the back edge of the blade, comes in handy sometimes.

Is it worth it for the cost? Heck no. I save so much every year, and my shaves are so damn close, they can't get any better.

I've gone back to my Mühle Sophist Fusion razor and now only use my Mühle Sophist DE once a week or less, just for the fun of it.

After 6 months I've come to the conclusion that DE gives me NOTHING over my Fusion, and when I use my Mühle Sophist Fusion I still feel I get the same high heavy quality razor that I get in my DE, but closer faster better shaves.

A tip I got where I sort of strop the Fusion blade with my finger after each shave has meant I'm gone from using the same Fusion blade 4-5 times to 10-12 times.

I've tried all the DE blades, but none give me the same 10 minutes 1 & 1/2 pass BBS shave I get from my Fusion. My time is not for spending 10-15 minutes extra on getting the same BBS shave with my DE quite frankly.

So DE is out for good - only use it for fun once in a while now.......
    I'm still using top top high quality shave creams, Silvertip badger brush and Pre and after shave stuff. That will never leave me, but the DE will.....just too time consuming to get a great BBS shave.

Just my 2 cents of 'wisdom'
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

^ TRAITOR!!! hehehe, just kidding
    It's really all about what works best for your face and lifestyle. Six months seems like a reasonable amount of time to trial DE shaving, so nobody can fairly accuse you of giving up prematurely. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. It is great to hear you've found your own winning comination.

As for me - no chance. I've gone too far down the single-blade path to ever return...

Thumbs up Re: What kind of razor do you use??

^ TRAITOR!!! hehehe, just kidding
    It's really all about what works best for your face and lifestyle. Six months seems like a reasonable amount of time to trial DE shaving, so nobody can fairly accuse you of giving up prematurely. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. It is great to hear you've found your own winning comination.

As for me - no chance. I've gone too far down the single-blade path to ever return...
    He...he....he

YES! I'm a traitor, I got the Feather DE razor for Christmas, and almost ordered the Pils Rasur DE razor - before I finally came to my senses and realized and accepted, that nothing really gives me a better, closer, faster and nicer shave than my Mühle Sophist Fusion razor with a Fusion blade inside

As said, I still do enjoy a DE shave from time to time - but I just find it harder to get as close a shave with my DE razor in less than 3 passes and 15-20 minutes - even with a Feather blade - than I do with my Fusion in 1 ½ pass and 10 minutes tops.

And with my new trick, finger stropping the Fusion blade, I get 10-12 comfortable shaves with the same blade, so they are not that expensive, if you can use them that many times with a good result.

I know you shall never say never, but I got to admit that I feel the same about DE shaving and Golf - they are both very nice hobbies, but a bit too time consuming for me where I am in my life currently.

20 years from now, I will most likely start to enjoy both hobbies and feel great about spending the extra time in the bathroom/on the golf course
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

I use a Gillette Sensor as well. Usually with CVS or Walgreen blades. I you want to have your blades last longer, just rinse them under clean water after you are done shaving and turn the hair dryer on them for 10 seconds. My blades seem to last twice as long.

I use a 6/8" thiers issard straight razor. I have a Slant on the way, with a bunch of Feathers waiting for it.

I use one of the exact razor as a member here, but also have a few more. Got a safety razor which I use most, Straight Blade and a Gillette when I'm on the go.

I use a safety razor for the time being while I learn how to hone my straight razors.

Basenotes Member

I use a merkur DE and a straight razor. I'd like to use the straight razor more but it's very time consuming because you need extra passes. In my experience the straight razor also gives an inferior shave - even when you do it well.

Gillette fusion 5 blade. The closest shave and the best money can buy.

Where did you find that stand? I cannot find it About to order the R89 and sell my Merkur 34C

Wow I think I found it. $60 though? Ouch!

But very sexy, no question.
    Last edited by Samarkand; 13th March 2012 at 03:59 AM.

Nothing can beat my double edge safety razor. I had to learn how to use it the right way at first, but it was time well spent!
    live in the NOW!

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaoloT1000 View Post
    Nothing can beat my double edge safety razor. I had to learn how to use it the right way at first, but it was time well spent!
    Agreed. Once you learn to use it, and find the right blades for your face, there is no better shave!

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post
    Where did you find that stand? I cannot find it About to order the R89 and sell my Merkur 34C

Wow I think I found it. $60 though? Ouch!

But very sexy, no question.
    I have the same stand.
    Get it here online:

http://www.muehle-shaving.com/shop/a...rs/6/25/RHM_SR

or find a Mühle dealer in your local area and order it from there
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Do some of you get razor burn on your neck no matter what, shaving with DE?

I'm considering keeping the Schick Quattro just to shave my neck.

Just bought some Jack Black pre shave lube (I think it has some silicon in it) to test out. Read great reviews.

And by the way I think trumper skin food is highly overrated. 100 mL for $30!

I'd rather use a mix of jojoba, glycerin, aloe, tea tree oil, witch hazel, and lavender.

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    I have the same stand.
    Get it here online:

http://www.muehle-shaving.com/shop/a...rs/6/25/RHM_SR

or find a Mühle dealer in your local area and order it from there
    It's pretty but a bit expensive. Wish it could hold the brush too.

May pick it up later.

By the way Cusson Imperial Leather smells great.

Just picked this up, has a good weight balance

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    Just picked this up, has a good weight balance

Link?

Possible to find a custom handle (faux horn) for the Muehl R89? That would look divine.

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post
    Do some of you get razor burn on your neck no matter what, shaving with DE?...
    The neck is one of the trickiest areas to shave, particularly if your beard grows in several different directions.
    If you're getting razor burn there, then I would suggest trying (if you haven't already):

1. Prepare the area better before shaving. Many people pay attention to the face, but neglect the neck. Make sure you soften the beard well by holding a steaming towel to the area. Repeat a couple of times. You may like to try using a pre-shave oil too.

2. Ensure you have a good lather that is properly hydrated (giving slickness and cushion), and take your time applying it with a brush. Really work the lather into your neck and face.

3. Perhaps most importantly, take extra care that you are not applying pressure to the razor when shaving. Its natural weight is sufficient. If you are pushing against the skin (especially skin that is being stretched), then you are asking for razor burn. A light touch is key. Also, avoid shaving against the grain, and see if this improves your shave.

Good Luck!

Thanks!

It's definitely an art. I think I apply too much pressure.

Will try that shave lube and report back. Also I think shaving when my hair is short causes more irritation. My skin heals slowly so a once a week shave is best for me in terms of irritation. I do grow it back by the next day but it's not long until day 6 or 7, when I feel the hair is much softer than day 1-2.

Always use ice cube on skin then usually fresh aloe leaf and tea tree oil. Going to play with jojoba oil next.

Thanks again.

I have an international shaving kit.

My razor is an old Gillette safety razor made Stateside. I have a Kent badger shaving brush made in England. I use Proraso shaving cream made in Italy and Wilkinson Sword blades made in Germany.

Only the whiskers are domestic – those I make myself, right here in Canada. Ha ha.
    A thing is worth what it can do for you, not what you choose to pay for it. – John Ruskin

Gillette ball end tech.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Always a straight razor, except in a rush when I will use a DE. My favorite is a revisor 8/8 extra - so sharp and smooth it is effortless.

^ oh, that's a beauty, Jistiin. I read somewhere that Revisor have been revived, which is great.
    A square-point, 8/8'' too ! Must take some skill

Parker 92R double edge with Shark super chrome blades

As of today, a Merkur Progress 570 adjustable.

The neck is one of the trickiest areas to shave, particularly if your beard grows in several different directions.
    Amazing what one learns here.

During the decades I was unable to wet shave my face till I bought a Fusion razor a couple of weeks ago, I never had any problem shaving my neck. I just used ultra cheap generic two-blade swivel cartridges from Israel sold in my supermarket ($3.20 for a pack of 10) and cheap shave cream or gel.
    Renato

I use a Gillette Fusion. I'm considering the safety razor route but I'm pretty sure I'll end up cleaving my neck nicely on mornings when I'm half asleep after a long night.

I go Sandalwood soap with a lower end badger brush, shave, finish with Jojoba oil (works wonders!). I get a pretty damned close shave with just the standard Gillette. Going with and then against the grain does it.

Quote Originally Posted by sacredsystem View Post
    Edwin Jagger DE Razor Lined Chrome Plated DE89L
    Add me to that list. Been converted to DE about 6 months now after a lifetime of disposables. This is a good newbie razor as it is non-adjustable, and a good medium between non-agressive and aggressive razors. Have generally settled on Feather blades, and Martin de Candre shaving soap. Will never go back to disposables.

Quote Originally Posted by scent_of_life View Post
    By the way, saving money, as the original poster said, will not happen since once you start enjoying shaving, it becomes as ever addictive as perfumes are! :-) New creams, soaps, razors, blades, bowls, stands - you name it!
    Agreed. I am brand new to the safety razor world and am already jonesin' to buy another brush, shave soap (eyeballin' razorock xxx), a stand and a sampler of different blades. If the hobby sticks I will eventually consider a shaving scuttle. I love having something new to obsess over.

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    Agreed. I am brand new to the safety razor world and am already jonesin' to buy another brush, shave soap (eyeballin' razorock xxx), a stand and a sampler of different blades. If the hobby sticks I will eventually consider a shaving scuttle. I love having something new to obsess over.
    I got my sample pack of DE blades the other day. Then today I got several Merkur razors in the mail, each of which contained a Merkur blade and a little pamphlet saying it is a blade for the connoisseur. Now I'm wondering what makes it so special.

Shaving sure is an interesting hobby, and it's a lot cheaper than scents, with numerous highly acclaimed creams and soaps costing less than $5, and the most expensive costing significantly less than a department store priced scent.

I'm thinking about Razorock too, but wonder how different can it be from other Italian soaps like Proraso and Cella, which I already have.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I just don't have any soaps yet and over at B&B they give Razorock a LOT of love and I want to compare soap shaves to cream shaves. So far I am a bonafide convert to the combo of JB's beard lube and Proraso shave cream. I want to test out some pre-shave oil too.

Gillette Mach 3

i switched from a straight razor with disposable blades to a real blade. it's a bit more difficult to shave with (less sharp as a fresh disposable blade) but i like it. i bought a beautiful old (maybe antique) blade, had it sharpened by a professional, and bought a strop and some paste to maintain it's sharpness.

Using some crappy Gillette grey ones that sorta look disposable. I need a new one, and jeez..I cut myself the other day. A think scar on my left cheek about one inch long. Thank goodness that's gone now.

I like variety, so for DE shaving I'm currently using,

Merkur 45 Bakelite
    Mekur 25C open comb
    Merkur 333C closed comb (but when I swap poles with the 25C it's the same as a Merkur 23C)
    Gillette Super Adjustable (metal everything, black pole)
    Gillette 1956 Tech
    Gillette 1948-50 Super Speed
    Lord (Tech Type) Head
    Lord (Merkur Type) head
    Feather Popular
    Weishi 2003-M

After running my old Wilkinson Sword blade through most of the DE razors, I've now put new Gillette Super Thin blades in each one and am putting them through their paces. The one I really hate so far is the Weishi one.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 20th May 2012 at 02:52 AM.

My most recent acquisition is a Weber ARC with a bulldog handle. I started with a Merkur Vision, but found out that I prefer the Futur, got the usual vintage Gillettes (Tech, Fatboy, Slim), and bought a Mergress earlier this year. The Weber ARC is the first non adjustable razor I really do like. It came with Astra superior blades that I already knew I like a lot, and I'll try it with Feathers soon. I keep my old Mach 3 for those short air travels with hand luggage only.

While there obviously is a learning curve for wetshaving with DE safety razors, especially when one is used to the pressure possible / necessary with cartridges, and one has to find the individual optimum of razor / blade combinations (especially blades are a very personal thing), I found the result rewarding in many ways. There is no danger for serious harm, either - that's why it is called a safety razor. As a newbie one may experience razor burn, less pressure is the obvious solution apart from finding the blade that suits you. Nicks or weepers may look scary as they bleed, but the are easily avoided with a little experience, and they do just superficial damage that heals quickly. (Straights are a completely different story - but I think I will go for it one day soon. I got two of them, too.)

While I never would try to push my preference for DE razors over cartridges on anyone (after all, this is neither religion nor politics), I would like to back up the good advice to try real shaving soap with a brush. Hype, advertising and price notwithstanding, no gel or foam meets the two objectives (hydration AND lubrication) nearly as well, for simple chemical reasons. Face lathering doesn't take much longer than spreading the canned goo, either. And the time you need is well spent, because hydration (essential for softening the stubble) takes some time. Did I mention the ridiculously low price? No real need (apart from the sheer luxury) for the somewhat hyped badger brush, either: Boar or horse will do the trick.
    Last edited by Kyujin; 19th May 2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Corrected typo

Quote Originally Posted by Kyujin View Post
    My most recent acquisition is a Weber ATC with a bulldog handle. I started with a Merkur Vision, but found out that I prefer the Futur, got the usual vintage Gillettes (Tech, Fatboy, Slim), and bought a Mergress earlier this year. The Weber ATC is the first non adjustable razor I really do like. It came with Astra superior blades that I already knew I like a lot, and I'll try it with Feathers soon. I keep my old Mach 3 for those short air travels with hand luggage only.

While there obviously is a learning curve for wetshaving with DE safety razors, especially when one is used to the pressure possible / necessary with cartridges, and one has to find the individual optimum of razor / blade combinations (especially blades are a very personal thing), I found the result rewarding in many ways. There is no danger for serious harm, either - that's why it is called a safety razor. As a newbie one may experience razor burn, less pressure is the obvious solution apart from finding the blade that suits you. Nicks or weepers may look scary as they bleed, but the are easily avoided with a little experience, and they do just superficial damage that heals quickly. (Straights are a completely different story - but I think I will go for it one day soon. I got two of them, too.)

While I never would try to push my preference for DE razors over cartridges on anyone (after all, this is neither religion nor politics), I would like to back up the good advice to try real shaving soap with a brush. Hype, advertising and price notwithstanding, no gel or foam meets the two objectives (hydration AND lubrication) nearly as well, for simple chemical reasons. Face lathering doesn't take much longer than spreading the canned goo, either. Did I mention the ridiculously low price? No real need (apart from the sheer luxury) for the somewhat hyped badger brush, either: Boar or horse will do the trick.
    I take it you mean a Weber ARC? If so, would its characteristics be that different from the stainless steel version?.

It's very interesting that you didn't favour the top-of-the-line Vision, but preferred the Futur instead. Could you please elaborate?
    Regards,
    Renato

Of course, my mistake / typo: I meant the Weber ARC. ARC presumably stands for "advanced razor coating" and is from what I read a very hard and smooth satinated chrome surface. Massively overengineered for the modest abrasive challenges in wetshaving, just like their "diamond like coating" (DLC). But very, very nice. It is the only Weber I own to date, so I can't comment on differences. I really don't believe that a cleanly machined steel surface without ridges or bumps would be inferior in practical use, as even the vintage Gillettes with brassing work nicely. But don't we buy our razors at least in part with their esthetic value as small sculptures in mind? Be that as is may, the Weber ARC is a very good razor and I would doubtlessly recommend it to beginners.

The Merkur Vision is simply too much for me, although it gives very smooth shaves. It has a reputation not unlike British sports cars: Nicely engineered and fancy, but not too reliable with quality control issues. They come too often with uneven blade gaps, and maintainance is a regular topic in the shaving forums. The Futur is much simpler and works just as well for me.
    Last edited by Kyujin; 19th May 2012 at 02:56 PM.

Of course, my mistake / typo: I meant the Weber ARC. ARC presumably stands for "advanced razor coating" and is from what I read a very hard and smooth satinated chrome surface. Massively overengineered for the modest abrasive challenges in wetshaving, just like their "diamond like coating" (DLC). But very, very nice. It is the only Weber I own to date, so I can't comment on differences. I really don't believe that a cleanly machined steel surface without ridges or bumps would be inferior in practical use, as even the vintage Gillettes with brassing work nicely. But don't we buy our razors at least in part with their esthetic value as small sculptures in mind? Be that as is may, the Weber ARC is a very good razor and I would doubtlessly recommend it to beginners.

The Merkur Vision is simply too much for me, although I gives very smooth shaves. It has a reputation not unlike British sports cars: Nicely engineered and fancy, but not too reliable with quality controll issues. They come too often with uneven blade gaps, and maintainance is a regular topic in the shaving forums. The Futur is much simpler and works just as well for me.
    Thanks for the explanations. I didn't realise the Vision was so finicky.

I got confused at the Weber site, they only make the DLC and ARC razors and sell the stainless steel bulldog handle separately. I clicked on purchase to see what postage rates were, and it told me to go to Amazon. So I went to Amazon, did a search, and only the stainless steel handle shiowed up. So I went back to their site, and read on the Tweets a link to their Amazon store page. And there they did sell the DLC Razor, as well as the handle. Which is very curious - they'd have a hard time selling their item when it doesn't show up in a search for "Weber Razor".

I note that in discussion at B&B some people say the Weber is an agressive or moderately aggressive razor - which is something I fear. I have the Merkur 25C open comb which I've put into retirement for a while. First time I used it, I thought it was my tamest razor, and I was having difficulty getting a close shave all over. Second time I used it with a new blade, I had the same problem - but I kept going over and over areas trying to get the closely cut feel. That didn't work so well, and I wound up scrapping lots of my face, taking me several days of electric shaving and Fusion shaving to recover.

I must admit that I'm very curious about their 2.4 oz handle which fits Merkurs and Gillettes. That would change the experience of using a lot of my light razors.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Weber seems to produce fewer razors than they can sell and they are often sold out. They seem to produce alternating batches of ARC and DLC heads. I had to wait a while before I could place my order. (The Mergress is worse in that respect, though.)

I wouldn't rate the ARC as aggressive at all, it feels quite mild to me. I have sensitive skin and a tough beard, so I tend to prefer mild razors with sharp blades. My adjustables are usually kept between 1 and 3, but I loved Feathers and other sharp blades from the start. Thorough preparation with a warm shower is compulsory. And: A good lather and the lightest touch, working with the razor's weight only. BBS.
    Last edited by Kyujin; 19th May 2012 at 04:49 PM.

Weber seems to produce fewer razors than they can sell and they are often sold out. They seem to produce alternating batches of ARC and DLC heads. I had to wait a while before I could place my order. (The Mergress is worse in that respect, though.)

I wouldn't rate the ARC as aggressive at all, it feels quite mild to me. I have sensitive skin and a tough beard, so I tend to prefer mild razors with sharp blades. My adjustables are usually kept between 1 and 3, but I loved Feathers and other sharp blades from the start. Thorough preparation with a warm shower is compulsory. And: A good lather and the lightest touch, working with the razor's weight only. BBS.
    That's an unusual marketing strategy by Weber.
    I have some Feather blades, but given their reputation, I haven't tried them yet.
    Thanks for your help.
    Regards,
    Renato

Less strategy than necessity, I suppose. Weber is quite new in the razor business and obviously has limited production capacities. I'd rather see them progress with care and maintaining their quality standards.

Even though I was lucky enough to grab a Mergress a few months ago, I'm still waiting to order the version with the long handle for a friend. But this isn't big industry, just one guy. So I'll wait, happily.

Less strategy than necessity, I suppose. Weber is quite new in the razor business and obviously has limited production capacities. I'd rather see them progress with care and maintaining their quality standards.

Even though I was lucky enough to grab a Mergress a few months ago, I'm still waiting to order the version with the long handle for a friend. But this isn't big industry, just one guy. So I'll wait, happily.
    Well, after our discussion, I've ordered a Weber DLC razor, which I should get in a few weeks. I figure that even should I not like the razor, it will be fun trying that Bulldog handle out on my other razors.

Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Well, after our discussion, I've ordered a Weber DLC razor, which I should get in a few weeks. I figure that even should I not like the razor, it will be fun trying that Bulldog handle out on my other razors.
    You've really been bitten by the wet-shaving bug, Renato !
    Great fun reading your experiences. Thanks for sharing.

You've really been bitten by the wet-shaving bug, Renato !
    Great fun reading your experiences. Thanks for sharing.
    I was certainly bitten last week by that Merkur 25C, and the four days recovery time!

Thanks, yes it's great fun. For what one would spend on a single bottle of Green Irish Tweed, one can buy a veritable arsenal of wet shaving stuff.

Yesterday I tried out my Lord Merkur Head Type shaver that I bought for $16. It looked like an exact cheap copy of my Merker 23C equivalent, but lighter because it's made of aluminium. I thought it shaved a little rougher than the Merkur (though that might have been due to the differences in soap - LaToya vs European Palmolive sticks). But at the end of the shave, I had no nicks at all, whereas I'd gotten two tiny nicks from the Merkur.

I think I'm getting strange parallels between this hobby and my fragrance hobby. There I went to the expensive niche stuff, and wound up for the most part unimpressed, reverting instead to the cheaper designer stuff, but not the cheapest stuff. Here, I seem to be doing the something similar.

I'm going overseas for 10 weeks later in the year, it'll be interesting to see which razor I pick to go with me.
    Regards,
    Renato