Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default What kind of razor do you use??

I personally use a 2 blade Gillette razor. But I've only just realised that the money I spend every year on blades is stupid and over a lifetime, I'll end up spending thousands I'd much rather spend that money on frags! That's why I'm now considering using a straight razor. I know the initial cost will be higher, but they should last a lifetime..

Was wondering what razors other basenoters use...

Thanks

Default Re: What kind of razor do you use??

I was considering learning to use a straight blade, but there seems to be a lot of maintenance involved as well as potential severe danger but I'm told you can't get a better shave by any other means.

The Trac II has seen the most use over the past few years, it is a compromise but its fairly quick.
    My goal is to learn the art of the straight razor. Ive tried the easy parts of my face with one and it works great if its kept very sharp.

The maxim that 'patience is a virtue' takes on a new meaning with one of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Banzaiburger
    I was considering learning to use a straight blade, but there seems to be a lot of maintenance involved as well as potential severe danger but I'm told you can't get a better shave by any other means.
    Don't believe it. I started shaving in the late 50s with a double-edge; however, my grandfather and two uncles were barbers, and (reluctantly) taught me how to use and sharpen straight razors; I still have many today, and whenever I read claims like this, I re-test my perception by shaving with one: nothing shaves as close or comfortably as a Mach-3!

The sole exception is for those whose genetics (usually northern-European and fair) give them a light beard, and who like to fool with a straight-razor.

I'm Italian, and have a dense, wiry and tough beard, and modern metalurgy and manufacturing produces a blade that glides through it painlessly.
    Cordially,

Serge

ever since I started shaving at 13, I have loathed the experience - no matter how carefully I shaved my neck would wind up a bloody mess of cuts and razor burn. I have tried practically every "modern" razor out there, all the gilettes, shick, mach3, etc... and pretty much every shaving cream and they all leave my face a mess. even shaving with the grain, hot water, steam etc... nothing worked. This year for my b-day I got a nice Double Edge razor (merkur vision) and I am nearly crying at all the wasted years I spent tearing my face up for nothing. Yes there was a learning curve with the DE - I cut myself a few times at first, but now after about 2 weeks with it I actually *look forward* to shaving every day. true it takes about 3-4 min. longer than my normal razor shave, but I end up with a baby-smooth finish with NO irritation, cuts, razor burn. I am consistently amazed - this is the first time in my life I can ever remember being able to touch my neck wihtout it being horribly painful :-) my wife is also amazed. I can't speak highly enough of the DE razor I really think that if you are willing to put in a tiny bit of effort to learn the technique that nothing else can come close (cant speak for straight razors). As an added bonus, blades are something like $0.20 each or somehting rediculously cheap... take that $3 mach3 cartridges!

oh, as a side note I am using jackblack "beard lube" as kind of a "pre-shave" and crabtree and evelyn shave soap with a badger brush.

Use to use a Mach3 but I'd always get bumps on my neck from it. Switched to a Schick Quattro and haven't looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick
    ever since I started shaving at 13, I have loathed the experience - no matter how carefully I shaved my neck would wind up a bloody mess of cuts and razor burn. I have tried practically every "modern" razor out there, all the gilettes, shick, mach3, etc... and pretty much every shaving cream and they all leave my face a mess. even shaving with the grain, hot water, steam etc... nothing worked. This year for my b-day I got a nice Double Edge razor (merkur vision) and I am nearly crying at all the wasted years I spent tearing my face up for nothing. Yes there was a learning curve with the DE - I cut myself a few times at first, but now after about 2 weeks with it I actually *look forward* to shaving every day. true it takes about 3-4 min. longer than my normal razor shave, but I end up with a baby-smooth finish with NO irritation, cuts, razor burn. I am consistently amazed - this is the first time in my life I can ever remember being able to touch my neck wihtout it being horribly painful :-) my wife is also amazed. I can't speak highly enough of the DE razor I really think that if you are willing to put in a tiny bit of effort to learn the technique that nothing else can come close (cant speak for straight razors). As an added bonus, blades are something like $0.20 each or somehting rediculously cheap... take that $3 mach3 cartridges!

oh, as a side note I am using jackblack "beard lube" as kind of a "pre-shave" and crabtree and evelyn shave soap with a badger brush.
    Erick, your findings are similar to almost everyone who switches to a DE and a brush. Good for you. I suggest getting some Taylor creams from www.qedusa.com and your shave will be even better!

On Friday, I had my hair cut at The Grooming Lounge in DC. My barber has been cutting hair (as both barber/stylist) since the early 70s. As they also give shaves, I asked him about the GL's practice of using Mach 3s to give a shave rather that the traditional straight razor. He believed that it was because many of the other cutters at the GL are not trained to use a straight razor and management wanted everyone to use the same blades. (The GL claims on their website that it is because it is the best shave available.) From my barber's standpoint, it is more difficult to use a Mach 3 to shave a client because you cannot see the blade where it meets the skin. For his money, the straight razor is still the best shave, but the Mach 3 is very good.

I wonder if the issue is really about using a fresh blade. If you properly maintain a straight edge razor, you are always using a freshly honed blade. It should shave well. Besides, given the nature of the beast, one tends to shave slowly and more carefully. A new mach 3 (or a new blade of any type) should also give a good shave if you rinse it well during use and shave carefully. However, when I used a multiple blade I would often shave quickly with an old, over used blade. This generally resulted in my pushing too hard into my face so that I had lots of razor burn and discomfort.

For several years, I used a Panasonic Wet/Dry Electric Razor. Used with warm water and shaving cream, I got a wonderful shave compared to the dull, over used triple blades I had been using. Generally speaking, it was a better shave than I had been used to, but it should have been. My shaving habits before the electric were geared towards producing a horrible shave.

I now use a safety razor (Merkur- the double edge razor spoken of above). With a single blade on each side, one has to be careful or one can leave a nasty cut or gouge (voice of experience here). However, with two blades that cost 20-40 cents a week to replace, the cutting surface is always fresh and sharp, the shave is slow, methodical and careful (using a good soap and a brush), and the shave is smooth and magnificent. Can one achieve the same result with a Mach 3 everyday? Probably you could, but I couldn't. I was too cheap to replace the $3 dollar blade often enough, I wasn't careful enough and I didn't take enough time to shave well.

I agree with someone above that the straight razor is not for everyone. Thicker beards can dull it quickly. While I love my safety razor (and I hope to someday learn how to maintain a straight razor), I believe that used correctly, any blade/razor, except perhaps for supermarket brand disposables, will give a good shave. It's just important not to defeat the engineering of the blade. Multiple blades need to be rinsed regularly to clear the hair from between the blades. Otherwise they clog and skip across your face. They also should be replaced regularly (weekly or more often if your beard is heavy). For there is no benefit derived from dragging dull, dinged, or warped metal across your face no matter how much you payed for the blade.

However, I love the safety razor because shaving is now not simply a chore, but a pleasure. I love the process of brushing/massaging my face with the boar bristle brush. I use a wonderful rose scented soap which is soothing and refreshing. And the shave itself is easy and without burn or bite. While any blade might work, I highly recommend the slow, low budget alternative of the safety razor.

G

I use a Norelco electric - Speed XL. Shaves very close, and when it wears out, I'll buy another.

I use a 2 blade Gillette also. I don't shave a lot. Usually 2 or 3 times a week leaving that rugged bum look most of the time. I use new blades a lot since I have thick facial hair and let it grow.

I bought a straight razor when I was younger from an antique store. You can find some real gems there for straight razors. After sharpening it, I tried it. Hell, no. After getting over the feeling that you may slice your cheek open, it's just not worth it. Safety razors are easier on the face, safer and in my hands, a much closer shave.

I've used a Gillette Mach 3 for years now and have found it to give me the best shave ever... until now, that is. I just used an Edwin Jagger DE89L double-edged safety razor and my face is smooth!
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

I alternate between three double edge razors.

Mach 3

Merkur 34c. I started and ended there TBH. I do one proper WTG pass, then use a pivoting disposable for my ATG and done.

and yes, I realize I'm contributing to the revival or a 4 year old thread...
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Blog Entries

Good god, I'm in odd man out in a sea of Mach 3's!

Sensor Excel here.....
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I use Gillette Good News double blade daily to shave. It is blue plastic handled. I also use a Burt's Bees shaving soap round and a bristle brush of unknown origin. I never really get a close shave but it is always a comfortable shave. I probably get 3-4 shaves per razor as I don't have a heavy beard.

I remember my grandpa using a double edge Gillette three piece screw-together razor with Gillette Blue Blades and ordinary bar soap lather whipped up in a kitchen coffee mug with and applied via a shaving brush. Gramps had a very heavy beard. He also had a long (40"?) X 2" leather strop that he attached to the top of the bathroom door and, using a special dull blade holder, stropped both cutting edges of a used blade back into fairly good cutting ability for about 2-3 weeks of daily shaves from the same blade. Later a used and apparently impossible to sharpen blade was disposed of by putting it into a slot in the back wall of the medicine cabinet. I remember occasionally hear the sound of one dropping down into the wall cavity below the medicine cabinet.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I always go for the latest Gillette multi-blade. I think they're up to 17 blades already. Fusion Ultimate Death Challenge, or something like that. Get the one with the semi-useless and somewhat hilarious vibrating function. Really, truly, no kidding: a great, fool-proof shave. Amusing at 5 a.m., when you're only semi-awake and need to leave the house in a hurry.

Sorry to bump this thread again, but I just had my first shave with Gillette Fusion Cool White, the non-vibrating version, and, while I am not endorsing Gillette in any way, I must say that the shave was closer, lasted 10-15 minutes less with similar or better results and left much less (in fact, close to no) irritation behind

I used to use a Merkur Vision 2000 (with Feather blades) up until 6 months ago, but grew tired of having to be uber careful with it first thing in the morning.

I now use a Gillette Fusion. It's not as smooth, but it's quicker, and there's far less chance of me slicing my throat or cutting my nose off by mistake.

I ONLY use my Straight razors, thats all!
    I would NEVEER use some fake razors or electrical razor-machines, its no good results with machines.

The classic style of shaving is the best.
    but it takes about 1 hour-1½ hour, but the result is very good after the shave, and my friends loves to be shaved that way !!

I saw the latest, greatest Gillette Fusion at Target today, "now featuring thinner blades." I can only imagine that this is a naked attempt to make the blades go dull more quickly. A year or so ago Gillette was running print ads in the U.S. reminding Fusion users to change the blades when the blue strip faded. Ha ha - they were trying to deny what consumers figured out long ago - that you can use a Fusion blade for a very long time before you have to replace it. I think Gillette inadvertently let out a really good, long-lasting product, thereby damaging their daily sales.

That's my jaded consumer take, at least. I'm sure they're good blades, and I'm sure I'll end up trying them eventually. . .
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 4th July 2011 at 12:58 PM.

Solingen Omega Straight Razor is the best razor ever, all my customers loves when i use it!
    But i should tell you that i am selflearned and have never cutted anyone of them!
    I got some master skills now, so i starting after the summer to shave in my own house for the price of 40 EUR for them whos not my friends.

When one does not have a seven-day set of straight blades, nor the leisure to shave in a meticulous fashion--nor have a valet to strop and oil the blades, the best thing is the trusty Mach 3.

This is used, of course, with a tub of Trufitt and Hill shaving cream.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I use a Gillette Fusion ProGlide. I have always suffered with pulling and razor burn. After switching to this razor and along with the Gillette Sensitive shaving foam - i have never had any problems and have a very comfortable shave. I used to have the notion to learn how to use a straight razor. I got it but it really wasn't for me

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I have found that the Schick Extreme 3, with stropping 15-20 strokes after rinsing it well and shaking it dry after each use, on the inside of my DRY forearm (leather is made from skin ya know) , gives me dozens of great shaves before I need to super-strop on a well smothed out and stretched out bluejean pant leg lying flat on an ironing board. Works like a charm and the Schick E-3 is ready for another couple of dozen shaves with forearm stropping after each. I usually replace it after about 50 shaves although it is still giving a great shave.

I have a Mercur 38C with feather blades that gives a great shave and I use it sometimes but in my opinion not any better than with the Schick Extreme 3 and I find I have to be much more careful with it than with the Schick Extreme 3 to avoid nicks.

I strop those Feather double-edge blades, both sides of both edges, carefully across my DRY palm on the fleshy part well below my little finger after each use. Works like a charm also.

Folks we are dealing with edges a few molecules of metal thick so the stropping really works to resharpen very close to the original edge for a good number or times before a new blade(s) is needed.

Youtube has some great demos of the above stropping techniques.
    Last edited by kbe; 19th July 2011 at 10:09 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I use the schick hydro 3 and aveeno positively smooth shaving gel

i like a straight razor with disposable blades.

Pro Fusion Glide

Basenotes Member

Dovo Shavette straight, Merkur Progressive DE, Fusion Powerglide disposable, Panasonic electric....depends on how much time I have or what I feel like!

I use a real razor, a straight, complete with strop and honing stones. Started with a shavette and double edge razor back in 2005 and went to a real straight within weeks. Never looked back since. Best shave ever and I only need to shave every other day.

Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    I use a Gillette Fusion ProGlide. I have always suffered with pulling and razor burn. After switching to this razor and along with the Gillette Sensitive shaving foam - i have never had any problems and have a very comfortable shave. I used to have the notion to learn how to use a straight razor. I got it but it really wasn't for me
    I use the Fusion Pro Glide as well. Without a doubt the best razor / blade I've used...

Double-edge razor. Since I started, shaving has become an enjoyable experience, which wasn't the case with the Sensor Excel, Mach 3, or the couple of electrics I tried previously. Even if I'm feeling lazy, I always get a far better shave than I ever did with the cartridges or electrics.

I can't really speak to the money-saving nature of DE shaving though, because I've managed to acquire quite a collection of vintage razors...

Basenotes Member

I use a Feather stainless razor with Feather blades. Check out the badger and blade to learn all about shaving guys!
    Cheers,

-Nick

Mühle Sophist R44 Fusion and Mühle Sophist R44 DE in conjunction with Mühle Sophist Silvertip Badger 23 brush and bowl and then one of my 12 tubs of ShaveCreams of course current favs are Castle Forbes, Penhaligon and Fitjar ShaveCreams !!

My two sets:

Fav blades:
    Fusion
    Fusion Orig & Fusion ProGlide
    DE
    Feather (Precision) and Derby (comfort)

Use DE when I have time in the evening, Use Fusion Pro Glide blades on my Mühle R44 Fusion when busy in the morning.

Best shave is hybrid of DE and Fusion IMHO

DE for cheek & neck and Fusion for under nose, lip, chin and Adams apple
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

I use a Gillette Fusion razor, with any decent shaving gel, which I find give me a really close and clean shave. After shaving, I "clean" the blades using a "Razor Pit" which prolongs the life of the blade enormously - I really don't know how much money I've saved on replacement blades by using this gadget!

The "Razor Pit" has been spoken of previously on this forum, so check it out if you want to save money. I honestly don't have any vested interest, but I strongly recommend it.

In the UK, I got mine for around £20 from www.mankind.co.uk.

Quote Originally Posted by HDD8 View Post
    I use a Gillette Fusion razor, with any decent shaving gel, which I find give me a really close and clean shave. After shaving, I "clean" the blades using a "Razor Pit" which prolongs the life of the blade enormously - I really don't know how much money I've saved on replacement blades by using this gadget!

The "Razor Pit" has been spoken of previously on this forum, so check it out if you want to save money. I honestly don't have any vested interest, but I strongly recommend it.

In the UK, I got mine for around £20 from www.mankind.co.uk.
    I also use the Razor Pit. In fact its made by a Dane, but the proclaim if 150 shaves on same blade is CRAZY EXAGGERATED !!!

I get maybe 8-10 shaves on same blade, but this is still much better than the 3-4 shaves I would normally get without razorpit in the garage
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Just switched to Wilkinson Classic DE-razor and I'm quite pleasantly surprised about the thoroughness and the decrease of razor burn

Update: as soon as I get more confident and familiar with this kind of shave, I might shave daily, not just any other day, with my DE-razor (something I did not venture to do, mainly because of razor burn, with my multi-blade system razor)

Wow Ken. I'm always amazed at how many I guys I run into that can't shave everyday. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I haven't shaved everyday in the last ten years.

I hope the new razor helps. Check out Badger and Blade for lots of tips.

I've always used some form of a Gillette disposable razor, most recently their Fusion ProGlide razors. For the past several years, I'm loving an old school badger brush + one of the traditional shaving creams from the UK e.g., Trumper, Truefitt & Hill etc.

BUT, the greatest ephiphany for me came when a few years back, a foreign friend w/ whom I was traveling, asked why I changed my blades so frequently i.e., at least once per week. I thought he was nuts to suggest otherwise - since I had always changed blades this frequently and presumed that I had to in order to achieve a close, comfortable shave.

However, I gave it a shot...and I soon realized that I can actually get insane mileage out of these higher-tech Gillette blades...I literally only use 4 or 5 blades per year max!!! It's absolutley amazing and as you can imagine, it's an equally huge savings of $$$. I have a moderatlely dense beard - I never skip a day shaving - and have yet to have any deleterious effects on the quality of my shave, ingrown hairs or any other issues...not sure everyone will have the same experience that I have had but it's definitely worth giving it a go...HTH!!!

I just turned the clock back and ordered an Edwin Jagger Georgian Imitation Ivory Safety/DE razor. I´ve also started the move to traditional shaving creams by Taylor of Old Bond Street / Truefitt & Hill and the likes.
    And I do it solely because it´s more cumbersome than using modern machines.

Quote Originally Posted by vhild View Post
    I just turned the clock back and ordered an Edwin Jagger Georgian Imitation Ivory Safety/DE razor. I´ve also started the move to traditional shaving creams by Taylor of Old Bond Street / Truefitt & Hill and the likes.
    And I do it solely because it´s more cumbersome than using modern machines.
    There's an enjoyment that comes from being able to relish and anticipate your daily shave as opposed to whipping through it as just another daily ritual. The old school razors, blades, soaps, creams and brushes make it all the more enjoyable.

Currently I use Edwin Jagger's Mach3 handle. Good shaving soaps, creams and brush are more important to me than using double edge razor. I have zero razor burn and the shave is quite good, so no need to change. Although I have to say I totally get the charm of slow and methodological DE shave and will most likely use it more in the future.

Well, it might be that I have to resort to an "ordinary" Mach3 handle on busy mornings. But you cannot have too many razors anyway

I use a Feather RG straight razor with Feather disposable razor blades.

"I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I use double-edge (DE) safety razors. I'm currently using the Muhle 2011 R41 Tooth Comb.
    - James

Mach 3!

Schick ST2 Slim Twin Disposable Razor. Works great and cheap, especially if you do the denim razor extender treatment

I use a electric shaver, a nice Braun one (5887). Whilst electric razors don't give 'as' close a shave as a normal blade, non-electric one, they're better as because of the less closer shave, they prevent/minimize cuts, ingrown hairs and razor burns/bumps which is both irritating and an eyesore.

And if using a normal blade shaver/razor, it's recommended using a single bladed one. Supposedly a single blade one offers a better shave, and as a multiple blade razor pushes the cut hair under the surface of the skin, resulting in problems such as ingrown hairs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AABCDS View Post
    I use double-edge (DE) safety razors. I'm currently using the Muhle 2011 R41 Tooth Comb.
    What do you think of it? I'm considering the purchase of one, but only if I can replace my Merkur 12C with it.
    Last edited by 6of1; 23rd November 2011 at 02:40 AM.
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.

Quote Originally Posted by 6of1 View Post
    What do you think of it? I'm considering the purchase of one, but only if it can replace my Merkur 12C with it.
    I also own it along with the more forgiving Mühle Sophist DE razor (equivalent head wise to the more forgiving brother of the R41 called Mühle R89)

The R41 open tooth comb is also called a rake because it leaves trails of shaving soap/cream on your skin as you shave, sort of like a rake would do on a lawn

Mind you I'm still a DE rookie, started DE shaving in late August, but would add the R41 to my shaving den for the days where I have heavy 4-5-6 days beard growth. The R41 is excellent for this as it really shave closer to the skin, but it's not as forgiving as its brother, the R 89.

R41 gives me really close shaves and I think I'll wait another couple of months before it will be part of my daily routine to use it and it's not for early morning shaves at 05.30 AM where you're in a hurry.
    It needs attention or I'll cut myself with it. A more skilled DE shaver should have no problems with this, as long as you stay focussed during the shave.

Look up R41 + rake + geofatboy on YouTube and you'll see a video of the skilled geofatboy DE shaver using the R41 in his video review of it. Of course he sells it, so he HAS to give it a rave review

But the Mühle R41 Tooth Comb is really an awesome DE razor, as are most of the Mühle/Edwin Jagger DE razors, if not all of them

And no, I'm not a Mühle reseller either - I just like high quality razors !!

I have it with this space saving excellent looking stand:
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Thanks, CHSeifert, that's what I needed to know. I own an R89 as well as two Edwin Jagger razors with the same design. I'm looking for something more aggressive and, from what I've read, the new R41 should do the job.

That stand is great!
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.

Quote Originally Posted by 6of1 View Post
    Thanks, CHSeifert, that's what I needed to know. I own an R89 as well as two Edwin Jagger razors with the same design. I'm looking for something more aggressive and, from what I've read, the new R41 should do the job.

That stand is great!
    Then the R41 is EXACTLY what you want !!

Try it with a more conservative blade like Derby or Gilette 7 O'clock first, then try it with the sharper Feather blade. See what you prefer.

Mühle R41 + a Feather blade = sharp shave, just the step before a straight razor shave IMHO
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

I use Gillette shaving foam and fusion blades that I got from Costco. I do however feel like that after every shave, I get tiny (boils) I don't know how else to explain, its like heat boils but smaller. Am I describing it right? Alsop how to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
    I use Gillette shaving foam and fusion blades that I got from Costco. I do however feel like that after every shave, I get tiny (boils) I don't know how else to explain, its like heat boils but smaller. Am I describing it right? Alsop how to avoid it.
    You should give a good quality DE razor a try - Edwin Jagger, Mühle or Merkur are among the best DE razors on the Market.
    Then get a medium sharp razor blade (Derby or Wilkinson or Gilette 7'O Clock for instance) to start out with and experiment based on that.....

DE shaving is all about bears reduction in 2 or 3 passes and will most likely be the cure against bumps, boils and razor burn once you get dialed in on your preferred razor, blade and brush. Then you have to decide whether shave cream or soap is for you.

You need patience, but after some initial hard work it usually pays off after the first 3-4 months and you will regret the rest of your shaving life why you didn't start using DE and brush at an earlier stage
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

^ Sounds like a classic case of shaving burn, sid369 - AKA Pseudofolliculitis barbae .

How you decide to treat it / avoid it in future is a very personal matter: I'd recommend you consider moving away from canned shaving foams as these offer notoriously poor lubrication and often irritate the skin with all sorts of petroleum based chemicals. Ideally, you could look into making your own shaving lather using a tradition soap or cream and a brush. You might also wish to learn to shave with a single-bladed razor (perhaps a double-edge razor): The fewer the blades, the fewer passes you are making over the skin, and the less the chance of causing irritation.

If you don't fancy going down the 'traditional wet-shaving' route, you could try using an after-shave balm that is specifically formulated to calm the skin and reduce redness / irritation. Definately avoid any products that contain alcohol, as these will only aggravate the problem.

Good preparation before shaving is also key: Make sure you hold a hot flanel to your face before shaving for a good 2 minutes. This will soften your bristles making them easier to cut. This means you don't need to apply such pressure to the razor, which is also a common cause of shaving rash.

After having used DE Wilkinson / Derby blades for a month now, I can testify that "DE safety razors - The best a man can get!"

Gillette Aristocrat or Gillette Fatboy with feather blades. Occasionally I bust out the old Gem razor.

I was tired of buying those hi tech mach 3 or whatever the newest blades are since they are soooo expensive. I made the switch to DE wet shaving and never looked back. Instead of shaving being a chore, I look forward and enjoy the experience. I also save money.

Merkur 34c for me too. I love it. I always shave with a brush and proper soap. I also use a Wilkinson Hydro 5 for when I don't have a lot of time, but I still use brush and soap every time! (Currently using Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Soap Lavender! Awesome!)

Edwin Jagger DE Razor Lined Chrome Plated DE89L

Quote Originally Posted by sacredsystem View Post
    Edwin Jagger DE Razor Lined Chrome Plated DE89L
    Got that one too recently.