Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What kind of razor do you use??

I rotate razors. During work days I usually shave with the Gillette fushion. The one that utilizes the battery in it. When I have a little more time, I use a double edged razor, or safety razor. On weekends, I sometimes shave with a straight razor given that I can take my time. I have several badger shaving brushes from simple to silver tip badger hair. Cream. Well never out of a can. That stuff is garbage and dries up your skin. Truefitt & Hill is excellent. Trumpers, Proraso, etc. Warm shower, pre-shave oil, brush on a good lather, and make yourself beautiful. After all that , then you can wear your Aventus.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I haven't tried the 5 blade Azor from King of Shaves, but I was very impressed with their 4 Blade Azor. The only downside was that mine didn't work very well with extremely slippery shave creams like Trumpers and Art of Shaving creams. But it was superb with soaps, brushless creams and less slippery creams.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Thanks! This may work out for Dad best - he shaves with soap. We'll see how my son's shaving cream works with them once they finally arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Thanks! This may work out for Dad best - he shaves with soap. We'll see how my son's shaving cream works with them once they finally arrive.

It'll be interesting to see how they go with the razors.

You may at some stage want to buy them the King of Shaves Azor Advanced Shaving Gel to complement their new razors. It is relatively inexpensive, it doesn't shave as smoothly as the more expensive creams, but it cushions. I have a lot less nicks and alum stings when I use it relative to other creams. I've posted about how great it is over at Badger & Blade, but I seem to be the only person among the thousands who visit the site to have tried it.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    I have it with this space saving excellent looking stand:
    I've got that stand - I use it for my Merkur 37C!

DE safety razors. Mostly vintage Gillettes.
    If I Could Only Have a Dozen:
    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Creed Silver Mountain Water
    3. Guerlain Vetiver
    4. Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa
    5. Creed Bois Du Portugal
    6. Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree
    7. Creed Tabarome Millesime
    8. Guerlain Heritage
    9. Penhaligon's Sartorial
    10. Creed Royal Oud
    11. Chanel Egoiste
    12. Creed EROLFA

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Today I shaved with a Cobra Classic razor which uses the Feather Professional blades. What a fantastic shave. This razor is sort of a hybrid between a straight razor and a safety razor. Just two light passes on my face, and I can feel baby butt smooth skin. Incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Today I shaved with a Cobra Classic razor which uses the Feather Professional blades. What a fantastic shave. This razor is sort of a hybrid between a straight razor and a safety razor. Just two light passes on my face, and I can feel baby butt smooth skin. Incredible.
    Oh, I've really wanted to try one of those. It's a little outside of my budgetary constraints right now, but I've got my eye on it. Do you Badger & Blade or have you reviewed it anywhere yet?
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.

Those feather blades are great, I get about seven to eight shaves from them in my DE89 Jagger razor. They are the sharpest blades I have used and do the job perfectly each time.

Thumbs up Re: What kind of razor do you use??

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

DE89 EJ razor. That is an excellent razor. I have one. Super great shaves. especially with a feather blade.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    Works like a charm on my facial hair.

Default 8/8 Carl Schlieper

shaved with this Saturday afternoon

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.

Wilkinson active!

I've a EJ89L too and agree these are great. I use it for travelling.

I've also got a Futur, Gillette Slim Adjustable from 1964 and a Merkur Slant 37C.

I switch between the two adustables mainly and use the slant at weekends sometimes when I'm less rushed.

I got 5 Fushion Pro-Glade razors, battery operated, and I made $2.00 doing it. Those coupons man. They work like a charm though. Absolutely the best razor I've used.

Gillette Prostyler. Though since I barely have to shave, I guess any razor would work haha.

I use a vintage Hoffritz Slant razor. It provides very close and smooth shaves. I have a handful of other similar razors that are used on occasion plus a few straight razors.

Just got an Edwin Jager DE89L and a Feather "Popular" TTO. Here's a pic of my EJ and some frag related content.

"I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Basenotes Member

Back to Merkur DE for now.
    Last edited by david8; 16th December 2012 at 02:36 PM.

I use the DE safety razors and really like the one made by Feather.
    It's so easy to use and never cut myself, even when I am in a rush.
    Brush is by Simpson, the X1, bit on the small side.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgio View Post
    I use the DE safety razors and really like the one made by Feather.
    It's so easy to use and never cut myself, even when I am in a rush.
    I feel the same about my Weber polished. In fact I like it so much I've just ordered a DLC as well!

P.S. I love the test-tube rack/toothbrush holder!

P.P.S welcome to B.N!

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post

P.S. I love the test-tube rack/toothbrush holder!

P.P.S welcome to B.N!
    Me too and yes, welcome.

Marais, how do you like the Futur ? Having gone back down to 1 razor this year ( 34c ), I've been having thoughts lately about ordering one.

Thank you for the welcome Gentlemen; great forum it is.
    The toothbrush rack is by Zack.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Marais, how do you like the Futur ?
    Overall I think it is excellent. I like the weight, the build quality, the noise it makes; it is a pleasure to use and I get a great shave out of it. This and Weber are my favourites.

Minor quibbles:
    1. Getting right under the nose with the big head is tricky, even with it rotated 90 degrees. Rotating 180 means I'm more likely to get nicked (I always avoid ATG on the top lip). Anyway it means a bit of extra fuss.

2. It's best not to adjust mid-shave as you do this by rotating the head, which risks injury. I just leave it on 2.5 anyway, which is roughly equivalent to my Slim set on 6.

^ Cheers for your thoughts, Marais.

I've had razors with large heads before and know what you mean about getting into those tight spots under the nose. Always found a work-around, though.

Let's see. If I get one in the new year I'll report back.

Bismarck n' Blenheim

off to a good start today

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.

Gillette Super Speed Flairtip F2 1960 2nd qtr

For the past few months I've been using an Aristocrat Junior. It's British made, and performs amazingly well. I always get a good shave with a variety of blades.

For travel I've been using the Gillette Guard which is a cartridge razor meant for the Indian market. It's "open comb." I get a surprisingly good shave from it.

I've been using an Edwin Jagger DE86 with Proraso Green.

Started shaving DE to get out of paying out the nose for cartridges (just $7.88 for a 100 pack of Derby blades vs $15 for like a 5 pack of Mach 3 cartridges...screw you, Proctor & Gamble), but I now I really like it.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

My Feather RG Artist Club straight

My Edwin Jager DE89L

My quad stand

"I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

+1 to Proraso-can be a bit potent for some tho.

+1 to Witch Havel Astringent

I have been using for the last month a new razor. It is from a company called Dorco. It has 6 blades and I got it along with a bunch of refills and some 4blade razors-a whole years worth, for $30 from dorcousa.com. The razors so far are great quality and I would highly recommend them

Recently went newschool with the Muhle R89 Grande.

The best that I have tried so far is Gillette Fusion. I prefer 5 blade razors and like the single blade that these have on the edge for trimming sideburns and getting under my nose.

I realize these are "amateur" compared to some of the nicer razors others have mentioned here, but I just have not gotten to the point where I feel that I can't live without a badger hair brush. My wife made me pick between my fragrance obsesseion and a shaving obsession. I chose to keep my frags.

Quote Originally Posted by jbthorpe View Post
    I realize these are "amateur" compared to some of the nicer razors others have mentioned here, but I just have not gotten to the point where I feel that I can't live without a badger hair brush. My wife made me pick between my fragrance obsesseion and a shaving obsession. I chose to keep my frags.
    I got a pig bristle brush my wife bought me in the 80s, a razor my dad gave me when I started shaving and one I bought in the 90s for $180. Fair doos, I buy a strop every ten or fifteen years. Yet to spend $100 on one, tho. Got to be the cheapest way to shave there is. Case is easily made that cutthroat is the amateur way to go.

I recently bought a Big Roc razor for $5 from Ebay in China.

It shares many of the characteristics of my Weber DLC razor - it is heavy, well made, has a moderate blade gap (unlike most Chinese razors) and it only works well and delivers a mild shave with very sharp Astra SP and Feather blades. Like my Weber, it performs poorly with average blades.

Regards,
    Renato
    Have you tried a shim in the DLC? I find it on the 'too mild' side too but 'just right' with a single shim. I mainly use Personna Platinum Chromes ('Reds').

i still prefer my mach 3 to my merkur slant bar with feather blades...i do enjoy the slant bar on the sides of my face though but around my chin/upper lip and neck the mach 3 does a better job
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Quote Originally Posted by lanky View Post
    i still prefer my mach 3 to my merkur slant bar with feather blades...i do enjoy the slant bar on the sides of my face though but around my chin/upper lip and neck the mach 3 does a better job

A slant with a feather is a pretty aggressive combo though, especially on those more nick-prone areas you mention!

Have you tried a shim in the DLC? I find it on the 'too mild' side too but 'just right' with a single shim. I mainly use Personna Platinum Chromes ('Reds').
    I did try shim when I first got it and it wasn't shaving at all well with my Trumpers cream when I was using Gillette Super stainless blades (which are pretty sharp). But that didn't work. In the end I put a Feather blade in (and now an Astra SP), and it works well with soaps and average creams.

Now I'm happy having the ultra-mild Weber DLC as I have plenty of more aggressive razors. With the Weber I know I most probably won't get nicked no matter how fast I go (it hasn't happened yet) - so that I won't have to worry about flowing blood when I'm in a hurry to go somewhere.

Interesting that you have the same experience as me with the Weber DLC. Something has changed in the batch I got mine from, because when I got it and posted about how ultra-mild it was at B&B, most everyone disagreed with me, telling me it was as aggressive or more aggressive than the Merkur 34D. My Merkur 33 is plainly more aggressive with any blade than the Weber DLC with the sharpest blades.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jbthorpe View Post
    The best that I have tried so far is Gillette Fusion. I prefer 5 blade razors and like the single blade that these have on the edge for trimming sideburns and getting under my nose.

Nothing wrong with the straight Fusion cartridge - I'm very fond of it myself. I've had about 15 shaves with my cartridge which I use occasionally and clean with the Razorpit, and it's still doing fine.

I use a $10 badger brush I got from Hong Kong. It sheds a couple of hairs on my face every shave, but otherwise works great.
    Regards,
    Renato

Interesting that you have the same experience as me with the Weber DLC.
    Yes, the odd thing is that it my shimmed DLC seems at about the same aggressiveness level as my unshimmed polished-head Weber, which, apart from the coating, appears of identical design. I haven't measured the blade-gap, mind. I bought both within a few months of each other.

Yes, the odd thing is that it my shimmed DLC seems at about the same aggressiveness level as my unshimmed polished-head Weber, which, apart from the coating, appears of identical design. I haven't measured the blade-gap, mind. I bought both within a few months of each other.
    Thanks. Your experience with the two razors might make a good topic at the DE Razor forum at Badger & Blade. A few more people would have DLCs from the last batch than when I posted about it.
    Regards,
    Renato

DE's starting in 2006.

Futur at the moment.

Hey guys can someone recommend some straight razors or safety razors that are high quality, but a good idea for a beginner? I don't want to spend too much because I might not like shaving that way after I try it, but I'm really hoping it'll work for me because I really hate all the razors I've tried. I've never had a really nice razor.. Fanciest thing I ever had was one of those vibrating Mach something or other.

"Its asymmetrical design concentrates weight near the bottom of the handle, so this Italian-made razor feels heavier than the rest. But the slight arc of the wenge wood provides a wonderful grip."

The AdP shaving gel also amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by trallis View Post
    Hey guys can someone recommend some straight razors or safety razors that are high quality, but a good idea for a beginner? I don't want to spend too much because I might not like shaving that way after I try it, but I'm really hoping it'll work for me because I really hate all the razors I've tried. I've never had a really nice razor.. Fanciest thing I ever had was one of those vibrating Mach something or other.
    My straight razor is an hundred years old, so I can't really give a good recommendation as far as that goes. When it comes to safety razors, a good first choice is to find yourself a Gillette Tech. The Edwin Jagger DE8x series is excellent as well -- they have the Mühle head without the expense of purchasing the whole Mühle razor. There's no sacrifice of quality, though -- the Jaggers are just cheaper in price. If you're looking to spend on the lower end of the cost scale, then there's the Feather Popular. It's mostly plastic, but I've had mine for over 3 years and it's holding up fine. Plus, it is a great match to Feather blades...

You couldn't go wrong with any of those choices. Why no Merkur? Well, I own a few, but they have a lot of manufacturing variances in my opinion and the only one I recommend is the sledgehammer slant and that is in no way a beginner's choice!

I second the cyberman's rec for the Edwin Jagger DE89. Great quality for the price. Yes, you can get cheaper, but starting with a crappy razor could put you off for good!

I am currently conducting a razor experiment, and am testing two out:

1. Trac II - generally considered the best cart razor with a non-pivoting head. It's also one of the cheapest ways to shave. I have the well-balanced Bump Fighter handle ($6 from CVS), and use the Wilkinson Sword Trac II carts (10 for $3.50 at Walmart).

2. Sensor - considered by some the last great razor Gillette made. I'm using a $10 brass handle with OEM replacement carts (which have spring-loaded blades) for ~$1.25 per cart, depending on quantity.

I have successfully shaved with 3, 4 and 5-blade razors, but they are simply not worth the extra expense compared to the Trac II or Sensor. Many believe them to be nothing more than a marketing ploy, and not superior to their 2-blade forerunners.

I have a feeling the Trac II will win if I can re-learn to shave at the proper angle. The Sensor, with a pivoting head and floating blades, is basically idiot-proof.
    Last edited by Moneysuckle; 8th April 2013 at 01:49 AM.

A slant with a feather is a pretty aggressive combo though, especially on those more nick-prone areas you mention!
    i have tried other blades with it as well..cant remember the names offhand but it was a sample pack from amazon...feather was the best i tried..merkur platinum was the worst...i have very chizzled features around my neck and jaw so anything less than a flat surface seems to give the slant bar a problem..the area where the slant bar seems to excell is i can let my beard grow a little bit longer than normal and it wont "pull" like a regular disposable or mach 3 would...i have not tried any other DE razor other than the slant bar
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Basenotes Junkie

Gem 1912 Damaskeene. Simply the best safety razor ever made.
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

I've heard a lot of great things about Gems, but I've never owned one. They mostly seem to be cheap as chips on the open market. I think there are Personna single-edges available for it, so it may be worthwhile for me to pick one up. Great, something else to buy!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Have been using an Edwin Jagger DE-89, lately. Excellent shaves with it using Derby blades.

Reverted to my Gillette Fusion as of lately.

I use an electric razor. Braun series 7, the most advanced one. It is very good.

Like several of the above folks, I use a Merkur Futur. It is a great first DE razor. I use it with Feather, Astra and Personna Super blades, get the best shaves from the latter two.

I also have a Brian Brown kamisori-style straight razor, which I am working up the courage to apply to my face.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmopolit View Post
    I also have a Brian Brown kamisori-style straight razor, which I am working up the courage to apply to my face.

~~~is this your first exp. w/a straight razor?

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.

Lately, I've been using a Cobra Classic SE.

CologneFan85

I only use a straight razor, learned how to use in the Navy

While I still love all my safety razors, I now shave with a Dovo Straight razor. Takes longer (probably since I have only been doing it for 8 weeks) but much more enjoyable.

Wilkinson Sword Quattro, did use Mach 3 but got the Quattro for a gift so switched to that. Thinking of getting a Merkur though.

I'd investigate the Edwin Jagger offerings, DPTC. Merkur razors can have some variations in manufacturing quality that can be exasperating. Plus, the Jagger 89 series has a Mühle head for much less cost than the Mühle.

Been using the Truman razor by Harrys.