Code of Conduct

Default Misbehaving facial hair

Sometimes my moustache/beard gets out of control.
    I have Clubman Moustache Wax (neutral) and it doesn't seem to help.

Any recommendations for facial hair that misbehaves?
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Misbehaving facial hair

Shave it off?!

Quote Originally Posted by jacona
    Shave it off?!    
    That would work.... Ah, my GF would kill me.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK

That would work.... Ah, my GF would kill me.
    We wouldn't want that, would we?! ;D

Hmmm
    Let it grown really long 'til you look like a mountain man then unruliness is just part of the look!  

Try a beard trimmer, sometimes you just need to trim the wild hairs.

Or pluck the errant ones out with the tweezers; it'll hurt, but who cares!

Of course you could shave and just find a new girlfriend! ;D    

Obviously facial hair isn't my forte, but my dad used to have a beard and no one else came up with any ideas.

Default Re:  Misbehaving facial hair

Quote Originally Posted by jacona
    Let it grown really long 'til you look like a mountain man then unruliness is just part of the look!  

Try a beard trimmer, sometimes you just need to trim the wild hairs.

Or pluck the errant ones out with the tweezers

I do these three things with my sideburns - grow them out, trim, pluck the odd ugly one - do this, you'll look like the guy in the Rive Gauche ad

I have a thick goatee and it gets out of control on humid days and such. I use this stuff called Xtah crude clay modeler - it's a really thick modeling paste/clay, you get a tiny little amount and rub it into a thin layer on your hand and apply it to your facial hair and comb it and it it keeps it held fairly well in place. Before I found this stuff I was a mess!

where can you purchase xtah?

just use a hair gel or pomade.....it is meant for hair ;D thats what I use on my beard.

~kern

Default Beard/Moustache Trimmers

I am in the market for a new beard/moustache trimmer. What's the best model out right now? I saw one at the store the other day with a vacuum feature. Are those just a gimmick or do they work?

I keep a goatee and one of the best things you can do is adjust the length to fit your facial hair. When it gets too long it can start to go wherever it pleases. Keep facial hair trimmed to a managable length and keep a small and very fine toothed comb in your wallet or pocket and keep it in line. Eventually you will "trair" your facial hair to behave itself. stay away from pomades on your face, the hair on your face as you well know is an entirely different beast than that on your head. pomade is only going to clog your pores and not control the courser hair of your face.

I have a goatee and I've found that, unless it's stubbly short, it's quite hard to control. As someone said above, facial hair is so much coarser than head hair - you have to approach the grooming issue in an entirely different way. But I have had adequate success using the following approach:
    wet the hair with warm/hot water to totally saturate it. This will soften the hair and make it easier comb and shape. When it's almost dry, I comb some body lotion throught it. This will keep the hair soft and the slight oiliness/gunk factor of the lotion will help with the control issue. It also seems to "plump" up the hair, making the overall beard look thicker, healthier and more luxurious. Let's face it - facial hair dries out much more easily than head hair, and is more prone to getting split ends. Choose a fragrance-, lanoline- and titanium dioxide-free lotion. Titanium dioxide is an particulate additive they put in some lotions to make them opaque white (and act as a sunscreen). But it just makes your facial hair look like it's full of dandruff. I tend to avoid head hair products for the same reason. They usually leave some sort of particulate residue that makes my goatee look like it's full of dandruff.
    For those few stray hairs that just won't comb into place (bending up rather than bening in, or whatever), I simply trim them with some grooming scissors. Often, if the hair is going AWOL, it's about to fall out anyway.

G