Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: What kind of razor do you use??

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    Yeah the first few time its going to happen no matter what. But then your skin get used to it and you will get a closer shave and your technique will improve.
    And that is part of the fun, trial and error. I'm still learning which blades I like (so far it's Astra, Merkur and I'm warming up to the Gillette 7 O'clock). I have some Feather's but before I give them a go I really want my technique to be solid so I don't lop my head off.

Parker 99R with taylor of old bond street sandal wood shaving Cream. i don't use pre shaving oil, i just use a good smear of king of shaves shave oil as it does exactly the same job and keeps skin from being stripped of moisture when making a dodgy pass. I use a small amount of pinaud clubman aftershave and my own home made moisturizer and then always finish with a liberal spray of Rive Gauche for men EDT on the Chest before throwing a shirt on, makes you feel you've stepped out of the barbers all day, utterly fantastic.
    Last edited by Murphy2012; 5th July 2012 at 06:52 AM.

Default Re: Today's Shave

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post

I wonder if it's possible to strop a half DE blade in a shavette and make it more comfortable?
    It's something I might test out one day, when I get over my current aversion to my shavette.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Sounds good in theory (like communism) but I don't think it would work. The DE blades are just too different from a straight to probably strop IMO. Very flexible, totally different steel, usually have a coating on them as well. I suppose it is possible some way some how, if you find it, let me know

Quote Originally Posted by jordanm View Post
    Sounds good in theory (like communism) but I don't think it would work. The DE blades are just too different from a straight to probably strop IMO. Very flexible, totally different steel, usually have a coating on them as well. I suppose it is possible some way some how, if you find it, let me know
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    It'll be a long time before I experiment (I actually have a strop now) - I'm avoiding my shavette like the plague.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- I'm avoiding my shavette like the plague.
    Get a real straight if you don't already have one. They are a world apart from a shavette.

I can shave with my straights as quickly and effortlessly as with my DEs, but my shavette just sucks any and all pleasure out of my shave...

And just for fun, here's a picture of my shavette.
    Mark K

Quote Originally Posted by MarkStar View Post
    Get a real straight if you don't already have one. They are a world apart from a shavette.

I can shave with my straights as quickly and effortlessly as with my DEs, but my shavette just sucks any and all pleasure out of my shave...

And just for fun, here's a picture of my shavette.
    Thanks. Nice picture too - which Arko cream is that?

I'm still undecided about getting a straight edge.

What amazes me is that from reading the reviews at B&B, is that there are people who really like using shavettes. I guess they either have faces with really tough skin, or hands as skillful as that of a brain surgeon, or both.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Thanks. Nice picture too - which Arko cream is that?

I'm still undecided about getting a straight edge.

What amazes me is that from reading the reviews at B&B, is that there are people who really like using shavettes. I guess they either have faces with really tough skin, or hands as skillful as that of a brain surgeon, or both.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Thank you. That is Arko Commando Creme.
    Mark K

Quote Originally Posted by rednut View Post
    Was wondering what razors other basenoters use...

Thanks
    Gillette Fusion ProGlide.

Simply the very best shaving tool ever created.

Oh, and before anyone jumps on me with the 'they're expensive and DE razors are better' chestnut ... been there, done it. If I am ever in a position where I can't afford 20 for a few cartridges I'll have more to worry about than shaving.

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post
    Gillette Fusion ProGlide.
    ....................... in a position where I can't afford 20 for a few cartridges I'll have more to worry about than shaving.
    20 for a few cartridges - that's pretty expensive.

Down here A$36 (24) usually gets you six cartridges and a razor.

Recently I picked up a pack of Pro-Glide with razor and 8 cartridges for A$20 (13).

I've been having fun with cartridges recently. I picked up a pack of SuperMax razor and 11 three blade cartridges for $2 (1.3). The cartridge drags a bit, but still gave a close, nick-free shave.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Double edge razor by Merkel. Astra blades.
    Top 5 (random order):
    1. Creed Aventus
    2. L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme
    3. Le Labo Rose 31
    4. Terre D'Hermes EdT
    5. YSL Rive Gauche

Merkur Futur in satin finish. I absolutely love it, and will never buy an overpriced cartridge again. I'm currently using Merkur Super blades, but want to experiment with other brands.

I recently bought a Big Roc razor for $5 from Ebay in China.

It shares many of the characteristics of my Weber DLC razor - it is heavy, well made, has a moderate blade gap (unlike most Chinese razors) and it only works well and delivers a mild shave with very sharp Astra SP and Feather blades. Like my Weber, it performs poorly with average blades.

Regards,
    Renato

I rotate through a stable of about 150ish str8 razors and 6 different DE.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." Winston Churchill

Today's Shave

Merkur 39C
    Valobra Mentolado
    Semogue 620
    Insense AS
    Insense EDT
    Mark K

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    I rotate through a stable of about 150ish str8 razors and 6 different DE.
    That's a mighty big stable of straight razors. Do you have a top 10? Or 20?
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MarkStar View Post
    Today's Shave

[center]Merkur 39C
    Valobra Mentolado
    Semogue 620
    Insense AS
    Insense EDT
    I must say that slants are good, and so is Insense, though I never liked it in wrist testing. I found it quite pleasantly unusual when worn for a full day.
    Regards,
    Renato

That's a mighty big stable of straight razors. Do you have a top 10? Or 20?
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Love them all but there are a bunch that are special to me for various reasons. Some that I restored or built new scales on. I use various materials like girraffe bone in different colors, horn from buffalo, kudu, cow etc. Some old Sheffield's etc. I have a love for various grinds etc. True framebacks. A Custom 13/8 Razor made for me out of A2 steel in an army theme. 250th ann Henckles. They all have a place and it really is a labor of love honing them etc. Can't seem to add pics here like on SRP.

Paul
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." Winston Churchill

Love them all but there are a bunch that are special to me for various reasons. Some that I restored or built new scales on. I use various materials like girraffe bone in different colors, horn from buffalo, kudu, cow etc. Some old Sheffield's etc. I have a love for various grinds etc. True framebacks. A Custom 13/8 Razor made for me out of A2 steel in an army theme. 250th ann Henckles. They all have a place and it really is a labor of love honing them etc. Can't seem to add pics here like on SRP.

Paul
    Thanks. That sounds like an unusual and fascinating interest you have.
    Regards,
    Renato

Thanks. That sounds like an unusual and fascinating interest you have.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Guns, knives, straight razors, Attar's. Lord know's what else but I have my hobbies. I wish I had one that was not so expensive!

Paul

Guns, knives, straight razors, Attar's. Lord know's what else but I have my hobbies. I wish I had one that was not so expensive!

Paul
    Try astronomy and photography if you want something relatively expensive - I now have 12 telescopes, 30+ pairs of binoculars, four DSLRs, lost count of the lenses, and I'm not sure how many point& shoots. My cheapest hobby is wet shaving - but I haven't tried the real straights yet!
    Cheers,
    Renato

Paul
    I know how you feel. As much as I've spent on frags, it's not even my most expensive hobby.

Musical equipment: I own 4 electric guitars, an electric bass, an acoustic/electric guitar, and an ukele. I also own a Mesa Boogie 5:25 Express tube amp, at least $700 worth of effects pedals, and maybe $500 in recording gear.

Modifying my car: At least $7k invested in performance parts and various other modifications. (Most expensive hobby so far)

Apple products: iMac, Macbook Pro, iPad, 2 iPhones, iPod touch, and Wireless router. Started out with the iMac for recording my music and fell in love.

Shaving/grooming stuff: Feather straight razor, lots of feather cartridges, several shaving creams, soaps, various aftershaves and Bay rums. I also have at least 20 different pomades, gels, and hair creams. Murrays, Dax, Sweet Georgia Brown, Deluxe, Black and White Pluko, American Greaser Supply, Layrite, Suavecito, etc...

Photography: Nikon D60, a 55-200 VR zoom lens, and some filters. Not nearly as extensive as Renato's photography gear.

Guns: Only have a Springfield XD .45 and a Ruger .22 Mark III pistol so far, but there are plans for a few more
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post

Guns: Only have a Springfield XD .45 and a Ruger .22 Mark III pistol so far, but there are plans for a few more
    Lucky you. I used to love shooting little Ruger and Hi-Standard pistols when I was a member of a pistol club many years ago - but I was a pretty hopeless shot on 38s and 9mm, and gave that hobby away. And we can't own pistols or even semi-auto rifles down here.

I lost so much interest in that hobby, that when for a year I happened to be put in charge of a Defence small arms testing range, I never even bothered to ask my staff to load up some weapons for me to have a bit of a blast (probably because I never would have heard the end of it from them, about how average a shot their boss was).

Though my interest in both precision and cheap instruments remain, be they guns or razors.

Don't you need at least a lower power and a higher power zoom lens in addition to your 55-200mm? I'd be lost without them.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 22nd July 2012 at 04:57 PM.

I have the VR 18-55 zoom lens that came with the camera as well.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    I have the VR 18-55 zoom lens that came with the camera as well.
    Then you have most common ranges covered. For some reason, I've become a fan of longer lenses - I have 300mm, 400mm, and 500mm lenses, as well as 100-400mm and 170-500mm zooms which I mainly use for birds, but which I like really blurring the background with people shots.
    Regards,
    Renato

Try astronomy and photography if you want something relatively expensive - I now have 12 telescopes, 30+ pairs of binoculars, four DSLRs, lost count of the lenses, and I'm not sure how many point& shoots. My cheapest hobby is wet shaving - but I haven't tried the real straights yet!
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Sounds like you're my bizzaro twin. Replace telescopes and binoculars with microscopes, and that's me. I haven't tried straight razors either. It will only be time.

Quote Originally Posted by Octothorpe View Post
    Sounds like you're my bizzaro twin. Replace telescopes and binoculars with microscopes, and that's me. I haven't tried straight razors either. It will only be time.
    I bet you're an at cleaning optical glass!
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Octothorpe View Post
    I bet you're an at cleaning optical glass!
    Cheers,
    Renato

Cheers,
    Renato
    I've got 2 dogs. Puppy food for the baby is as expensive as that gets. Although the old girls vet bills might start to spiral in a couple of years.

For shaving, I don't think you can beat the straight edge. Which we call a cutthroat down here. I've got a 20yo Dovo that I mainly use and some old antique with the name worn off that my dad gave me when I started shaving. I like to replace my strop every ten years or so, if that counts as RAD. I've tried DE and disposables up to 3 blades. Even a 2 blade cartridge for a bit in the 80s. Never bothered with electrics as everyone seems to agree they give an inferior shave. TBH, the time I spend taking care with the cutthroat is less than the time I spend rinsing out multiple blades. Stropping probably evens it up. I recently changed to a slate stone and that takes forever to sharpen a blade. But my gosh it is sharp when you are done. Prior to that I used the same old soap stone I inherited when I started shaving. But that is a little too wonky to do a good job any more.

This is probably not the place to say it, but the best shaving soap I have found is some homemade soap an old hippy friend makes. It lathers up a dream and seems to lubricate my face better than commercial products I have tried. And best of all, its a blank slate when I come to choose a fragrance. I might draw blood about once a year. Maybe less. I get no razor burn so I don't have much use for after shave.

I'll tell you what tho. I do enjoy the little ritual that is shaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Austere View Post
    I've got 2 dogs. Puppy food for the baby is as expensive as that gets. Although the old girls vet bills might start to spiral in a couple of years.

For shaving, I don't think you can beat the straight edge. Which we call a cutthroat down here. I've got a 20yo Dovo that I mainly use and some old antique with the name worn off that my dad gave me when I started shaving. I like to replace my strop every ten years or so, if that counts as RAD. I've tried DE and disposables up to 3 blades. Even a 2 blade cartridge for a bit in the 80s. Never bothered with electrics as everyone seems to agree they give an inferior shave. TBH, the time I spend taking care with the cutthroat is less than the time I spend rinsing out multiple blades. Stropping probably evens it up. I recently changed to a slate stone and that takes forever to sharpen a blade. But my gosh it is sharp when you are done. Prior to that I used the same old soap stone I inherited when I started shaving. But that is a little too wonky to do a good job any more.

This is probably not the place to say it, but the best shaving soap I have found is some homemade soap an old hippy friend makes. It lathers up a dream and seems to lubricate my face better than commercial products I have tried. And best of all, its a blank slate when I come to choose a fragrance. I might draw blood about once a year. Maybe less. I get no razor burn so I don't have much use for after shave.

I'll tell you what tho. I do enjoy the little ritual that is shaving.
    Our cat only eats the most expensive stuff - it all adds up. But if you really want to see expensive, just let your wife take a sick old cat to a vet - they think up treatments more expensive than for humans (e.g CTscans, radiation beads to cure cancer, major operations) costing thousands of dollars - and are excellent at pulling the emotional heartstrings. And the cat inevitably dies a month after the operation - but supposedly from something else, not their treatment.

I think your hippy friend could make a small fortune even if he or she tapped into the tiniest percentage of the shave soap market. Perhaps you could make a big fortune by managing the operation?

Interesting your experience with straight razors, I wish I could be as confident.

Cheers,
    Renato

I use Double-Edge safety razors (EJ89, Merkur 34C, Merkur Mergress, Muhle R41 open comb) and Super Iridium blades.

Our cat only eats the most expensive stuff - it all adds up. But if you really want to see expensive, just let your wife take a sick old cat to a vet - they think up treatments more expensive than for humans (e.g CTscans, radiation beads to cure cancer, major operations) costing thousands of dollars - and are excellent at pulling the emotional heartstrings. And the cat inevitably dies a month after the operation - but supposedly from something else, not their treatment.

I think your hippy friend could make a small fortune even if he or she tapped into the tiniest percentage of the shave soap market. Perhaps you could make a big fortune by managing the operation?

Interesting your experience with straight razors, I wish I could be as confident.

Cheers,
    Renato
    I don't mind spending on vet bills, but it is all about the quality of life. I let the last dog go coz he injured his back and had a lot of pain. All they could offer was painkillers. And even then they gave me some funny looks when I asked for him to be put down.

My friend's soap is good but I expect that going commercial would bring her face to face with a raft of legal requirements that I just know would be the end of it. I've smelled unperfumed soap on lesbians that had a strong carbolic component. I don't know if it had to be like that or they just wanted to smell that way coz it was very anti-girly. Not the sort of thing you can ask, really.

Confidence is cheap when you start shaving your teenage fluff with a cutthroat. The fine hair makes it easier to do smooth passes. Probably don't have to shave so close to make the job look done, either. My dad used to use one and I thought it was the only thing about him that was cool, so I got him to teach me when I started shaving. Now there was a man with a syndrome when it came to acquiring razors. Although I do have to say that some of the photos of cutthroats on this thread look mighty tempting.

New member, first post.

I shave with a Heljestrand straight razor that is probably even older than my father.

One blade ought to be good for several lifetimes, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by yonder View Post
    New member, first post.

I shave with a Heljestrand straight razor that is probably even older than my father.

True, but the cost of a good straight razor, plus strop, plus hone, plus stropping paste could buy a couple of good DE razors and a lifetime supply of DE blades (at the rate I use them, anyway).

But then again - your razor looks mighty impressive!
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 30th July 2012 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yonder View Post
    New member, first post.

Welcome, yonder!

I use a straight if I haven't shaved for a few days. Otherwise, a cartridge and even a DE would clog up too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by simlariver View Post
    I use a straight if I haven't shaved for a few days. Otherwise, a cartridge and even a DE would clog up too fast.
    That is one of the things I love about the straight razor. I ride a motorcycle year-round, so I usually will grow in a full heavy beard for the winter months to help keep my face a little warmer. When it comes time to shed the beard, there is no pre-shave trimming needed; I just shave a few months worth of beard right off as easily as 2 days of stubble.

One day I just got tired of shaving and grew a beard, so now I shave once every 2 weeks or so. I use a Norelco Bodygroom to keep everything clean looking though.

Hi!, Jake here...from north central Fla. I started wet shaving old school style in early 2011 using DE and SE safety razors. Prior to that, I began shaving in the mid to early 70's with disposable carts and canned shave foam so after 30 some years of carts and an occasional electric shaver, I was really glad to discover wet shaving using a shave brush and shave soap or shave cream and a proper safety razor (like DE and SE) but in the early spring of 2011 I thouyght I'd try my hand at using a straight razor and I got bit real good. This fetish has led me looking for vintage straight razors on ebay. I'll buy them (the cheaper the better), clean them up a bit on a bench top buffing rig then set about honing the razor after thoroughly cleaning the blade and the schales. FWIW I try to look for razors needing very little work, nothing more than a good cleaning and believe me, there are plenty out there. here's a couple of before and after pics of one of my latest finds

I decided early on to learn how to hone using Belgian Coticules, like this pair I used to hone up the above razor

but recently my honing addiciton led me to try using a Japanese natural hone and I've been happy with the results I get from this stone-

i lapped it a bit and used it on the above razor here-

Anyways, that's my AD...looking for neglected vintage straight razors, cleaning them, hone em' up and shave with them

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    Hi!, Jake here...from north central Fla. I started wet shaving old school style in early 2011 using DE and SE safety razors. Prior to that, I began shaving in the mid to early 70's with disposable carts and canned shave foam so after 30 some years of carts and an occasional electric shaver, I was really glad to discover wet shaving using a shave brush and shave soap or shave cream and a proper safety razor (like DE and SE) but in the early spring of 2011 I thouyght I'd try my hand at using a straight razor and I got bit real good. This fetish has led me looking for vintage straight razors on ebay. I'll buy them (the cheaper the better), clean them up a bit on a bench top buffing rig then set about honing the razor after thoroughly cleaning the blade and the schales. FWIW I try to look for razors needing very little work, nothing more than a good cleaning and believe me, there are plenty out there. here's a couple of before and after pics of one of my latest finds

Anyways, that's my AD...looking for neglected vintage straight razors, cleaning them, hone em' up and shave with them

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Fascinating, thanks.
    You've really been bitten by the straight razor bug.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Be careful in thinking that you will save money by switching to a straight razor. It's another hobby that can cost you as much, or even more than collecting frags. Proceed with caution.

I've always used a trimmer. Why wait for that 5'0clock shadow when you can get it instantly?

I use the Edwin Jagger DE89L razor, it looks great with chrome finish and gives me the best close shave since I was in Thailand but thats another story.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Honestly, I prefer manual disposable razors rather than electric ones.

While, yes, you have to be careful not to bleed if you shave incorrectly (and it may not be as quick and convenient), it always leaves the cleanest cut shave.

Electric razors become junkier and junkier each year due to cost-cutting and outsourcing. They don't last very long, and any electric razor under $80 won't give you a clean cut.

I tried one of the newer Norelcos, and after a few months switched back to my Gillette Fusion. Dry shave didn't work so well for me, and wet shave with the Norelco took longer than the Fusion. Unforunately I came to this realization after the 45 day money back guarantee period

I still use the Norelco occassionally if I haven't shaved for a few days.

Gillette Mach 3, but I detest shaving.

Merkur 34C

Banned

A double edge razor that I bought last year for $2.99 that came in a case with a small mirror. Or my Gillette Fusion when the beard is too thick. Currently waiting on a Lord L6 DE to come in the mail; very much looking forward to using it considering the positive reviews I've read of it online.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post

Electric razors become junkier and junkier each year due to cost-cutting and outsourcing. They don't last very long, and any electric razor under $80 won't give you a clean cut.
    Both the under $50 Remington and Philips rotary shavers work fine for me - providing I first wash my face with a soap that dries my skin out after the water dries off completely (medicated soaps like Sapoderm or Johnson&Johnson Clean & Clear soap bars do the trick).
    Regards,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GanjaStrong View Post
    Currently waiting on a Lord L6 DE to come in the mail; very much looking forward to using it considering the positive reviews I've read of it online.
    I think you'll be pleasantly pleased with the Lord L6 with its Merkur head - it works fine with everything I've tried.
    The Lord L5 with its Tech head, I wasn't as enthused with initially, until I realised it just didn't work well with very slippery creams, but worked fine with soaps.
    Regards,
    Renato

I loves me my safety razor

Update: constantly switching back and forth between my Wilkinson Classic single blade DE razor and my Gillette Fusion Cool White Cartridge razor, happy with both and with the thoroughness of their results.

I was sick and tired of the cost of shaving, so about a month ago I bought a double edged safety razor ($29) and 15 blades ($12). Those 15 blades will last me 4-6 months. I get as good a shave as I ever got with a 2 or 3 bladed razor. I have not cut myself shaving. For what it's worth, I am half Sicilian and have a heavy, wiry beard.

Quote Originally Posted by PCC1960 View Post
    I was sick and tired of the cost of shaving, so about a month ago I bought a double edged safety razor ($29) and 15 blades ($12). Those 15 blades will last me 4-6 months. I get as good a shave as I ever got with a 2 or 3 bladed razor. I have not cut myself shaving. For what it's worth, I am half Sicilian and have a heavy, wiry beard.
    You should try the feather blades if you have not already. They are ninja sharp and they cut through tough beards like a knife through butter.

I am embarrassed to admit I have been using the same razor for what seems like 50 years...the Atra Plus. I found it humorous when I was looking for another one as mine is cracked...they are discontinued and when I did find one they wanted $70. Still using the cracked one. I have a beard so shaving is quick and painless.

I use a straight razor when at a home and a double-edge safety razor when traveling. Airport security don't take kindly to the straight razor.
    What I've Been Wearing:

Quote Originally Posted by L'enfer View Post
    I use a straight razor when at a home and a double-edge safety razor when traveling. Airport security don't take kindly to the straight razor.
    A sad commentary on modern society, indeed. Here in the USA it's even hard to travel with a safety razor -- never mind the blades!
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I would suggest a double edged, safety razor. When used properly, it will render you a fantastic shave. It's really all about preparing the face prior to using the blade. Shave after showering, use a good lather soap, not that garbage that comes out of a can, and stretch you skin when shaving. You will get outstanding results and double edged blades are considerably cheaper than the fusion, mach, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PCC1960 View Post
    Check out Ebay of on-line stores. You should be able to get anywhere between 50 and 100 highly rated blades for that amount of money. You can check blade reviews at the Badger & Blade site. As you got no nicks, you may well be able to handle and like the very sharp blades like Feathers and Astra SP. Others prefer the somewhat more forgiving blades.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mrnybluesman View Post
    I am embarrassed to admit I have been using the same razor for what seems like 50 years...the Atra Plus. I found it humorous when I was looking for another one as mine is cracked...they are discontinued and when I did find one they wanted $70. Still using the cracked one. I have a beard so shaving is quick and painless.
    I have seen so many people at Badger & Blade talking about the Atra. I've never seen or used it, but it is obviously much loved amongst devotees.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 26th September 2012 at 12:52 AM.

I'm considering getting these Remington King of Shaves sets for my son and dad, mostly because they're on sale today. Any thoughts on these?
    http://www.woot.com/offers/remington-king-of-shaves-kit

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    I'm considering getting these Remington King of Shaves sets for my son and dad, mostly because they're on sale today. Any thoughts on these?
    http://www.woot.com/offers/remington-king-of-shaves-kit
    I think this would make a good gift. The only drawback is that I think its only compatible with remington cardridges.

Quote Originally Posted by Erok32 View Post
    I think this would make a good gift. The only drawback is that I think its only compatible with remington cardridges.
    Thank you! I'm taking the plunge and getting 3 sets.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I use a Gillette Fusion Proglide with Edge Gel. Works Great!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Thank you! I'm taking the plunge and getting 3 sets.
    I haven't tried the 5 blade Azor from King of Shaves, but I was very impressed with their 4 Blade Azor. The only downside was that mine didn't work very well with extremely slippery shave creams like Trumpers and Art of Shaving creams. But it was superb with soaps, brushless creams and less slippery creams.
    Regards,
    Renato