Code of Conduct

Default Removing a long term beard... any tips?

I'm 33. I've had a mustache since I was 13, and a goatee since I was 20. Neither has ever been shaved off. In other words, I've had facial hair for well over half my life.

I have no idea how I will look as an adult clean shaven, so in the spirit of experimentation, I'm finally about to take it all off. I may grow it back in a month. I may never grow it back. Who can say? But I do suspect that there are ways in which shaving off a beard one has had for more than a decade is different than shaving off a beard one has had for a few months.

Has anyone on this board undertaken the removal of such a long-held beard? Any tips about how to care for the newly exposed skin with a minimum of damage and breaking out? I already have a pretty aggressive shaving routine (pre-shave moisturizers, after-shave skin care, etc.), but any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Default Re: Removing a long term beard... any tips?

Several years ago, I shaved off a beard that I'd had for 23 years. There really weren't any problems. Just use a good aftershave balm and be prepared to stare at the "stranger" in the mirror.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Removing a long term beard... any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by gruffydd3
    Several years ago, I shaved off a beard that I'd had for 23 years. There really weren't any problems. Just use a good aftershave balm and be prepared to stare at the "stranger" in the mirror.
    Rick
    I second that. After 6 years mine came off without any problems. Enjoy the new look!
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)