Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Post eBay Fragrance Seller Feedback here!

Seller azsmells on ebay is great
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    Did you know that it's possible for sellers to change the listing after the sale to conceal fraud?

well, it is, the rep I just chatted with told me if happens often, "especially from overseas"

if you are ordering something that could have been knocked off, I suggest downloading the page for your records!
    Wow, I thought that eBay would have fixed such a gaping hole! That is crazy.
    Thanks for the info, supermarky. I'll be sure to do the same in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Question eBay seller w/1 feedback selling Lutens bell jars? Do you know fleur-de-lisa-perfumes

Hey everyone,

I have an eBay related question! I saw other eBay posts in this subforum, so I hope that this is the appropriate place for it. Mods, please move if it belongs in another subforum.

I just saw several auctions on eBay for brand-new bell jars from Lutens such as Borneo, MKK, Chergui, Chene, Cuir Mauresque, and Un Bois Sepia. They are CRAZY expensive, with no buy-it-now option and bidding starting at $193 for a six-day auction. (I got my bottle of MKK for much, MUCH less than that). I was tempted to bid, but then I saw some things that raised red flags.

I sent an email to the seller, but I wanted to see if anyone knew why they changed to a new seller ID, or what her seller ID was beforehand (I'm assuming that the seller is a she from what her feedback said). Nothing on toolhaus.org shows up because the seller has a brand-new seller ID.
    1. The seller has only one feedback
    2. The seller joined about a week ago (Feb. 6, 2007)
    3. However, the seller has 69 items up for sale even though they just joined. Judging by the sheer number of items, it seems to me like this person has been on eBay as a seller before.
    4. The buyer who left the one feedback (which gives the seller 100% positive rating) said, "Fantastic seller! Have purchased from her for many years. ALWAYS perfection!" (item 180084471760).
    5. My question is...why would an established eBay seller switch to a new seller name?
    6. And why should I feel comfortable sending >$200 to someone with no track record? Also...the site states that the purchase is only covered by PayPal up to $200. Is that normal?
    Anyway...I don't know if I'm being paranoid or not, but I was just curious to see what everyone else thought, and if anyone has dealt with this seller before. As much as I want another bell jar of Lutens, I also don't want to send money into oblivion.

What do you guys think? or ?

Default Re: eBay seller w/1 feedback selling Lutens bell jars? Do you know fleur-de-lisa-perfumes

I approached this as if it were one of Twolfs Teasers

I don't think you will have to worry about the seller: this is 'lisalaw'. She was suspended by eBay because she sold decants of Bond (but she was not the only one!) and the firm did not like that and complained.

Here is the most important link on MUA about the change of name:

http://www.makeupalley.com/board/m.a...ywords=lisalaw

She seems very much respected and when you do a board search on the Fragrance Board on MUA for 'lisalaw', you can read every post about her.

About the price for bell jars from Lutens: maybe it is better to contact someone in Europe. The bell jars are sold for 100 Euro and shipping to an Eropean address is an additional 14 Euro.

If I remember correctly we have a member here, rotkappchen in Italy, who can buy the bell jars. Maybe a good thing to ask her what her prices are.

Good luck dear
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: eBay seller w/1 feedback selling Lutens bell jars? Do you know fleur-de-lisa-perf

Riannon,
    Thank you! I have heard MANY, MANY good things about Lisalaw. She sounds great!

Anyway...WHY is it wrong to sell decants of Bond? That's asinine. I can't believe she got kicked off for doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon
    I approached this as if it were one of Twolfs Teasers

I don't think you will have to worry about the seller: this is 'lisalaw'. She was suspended by eBay because she sold decants of Bond (but she was not the only one!) and the firm did not like that and complained.

Here is the most important link on MUA about the change of name:

http://www.makeupalley.com/board/m.a...ywords=lisalaw

She seems very much respected and when you do a board search on the Fragrance Board on MUA for 'lisalaw', you can read every post about her.

About the price for bell jars from Lutens: maybe it is better to contact someone in Europe. The bell jars are sold for 100 Euro and shipping to an Eropean address is an additional 14 Euro.

If I remember correctly we have a member here, rotkappchen in Italy, who can buy the bell jars. Maybe a good thing to ask her what her prices are.

Good luck dear

Default Creedirect

I've dealt with this ebayer before and i've always been pleased with the product. Well I just recently bought some creed GIT shower gel. There was a really good deal...buy one, get one free.

Well that was two weeks ago, and I haven't seen it yet, nor have I gotten a response.

I was just wondering if anybody here had the same experience with this ebayer?
    To Whom Much Is Given...Much Is Required

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Creedirect

I have.

There was another thread with similar shared experiences. I believe we were all satisfied in the end.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't that the Bond No. 9 chick? Also, are they pretty much the cheapest prices you'll find for Creed frags? If not, I'd like to know who is cheaper..

I bought some stuff from her about the same you did, haven't heard a thing from her either.

But that is what various threads here said to expect sometimes. No one has said anything bad about her, other than commenting on occasional slowness/silence. I'm just waiting it out - in no particular hurry.

Post Thanks / Like

When I bought my Himalaya from her she answered all my e-mails and even e-mailed me when she got my money order and e-mailed me when she shipped it out. Don't worry your going to get it, it takes time but in the long run the prices are so worth it.
    Looking for Partial or Full Bottles Of:
    Silver Mountain Water
    Green Irish Tweed
    Scent of Peace

PM me please.

Post Thanks / Like

Gents,
    Basenotes isn't an eBay feedback forum. EBay itself has a feedback mechanism and Basenotes members who use eBay should use it.
    Thanks,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: eBay seller w/1 feedback selling Lutens bell jars? Do you know fleur-de-lisa-perf

Quote Originally Posted by linnea
    Riannon,
    Thank you! I have heard MANY, MANY good things about Lisalaw. She sounds great!

Anyway...WHY is it wrong to sell decants of Bond? That's asinine. I can't believe she got kicked off for doing that.
    Well, believe it! It seems other sellers had the same problem but were lucky enough to get a warning before they were suspended.
    Bond simply does not want people to buy decants or samples from eBay, it seems.

In a way Jo Malone is as paranoid when it comes to their official samples. Two years ago I bought a bottle of EDT at Jo Malone's and they simply refused to give me a sample because: "We don't give people samples, they will be sold on eBay"

Some companies fail to understand that many people want to try a sample or decant before purchasing a full bottle.
    Let's be grateful that Serge Lutens does not act like Bond
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Default Re: eBay seller w/1 feedback selling Lutens bell jars? Do you know fleur-de-lisa-perfumes

lisalaw is a great seller for these sample sets she sells, which I think are worth the price for the work involved for her.

but if you want bell jars why not work something out with an EU basenoter? $190+ is too much to pay for a bell jar.

have it delivered to someone then they can forward it to you in exchange for some kind of payment: decants or bottles or cash or even a decant from the bell jar.
    --------------------------------------
    ironic that the bond folks would be concerned about someone selling decants when they are selling creed bottles at cut rate prices. pretty short sighted of them, and certainly fits the "you pay by a certain date, we'll deliver when we bloody well feel like it" mentality.
    Last edited by supermarky; 15th February 2007 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

She is spotty with the e-mails, she hasen't responded to two I sent two weeks back, but I did recieve my bottle. Hang in there!

Post Thanks / Like

I started the former thread on creedirect (I believe if you search under "Trouble contacting creedirect" you'll find it), so I'll give you the rundown/consensus and save us the time and save Chris the headache of monitoring the thread:

You'll get your package. It might take two days, it might take two months. She responds to email on "Creedirect Time." That means you could get a response in minutes, hours, weeks, or never. But, she hasn't forgotten. You'll get it... eventually... and it will be well packed and maybe even loaded with extra goodies.

My initial concern in my thread was that something had happened to her or that she was ill, in which case I didn't want to make an issue over something not her fault.

But, the short answer is, WAIT! It will arrive, as did my package... weeks later. Read her feedback and many say the same thing "Great prices, authentic product, won't respond to email." She's not ill, she's not forgotten your order, she's just a New Yorker on "Creedirect Time."
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Gents,
    Basenotes isn't an eBay feedback forum. EBay itself has a feedback mechanism and Basenotes members who use eBay should use it.
    Thanks,
    --Chris
    The eBay feedback system is very flawed. I had a different seller account before and left negative feedback for someone who deserved it and they left me negative feedback for no reason. I complained to ebay and they never did anything about it. I have a different seller account now and I am always afraid to leave negative feedback for anyone even if they deserve it because I don't want negative feedback in return and ruin my own reputation.

I think this discussion board is for anything related to fragrances including good and bad experiences with fragrance sellers. It is very helpful to learn if other people had bad or good experiences with a seller. I made a large order with a company recently who has a good rating on BBB.com yet I never received my order and filed a formal complaint. If other Basenoters on this board had problems with this same website I would have loved to know before I placed my order.

As for creeddirect, they do take a long time but you should get your order. I've emailed Claire about it and she said she gets really busy and she did tell me a few weeks ago she hired someone recently to help her with her orders
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Has anyone ever dealt with Eve's Perfume Paradise or evylabellevie?

Post Thanks / Like

While I definitely support people's concerns about the many questionable Ebay sellers, and I've also taken note of the excellent sellers mentioned here, I'd like to make a rare exception from my usual complaining about sellers:

I've been using the excellent Toolhaus.org tool to check sellers, and while doing so today I found a couple cases where the buyers appear to be the jerks.

In several cases, upon reading the feedback and carefully reading the listings, it seems to me that people may be expecting full bottles when the ad does show very small amounts. It's hard to tell for sure, because the feedback is often angry without being particularly precise, but the frequent misspellings do not inspire confidence in the buyers' brainpower.

Sadly, 1.5 ml is not the same as 1.5 oz. I guess suggesting that someone read carefully isn't helpful when the person has no reading comprehension or understanding of measurements.

Just had a very good experience with fragrancealley. I'd buy from them again.

I purchased from Creedirect 3 times , first 2 purchases were fine, no problems with product or service.
    The 3rd was missing about 25% of juice & the bottle was CORKED (and leaky)...the auction was for a unused SPRAY edp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424 View Post
    I purchased from Creedirect 3 times , first 2 purchases were fine, no problems with product or service.
    The 3rd was missing about 25% of juice & the bottle was CORKED (and leaky)...the auction was for a unused SPRAY edp.
    LOL! You're kiddin' me! It literally had a cork in it? So...they took the sprayer off and stuck a cork in it? Oy. Now I've heard it all. Unbelievable nerve. I myself, bought one bottle from Creedirect and they sent it right away. But, then I heard all the horror stories of waiting for weeks with no communication or replies to emails and I decided I just can't deal with people like that. Now after hearing this little gem I know for certain I won't be dealing with them again. The only think I want corked is my wine, thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by GraySwan View Post
    LOL! You're kiddin' me! It literally had a cork in it? So...they took the sprayer off and stuck a cork in it? Oy. Now I've heard it all. Unbelievable nerve. I myself, bought one bottle from Creedirect and they sent it right away. But, then I heard all the horror stories of waiting for weeks with no communication or replies to emails and I decided I just can't deal with people like that. Now after hearing this little gem I know for certain I won't be dealing with them again. The only think I want corked is my wine, thank you very much!
    I was horrified, it was missing 25% & corked like wine!!...then I started to wonder if my other purchases from that store were fake
    After 2 weeks, I just got a response that she'll send a new bottle, but I'm turned off to the scent now. UHG! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!
    I'll keep the Paypal dispute open until the new bottle arrives...just in case...

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Re: Post eBay Fragrance Seller Feedback here!

I thought I had posted this several hours ago. Hmmmm...

Creedirect seems to have had nothing for sale on her eBay site for the past couple of weeks.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

UPDATE ON THE CREED: A new bottle arrived (perfect condition) and a packet of Bond No. 9 bon-bons was added along with a nice apology note .
    I do think that was very nice of her, I have had some very nasty sellers who REALLY, REALLLY do not care about the buyers. It took a month, but she came through in the end.

I am a bit put off to the scent now, unfortunately

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Post eBay Fragrance Seller Feedback here!

Recently there has been a flurry of posts on MUA regarding an eBay seller named Polkadotpatty ~ NOT to be confused with our own wonderful PepperPatty/Peppermintpatty. It started last night with a post noting an auction for a set of unused vintage Lanvin fragrances. In response to the original post, a member brought to the readers' attention that the same seller had recently purchased identical EMPTY Lanvin bottles. Further investigation brought to light that Polkadotpatty sells many incredible vintage fragrance, most "sealed with wax". This seller also buys large quantities of Parafilm and essential oils. A look at his buying/selling history brought to light a pattern of him buying empty vintage bottles, and then selling the exact same vintage bottle as unused, full of rare perfume and sealed with wax
    I have no direct experience with this seller but it may be a good idea to be very careful if you are planning a purchase from him. A board search of polkadotpatty on MUA will lead you to discussions and many links to suspicious eBay sales.

Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post
    Has anyone ever dealt with Eve's Perfume Paradise or evylabellevie?
    I have - no trouble there at all.

I recently got a bottle of Guet Apens from Giamma72 (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZgiamma.72QQhtZ-1). It took a while to get here and was a bit tricky to find out when she'd posted it because English isn't her first language...but when it arrived, I was delighted. It's the genuine article, was still sealed in the cellophane and had the white outer box too. It's stayed completely stable over the ten years or so since it was made too. Hurrah! She seems to have quite a few bottles of it.

I'd like to echo what some other people were saying here - I find eBay's feedback scheme completely unreliable and would much prefer to be able to come to a thread like this. A few years ago on another account, I bought a Steiff bear which turned out to be fake, and ended up (having had no joy from eBay) taking the seller to Trading Standards. I negged them and got a retaliatory neg in return. Eventually eBay kicked them off after Trading Standards got in touch.

These days, I am very, very wary about leaving negative feedback. It's inevitable that you'll get a retaliatory neg if you do.

I bought an item from seller "perfume0590" that was listed as simply, "DUNHILL FRESH FOR MEN BRAND NEW" ... the picture was blurry because it was taken way too close-up, and since I didn't familiarize myself with the appearance of the full size bottle of Dunhill Fresh, I placed a $10 bid for what turned out to be a 5mL miniature. The seller has other minis for sale, but doesn't specify the size in any of the listings, and the photos are all blurry.

Well, someone came along and bid the listing up to my maximum bid and then stopped. So I had to pay the $10 maximum that I offered.

I believe this is done intentionally, although I can't prove anything. They even charge $9.99 for shipping and handling and then simply mail it first class USPS in a manila mailer with a bit of bubble wrap taped to it. I paid nearly $4 for insurance as well. I can't really leave a negative feedback rating, as it's my own fault for not asking questions before I bid. I did, however, leave a neutral feedback explaining the situation, encouraging folks to ask questions before they bid on something. I also reported several of the seller's items to eBay on the grounds of unreasonable shipping charges and overcharging for insurance.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Ebay - give me the SHITS!

I am so irritated. Fragrance Alley who is also known as Fashion Scents on EBAY sold me fake perfume. They are taking it back for refund and as we speak item is in transit - but I am upset as I thought I had found a genuine seller. I bought a 30ml EDP of Paloma Picasso and as soon as I opened it - I knew. Bottle was all black - and very shoddy spray job. Gold name 'Paloma Picasso' was very poor printing quality and the lid didn't fit on correctly.I sprayed the juice - and it didn't blow my head off like the original does.

I am paranoid now as I also got in same transaction - 50ml EDP Caron Parfum Sacre and 100ml EDT Caron Eau de Reglisse. They smell pretty good - and bottles look/feel original and came in boxes and sealed cellophane. I am just REALLY pissed off as whenever I spray them - I am 2nd guessing myself if they are REAL!!

Fragrance Alley/Fashion Scents are OK to take item back and refund/credit but I have paid the shipping at this stage and it is 20% restocking fee. Was thinking maybe some Ebay sellers slip in a fake now and then when they can or do they sometimes get duped too? They have not questioned me at all about my concerns - just send it on back. I'd get a replacement if I knew they wouldn't stiff me on that item too!

Bloody bastards!!! I'm OK paying full price and shipping to OZ - just give me the real stuff. Thank god for The Perfumed Court and other decanters who will be honest and will charge you genuine prices for genuine stuff.

O.K. Whingeing button has now been turned off :-)
    Last edited by Gumoosh; 23rd August 2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ebay - give me the SHITS!

Nice post but your title needs a little work. Consider cleaning it up a little...

Best regards,
    Mike

LOL I love the title....spoken like a true Aussie!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gumoosh View Post
    I am so irritated. Fragrance Alley who is also known as Fashion Scents on EBAY sold me fake perfume. They are taking it back for refund and as we speak item is in transit - but I am upset as I thought I had found a genuine seller. I bought a 30ml EDP of Paloma Picasso and as soon as I opened it - I knew. Bottle was all black - and very shoddy spray job. Gold name 'Paloma Picasso' was very poor printing quality and the lid didn't fit on correctly.I sprayed the juice - and it didn't blow my head off like the original does.

I am paranoid now as I also got in same transaction - 50ml EDP Caron Parfum Sacre and 100ml EDT Caron Eau de Reglisse. They smell pretty good - and bottles look/feel original and came in boxes and sealed cellophane. I am just REALLY pissed off as whenever I spray them - I am 2nd guessing myself if they are REAL!!

Fragrance Alley/Fashion Scents are OK to take item back and refund/credit but I have paid the shipping at this stage and it is 20% restocking fee. Was thinking maybe some Ebay sellers slip in a fake now and then when they can or do they sometimes get duped too? They have not questioned me at all about my concerns - just send it on back. I'd get a replacement if I knew they wouldn't stiff me on that item too!

Bloody bastards!!! I'm OK paying full price and shipping to OZ - just give me the real stuff. Thank god for The Perfumed Court and other decanters who will be honest and will charge you genuine prices for genuine stuff.

O.K. Whingeing button has now been turned off :-)
    I hope you are not paying restocking fees for the fake that they are willing to take back.

Infact i was contemplating making a purchase of Erolfa & GIT testers from Fragrance alley/Fashion Scents but was undecided if i wanted the bigger 4oz retail bottles or the 2oz testers. This seller on ebay has 110,000 + positive feedback and its just horrendous to know that he is selling fakes too.
    For me any seller with such high feedback was someone i could blindly trust but obviously it isnt the case anymore.

I wish you could leave negative feedback for them but it wouldnt really do any good for you coz in any case these unscruplous sellers leave negative retaliatory feedback. Besides he has got such a high number of +ve feedback, it wouldnt really bring out the truth to any unwary buyers.
    So i guess the best thing for you is to hope to get your money back and be cautious henceforth.

Thanks for bringing this out and letting us know. Ofcourse the title is surely something that made me pull towards this thread. So its all good.

gupts
    Last edited by gupts; 23rd August 2007 at 02:28 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, but I'm having a hard time accepting that it was fake.. perhaps just a different design? Different batch? I've tried many of the same fragrance from different places (i.e. Sephora, then Macy's, etc) and thought they smelled completely different. I've ordered from Fragrance Alley on occasion and had good luck. If I'm not mistaken, the all black bottle of that is from a special edition line of that fragrance... might be worth researching.
    I have a hard time seeing a fake being made for a $40 1oz bottle. The economy of scale just isn't there for a counterfeiter to make something at that price point that doesn't have the demand like Green Irish Tweed, etc (where the fake issues are with the 4oz bottle).
    Just my two cents.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Q View Post
    Nice post but your title needs a little work. Consider cleaning it up a little...

Best regards,
    Mike
    Sorry Mike but it's totally an Aussie expression & in my opinion doesn't need any cleaning up because to an Aussie it's not offensive. My 2 cents!!
    You'd have to be here to understand, and I'm actually a Canadian transplant but I get it.
    What ozkat said!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

I've had nothing but bad experiences with Fragrance Alley aka Fashion Scents.

One of their "specialties" is to list fragrances they don't have in stock, take your money, and then keep you hanging while they "source" the fragrance.

Another one of their specialties is not answering emails.

Everyone would be well advised to avoid doing any business with them.

A large eBay seller with whom I've had nothing but excellent experiences is Fragrance Express. They're honest, reliable, and for such a large operation quite good at answering emails. A follow up email is always advisable, though. You can trust them to have things in stock that are listed and to accurately list their stock.

Again, avoid Fragrance Alley like the plague.

scentemental

P.S. People who love to tell people what they can say and can't say give me the shits. It's okay; I am an Aussie also.

Last edited by scentemental; 24th August 2007 at 12:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Ebay - give me the SHITS!

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

P.S. People who love to tell people what they can say and can't say give me the shits. It's okay; I am an Aussie also.

Thanks for the support guys! Next I will write 'Give me the poos' or 'puts a darkie in my pants'. Sorry for any offense - very common in OZ - more so than 'I am pissed' which means drunk here.

Haven't as yet raised restocking issue yet with Fragrance . I will wait to see what they say when they get the bottle back.

This is very interesting...I just received my order of Hermes Jardin En Med and it seems ok...but now I have to wonder...BUT I live here in LA so I'll just take a nice little drive and confront them in person if there are any issues. I've been in their store many times.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Post Thanks / Like

No offense intended. Please disregard my judgment. If the administrators of the site are comfortable with "SHITS" in the title of a thread seen by guests who might be considering further participation (or not) here as they make their assessments as to what kind of place this is and what kind of people hang out here, it's certainly not my place to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do.

My apologies, I was out of line.

Best regards,
    Mike

Yeah eBay is famous for fake sellers, while eBay don't really do anything about it. I was sold fake electronics also. Better off purchasing from a reputable online retailer [a real business, not a seller]

Good luck!
    - Tomer
    Currently hooked on: Gucci Envy, Armani Code and L'eau ST Dupont

I can highly recommend YouSmellMarvelous, creedirect and allshewants.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a good experience with beauty_by_mimi - bought a Creed BdP tester and seems to be the real deal.

Default Ebay RANT!

Hello all! I've been reading threads about your experiences with counterfeit scents and bad sellers, and was thinking about how my overall love affair with ebay has soured over the years. I used to LOVE ebay, and shopped compulsively on it for everything... until I had a few negative experiences getting scammed and ripped off. Now I don't use it unless I really need something that is impossible for me to find elsewhere.

My biggest beef with ebay has to be the ridiculous feedback system. It is totally prejudiced against buyers! Like someone mentioned in one of the threads about sellers of counterfeit fragrances, a regular ebayer is like a scrawny little kid in a playground full of overgrown bullies with all these Power Sellers - these sellers easily rack up thousands of feedback ratings within months, so your negative is like a drop in a bucket. Meanwhile, one retaliatory negative can knock huge percentages off your rating that you've spent years building. Most regular ebayers can't afford more than a couple of negatives, so the risk of getting retaliatory feedback is so great that no one wants to pipe up.

And if the seller accumulates enough bad feedback before getting enough good feedback, they just reincarnate under a new name, and voila, a clean slate!

I know that I've given a few positives that weren't deserved. When I realized that other innocent buyers were relying on my ratings, I decided to suck it up and start giving out those neutrals and negatives. Some sellers, seeing that you haven't left good feedback, just won't leave you anything - even if you did EVERYTHING right - and that's pretty much the best you can hope for!

I left this one person a neutral, because you don't pay for 2-3 day shipping only to have the seller let the package sit there for a week before schlepping their lazy ass to the post office (I checked the postmark, and had paid immediately upon winning the item through Paypal, so I know it wasn't a question of waiting for the payment to clear). Next thing I know, I have a nice red NEGATIVE sitting in my feedback box - my first and only one after years of being a good ebayer. The only saving grace is that this seller's English is nearly incomprehensible so she sounds like a stark raving idiot.

If I could say a few things to the people in charge of ebay, I'd tell them that ebay is a boon for thieves and scam artists, and shame on them for looking the other way. It should be MUCH more difficult to become a seller on ebay, there has to be some mechanism preventing one person from setting up hundreds of accounts so that they can rip of thousands of people and disappear with nothing to lose. And that's just it... sellers have so little to lose, and buyers have so much! A seller doesn't have to part with anything until they've gotten everything they want from the buyer (your hard earned money), then the buyer is just left hanging with nothing but their good faith that the seller made them an honest deal.

That is precisely what makes the feedback system so unfair. There is such a huge power imbalance favoring the sellers, and the fact that it's so much easier for sellers to abuse the system (and so little that a buyer can do to recoup their losses). Have you noticed that the difference between an honest seller's feedback and a scammer's is usually only a couple of percentage points? It's perfect proof that the system is completely flawed. I had to learn that the hard way after getting burned despite never buying from anyone with feedback less than 97%, and now I won't buy from anyone who has less than 99% - anything less than that from a Power Seller usually indicates that there's something shady going on. I'll elaborate on that if anybody wishes.

What changes would I like to see? Feedback should be weighted accordingly to reflect this power imbalance. Or alternatively, make it so that the seller will only have 36 hours after the payment clears to leave feedback, so that they don't get to wait and see what the buyer leaves for them*. As far as I'm concerned, if I gave prompt payment for the item my obligation is complete - and that's all the seller is entitled to. By allowing sellers to post feedback after buyers do, ebay is allowing the sellers to extort buyers for *more* than they're entitled. That's simply reprehensible.

*(Obviously with this method, the buyer would have to pay through Paypal so that ebay could ascertain the payment date - I don't see how it would work with other methods of payment, but those other methods are unsafe anyway)

It's a damn shame, because there are some sellers on ebay who are just wonderful and I'd hate to see them getting wound up in red tape, but as with all things, a few bad apples spoil the bunch... and this bunch has been long overdue for some tougher rules. But then again, ebay's management probably already know all this and don't want to change a thing because they're filthy stinking rich from the piles of commission they make off all the thieves and scam artists.

What are your beefs with ebay? Are you an avid user? What changes would you like to see? Sellers, what is your point of view? I'm curious to see if anyone shares my thoughts, and if not, I'd like to see it from your perspective!
    Last edited by sunshowers; 12th December 2007 at 11:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ebay RANT!

My beef with eBay is all the counterfeits going on.

Not just frags (which I have not touched due to all the horror stories), but everything from counterfeit Apple iPod chargers to Motorola Bluetooth headsets. Despite those incidents, my dad just keeps buying things off of eBay without warning... and I want to find a way to help him curtail his usage of eBay. Can anyone help?
    Last edited by MFfan310; 13th December 2007 at 12:38 AM.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I only use ebay for designer frags (from trusted sellers that I've had good experiences with), sample vials, plugs for my stretched earlobes, & (sealed & new-in-box) dietary supplements. When I pay via PayPal, I put in the notes: Auction won on [date, time}, payment submitted [date, time]. Immediate feedback would be appreciated. I've only done about 70 or so transactions in a span of about 7 or 8 years & I've never had a negative experience.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Post Thanks / Like

I think some people will abuse the system no matter what side they're on... A lot of decent sellers have become gun-shy & wary of leaving feedback until they know the buyer is satisfied. I've also seen plenty of buyers with rotten feedback in the single digits who most certainly disappear and reappear under another alias to continue cheating sellers and tarnishing their rep just to be nasty.

Having perfect feedback (knock on wood) as a buyer & seller, my biggest pet peeve with feedback on eBay, MUA, and other places is the buyers and sellers who get their end and their feedback and don't bother reciprocating, when you know you rate a positive. It comes across as lazy and inconsiderate, to me.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Post Thanks / Like

I received a fake jacket once, but I was asking for it. In hindsight, it was a newly set up seller from China with only about 10 transactions. Of course they had set up the account to rip people off! I'm sure that as soon as I left a negative feedback, they just shut it down and started a new seller account. Now I'm a lot more careful. If I'm not buying for a Powerseller with 98% or higher positive feedback, I make sure to personally contact the seller first and get some impression of what they're like. If nothing else, I can see their grammar. Which is surprisingly telling in many cases.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

bought a FAKE Burberry BRIT from sheekproducts (paypal refunded for me) . This one sells everything fake. stay away from them.
    --------------------------------------
    don't ever buy from sheekproducts (guy's name is kyle mulberry).

This guy kyle mulberry his phone number(859)-519-6424 ebay id is sheekproducts
    sells FAKE pefumes with maintaining acceptable customer rating

he even runs a website showing how to make money (by fooling people that is)
    http://secret-biz.com/splash.php?u=kmulberry&a=&b=

any ideas about what we can do to stop this guy?
    Last edited by play; 6th January 2008 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vast_exchange : I bought Versace Dreamer and it was quickly shipped, real fragrance and just great service.

poweredbyredull: DO NOT BUY FROM . This guy originally sent me the female version of Light Blue, and then after I sent the item back, he sent Light Blue pour homme, but it was blatently fake. Also, he never responded to e-mais, and i even requested his information from Ebay... and he ignored my phone calls. Only time he messaged me was when I left him negative feedback, threatening me to remove it. HORRIBLE SELLER !!

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Re: Post eBay Fragrance Seller Feedback here!

what would you do in my place? I bought pefume from German Ebayer dry-hannover, paid for it and never received the goods, now I see there was a negative feedback from last week and the seller has just removed it - didn´t know it is possible. Sure he has not responded to tens of my e-mails, seems lost agenda.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Post eBay Fragrance Seller Feedback here!

I had an excellent buying experience with Legacy170. I purchased Bandit Pour Homme Light and Bandit EdT, with a sample of Troussardi Uomo. Bought on a Friday and received them on the Monday after. Fragrances were original (original boxes, still in cellophane, and unopened). The scents do not appear to be knockoffs - exactly as described by other Basenoters.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Post Thanks / Like

I will say, I never usually buy from 'stores' on ebay. But, 'my perfumes usa', was very proffesional, the product I received original, and they had great contact methods. I give them a thumbs-up.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 11th April 2008 at 02:27 PM. Reason: typo
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

I just received my bottle of Nuits de Noho from eBay seller perfumevault, it smells genuine. I'm about to leave positive feedback.

I've checked their id on toolhaus.org, the only neutral/negative feedbacks are related to slow shipping.

Has anyone else bought from them before?

Post Thanks / Like

The only person I purchased a perfume from was http://myworld.ebay.com/coutureperfume

It was a very positive experience. I would purchase from him/her again.

It was a tester but it said it had no cap in the listing. I asked the seller why there was no cap and they told me it was a tester. So I got what I paid for (AdP Colonia Assoluta). It smells just like the sample I tried at the store so I believe it to be real. I hope it is real because I love the stuff and if it is a fake, I don't know how I am going to get another bottle of it.

Also, you can read the buying guides for fragrances on ebay. One of them, which you can find at:

http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-COLOGNE...AT:-1:SEARCH:5

lists the most commonly faked frags, which (according to this person) are:

Chanel (all perfumes)

Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male

Issey Miyake L'eau D'Issey

Armani Acqua di Gio

Armani Black Code (also known as Armani Code)

Creed Silver Mountain Water

Creed Green Irish Tweed

Sean John Unforgiveable

Christian Dior J'adore

Dolce and Gabbana Light Blue

Ralph Lauren Romance

Vera Wang Princess

Question eBay seller Sunshinefragrances - fake Creed, still 100% feedback?

Ok, I'm confused.

When this seller only had (8) positive feedbacks, I thought 'Oh well, what the hell' and bought 4.0 oz of Silver Mountain Waiter for $40 USD.

It turned out to be Silver Frich Water, totally fake. It still had some blackcurrant notes in it, so I suspect it was heavily diluted. The seal under the sprayer was metal, not white plastic as with original Creed bottles. Definitely fake. I managed to get a full refund btw.

But now I'm checking this seller again, and now she has (38) positive feedback points, without any buyer complaining about fake Creeds! I mean, c'mon, $40 USD for 4.0 oz Creed? They're all fake!

So my question: what's going on here? Do you think the buyers can't distinguish a real Creed from a fake one?
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 1st July 2008 at 07:16 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: eBay seller Sunshinefragrances - fake Creed, still 100% feedback?

Yes, I think most people dont know the difference and frankly out side of the actual juice they have the bottle and packaging pretty darn close.

Also what might happen is some people buy it, realize its a fake, get their money back and decide to leave positive feedback anyways. But more than likely I think people cant tell the difference.

I actually bought my 1st creed SMW from ebay. The sellar said she worked at Neiman's and got the SMW with here employee discount. She even had a picture of the receipt. Long story short it was a fake (wrong sprayer). I wouldn't have known if it wasn't for basenotes. I went to Neimans to compare and the juice wasnt even close. I got a full refund and now I rarely consider buying a creed on ebay. Scentiments or scentmonkey are the best bets for me. Or if its something I really want I get it at Neimans and just hit the Creed SA up for a bazzillion samples. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I dont believe its just a matter of people not knowing these are fake. I've been to a part of NYC which thrives in fake perfumes. Almost all of the people who go there know fully well why they are going there. With these Ebay sellers, perhaps most of the people who are buying the fakes are perfectly okay with buying the fakes, and at that point it becomes a matter of customer service.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am not sure how could someone even expect to get real ones for those kind of prices. Maybe once in a blue moon with some specific seller it might be understandable. But if those are selling for $35-40 with so many sellers for so long, I would blame the buyers leaving a negative feedback for getting a fake and being duped.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Post Thanks / Like

Default Buying on eBay - Spotting a Creed Fake

I'm starting to look for other ways to get niche fragrances for slightly cheaper and ebay comes to mind. However, I've been warned by you guys specifically with Creed's that there are lots of fakes on ebay. My question is - how easy is it to spot one? If they are selling fakes, I assume they do it often as a way to fool many people (what i mean is, not just doing it once). So will someone with 100+ Feedback all 100% have a chance of it being fake?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Buying on eBay - Spotting a Creed Fake

If you do a search of the forums for "spotting" or "fake", you'll find an excellent article posted by one of the members on how to spot a Creed fake with photos and great advice. Some of which may only be possible once the bottle is in your hands.

Best rule of thumb: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Has anyone bought anything from perfumefactory aka A Perfume Factory? I bought a bottle of Terre d'Hermes recently and I'm almost sure it's genuine.

http://stores.ebay.com/A-Perfume-Factory