Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Santa Maria Novella Store in LA

Just a shout out to fellow BNers in that area. It's on the little strip off of Melrose called "Melrose Place", a block east of La Cienega. Amazing selection of Italian colognes. Nice and patient SA.

Default Re: Los Angeles County

Annotated a Google map to point out the major fragrance shopping spots in the just south of West Hollywood section of LA. This is the area between The Beverly Center and The Grove/Farmer's Market. If you're fit, they're all within walking distance of each other. The Gendarmerie is also close by.

Last edited by adonis; 17th June 2009 at 10:37 PM.

Hi Adonis. There used to be (and maybe still is) a perfume place across the North parking lot from Farmer Market.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_B. View Post
    Hi Adonis. There used to be (and maybe still is) a perfume place across the North parking lot from Farmer Market.
    Yes! I just couldn't recall the name of it. They've got Bond No 9, Clean, ADP...

Edit: Beauty Collection, just across the parking lot from Farmer's Market

Last edited by adonis; 18th June 2009 at 06:48 PM.

Default Fragrance in Los Angeles

My friend is coming back to Thailand in September and he is more than willing to bring some bottles for me. I wonder if there's anything special in Los Angeles. Any shops selling niche at a good price?

I don't want mainstream scents for this opportunity.

You can suggest any special deals at a place like Sephora. I don't know much about fragrance or fashion department stores in the U.S. so please feel free to suggest. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by KiatBkk; 14th July 2009 at 05:15 PM.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Default Re: Fragrance in Los Angeles

Isn't Lucky Scent based in Los Angeles?

I found this on their Web site. It looks like they have a retail store:

Scent Bar
    8327 Beverly Blvd.
    Los Angeles, CA 90048

I think they charge retail, though.
    Last edited by Primrose; 14th July 2009 at 05:05 PM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Rose Ambre by Fragonard

Sorry everyone, I've got to move this to the city shopping guides section. My apologies.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Hi KiatBkk,

I'm not the best person to answer your question, but I'll try to help. Someone already mentioned Scent Bar and their website at luckyscent.com. If you read this whole thread, you will see mention of Santa Maria Novella, which carries their own brand. (8411 Melrose Place, Los Angeles, CA 90069 (323) 651-3754). As for Sephora, they only carry the mainstream designer brands. I've never seen anything unusual there.

As for other stores with unique brands that are not available all over the Internet, I see some mentioned here, but I've never been to them. Maybe you could also ask in the Los Angeles Social Group here. Click on "Community" on the top menu.
    Last edited by Andrew_B.; 15th July 2009 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    My friend is coming back to Thailand in September and he is more than willing to bring some bottles for me. I wonder if there's anything special in Los Angeles. Any shops selling niche at a good price?

I don't want mainstream scents for this opportunity.

You can suggest any special deals at a place like Sephora. I don't know much about fragrance or fashion department stores in the U.S. so please feel free to suggest. Thanks in advance
    Lots of great places for niche perfumes in LA (see map http://community.basenotes.net/showp...0&postcount=32 ). And they're all located very close to one another. Prices for niche scents are almost always high ($80-$250). Some suggestions:

The least expensive niche scent is Mojo by Gendarme http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121112.html - only $24, although I like Gendarme EDP the best. Have your friend go to the Gendarmerie in West Hollywood to buy a bottle and they'll give him a bunch of samples of the other Gendarme products for you. They're very nice people there: http://www.thegendarmerie.com/ and I'm sure the creator of Gendarme will sign the bottle for you if you want.

Santa Maria Novella is nearby. Some beautiful Italian EDCs in 100ml bottles.

The Scent Bar - Unbelievable. So many different niche scents. One of the few Nasomatto retailers in the US. Not low prices, but they might have more niche scents than anywhere else in the US. http://www.luckyscent.com/

Le Labo - Their fragrances are really beautiful. I like Rose 31, but there are many more. Check Le Labo's website for prices and products. http://www.lelabofragrances.com/
    Last edited by adonis; 16th July 2009 at 12:49 AM.

Blog Entries

The Nordstrom at Westfield Santa Anita (near the racetrack) now stocks Creed, Jo Malone, Sisley, Laura Mercier, and Estee Lauder Private Collection. Major upgrade!

I believe they will also have a "Fragrance Festival" in November, where reps will ply you with wine and cheese snacks in order to buy their gift sets.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oXKmo6EMbU

523 S Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90013. tel 213-688-9600.

Unbelievable deals, but parking in downtown LA is $$$

They also have a store at the Delamo Fashion Center in Torrance and South Bay Galleria in Rendondo Beach
    I'm confused... do I have to order their catalog and buy in bulk wholesale (minimum is $500) or can I go down there and pick out about 3 frags to buy?

I have been to the Galleria Mall Luxury Perfumes shop--you can buy just one there. Their prices for rare, high quality fragrances (such as some Guerlains, for example, if they even have them) are not as deeply discounted. The one time I was there, I decided against purchasing, and they tried to offer me a lower price. It makes me wonder if there is a little bit of markup in the mall locations.

darn... so I can only choose 1 out of the 3 frags that I wanted? Azzaro PH, Guerlain Vetiver, or Habit Rogue.... hmmmm

edit: went to 3 malls that says its there store front... seems like all the LuxuryPerfume stores are now all Perfumania... still I was hoping to see some LuxuryPerfume stock in there but none...

Guess I'll just order from their website.
    Last edited by VelvetDon25; 5th September 2009 at 12:35 AM.

No, you can buy as few as one if you want, at the retail store--sorry if that was not clear!
    Last edited by Asha; 5th September 2009 at 03:54 PM.

Any stores near the San Fernando Valley? :/

Most of them are at beverly hills >.> darn

Quote Originally Posted by Azul View Post
    Any stores near the San Fernando Valley? :/
    There are two listed in the first message for Sherman Oaks.

Also, there's a store in Studio City that is on Ventura Place (not Ventura Blvd.). Ventura Place is only a block long, so if you are that way you could look for a fragrance store. They make custom fragrances. I haven't bought there, so I don't know the quality.
    Last edited by Andrew_B.; 9th September 2009 at 04:42 AM.

@andrew
    I apologize, its because im 16 and transportation for me is restricted. Just looking for something a little nearer than the ones listed aha. Thank you for the additional information

Blog Entries

Just wondering: where can I go in LA county that has a lot of the Annick Goutals in-store, not just the usual Eau d'Hadrien/Petite Cherie/Songes...?

Fragrance Hut, inside the Beverly Center. Saw the popular Creeds, Kouros, Body Kouros, Live Jazz, Gendarme, many others.
    Last edited by adonis; 30th January 2010 at 01:03 AM.

There are a number of places to score perfume in the Valley and environs.

Elise Perfume
    121 W Wilson Ave
    Glendale, CA 91203
    (818) 502-5070

If Rose is there, she's great. You'll find a mix of new/designer frags and quite a few classics -- Balmains, various Guerlains, Molinard. Their prices are spotty, but there are some real deals to be had here. They're also generous with the carded samples or will even sometimes throw in a mini when you purchase something.

Just a few blocks away are

Perfumes of France
    218 E Broadway
    Glendale, CA 91205
    (818) 956-5575

And

Arsenio Perfume
    1105 S Glendale Ave Ste A
    Glendale, CA 91205
    (818) 241-2818

I haven't shopped either of these.

Inside the Glendale Galleria is Fragranza, which has tons of minis and good pricing. Make sure you sniff before you buy, though -- they tend to open bottles as testers then put them back in the box, and some of the things I've tried there have been handled so badly that they have no scent left to speak of.

There's also Le Pink and Co. in Silverlake.

Le Pink
    3820 W Sunset Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90026
    (323) 661-7465

Not bargain priced, but they carry some goodies like Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab oils, L'Artisan Parfumeur, Roger & Gallet and so forth. I haven't been but they get terrific reviews on Yelp for friendly, knowledgeable service.
    Last edited by Thalia; 26th April 2010 at 09:35 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oXKmo6EMbU

523 S Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90013. tel 213-688-9600.

Unbelievable deals, but parking in downtown LA is $$$

They also have a store at the Delamo Fashion Center in Torrance and South Bay Galleria in Rendondo Beach
    Are those authentic?? I always see tons of perfume shops in downtown LA - but somehow I'm afraid to buy, they look suspicious... Can anyone recommend a store downtown LA with good deals which you know for sure is 100% authentic please?

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone88 View Post
    Are those authentic?? I always see tons of perfume shops in downtown LA - but somehow I'm afraid to buy, they look suspicious... Can anyone recommend a store downtown LA with good deals which you know for sure is 100% authentic please?
    They're legit, but their restocking fee is 20% so avoid blind buys.

Is the Luxury Perfumes Wholesale on-line price list what you'd pay in the store for individual bottles, or is that only for wholesale orders, do you know?

This is the price list for people with a minimum order of something like $500: http://www.luxuryperfumewholesale.co...ST06152009.pdf

A few years ago a group of us went in on a group purchase there in order to get the wholesale price. If there's enough interest, I'll organize another group purchase later in the summer.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 7th June 2010 at 11:34 PM.

Oh, if you do, please let me know! I would certainly go in on $50 or so toward the $500.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Beverly Hills Perfumery
    9555 Wilshire Blvd
    Beverly Hills, CA 90212
    (310) 888-8807
    This is right across the street from Barneys and has many hard to find and/or discontinued classics. If Alan is there, mention you are a member of Basenotes and MUA ~ he’ll take excellent care of you.
    Pretty impressive selection of hard to find colognes. As socalwoman mentioned, tell Alan you're a BNer. Nice no pressure place and they know their stuff. Their Saturday hours vary - call them first if you go on the weekend.

Definitely recommend Scent Bar (Lucky Scent) in West Hollywood. It's fragrance nirvana. The boutique stocks an incredible selection, the staff are knowledgeable & friendly, and you get samples of anything you're interested in.

Beautyhabit in Westlake Village is also great. Although it's a warehouse, and not a bricks & mortar, they have a counter set up in the warehouse to test a full range of their niche brands. Really knowledgeable & friendly staff, too.

Unfortunately, I don't recommend Parfums Raffy (Duty Free Cosmetics) in Sherman Oaks. After a two-month saga and a loss of $350 to the Dolbakians, I'd recommend the alternatives.

No pressure but how strange that they have signs posted 10% off, 15% off but no actual prices on the fragrances! (Therefore the "discounts" are phoney) I inquired about a 1oz Guerlain Vetiver EDC spray in what looks like older, maybe early 90's packaging. The sales girl had to go ask an unshaven guy in gym shorts what the price was. I felt like I was getting high-rolled at 50.00+10% off so I passed. Purchased same package of Habit Rouge EDC for $31.00 elsewhere about a month ago.

Martin

Pretty impressive selection of hard to find colognes. As socalwoman mentioned, tell Alan you're a BNer. Nice no pressure place and they know their stuff. Their Saturday hours vary - call them first if you go on the weekend.

Default If you lived in Beverly Hills...

Where would you go to find niche fragrances? Where would you go generally?
    Pleas feel free to check out my Youtube channel for frag reviews and let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/user/danforz

Default Re: If you lived in Beverly Hills...

If I lived in Beverly Hills, I wouldn't have to go anywhere. They would probably be brought to me. LOL!