Code of Conduct

Thread: TOKYO, Japan

Default TOKYO, Japan

Shinjuku - Barneys(Keiko, L'Artisan, Rosine, SMN, AoS, Goutal); Isetan (SMN, Malle, LV, Penhal, AoS, MPG, Goutal, and all the regular stuff!)

Ginza - Prada boutique (4 Parfums exclusive to the boutiques), Au Printmeps (CSP, L'Artisan), Takashimaya (AG)

Was there in January of 2005 and sad to say, the prices on everything were unbelievably high! SMN at $120 a bottle, Keiko Mecheri at $110 a bottle...though the Malle prices were only slightly higher than the website.

marlen

Default Re: TOKYO, Japan

Where can you get shiseido tactics? Thanks!

Update from 2/06

I can't recall the name of the store, but it's in Aoyama, opposite the Dior boutique, and is quite large, really a place for wedding planning and shopping I think, but they have the entire L'Artisan line including the 100ml room spray efills at about $50 a bottle and even the Botega Veneta candles. The entire street block is quite short, so it should be easy to find.

p.s. - the best prices are still on the net - check http://rakuten.co.jp

are the fumes in Japan a lot more expensive the regular retail price in US?

I'd like to know the general price comparisons on Shiseido scents in Japan versus the US - in particular, Feminite du Bois and others that aren't easy to find here. Does anyone know?

The dept stores in Ginza haven't been too inspiring, but Matsuya now stocks a good range of Bond St and Penhaligons, seems a fair bit pricier than buying online. Found a small frag store in LaLaport on the the Tsukaba express line that sells a lot of fragrances that I have never heard of before.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dewey eyed View Post
    I'd like to know the general price comparisons on Shiseido scents in Japan versus the US - in particular, Feminite du Bois and others that aren't easy to find here. Does anyone know?
    50ml of FdB was widely available for around $35 last year when I was there. Surprisingly, I didn't see much of Comme des Garcons though.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Any update information since the last post?

I'll be in Tokyo during 31 July-3 August. I think that it's the sale period. I would like to know whether the discount is applied or not to the fragrance. Or it would be more interesting to buy at the airport duty-free shop?

Thanks.

Having hung around Tokyo a fair bit now, I have managed to sniff out interesting places for perfumistas...

The Nihombashi mitsukoshi department store has one of the best selections of perfumes in Tokyo, if not the best. The Isetan in Shinjuku also has an outstanding selection of Creed, Serge Lutens and SMN scents, as well as shaving related Trufitt and Hill products. The more accessible houses are also easily found in most department stores.

Going to Ueno, in the Ameyoko market area are many perfume shops in the covered market area. One even has a lot of Jean Patou (alas, no PH) frags, although most are out of the boxes and have been sitting out in the ambient temp and exposed to a lot of light. There are many smaller shops selling popular frags that tend towards aquatic (Bvlgari is extremely popular) scents.

For comme des garcons, I found a Conrad shop in the Shin Maranuchi building (I think), outside of Tokyo Station, that stocks a number of CDG scents.

For the moment, I would forget about buying anything in Narita airport, that has tantamount to the lamest duty free I have ever encountered...

Several years ago, I bought Comme des Garcons somewhere in the main building of Isetan Shinjuku. But now, I have no idea...is CdG still there somewhere?

Answering my own question: the CdG boutique on the second floor of Isetan Men has perfume.

I found a very interesting/weird shop in Shibuya's Dogenzaka called Marisol. I found it by googling Bandit Tokyo. Yes, the shop has Bandit, but it is a very vintage bottle. I was afraid to even ask the price. They claim they have or can find anything for you. However, they won't let you even enter the shop unless you tell them what you are definitely going to buy. I guess they have some kind of special commercial status as a membership club or something. Maybe this is necessary if they want to sell stuff that is not normally available in Japan. I asked about samples, and she gave me a spritz on paper of Perry Ellis Portfolio Elite, noting that it was Pres Clinton's frag. She also said she could advise on a frag that would suit my character and taste, and show me the correct way to wear it. The Perry Ellis prices were pretty outrageous, but it would be good to have these people on your side when looking for something rare. On the website, there was also mention of a class session for 15,000 yen (more than $150 US) that would include three museum-quality vintage frags--to take home? I don't know but it sounds intriguing. Has anyone heard of this place?

Quote Originally Posted by dewey eyed View Post
    Is FdB still widely available over at Tokyo?

Quote Originally Posted by junkfood View Post
    Is FdB still widely available over at Tokyo?
    I saw it at the Shiseido boutique in the Imperial Hotel several months ago. That shop has a selection of Serge Lutens fragrances. I am surprised that FdB was only $35 in 2008. It is now priced in line with other SLs. Quite expensive, but the gap versus European/North American prices is less, probably helped by the strong yen. So, the perfume strength SLs are generally 13,500 yen, which at 100 yen/dollar is not bad, but the reality is one dollar is only about 80 yen so it is more like $160. But many other luxury houses are priced at 50% to 100% higher than US prices.

Also, the Shiseido boutique at the Imperial seemed very quiet on a weekday. The SA was very chatty, somewhat informed and generous with sprays, but no take-home samples.

Thanks for your reply. But is the older design/bottle of FdB possible to be found?

Quote Originally Posted by tsuzumi View Post
    I found a very interesting/weird shop in Shibuya's Dogenzaka called Marisol. I found it by googling Bandit Tokyo. Yes, the shop has Bandit, but it is a very vintage bottle. I was afraid to even ask the price. They claim they have or can find anything for you. However, they won't let you even enter the shop unless you tell them what you are definitely going to buy. I guess they have some kind of special commercial status as a membership club or something. Maybe this is necessary if they want to sell stuff that is not normally available in Japan. I asked about samples, and she gave me a spritz on paper of Perry Ellis Portfolio Elite, noting that it was Pres Clinton's frag. She also said she could advise on a frag that would suit my character and taste, and show me the correct way to wear it. The Perry Ellis prices were pretty outrageous, but it would be good to have these people on your side when looking for something rare. On the website, there was also mention of a class session for 15,000 yen (more than $150 US) that would include three museum-quality vintage frags--to take home? I don't know but it sounds intriguing. Has anyone heard of this place?
    Do you have anymore info regarding this mentioned shop? Sounds intriguing to me! :P

I am an expat living in Far West Tokyo, and have just started up again with collecting scents. I have found the Shinjuku Isetan to have an outstanding collection of fragrances, and yes, they are $$$. The Shinjuku store has at least 4 floors on which one can find perfumes, candles, home diffusers, essential oils and a variety of "niche" perfumes.

Farther west from Shinjuku, the busy, bustling town of Kichijoji has several boutiques in a department store setting where the better perfumes are sold. In addition, I found a small street stall that sells the sample size bottles for the equivalent of $12USD. For me, it's a great way to sample a scent and not spend over $100.00.

C. Stone

Too bad there aren't many fumeheads in the Osaka Bay area on this board....

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Is Shiseido boutique in the Imperial Hotel has complete collection of Serge Lutens ?

I am going to stay there on my vacation in December and I think I am going to looking for my 1st Serge Lutens there.

Now I am interest in trying Gris Clair, Serge Noire, and Five O'clock Au Gingembre, those are what likely to work in my country's climate.

Thanks.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Quote Originally Posted by Wit_Siamese View Post
    Is Shiseido boutique in the Imperial Hotel has complete collection of Serge Lutens ?

I am going to stay there on my vacation in December and I think I am going to looking for my 1st Serge Lutens there.

Now I am interest in trying Gris Clair, Serge Noire, and Five O'clock Au Gingembre, those are what likely to work in my country's climate.

Thanks.
    I haven't been to the Shiseido boutique at the Imperial Hotel for a while, but I assume they still have a selection of Serge Lutens. Probably no shop could have the whole line. If they don't have the ones you want, go to Isetan Men in Shinjuku. I recently saw all three of your favorites there. On another topic, you might want to check out the Guerlain boutique in the Imperial hotel. Have a good trip!

Blog Entries

Thanks, tsuzumi.

Now I need to see both boutique.

Blog Entries

There are Serge Lutens at Shiseido The Ginza (http://stg.shiseido.co.jp/shop/1f-1/item/index.html), the site show that it sell SL on section No.19. Its FB also showS photos of SL.

Selection of SL
    http://www.facebook.com/ShiseidoTheG...type=3&theater

An SA also said she that SL is one of her favourit in the shop.
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater

I am going to visite that shop next month.

Blog Entries

According to L'Artisan Parfumeur Official Facebook page, there is a boutique at

Omotesando
    Boutique 1F, 3-2-6
    Kita-Aoyama
    107-0061
    Tokyo
    Minato-ku

I would not recommend Marisol in Tokyo, unless you are so desperate that you are willing to pay anything and to be treated like garbage. I'm in Tokyo on business and went there to try to pick up a couple of things. It was a terrible experience. Marisol is located on a side street near Shibuya 109. First, (as I quickly learned) Marisol is not a shop per se. They do have a shop with bottles in the window, but don't try to enter. You will be rudely shoo shoo'd out of the stop and forced to stand in the street to try to make a purchase. As the condescending lady working there explained to me, you need a reservation...to buy fragrances...and it's been that way for 50 years, and they are special, and a membership club, and their frags are like fine wines, and in essence, stand on the road and deal with us or go away. So, standing in the road she told me that she could sell to me, but I'd have to stand outside (it's February and 5 degrees here) and look at clear vinyl folder books listing fragrances. She told me, that they are the largest fragrance shop in the world and how special they are (uh-huh). In the small leftmost window are discontinued frags and so I asked her how much the older amber bottle of Chaps is (since I know what they are going for online). She fired back, without even thinking about it, 16,000 yen ($201). I asked if she was kidding. She was not. Clearly this lady did not want my business, no matter what. So, I asked about another easy one, Grey Flannel, that was in another window. 6800 yen ($86). Now, I've lived in Japan for 15 years, and speak Japanese pretty well and this conversation took place in Japanese so I'm not new to dealing with retailers here. So, I asked simply, do you really think people will want to buy from you if you force them to stand on the road and not allow them to see or sample the products? She said "If you take that attitude, we will refuse to serve you." Attitude? for asking a couple of common sense questions? Given that I was standing in the street and was getting quoted outrageous prices, getting refused didn't much matter to me. Fine, go ahead, I said. So she refused me, went back inside and I kept the cash I was planning to spend in my wallet. Please don't waste your money there!

Hello, SMC!

Too bad about your experience at Marisol. It is difficult to figure out what is going on there. In my imagination, it is owned by some very rich and eccentric person, with a huge frag collection, obviously not interested in making any money on this. Maybe it is a tax writeoff. Or maybe a front for something else? Who knows? However, if I had an unlimited budget, and looking for something very rare, this might be a place to look, especially since there is not much else in this country.

Here is a suggestion for your next trip. This didn't get put into the Tokyo thread for some reason. But anyway, I really recommend this place, it will take the bad taste of Marisol out of your mouth:

Parfum Satori
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/278...t=#post2195585

Thanks Tsuzumi! Your post saved the day. I saw it about 4:30 yesterday afternoon (on my last day of this trip) and after spending the day wandering Tokyo. I made a quick call to Satori and I was back on the train to Shinjuku. The perfume maker was very considerate and took me through each of the fragrances. She had me captured though, after the first spray of Satori. I like that kind of incensey vibe it has. I also liked Peony and Sonnet (osmanthus) very much. I left with a bottle of Satori and both of her sample sets.

For anyone wanting something truly Japanese this is definitely the place.

Quote Originally Posted by tsuzumi View Post
    Hello, SMC!

Too bad about your experience at Marisol. It is difficult to figure out what is going on there. In my imagination, it is owned by some very rich and eccentric person, with a huge frag collection, obviously not interested in making any money on this. Maybe it is a tax writeoff. Or maybe a front for something else? Who knows? However, if I had an unlimited budget, and looking for something very rare, this might be a place to look, especially since there is not much else in this country.

Here is a suggestion for your next trip. This didn't get put into the Tokyo thread for some reason. But anyway, I really recommend this place, it will take the bad taste of Marisol out of your mouth:

Parfum Satori
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/278...t=#post2195585
    Quote Originally Posted by SMCinJPN View Post
    Thanks Tsuzumi! Your post saved the day. I saw it about 4:30 yesterday afternoon (on my last day of this trip) and after spending the day wandering Tokyo. I made a quick call to Satori and I was back on the train to Shinjuku. The perfume maker was very considerate and took me through each of the fragrances. She had me captured though, after the first spray of Satori. I like that kind of incensey vibe it has. I also liked Peony and Sonnet (osmanthus) very much. I left with a bottle of Satori and both of her sample sets.

For anyone wanting something truly Japanese this is definitely the place.
    I am so happy I found this place while in Japan - I just got back yesterday afternoon. First, we were running late and arrived at her shop at 6:50 pm, and she closes at 7:00, but she took over an hour to go through all the scents with me and explained her philosophy and overall experience with fragrances. After that she took me upstairs to show me her workshop, perfumer's organ, and vast collection of vintage fragrances. I fell in love with Satori, Iris Homme, and Moss Water but ended up just buying the Iris Homme. They were all beautiful scents but what pushed me over into buying what I did was the big chunk of iris butter she showed me up in her workshop - hey, if all things are equal then little things like that can make a difference.

Her graciousness and overall aesthetic is distinctly Japanese and I was very happy to find a scent memento of this trip, but I will certainly be emailing her in the future to get a bottle of Satori.

On another note, her husband works in the same shop and is a jeweler. He showed me some of his work and they are elegant and unique. Lots of creative ferment going on in that small space!

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    Too bad there aren't many fumeheads in the Osaka Bay area on this board....
    there is one right here!!!! yoroshiku.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wit_Siamese View Post
    According to L'Artisan Parfumeur Official Facebook page, there is a boutique at

Omotesando
    Boutique 1F, 3-2-6
    Kita-Aoyama
    107-0061
    Tokyo
    Minato-ku
    I was in Omotesando 4 weeks ago, but I didn't see the shop. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. Does anyone know if this shop still exists?

Much of this is random and not necessarily niche, but fragrance related.

I was lucky enough to be on vacation in Japan recently and made the trek out to visit the Le Labo shop. I didn't leave with anything, because I already have a small bottle of Gaiac 10, which I am trying to make last before refilling it. We went after dark and almost got lost. It is on the street right near one of the subway exits. The store and the shopkeepers were lovely. The store was very modern and the front of it was all glass windows. There were a few cafe tables set up right outside with people sitting and enjoying the cool evening air. I really wanted to purchase something, but prices were about the same as back home and there was little room in my luggage. The neighborhood looked worth exploring. I read that there are some very nice shops around.

I did not specifically seek out fragrances, but would try to when possible.
    At the airport, I saw Shisedo White Rose. Less expensive there than in town. I have one at home, and use it sparingly, but enjoy it.
    I planned to visit the Isetan Shinjuku fragrance department, but did not have a chance to.
    I did stop by the Mitsukoshi Ginza and sniffed their Japan exclusive Rosine. Very pretty.
    Also, I went to the Shiseido in Ginza and sniffed all the scents they had in the back, on the 1st floor. The 1st floor had an odd set up, since there were all sorts of products and lines mixed in. I did try the $400 scent, forgot the name, which I didn't like.
    At the Imperial Palace in Kyoto, they were selling two bottles of fragrance in the gift shop, one in jasmine and one in rose. I believe they were created for the empress by her brother. Little vintage looking bottles and inexpensively priced.
    Also in Kyoto, I visited several Yojiya (local cosmetic line) shops and stands. Some sold their fragrance, but I didn't get a good sniff of it.

I thought I'd add that Isetan Shinjuki (women's) has the Chanel exclusifs.
    In fact, between the men's and women's buildings, Isetan in Shinjuku is the best one stop shop for scent in Tokyo. Just keep in mind that there are mens and unisex scents available in the women's section, CdG is sold together with CdG clothing and SMN is on the top floor of the men's building (used to also be available on the ground floor, but maybe not any more).

Hey, I'm new to this site but I just wanted to say hi on this thread because I will be moving to Tokyo from the US in a couple months.

I was wondering if I should stock up on my favorite scents before moving, or if I really shouldn't worry about it.
    From what I looked at online, there seems to be a pretty good variety of perfumes I can just order from the internet, but I am always afraid of fakes so I try to avoid internet buying when I can. I also am not a fan of blind buying if I want to try out something new...

Additionally, what do you guys think of the cheaper domestic brands? (ex. samourai, aqua savon, etc.)
    I think they are available to smell at large stores like Yodobashi, or in some MatsuKiyos.

On the positive side, the selection has increased greatly in the past several years. There is Creed and Bond 9 everywhere, and lots more at Isetan Shinjuku. The prices are still really high. The gap between prices here and in the US has narrowed somewhat, but everything is still pretty expensive. Some mainstream frags that are famous for being cheap are much higher here--$50 seems to be the bottom even in discount shops. There is nothing similar to TJ Maxx--no bargain bin for fragrances. I did see some testers for sale for less than $10 (¥780 to be exact) but only in that one store, and that seemed to be a one-time thing. I think there is either a cultural problem or a legal one when it comes to buying old perfume stock.

As for on-line buying, I have used Strawberry Net a few times. They have always answered e-mails immediately, and they seem to be familiar with getting stuff through Japanese customs. Maybe that is why their prices are so high! But you can find some reasonable prices for specials, and they sometimes have 10%-off sales for everything, even other specials. Other big on-line discounters, like Fragrancenet, may not be as good in terms of getting stuff through customs, but I don't have much experience with that.

I got a mini of Samourai and just retested it recently. It is okay; a tobacco note similar to--or let's say, a lighter version of The Dreamer, maybe. Seemed like an inoffensive beginner's frag to me. But this kind of thing might be useful if you are on a tight budget.

Welcome Masamin,

I am sure you will enjoy your time in Tokyo. There are plenty of places to find perfumes, but to stock up or not is dependent on a few things.

#1 Exactly what are your favorites ? Some perfumes are simply not available in Japan. Clinique Aromatics, Zen by Shisheido, and Youth Dew by Estee Lauder are not to be found in Japan. I am sure there are others, but of those 3 I am certain.

#2 Are you a military dependent or an expat ? If military, you have base shopping to help you in your quest.

#3 Duty and import restrictions are placed on the amount and type of perfumes you are allowed to bring into the country.

Perfumes are $$$ here, and as a previous poster said, there are no Marshall's or anything like that. However, in Kichijoji, a busy and bustling suburb in west Tokyo, there are several small kiosk type operations that do sell perfumes at a discount. They seem t specialize in end lots, gift sets, etc.

There are also department stores like Ito Yokado, a national chain, which have small, but affordable brand perfumes as well as some japanese types.

I was told by a Japanese perfumer by the name of Satori, whose lovely shop was mentioned here on another thread, that Japan is not a country that uses perfume. If I can judge by the smell of the people with whom I am regularly shoved into the train carfrom Shinjuku, they do not use scent. I fact, they do not even seem to have a personal body scent - not odor- but just a personal smell. They smell of nothing.

The exception to this are the drunken salarymen and old men coming from the racetrack, who reek of cigarettes and cheap beer.

I work at an American school, and feel free to use perfumes at my discretion. I have scents in my classroom and my students have perfumes they prefer over others, commenting when I make a change.

Feel free to contact me when you arrive, and I will happily show you a few good places to sniff about. I will be here until the summer.

PS ... Don't forget about duty free shops before you leave the USA.

Thank you for the quick replies!

I was assuming there would be discount places like TJMaxx or Marshalls that would sell nice fragrances for cheap, so it's good that you guys told me that no such stores exist. I was going to not look at duty free shops because such discount shops are cheaper, but maybe it is a better idea to try duty free after all.
    I have nothing to do with the military so I won't have access to those sites, but it is good that you mentioned import restrictions. I should probably check those out before going, since I was planning to bring some over anyway...not for selling of course but for personal use.

As for favorites, mine are pretty mainstream so I assume it won't be a problem: Miss Dior and Burberry Classic for women.

But overall I am a pretty flexible person so as long as there is a nice selection, I don't think I would care too much if I couldn't get one particular scent.
    I will be sure to check out Strawberry Net, Yokado, and I will look up Satori. From the looks of the earlier post, she sounds amazing.
    I have also tried Fragrancex here and had a good experience, but it seems to me though that although US users write rave reviews, non-US users are pretty unhappy, so I'm not sure about that site.

I am aware that Japanese people do not really wear perfume so I am hoping that my new workplace wouldn't mind so much... my department supposedly has a lot of non-Japanese people in it since we deal with a lot of international clients. But if work isn't an option, I think it's acceptable if I just put a little on for regular outings.

Sindistone: how long will you be in Tokyo in the summer? I will probably move there in June, so if you are around it would be awesome if you could show me some good places to look!

Masamim10, I think you will be fine. The perfume selection is actually huge and there are way more than I could ever hope to sniff. Traditional separtment stores, like Isetan, Mitsukoshi, Takashimaya and other literally have floors devoted to fragrance. In addition, the Japanese seem to very much be into home fragrances such as mists and diffusers, clothing and fabric spray, scent for the hair, scented ironing water and lots of different scents for laundry and body. Of course, they are priced in Yen, and the Japanese are paid a decent wage and the service is outstanding and the import fees high ! If you are paid in Yen, once you stop comparing it to US dollars, you will be fine.

I will be here until mid summer. I I can figure out a way to get a private message to you, we can chat more.

Hankyu Men in Ginza has a good selection.

I dropped into Isetan Men in Shinjuku yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at the ("edited highlights") selection on the Ground Floor - Villoresi, Malle, Lutens, Byredo, Penhaligons, The Different Company, Aedes de Venusta.

Comme de Garcons upstairs on 6 Fl. had the basics - Incense series and a few others.

The fragrance counters across the road in the main store seemed as up to date as anywhere else I have been in Asia - Guerlain counter only had the basics, though - no Exclusives.

Estination in Roppongi Hills had Diptyque, Goutal, The Different Company and a few Creeds . . .

I also bought some Yohji Homme at the Yohji flagship in Aoyama - the re-released version is excellent, pretty much on a par with the original - a little less density but in some ways more 'wearable' in the warmer weather. They carry both hommes and the 4 or 5 femmes in the Aoyama shop.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 18th June 2014 at 09:59 AM.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov