Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: BEST UNSCENTED DEODORANT?

Nature's Gate. It's all natural, none of that aluminum oxide stuff, and yet it works! The best part is that one stick has lasted over a year. It's stupid crazy how good this stuff is!
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Blog Entries

I think, to a certain degree, one needs to experiment to see which product works best for you. I say this because some of the deodorant/antiperspirants just don't work for me. I think body chemistry plays a role with which ones will work for a person. Sure unscented seems to work best for me.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 5th July 2010 at 06:35 AM.

Almay unscented (comes in a gel form). Works well and has no fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by bernat View Post
    Warning: Tom's of Maine unscented was terrible. I don't know if it's my body chemistry or if it's just no good, but I swear it actually made me smell worse and sweat more. I wrote a letter to Tom's and they kindly agreed to refund it, so I'm still a fan of Tom's (just not the deodorant).
    Same thing here with Tom's; my mom uses that too and I swear it only makes her smell worse during summer here in Florida. Go with an AXE dry deodorant that matches your cologne. The Old Spice fresh collection smells great and doesn't project so it won't interfere with your fragrance. Plus, if you're not sure if you put it on, you can do a sniff test 24 hrs after putting it on, the fragrance (I use Denali, I find it to be the most neutral) has disappeared, but it is still working and I have no odour.

That Tom's "unscented" does have a bit of a smelll. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but it's a little funky and I can see how some might not like it. Plus I'm not so sure it worked that well.

Update on the Alum block, it's been months and this stuff works great.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by ikkitosennomusha View Post
    Nothing beats Mitchum inscented!!! I use the clear gel.
    Agreed, and I also recommend Mitchum unscented.
    themodernguy.com

I tried Odaban once and I'm still using it. Works great, unscented and the fact that you use it only 1-2 times a week makes it a great product. However the aluminium worries me a bit though.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    I have using Dove original clean which, has very little scent, so much so that I have never perceived any adverse contamination of whatever fragrance I wear and it really keeps me dry and odorless. I will have to try some of the suggestions made on this thread. As usual, diversity of experience, as share here on Base Notes, widens one's horizon.
    Me too. I like Dove very much. 3 USD.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and ConcentrÚ d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cool Re: BEST UNSCENTED DEODORANT?

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    Well, deodorant or antiperspirant? Personally I think it's unpleasant having large wet patches on shirts, even if they're odourless!. So I don't use deodorants. I do use Clinique Unscented Antiperspirant which comes as a nice environmentally friendly stick and keeps me dry as well as, one hopes, pleasant...
    True. Helluva bill at the dry cleaners too, and more often than not they can't get the stains out anyway.

Which is probably why, as liquid observed above, there's currently three threads on this topic

First solution: a deodorant. It's supposed to suppress smell. If you really want to go uptown with this, use Mitchum's unscented roll on gel and then shoot one spray of your SOTD on each armpit. Don't cringe. The gel will keep 90+% of the alcohol from stinging. No burning sensation at all AND you've just applied fragrance at one, if not the, hottest pulse point of the body. Bet you it'll last all day . . .Does this sound scientifically sound or just gross? It should work, you know.

Second solution: an anti-perspirant. I'm currently trying Certain-Dri. I'll see if it works. the label says it's " Doctor recommended prescription strength. " ( one wonders if it cures warts, too. ) More to the point it's an OTC roll-on for all the ad copy throwing the word " prescription " about. More to the point still, the active ingredient is ALUMINUM CHLORIDE 12%.

Could this be the active ingredient in most of the anti-perspirants named here?

Third solution: Google "underarm stains" and you'll get a bunch of strange solutions, not excluding applying vinegar to one's armpits the night before. I haven't found an acupuncture needle recommendation yet--but I'm sure it's out there in www land.

Best Solution?: Winter, undershirts, air conditioned cars, air conditioned offices, fans-- and how about getting in great aerobic condition?
    You'll still sweat. Everyone does under some circumstances but if you're close to being a champion marathon runner, I'll bet that--while your running T-shirts are dripping wet, your office dress shirts will be far drier than the rest of us. Provided that you get a good night's sleep and don't stress--or as they say here, in the desert heat of LA hipspeak:

" Don't sweat the small stuff. "

Cheers, ( God it's almost October and it' still scorching hot! Monday we're scheduled for 97 F )

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I was having breakouts using the popular deodorants and asked a dermatologist about it. He sent me to a store that solid natural products to get Thai Mineral Deodorant. It was a solid block about 1 inch wide. I started using it daily after showers in January '10 and still have over half of it left. No breakouts and no odor whatsoever. For around $6 it was the deal of a lifetime. I would have spent that much every couple months with regular deodorant.

Quote Originally Posted by scenteur7 View Post
    What do ya'all recommend for an unscented deodorant...I really liked Axe's products, but don't wanna mix scents!

There are so many to choose from, and the all-natural crystals are kind of a pain to use, especially when in a rush - SUGGESTIONS?

marlen
    japan/usa

if you really like axe/lynx...the scent that would go well with anything since it doesn't project...would have to be "sharp focus"
    it's a light musky mint.

Quote Originally Posted by rlb2444 View Post
    I was having breakouts using the popular deodorants and asked a dermatologist about it. He sent me to a store that solid natural products to get Thai Mineral Deodorant. It was a solid block about 1 inch wide. I started using it daily after showers in January '10 and still have over half of it left. No breakouts and no odor whatsoever. For around $6 it was the deal of a lifetime. I would have spent that much every couple months with regular deodorant.
    Same with me.

I have had breakouts with the Mitchum and Arm and Hammer unscented and finally went to the crystal.

Not sure what the OP was talking about it being a pain to use. I run it under the faucet, and then apply. Pretty easy to me and works great. I'm a big guy and sweat a fair amount, but it doesn't smell. I wear an undershirt, and using the crystal I no longer get the stains, which I must assume are a byproduct of the bacteria.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

Quote Originally Posted by kanundra View Post
    Agreed, and I also recommend Mitchum unscented.
    This is what I use

The new Dove for Men Unscented is a great new product. Right there with Mitchum.

I'm on Team Mitchum.

I just bought

Lets see how it goes
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

I ran out of Mitchum unscented gel--which most certainly does have a scent--but have been too lazy to go purchase something (else) again.

However, I did find a half-used Crystal clear deodorant in my closet and have been using that now to reasonable effect. It feels so ephemeral going on that I still can't shake the feeling this is an Emperor's New Clothes-type trick; that I, as well as millions of Americans, have been duped and am in fact applying no deodorant at all.

Two quite affordable deodorant brands (of course, more expensive than regular generic antiperspirants and deodorants, but comparatively good price-quality ratio in relation to their reliability, their duration of use, their skin tolerability) are the two Euro brands: Hydro Fugal and Bekra Mineral, tested both of them, both very efficient and very soothing, even to more sensitive skin types, and neither of the two are clashing with the fragrance worn

Default Re: unscented deodorant?

Mitchum power gel use to be the best there was; then they changed the active ingredient and now it doesn't work at all for me any more, and has a funny smell to it.

Right now I use Speed Stick unscented. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by timmytucker View Post
    Right now I use Speed Stick unscented. Works great.
    Also used this at times in the past and it worked well for me too.

I live in a tropical city, with over 90% humidity and temperatures over 95 in the Summer. Speed Stick doesn't work that well for me. I use unscented Sure and it works perfectly. Only drawback is that it has that white residue, which I really don't care about.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Those "crystals" also contain aluminum salts in the form of potassium aluminum sulfate. Most people think they are avoiding aluminum when using these products, but they are not. If that's the reason you are using them, you should probably switch to something else. (I think many people just think they're convenient, and that's an excellent reason to use them.)

I'm not sure the hysteria around aluminum is really justified. There is not a peer-reviewed medical study that is conclusive. I use the Menscience product because it works 90% as well as an anti-perspirant for me and also happens to contain no aluminum. That seems win-win to me.

Just letting you all know, Mitchum changed its active ingredient for the clear gel and the roll on. It now contains Aluminum Sesquichlorohydrate 25% instead of 20% Aluminium zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly.

It does not work at all for me. I am wet and smell all day long. Not to mention it stains your shirts horribly. It went from being the best to the absolute worst. And it reeks now.

Their smart solid and invisible solid line have the old formula still. Too bad the invisible solid doesn't come in unscented. I read bad reviews on the smart solid that the stick fell apart.

I go between Speed stick unscented and arrid unscented.

Mitchum unscented

I've tried lots of anti persperants and regular deoderants and honestly Mitchum's power gel has been the best yet. Normally I put on deo/AP and 7 hours later I got garlic/onion pits, but with Mitchum I can go 12-18(dep. on activity) hours before the BO starts.

The best unscented deodorant ever was Sure Max unscented clinical antiperspirant/deodorant. It has since been discontinued, but you can track it down the same way you can find a bottle of pre-reformulation YSL M7. Sure Max goes for about $20 a unit now as it has developed a rather mythic reputation.

I picked up a boxful for $1 a piece when it was discontinued and regret not picking up every last unit while I had the chance. My supply lasted me about a year and I didn't realize how good it was until I tried to replace it. It rocks. (This is the type that comes out a thick cream and you apply it before you go to sleep at night and then are good to go, showers and all, for the next 24hrs.)

Nothing else, including the other "clinical" versions of the major brands, comes close.

Right Guard Total Defense Power Gel