Code of Conduct

Thread: Seattle, Wa

Default Seattle, Wa

We have your basic Nordstrom, a very small Barney's, and a small, but packed boutique in the lobby of the Alexis hotel called Parfumerie Nasreen which stocks many of the Creeds, Clive Christian, and a number of other high end scents.

Default Re: Seattle, Wa

Let's not forget Sephora in both Seattle and Bellevue.

Post Thanks / Like

do you have F. Malle's fragrances at your local Barney's?

There is also:
    Essenza in Freemont
    La Creme Beauty on 55th in the University District and
    Parfumerie Elizabeth George in the back of a building lobby on 4th Ave downtown

Post Thanks / Like

Between the already mentioned Parfumerie Nasreen, Essenza, and La Creme Beauty, one can find just about anything. Allow me to elaborate:

Parfumerie Nasreen: Sure, they have the high end stuff, and also some rare finds, but I'm not a huge fan of this store. The owners aren't very nice/helpful and they don't give samples.

Essenza: Arguably the best overall perfume store in Seattle. It is on 35th st. in Fremont and is easy to find. They have a great selection of L'Artisan, Creative Universe, Fresh, Santa Maria Novella, Diptyque, a mediocre selection of Lutens and a whole bunch of other lines that I can't recall. More than a great selection, this store is fantastic because of the service. The lady that helps me there has the triple threat: friendly, knowlegeable and helpful. This place is extremely generous with samples. I went there today and left with a bag full of 15 samples. NICE!

La Creme Beauty: First off I want to say that it's a little bit confusing to say that this is in the University District. It is actually right near Ravenna Volvo and Kidd Valley, which are not too far North of University Village. This is another gem of a store. I said that Essenza is the best overall, but this one is definately worth a visit as well as it is much different and in some ways even better though not as well-rounded at least for what I'm looking for. This store is the best one in the city for women and also has plenty of stuff for the guys. Another thing that sets this store apart from others is that it has a great selection of oils. Of the lines one can find here that I remember are Keiko Mecheri, Lorenzo Villoresi, and Lutens. As you can see I don't really remember the oils or the wide range of perfumes and beauty products that are more geared towards women. Check this place out!. The owner is named Autumn and she is really cool. As far as knowledge of niche scents and oils go, Autumn is as good as they come. Really nice woman who is generous with samples and will take lots of time to make sure you leave happy.
    Last edited by The_Giraffe; 29th June 2006 at 04:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, don't forget there is going to be a Neiman Marcus that will be opening in early 2009 in Bellevue.

( edit- sorry I didn't realize that the last post was almost 2 years ago )
    Last edited by nalgreen05; 17th January 2008 at 02:53 AM.

La Creme Beauty does not exist as a brick and mortar last I heard. The stuff was moved to a warehouse while they were figuring out where to set up shop.

The Malle line is currently available at Barneys, as are most, but not all, of the L' Artisan and the Lutens.

Post Thanks / Like

Where is La creame beauty now ( april 09?) I'd like to visit it.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE Essenza and Fremont in general is a fun place to visit. I am going to Barneys for the first time ever on Friday, gawd I hope I don't over spend!

A new shop specializing in niche fragrances has just opened in West Seattle. It's called Knows Perfume, and is located at 4536 California Ave SW. It's a really fun place to visit. The owner, Christen, is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. West Seattle and Alki Beach are also fun places to visit. I highly recommend that anyone in the area go check it out.
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

Post Thanks / Like

Blackbird in Ballard, they carry Comme des Garcons, CB I hate Perfume, Portland General, Diptyque, Malin + Goetz and a few other ones.
    http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Frag...ecary_All.html
    Current top 5
    1. Creed Vintage Tabaróme
    2. Maison Francis Kurkdjian Absolue pour le Soir
    3. Comme des Garçons 8 88
    4. Montale Black Musk
    5. Profumum Antico Caruso

Post Thanks / Like

A couple more things about Knows Perfume:
    Lines they carry include: L'Artisan, Penhaligon's, I Profumi di Firenze, Juliette Has a Gun, Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, Montale, Smell Bent, Costume National, Aroma M, CB I Hate Perfume, and Bois 1920.
    They have a very active Facebook page.
    Christen regularly offers a "Perfume 101" class, which goes over the history of perfumery and introduction to basic notes and technical innovations, and includes passing around scent strips and includes a sample pack with the class. She also gives a monthly class on specific notes, which also includes a sample pack. I've been to two of these classes and they are a lot of fun. It's a very comfortable shop to visit, and there's a real feel for a sense of community there.
    =============================
    Also, more about brands carried at Essenza:
    Diptyque, Serge Lutens, L'Artisan, Santa Maria Novella, Frapin, Histoires des Parfums
    =================
    Both of the above independent shops are very generous with samples, and both have owners that really love to find out what your likes and dislikes are and guide you through the selection process. Both Wendy and Christen would insist that you try something out on your own skin before making a purchase.

==================
    Neiman Marcus and the Hermes Boutique are both in the Braevern in Bellevue, which is near 405, about half a mile east of Bellevue Square. Neiman Marcus has the Atelier Cologne line in addition to the usual suspects. The Hermes Boutique is the only place in the area you can get the Hermessence line, and I have been able to get samples there without buying anything. The samples are a generous 4 ml in a lovely glass ampoule.
    ==================

Barney's is in Pacific Place downtown. They have Frederic Malle, Costume National, Chantecaille, CdG, Serge Lutens, and a few others I can't think of now. They are a bit disorganized with samples but will make you up a vial if you ask.

==================
    There are Sephoras in Bellevue Square, downtown near Nordstrom's, and in University Village.

==================
    Nordstrom downtown has a large Jo Malone section, a dedicated Creed counter, a dedicated Tom Ford Private Collection counter, and the Chanel Exclusifs line, in addition to a wide range of the usual suspects. The SAs are not pushy, but not all of them know a lot about perfume. An SA I can recommend is Anthony, who is a real enthusiast, knows his stuff, understands what you are looking for, and will not hesitate to refer you to an outside shop if you are looking for a niche line that they do not carry.

Post Thanks / Like

Chanel Exclusifs are only sold in Chanel boutiques are they not?
    "the earth laughs in flowers"
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Post Thanks / Like

Nordstrom has the Exclusifs at the downtown location only. (I just bought a bottle of Sycomore there 2 days ago.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bey View Post
    Chanel Exclusifs are only sold in Chanel boutiques are they not?
    Nordstrom's in Portland, Oregon has them as well as the one in Seattle. When I was in Vancouver, BC about a year ago I smelled Les Exclusives in their Holt Renfrew, as the Chanel boutique in Vancouver BC was closed.

I recently visited Knows in West Seattle (see Matildaben's post #12 for more info) and Essenza in Fremont (see Giraff'e's post #5 for details).
    I recommend both for niche-lovers. Each has a wide selection.There is little overlap between stores. l'Artisan is the only one that comes to mind right now that is carried at both shops.

It was a pleasure shopping and chatting at both places. Low-pressure, knowledgable owners/ SAs who obviously love perfume.

And as mentioned in previous posts, both locations are great for strolling, shopping, etc.

If I had been in town longer, I would have signed up for the perfume 101 course at Knows.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I've been meaning to mention a new perfume shop that's recently opened in West Seattle, Sweet Anthem Here's one write-up of it. The owner, Meredith Smith, carries her own Sweet Anthem line of liquid and solid perfumes, as well as a number of others including Arcana, Wiggle, Rebel & Mercury, Lulu Beauty, Aftelier, and Slumberhouse. Most recently she has added Ayala Moriel and Olympic Orchids. She focuses on small independent perfume lines, especially those local to the Pacific Northwest area. The Sweet Anthem shop is located at 6021B California Avenue SW, Seattle, WA 98136.

West Seattle is becoming quite the destination for perfumistas!
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, great info! I've only become a Junior Perfumista within the last year, well after I relocated to Portland from Seattle. Last I checked, the Nordstrom @ Pioneer Place (arguably the 'flagship' of the PDX Nordstroms) NO LONGER carries Chanel's Exclusifs. Now I have an agenda for my next trip up north.

I remember getting waylaid by the Frederic Malle display at the brand-new Barney's in DT Seattle...within a week of each other, after many trips back + agonizing + justifying, I bought the smaller Parfum de Therese and the larger Noir Epices. Both still live in my fridge, but have been eclipsed by Guerlains.

Any store in Seattle carry Guerlain? Perhaps the Neiman Marcus in Bellevue?

Post Thanks / Like

I love this thread. I will be visiting all of these smaller niche shops very soon

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Neiman Marcus in Bellevue carries Guerlains.
    Happy shopping!
    Going there myself this weekend.

Sheglows.

Post Thanks / Like

All the Nordstrom locations are filled with no knowledge salespeople except for the downtown Seattle location..

Post Thanks / Like

Downtown location has a Bond no 9 counter and there is a Sephora up north in the Alderwood Mall.

I'd like to add a +1 for Anthony there. Enthusiastic, helpful and generous with recommendations and samples.

Post Thanks / Like

Nordstrom downtown - a very kind Asian gentleman who works for Chanel there (they carry Les Exclusifs!) was kind enough to share his time with me talking about lots of Chanel fragrances, including the newest one (Jersey) and even vintage Antaeus! He also knew a LOT about many other fragrances - more than any SA I've ever run into.

I wish I could recommend the Seattle Barney's but the SA's were flat out apathetic, busy chatting with each other. I was ignored after trying a couple from Byredo and CdG Wonderwood. It's not the first bad experience I've had there over the years. It's neat they carry the Frederic Malle line but their customer service is a joke. Most bottles are behind the counters so you have to rely on the unfriendly, disinterested sales associates who wish they could be somewhere else - and it shows.

Post Thanks / Like

A few updates:

Joel is the Chanel SA at Nordstrom mentioned above, and he is awesome, as are Anthony, Mary, Susan, and several others.

Barneys has a new fragrance manager, Christian, a 30-something short dark-skinned guy. He is a true fragrance nerd, generous, enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and very worth talking to.

I also wanted to add that Blackbird in Ballard now stocks Histoires de Parfums in addition to the lines mentioned previously. Their Facebook page said they will be getting Mona di Orio. Check the website to see what they carry. http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Frag...pothecary.html

Knows Perfume no longer has a bricks and mortar store but the business is very much alive. The website is being remodeled for e-commerce, and the Facebook page is the best place to get updates in the meantime. The lower overhead means a couple of new lines are going to be introduced. Classes are continuing, both Perfume 101 and Fragrant Flight. In addition, Christen is now offering personal fragrance buying consultations.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    A few updates:

Joel is the Chanel SA at Nordstrom mentioned above, and he is awesome, as are Anthony, Mary, Susan, and several others.

Barneys has a new fragrance manager, Christian, a 30-something short dark-skinned guy. He is a true fragrance nerd, generous, enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and very worth talking to.

I also wanted to add that Blackbird in Ballard now stocks Histoires de Parfums in addition to the lines mentioned previously. Their Facebook page said they will be getting Mona di Orio. Check the website to see what they carry. http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Frag...pothecary.html

Knows Perfume no longer has a bricks and mortar store but the business is very much alive. The website is being remodeled for e-commerce, and the Facebook page is the best place to get updates in the meantime. The lower overhead means a couple of new lines are going to be introduced. Classes are continuing, both Perfume 101 and Fragrant Flight. In addition, Christen is now offering personal fragrance buying consultations.
    I like Christian very much. He was very helpful. He is still there at Barney's in Downtown Seattle.

I haven't had a chance to shop in Bellevue. The traffic there put me off. It's easy to get around Seattle by walking or by bus, similar to San Diego in that respect. I haven't been to the Northgate Mall yet, but it's easily accessible from the northbound bus line #40 from downtown Seattle (the bus stops at Marion and 3rd).

So far I've been to:

Downtown Seattle:
    Barney's is in the Pacific Place Mall: has Frederic Malle, Comme des Garcons, and I think L'Artisan or Serge Lutens or both, I can't remember. I think I remember seeing Etro, as well. So much other stuff. Can't remember it all.

Nordstrom's close to the Pacific Place Mall: has a huge Creed counter, and so much other stuff, I was just gawking and forgot to write down anything. I think I saw a Bond No. 9, and Dior. Lots of Tom Ford. Just... a lot. The SA's there... were varied. Some were very knowlegeable, and some were just paid to stand there and spout catch phrases. I didn't catch names. There were so many!!!!

I've yet to visit the perfume place in the Alexis Hotel that sells Amouage. It's right by the ferry terminal.

Will update this post as I learn more.

There is a mall in Silverdale, across the Sound, that still sells Carven Homme. One bottle is left. I bought the other one.
    Last edited by Aiona; 5th March 2014 at 07:51 AM.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe