Code of Conduct
    tobydear

Default Best moisturizer for oily skin

I like Clinique (not the new products in the men's range) but am always looking for alternatives. Should be unscented, without lanolin and shea butter.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Toby

Default Re: Best moisturizer for oily skin

yep

the CLINIQUE GEL STANDARD is GIANTLY GREAT not the one for men.

No shine and for sure no grease at all I promise you on that one cause that was my problem for years

laurent
    Invisible Power

Trumpers coral (rose) skin food is excellent

a water based gel type of moisturizer is suited for you.. as far as dermatologists are concerned here in the philippines... celeteque facial moisturizer is what is frequently prescribed... i am just not surte if it tis readily available in your country

I like Aveda's All Sensitive Moisturizer. Very matte and very inexpensive.
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

Well, if you are looking for a liquid lotion, the new Shiseido Men's Hydrating Lotion is excellent. It has a very fresh clean scent. It can be used as an aftershave or to freshen up the skin. I think it's perfect for extremely oily types. If your skin is more acne prone, Clinique's Night Treatment Gel is fabulous. Remember to wear this with their gel sunscreen. Their gel sunscreen is also very nice for oilier skin types as opposed to a lotion or cream sunscreen. Lancome's Aqua Fusion is also great for oily skin. It's very lightweight and has a pleasant smell.

Alot is going to depend on your skin's needs and any concerns you have for your skin. Common sense, check to see if it's oil free. Also, try to avoid moisturizers that are rich in fatty acids like myristic acid, lauric acid, benzoic acid, etc. These can clog up your pores just as much as an oil based moisturizer.

wanderer

Hi Chinky,

Thanks for the advice. Don't the products that you recommend contain too much alcohol (especially the Shiseido)?

W

I may be mistaken, but the Shiseido Hydrating lotion is alcohol free. If there is a delivery alcohol, any drying effects are negated by the glycerin in the product. The other products contain SD alcohol, but a common belief is that SD alcohol is drying to the skin. SD alcohol evaporates very quickly, so it's used as a carrier for other products. This is better for oilier skin types. Carriers like PEG emollients and Glyceryl Sterates are better for drier skin.

Many people claim that they have oily skin, when in fact they are normal or combination. It is also possible to be oily and at the same time have skin that is dehydrated. If your skin is truely oily (shiny all over at an early hour in the day, not tight or dry after cleansing, large pores, dewy texture) then none of these products should be a problem.

A common belief is that oily skin types need an additional moisturizer. If you are truely oily, you would never want to put a cream or lotion on the skin. Not only will this clog the pores, but it will make the skin even shinier. The skin's own sebum is one of the best moisturizers around. The trick is to controlling excess sebum. This can be done with a product with hydroxy acid, matifying product, a mask, or even powder. Also, most of the skin's hydration should be internal. Getting a daily intake of at least 6 glasses of water should suffice. Avoid caffeinated beverages, sugary drinks, and alcoholic beverages and your skin should not be dehydrated (if you are oily).

Also, alot that has to factor into your skincare regimen is your skin's condition. The skin of an 18 year old boy is definitely very different from that of say a 55 year old woman. If your skin his a lower vitality, then it would most likely need a product like a heavier moisturizer. All a moisturizer does is prevent further moisture loss. These products essentially create a barrier over the skin, because they are not readily absorbed through multiple layers of skin.

Ideally, the skin should be cleansed gently and thoroughly with a product that respects the moisture balance of the skin. Tone afterwards, but in my opinion toner is a big gimmick of the cosmetics and skincare world. Follow with an appropriate treatment, whether it be a product with hydroxy acid, a light sunscreen, or a lotion or cream.

In my opinion, less is more. The less you put on your skin, the better. Also, your skincar routine may change on a daily basis. Your skin could change depending on weather conditions, your diet, stress, etc. Personally, I wash my face with gentle foam cleanser with salicylic acid to help promote exfoliation and to prevent breakouts. If I shave, then I exfoliate first with some baking soda in my cleanser. Aftershaving I use Shiseido's Hydrating lotion and then follow with a gel sunscreen. At night I cleanse, use a mask about twice a week, and then follow with a treatment gel with salicylic acid.

Remember though, everybody's skin is different! What works for me may not be appropriate for someone else. Basically you want to "listen" to your skin. Look for signs of dehydration, stress, or oiliness. Also look for signs of dulling and sallowness, this could mean your skin needs some exfoliation. Whatever product you use, always follow a basic regimen, cleanse, optimize, and protect.

wanderer

follow with a treatment gel with salicylic acid. *

Thanks again, what is that product you use?

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer
    follow with a treatment gel with salicylic acid. *

Thanks again, what is that product you use?
    It's Night Treatment Gel by Clinique. I love it. It's light although it can feel a little sticky when applying, but it dries very nicely. You just need a small amount, a little bigger than a dime for the whole face. Just warm up and emulsify on the fingertips first. It can be used during the daytime, just make sure to use sunscreen with it.

wanderer

Thanks, Chinky!

Like somebody said before, Shisheido Hydrating Tonique is pretty good. I also like Lab Series by Aramis Trifecta. Biotherm T-Pur and/or Age Fitness is another excellent product.

You might want to try Zirh, I was surprised on how good Zirh products are. As soon as I finished my bottle of Trifecta I'm going to try Zirh Protect and Serum. I love Zirh Clean,Scrub,Body Bar. Can't wait to try their moisturizers.
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

Please try Estee Lauder "Clear Difference Advanced Oil Control Hydrator"
    It is not a "made for men" product... but the fragrance is fresh and the results are amazing.
    I used it in 2000, and CHANGED my skin (the packaging says it has molecules that help diminish the production of oil in your skin with continuous use) It worked for me...
    BUT as I always say.. the best product is the one that works for YOU...
    Every skin's chemistry is different..perhaps you get by fabulously with oil of olay and shiseido's fantastically expensive (and good for someone else) cream doesn't work at all for you.
    Some five years later I still use it from time to time... also try Roc's Hydra+ line, like all Roc product's it is great.

Check this out - this Kenzoki fluid is not oily, it's light, fresh moisturizer.

http://www.kenzoki.com/ki_en/ki_en.html

With all due respect!! *I have to add my 2 cents here

Oily skin needs a moisturizer. *Especially a good moisturizer with sunscreen. *Every morning, no question. *It has to be oil free!.....and preferrably unscented. *Oily skin and the problems it causes can be due to excessive drying and irritation to pores. *Big mistake for those who are acne prone. *More irritation equals more break-outs. *There are more than a few moisturizers on the market now that actually REDUCE oil production of the skin. *

Depending on your age, you can choose a moisturizing agent that has age fighting properties such as retinol, peptides, etc........oil reducing properties, or regular moisture. *

No matter the age, sunscreen RULES. *Gotta have it.

Anyone tried Zirh Defend ?

I have good result with it and no oily.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnolia View Post
    With all due respect!! *I have to add my 2 cents here

Oily skin needs a moisturizer. *Especially a good moisturizer with sunscreen. *Every morning, no question. *It has to be oil free!.....and preferrably unscented. *Oily skin and the problems it causes can be due to excessive drying and irritation to pores. *Big mistake for those who are acne prone. *More irritation equals more break-outs. *There are more than a few moisturizers on the market now that actually REDUCE oil production of the skin. *

Depending on your age, you can choose a moisturizing agent that has age fighting properties such as retinol, peptides, etc........oil reducing properties, or regular moisture. *

No matter the age, sunscreen RULES. *Gotta have it.
    Listen to her, good advice. Here's what I use:

I only use very small dabs on the chin, under the eyes and in the T-zone. A jar lasts me 3 months or longer. No SPF but this is the ideal product in my case.

Because I have the same problem, I follow a system. I use Ole Henriksen African Red Tea Cleanser daily, mainly since it has no sodium lauryl sulfate. That stuff is death to facial skin. I use a face scrub 1 or 2 times a week, and use Ole Henriksen Grease Relief Tonic after shaving, adding more Witch Hazel to it as well. I experience the best results this way, and the key is to not overdo the moisturizer.

4 years too late ?
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    4 years too late ?
    Never seems to fail I don't pay attention to the date until after posting! Hey, it's still good advice!

My brother and I both have oily skin, but I can use powdered make-up! He has happily used Dermalogica products for oily skin. As a result, little brother looks great and not oily. We both use simple witch hazel as a toner. Using masks and keeping pores clear are important. You may have blocked pores and not acne.

While I cannot give any significantly useful recommendations on this board, I am actually also in need of an advice on this matter

Because, though my skin predominantly oily, even with a pronounced tendency towards fattening, both the skin of my face and of my body tend to dry out and/or get irritated on a superficial level, so I do need something more purifying and moisturizing for my skin without having a dehydrating effect

Clinique M Gel for Men

DeepSilence

Aven by Pierre Fabre

sunflower oil/coconut oil

My skin is normal to oily and to me, Men-u Ultra Concentrate Matt Moisturiser works perfectly.

Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion

(2141)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Menscience Advanced Face Lotion

Hey friend,According to me that different people like the different moisturizer for the oily skin but it is the best source for cure the oily skin.Personally i like ayurvedic moisturizer is the best for oily skin issues.

Brienshamp Boot Camp
    Last edited by Acton; 4th January 2014 at 11:12 AM.
    Brien shamp
    248 Harbor Blvd, Belmont, CA 94002, United States
    +1 650-654-4604

Ernest supplies matte moisturizer.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Portmouth View Post
    Not sure, but I think in this situation with such kind of problems that would be a good idea to adjust some kind of diet maybe? Have you thought about that? Also there are various creams you can try and find out the way to use them for ex. pure chimp products.
    Also that worth to visit a doctor with this problem.
    Totally agree on the diet!
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Quote Originally Posted by Portmouth View Post
    Not sure, but I think in this situation with such kind of problems that would be a good idea to adjust some kind of diet maybe? Have you thought about that? Also there are various creams you can try and find out the way to use them for ex. pure chimp products.
    Also that worth to visit a doctor with this problem.
    Do you sell 'pure chimp products'? - as your posts do seem to promote them a lot...

The Original Poster has had three sets of people over nearly nine years trying to answer his question.

And not one word of feedback that entire time.

Isn't an oily skin pretty much naturally moisturized anyway?
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Isn't an oily skin pretty much naturally moisturized anyway?
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Precisely! No 'Pure Chimp' nor other kidology products required.

The All Sensitive Moistureizer sounds intriguing. I may try it.

Recently tried the Recipe For Men Anti-Shine Moisturizer. It's pricey, but awesome. Recommended.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400904997.961900.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm currently using Biotherm Homme T-Pur for my oily skin.

Twinlab Na-PCA spray with Aloe Vera. It is the consistency of water, yet is a powerful moisturizer. And like the name suggests, it sprays on. It's the only moisturizer I use on my face, with the addition of eye cream.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossa Nova View Post
    Twinlab Na-PCA spray with Aloe Vera. It is the consistency of water, yet is a powerful moisturizer. And like the name suggests, it sprays on. It's the only moisturizer I use on my face, with the addition of eye cream.
    What a great recommendation - for any kind of skin. It can even be used over makeup during the day.
    "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see." -Benjamin Franklin

Look for water-based moisturizer - they are generally good for oily facial skin. I use any water-based moisturizers and they don't feel heavy. My skin doesn't oil up as well.