Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New York, New York

Madison Avenue Cosmetics
    365 Madison Avenue (45th-46th Street)
    New York, New York 10017
    212 221-6560

This store has great prices and has fragrances that are hard to find.

I purchashed a 3.38oz Caron Pour Homme EDT spray for $19.99 (plus a discount of 15% that is gived to employees of my place of business due to my regular patronage!)

They have very large size bottles of some fragrances - for instance they have a giant bottle of Brut and a very large bottle of Caron Pour Un Homme.

They have Zinzanie, four Roger and Gallet fragrances (including Extra Veille), Aqua Di Selva, Pierre Cardin and a lot more which are hard to find.

My favorite sales assistant is Sandra.

Default Re: New York, New York

All at Basenotes users are welcome to visit our Manhattan showroom located @

1214 Broadway, Suite 208-209
    New York, NY 10001
    (On 30th Street between 5th Avenue and Broadway)

Mention Basenotes and get wholesale distributor prices with no minimum. For more information on our company, visit us on the web at http://www.almayaperfumes.com. (YOU HAVE TO MENTION BASENOTES IN ORDER TO BUY JUST 1 PIECE AT WHOLESALE PRICE!)

Raf

Universal Almaya Distribution Group.
    http://www.almayaperfumes.com

NYC's Fragrance District is worth visiting. From 34th Street, walk south on Broadway for several blocks and you'll find many shops crammed with fragrances from floor to ceiling. Prices are not posted, so you can bargain and there's no sales tax. I got great prices on Dior's Dolce Vita, Bulgari Omnia and others. Some stores have tester bottles in plain packaging. I haven't seen too many truly hard-to-find fragrances but there are many available that are still in production but no longer carried in department stores. Have fun!

Aedes!! Best niche store ever!

Saks 5th Avenue... the orriginal one on Saks and 5th. That is just awesome.

Barneys... one of two places in the US that sells Frederic Malle, and all of his suff too!

Barney's on 59th and Madison is great. I met the most intelligent sales assistants who knew some stuff about what they were selling for once. I always have a grea experience there and would suggest that anyone who comes to NYC have to visit this place. Find the L'Artisan Table and you'll understand...

I will bve going to New York for a couple of days in August. Any places that are a must visit? I am looking for niche stuff of course, as well as shops of indie perfumers (like Le Labo and CB I Hate Perfumes).

Thanks!

bump
    Last edited by Ayala; 6th September 2006 at 09:41 PM.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Le Labo
    233 Elizabeth Street
    (Between Prince and Houston)
    New York, NY, 10012
    1-212-219-2230
    founders@lelabofragrances.com
    http://www.lelabofragrances.com/

CB I Hate Perfume
    Christopher Brosius Ltd
    93 Wythe Avenue
    Brooklyn, NY 11211
    Tel. (718)384.6890
    info@cbihateperfume.com
    http://www.cbihateperfume.com/index2.html

Caron Boutique
    675 Madison Ave
    New York, NY 10022 View Map
    (212) 319-4888

Henri Bendel's (712 Fifth Avenue)
    Olfactory Highlights:
    Lovely l'Artisan Boutique
    Caron Urns (including the lovely Farnesiana)
    Kisu
    Serge Lutens
    Maitre Parfum de Gantier
    Aqaba (the entire line)
    And many, many more...

Aedes De Venustas
    9 Christopher Street
    New York, NY 10014
    phone:212-206-8674
    fax: 212-206-8675
    shop.info@aedes.com
    http://www.aedes.com/brand.php?brand_id=40&cat_id=2
    Olfactory Highlights:
    Serge Lutens
    l'Artisan
    Montale
    Le Parfums de Rosine
    Maitre Parfum de Gantier
    Dyptique
    Jalaine
    Escentric Molecule
    And many more...
    But most of all, the staff is friendly, the setting is intimate and beautiful, very European and inviting.

New London Pharmacy
    on 8th Ave. between 22nd and 23rd Streets
    Olfactory Highlights:
    Miller Harris
    Sage Machado
    Comptoir Sud Pacifique
    Dyptique
    Aqua di Parma
    Carthusia
    And many more...

C. O. Bigelow Apothecary
    414 Sixth Avenue
    New York New York 10011
    Tel. (212) 533 2700
    Olfactory Highlights: Your dream-come-true drugstore, with scents from niche houses such as:
    Patricia de Nicolai
    Lorenzo Villoresi
    Le Parfums de Rosine
    Miller Harris
    AromaM
    And many more...

Takashimaya
    http://www.ny-takashimaya.com/
    Takashimaya
    693 5th Ave
    New York, NY 10022
    Tel. (212) 350-0100
    Unique, mimimalistic atmosphere
    Olfactory highlights:
    The Different Company
    Sage Machado
    Divine
    Maitre Parfum de Gantier
    And some other, less known niche lines

Bergdorf Goodman
    Goodman Address: 754 Fifth Avenue (57th and 58th Streets) (The men's store is located across Fifth Avenue.)
    Closest Subways to Bergdorf Goodman: F, N/R/W, 4/5/6 to 59th Street/Lexington Avenue stop
    1-800-558-1855
    * Monday-Wednesday: 10-7
    * Thursday-Saturday: 10-8
    * Sunday: 11-6
    http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/
    Olfactory Highlights:
    The Guerlain Boutique - including many of the Champs Elyses scents. A must visit! (And don't forget to come with plenty of scent-free skin...).
    JAR boutique
    l'Artisan
    Ineke (perfumer from San Francisco)
    And many other niche and mainstream lines

(MALIN+GOETZ) apothecary
    177 Seventh Ave
    between 20th and 21st Streets
    New York New York 10011
    212 727 3777
    M-F 11-8, Sat 12-8, Sun 12-6
    http://www.malinandgoetz.com/

Barneys New York
    660 Madison Avenue
    New York New York 10021
    Tel. (212) 826 8900 x2020
    Olfactory Highlights:
    Frederic Malle's Editions de Parfums boutique (a must visit if you are not familir with this line!), Strang Invisible Perfumes, Yosh, Commes de Garcon, Costumer Internatnional, l'Artisan, Serge Lutens

Sephora
    http://www.sephora.com/browse/sectio...categoryId=B23

Sephora SOHO
    555 Broadway
    New York NY 10012
    Tel. (212) 625 1309

Sephora on 5th Avenue
    597 Fifth Avenue @48th St
    New York NY 10017
    Tel. (212) 980 6534
    Olfactory Highlights: Large selection of CSP of various sizes, and a few other niche (Aquolina, Fresh, Alan Cumming, Le Maison de Vanille, Philosophy) and mainstream houses of course.

Bloomingdale's (1000 Third Avenue)

Saks Fifth Avenue (611 Fifth Avenue)
    Olfactory Highlights:
    Caron Urns
    Bond No. 9 (including urns)
    Annick Goutal (urns as well)

Macy's (151 West 34th St)
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Let me second the Fragrance District. It's an unimaginable paradise for a BNer. I've shopped all over the world and have never seen anything like this. Imagine at least 20 stores in close proximity with floor to ceiling stock, and prices so low you'll be buying everything in sight. Its about the lowest of low prices you'll ever see at Marshalls/TJMaxx or on ebay but with no shipping charge and no tax. On a recent trip I bought Bulgari Black tester in its factory brown box with cap (obviously) for $18; Iceberg twice big size for $12; Bulgari PH tester big size for $18, Burberry Brit tester for $23 -- all without any bargaining. As stated, you can bargain for sure, or even have the guy next door beat the other guys price, but at these prices it wasn't worth the hassle to me. And, although you may not find the rarest stuff, the selection is great, Creed is certainly there as well as full lines of "common" stuff, like the full Bulgari line in every size available as well as testers galore. Have fun!

I Definately Agree With The Fragrance Dist. Unless You Want A Really High-end Frag, This Place Is The Best. You Can Find Testers For The Popular Scents As Well As Very Reasonable Prices (ESPECIALLY COMPARED TO DEPT STORES) Plus No Tax What So Ever. And The More Frags You Buy The Better The Prices You Get. I This B/c During Christmas I Give All Of My Friends And Some Co-workers Fragrances. But Beware Of Some Designer Copies. I Had A Friend Who Went To But Issey Miyake For Men And Came Home With Eissey Miami. So Becareful But Otherwise This Place Is Perfume Paradise.

Santa Maria Novella
    285 Lafayette St (Cross Street: Between Houston Street and Prince Street)
    New York, NY 10012
    (212) 925-0001
    Their own brand as well as Lorenzo Villoresi.
    Huge, beautiful loft style store.
    A must, just a few blocks from Le Labo.

Exclamation Re: New York, New York

Note on another area in NYC that has fragrances available at a discount.

The street separating the northern Chinatown from southern Little Italy is Canal Street.

On Canal Street, from the street called The Bowery going a couple of blocks west is a jewelry district (not the official diamond district), with legitimate jewelry, some antique, some new, some of both is beautiful; but caveat emptor.

Going further west on Canal (you're headed towards "SOHO") you'll start to see cheap-o jewelry, discounted fragrances (and lots of other interesting stuff). You'll also see obvious con-men trying to get you to follow them into empty alleys to get, ahem, "Reel Rollexx watches." In the legit tiny stalls / stores you'll see some nice collections of designer fragrances. Seems most of the frags are legit but some of the vendors try to pass things like genuine "Cool Water" deodorant spray off as discounted EDT if you aren't careful. So, know your merchandise and prices before you leave and have fun bargain hunting in this part of NYC.

Frank

"Free advice is seldom cheap."
    - Ferengi Rule of Acquistion No. 59
    "Win or lose, there's always Hupyrian beetle snuff."
    - Ferengi Rule of Acquistion No. 65

I'm sure to browse through this thread again before my next NYC trip. So for my own future benefit, if nothing else, I wanted to keep track of a related discussion in the Female Fragrance board: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=194684
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

On Broadway and Canal street the going rate for a 4oz bottle of SMW is $30.
    Found it for $19. Paint chipping. Box looked legit as ever. These stores scare me.
    Last edited by bigsink; 5th April 2007 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What shops on Broadway do you recommend? I want to buy a 4oz bottle of Creed GIT. I bought a 1oz bottle near Union Square for $60 and ran out.

BTW, if shopping in Chinatown, please be wary of the fake bottles. I asked for Creed GIT and got "Creet Green Irish Tweet" instead. Box and bottle looked exactly like the real thing but upon closer inspection, I saw the slight irregularities. Plus, I knew something was up when he bargained down to $30 for a 4oz bottle.

Does anyone know of any places around here that specifically sell essential oils or fragrance oils that you can blend to make your own perfumes? An aspiring perfumer wants to know!

Opone, Hinoki...

A friend of mine is going to NY and he is willing to buy these impossible-to-find-in-Sweden fragrances. Does anybody know where to send him, preferably one store that keeps them both...

Thanks
    Pelle

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    Opone, Hinoki...

A friend of mine is going to NY and he is willing to buy these impossible-to-find-in-Sweden fragrances. Does anybody know where to send him, preferably one store that keeps them both...

Thanks
    Pelle
    Pelle, at the moment everyone seems to be sold out of Hinoki with the exception of Jeffrey, 449 W. 14th Street, though your friend might try the CdG boutique a few blocks north on 22nd Street to see if it's back in stock. Opone is available at Aedes, 15 Christopher Street.
    "Oh, my Lolita, I have only words to play with!"
    - Vladimir Nabokov,
    Lolita

Blog Entries

does anyone know of any shops here that have Cuiron in stock? am looking to back up my supply....

oh, and nice quite in your signature Morgan Creek....Nabokov was THE man.

Banned

WOW Huge thanks for the list Ayala! Will be very helpful if I ever happen to stop by NYC! (or phone orders )

Thanks for all the listings. I'll be in NY next week and I'll be checking all of these store out.

My aunt is going to NYC and was hoping to find Absolutement Absinthe and Divine L'Infante. Does anyone know any brick-n-mortar in the City?
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

I just wanted to echo Ayala's recommendation of Aedes De Venustas. It's a really cool space, the people are nice, they had some wonderful little dogs in there today--and oh yeah, there are lots of hard-to-find fragrances too In that vein, they have a bunch of Creed, as well as all the stuff that Ayala listed above. In particular, I was happy to see all the Montale aouds; I had never smelled the red one.
    Last edited by qxtc07; 9th June 2008 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by qxtc07 View Post
    I just wanted to echo Ayala's recommendation of Aedes De Venustas. It's a really cool space, the people are nice, they had some wonderful little dogs in there today--and oh yeah, there are lots of hard-to-find fragrances too In that vein, they have a bunch of Creed, as well as all the stuff that Ayala listed above. In particular, I was happy to see all the Montale aouds; I had never smelled the red one.

I love this place and have been there many times. The only beef I have is that every time I have been there they are out of stock of my particular selection. The good thing is that they will do all to get your selection promptly and they do return phone calls.

Concerning the Fragrance District, I have noticed that their pricing difference between them and Dept. Stores is becoming marginal.

Best,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 12th June 2008 at 05:21 PM.
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

I am flying to NY tomorow, I wonder where I can find Apres l'Ondee ?

Default New York City

Going to NYC in a couple of months. Does anyone know a place that sells Czech & Speake? Would also love any other pointers for places besides Aedes, Saks, and Barneys...they are already on the list.
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Default Best option in NYC?

I know there are already 2-4 other NYC threads here, but this is a little more specific so I hope nobody minds.

On Friday I'll be hopping in a car with 3 other guys and taking off for NYC, and by Monday we'll be on our way home. Of course, this means that my time in the city is limited and, although I'd love to, I can't spend a day browsing fragrance boutiques. I would though, like to visit at least one or two. So what's going to be the most worth it? Aedes? The Creed or Bond No. 9 stores? If I buy anything, it'll be small (and definitely not a Creed or Bond) because the majority of the little money I'm bringing is so that I can eat, so I'm hoping to stop by somewhere that is a little bit generous with testers and giving out samples.

Default Re: Best option in NYC?

Go to Aedes. Buy something.
    Bigelow and Enfleurage are an easy walk from there.

Your second best option is the Fifth Ave area with Bergdorf, Henri Bendel, and others.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I was able to stop by Aedes, the bond street Bond No. 9 store, and MiN.
    Aedes was absolutely stunning. When I shyly asked about a sample or two, the owner asked me what all I was interested in, disappeared for a minute, then came back up from the basement with a gift sack full of samples. He then got out some vials and made me some Amouage samples and one of the Aedes EDP. In total, about 25 samples. Such nice people with a true passion for fragrance.

The Bond store was neat, but as an 18 year old guy I felt a little out of place. The woman who was 'helping' me was very friendly, talkative, and nice, but it was very clear that she knew I wasn't going to be dropping $200 on a bottle, so she was just sort of babysitting and making sure I didn't touch too much. I was hoping to try out a few more things there than I did, but she was nice enough to send me out the door with a few samples.

I had no clue that MiN was a fragrance store, I just walked in out of curiosity. The guy working there was fantastic. He gave my friend and I a mini tour of the store, going from brand to brand and showing us what he liked and then spraying anything that we were interested in, and also providing a few samples. It was great to experience all of the CB I Hate Perfumes, Miller Harris, and Penhaligons stuff.

Sadly, I only spent about $160 dollars over the course of 3 days, and most of that was on food. I could have bought some fake GIT in Chinatown, but I figured it probably wasn't the best idea.

The girls at the Diptyque store on Bleecker seemed to be pretty generous with samples.

Just north of NYC in White Plains, NY (also just a few miles south of Greenwich, CT) is a place called Eau de Luxe. Carries a wide range of stuff from commercial to niche - Amouage, Creed, Serge Lutens, by Kilians, etc...- in store and specializes in hard to find items. Prices are about the same or better than many of the online sites (also currently running a "text to phone promotions" for a 20% discount) and ofetn supplies to Fragrancenet, fragrancex, beautyencounter,etc... The owner is very personable and a pleasure to deal with. No web site yet but may be reached by e-mail at eaudeluxe@gmail.com or by phone at 914-328-3358. The street address is 188 Martine Ave., White Plains, NY 10601.

Basenotes Institution

They sell the entire Comme des Garcons line at a small store (in Midtown) called Opening Ceremony - which is located inside the Ace Hotel: http://www.acehotel.com/newyork/shopping. Of course you could always just go to Barneys (Uptown) or the CdG boutique (in SoHo) but the OC store is a bit more centrally located.

Hey guys, let me start out by saying I have no affiliation with this store, but i thought you guys should be aware of MIN New York. Like Aedes, they're a small NY boutique that carries a huge variety of perfume lines.

They carry the full lines of By Killian, Amouage, Penhaligans, Trumpers, L'Artisan, Perfume d'Empire, Linari, Bigelow, CB I Hate Perfume, Miller Harris, Taylor of Old Bond St, Frapin, Czech and Speake and a few others.

They are not far from where I work in lower Manhattan so I've become a lunch-hour regular. Very knowledgeable and friendly staff. Defiantly worth a visit if you're coming to the Big Apple.

https://minnewyork.com/

Sahara International Shop
    142-60 Rockaway Blvd.
    S. Ozone Park, NY 11436
    Ph : 718-404-9417

Sahara's has a large variety of Exotic oils , oriental perfumes and arabic incense

The store carries brands like Rasasi and Surrati which are big names in the middle-east for Oud , agarwood

For the would be perfumers in the house or folks who just want to smell specific notes outside of a blend- check out:
    Enfleurage at 321 Bleecker Street, (between Christopher and Grove) New York, NY 10014
    http://enfleurage.com/
    They carry rare and hard to find essences that the store owner personally sources from around the world.
    "the earth laughs in flowers"
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lafco NY -- 285 Lafayette Street (2 blocks east of Broadway, just south of Houston)

They carry a ton of Santa Maria Novella stuff (as the official distributors of the line in the U.S.), as well as Lorenzo Villoresi and Eau d'Italie's home and beauty lines.

Beautiful store, with a pretty big selection of candles (including their own handmade ones) and whatever else people use to scent their homes (not my kind of thing so I didn't pay attention).

-----

I had a list of every line that Henri Bendel carries somewhere and now I can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    I had a list of every line that Henri Bendel carries somewhere and now I can't find it.
    Found it.

I am under the impression Bendel gets new lines and ditches slow-moving ones on a fairly regular basis. Accurate-ish as of two weeks ago.:

Aftelier
    Ajne (I think, I can't make out my own shorthand)
    Annick Goutal
    Azagury
    Caron
    Carthusia
    Child
    Chloe
    Chanel (main line only, no Exclusifs)
    Comptoir Sud Pacifique
    Escentric
    Etat Libre d'Orange
    Histoires de Parfums
    Honore de Pres
    Juliette Has A Gun
    L'Artisan (separate mini boutique)
    Les Senteurs Gourmandes
    Lubin
    Nasomatto
    Kai
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Memoire Liquide (with personalized fragrance booth)
    Molinard
    Neil Morris
    Nez a Nez
    Povoy (?? Shorthand malfunction?)
    Profumi del Forte
    Six Scents: Series 1, 2, 3
    Smiley
    So Oud
    Velvet Rope

queen of the universe

So glad someone pointed me to this thread. I'm in NYC this coming week. Aedes sounds wonderful!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Default Where to Shop in NYC

I am fortunate that I have been assigned to work in Manhattan for a few months. I would like to use this time to explore some exclusive fragrance boutiques and perhaps even treat myself to two or three. So the question is, other than Bond 9, can anyone recommend any great places to shop for men's fragrance. Thaks for the assistance.

Default Re: Where to Shop in NYC

Enjoy the city!

My favorite smelling destinations: For niche: Aedes de Venustas (down on Christopher street, many brands from Amouage, Serge Lutens etc etc), Henri Bendel (Etat Libre, Artisan parfumeur, Maitre Gantier etc etc), Barneys (Malle etc etc).
    Also, Bergdorf Goodman (both male and female sides. Includes Amouage and a full-range Guerlain counter); Chanel boutique (for the Chanel exclusives and the Chanel extraits).
    A few brands also have standalone boutiques (eg Le Labo, Malle), but they can also be found at some of the above.

cacio

Blog Entries

NYC is a fun place to shop for perfumes!

Here are some threads that may help:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/177...-York-New-York

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/177...-option-in-NYC

Not to forget the wholesale fragrance district between 23rd street and 32nd on Broadway for cheapies and designer scents. Cash only accepted. Understanding Punjabi or Urdu is a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Enjoy the city!

My favorite smelling destinations: For niche: Aedes de Venustas (down on Christopher street, many brands from Amouage, Serge Lutens etc etc), Henri Bendel (Etat Libre, Artisan parfumeur, Maitre Gantier etc etc), Barneys (Malle etc etc).
    Also, Bergdorf Goodman (both male and female sides. Includes Amouage and a full-range Guerlain counter); Chanel boutique (for the Chanel exclusives and the Chanel extraits).
    A few brands also have standalone boutiques (eg Le Labo, Malle), but they can also be found at some of the above.

cacio
    Aedes have a a good selection of scents, but few truly exclusive that cannot be bought elsewhere.

Be prepared to be scowled at or received a snippy answer when you ask questions. The rudeness of the staff have already been discussed on the boards.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

I've had only positive experiences with Aedes, but then I've only visited the store in person, never had to deal with them over the phone as Primrose did, and we have not been treated rudely in person.

The owners/salespeople will let you test without interference, and will assist you when you request it. They are also generous with samples. That is enough for me as a shopper. Visit and form your own opinions, is my advice.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 16th September 2011 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    The owners/salespeople will let you test without interference, and will assist you when you request it. They are also generous with samples.
    That has been my experience also.

The wholesale fragrance district between 23rd street and 32nd on Broadway for cheapies and designer scents. Cash only accepted.

I'm off to New York (first trip to the US) in late November, and will be taking the opportunity to shop for fragrances.

Does anywhere stock L'air du Desert Marocain by Tauer perfurmes?

I have a Guerlain and Chanel exclusifs on my list, but LDDM was going to make the top 3 on the must purchase list.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tyler-durden View Post
    I'm off to New York (first trip to the US) in late November, and will be taking the opportunity to shop for fragrances.

Does anywhere stock L'air du Desert Marocain by Tauer perfurmes?

I have a Guerlain and Chanel exclusifs on my list, but LDDM was going to make the top 3 on the must purchase list.

Thanks.
    Tauer's website lists this salon in NYC:

USA: Woodley and Bunny, 196 N 10th street, Brooklny, NY 11211, www.woodleyandbunny.com

The website didn't show LDDM in its list of Tauer frags, but I phoned to inquire. The woman I spoke to said LDDM is temporarily out of stock; the package containing LDDM is stuck in Customs (she said) but added that they should have it back in stock in about 2 weeks.

If you know for sure you want one, you might ask them to reserve you a bottle.

Default Wanted: NYC shopping experience, sublime to ridiculous!

At the end of the month, I'm going to be in NYC for a day or two, with some time on my hands to do some sniffing if not buying. Mainly, I'm after two (window)shopping experiences:

1/ The craziest and most frantic possible, just to feel what it feels like, in the presence of hopped-up SAs that won't take no for an answer. I'm thinking the Macy's on 34th Street. Think that'll be my best bet? Any other suggestions in this category? What about places that'll take one look at my tattered sneakers and not give me the time of day? (P.S., I'm trying to stay beneath 34th Street ...)

2/ The most delightful and sublime. Are there one or two shops where just stepping into them is going to cleanse me of all that I just experienced in, say, Macy's?

Thanks for any suggestions y'all might have!
    My Swap Wants, decants and/or bottles: Ambre Précieux ... Borneo 1834 ... Musc Ravageur ... Muscs Koublaď Khän ... Micalllef Patchouli ... Patchouli 24 ... Tonatto RE ... Patchouly Indonesiano ... Patchouli Antique ... Labdanum 18 ... Poivre 23 ... Vetiver Bourbon ... Kingdom ... Piper Nigrum ... and similar ...

Please see [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/287375-A*men-Pepper-Bandit-Coromandel-Jicky-S-ex-Yatagan-many-more!-(US-only)"] [U]my swap thread[/U][/URL] for what I have to offer. Lots of big names, lots of niche, just lots, including decants of the brand new A*Men Chili Pepper and Czech & Speake No. 88 ....

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wanted: NYC shopping experience, sublime to ridiculous!

For the sublime, where you can test all you like and not be bugged to buy, I recommend Aedes de Venustas on Christopher Street in Greenwich Village. Lots of great niche fragrances to try. From what I've read (I haven't been there yet) another may be MiN New York.

I avoid places where SAs push me to buy, so can't recommend any in NYC.

I second 30 Roses with Aedes de Venustas in the Village and MiN NY on Crosby St. While you're near Aedes, stop by Bigelow and Co on 6th Ave/ Greenwich. There you'll find a huge selection of rare niche brands such as Nasamotto, Maison Francis Kurkjian, Cartusia, etc.

If you're into Bond No. 9, stop by their flagship store at 9 Bond St. Customer Service there is unbelievable. Ask for Veronica or Karina.

As for your first idea, Macy's is a good choice. If you don't mind going a little north of 34th (49th and 5th to be exact) a better option is Saks 5th. You'll get the same frantic snooty treatment, but there's a much better selection.

Henri Bendel
    Min NY
    Aedes
    Bergdorf
    Saks
    Barneys

Macy's and Bloomingdales for the first type of experience

I tend to prefer the area around 57th for perfumes, as indicated by hednic (Henri Bendel, Bergdorf, Chanel, Dior, Barneys). Apart from Aedes, it's hard to think of a richer and plusher place than Bergdorf Goodman, or with quirkier niche than Henri Bendel. But if you want to stay under 34th, for sublime experience, +1 Aedes for niche (and +1 nearby Bigelow on 6th, which has some interesting brands too).

I don't think anybody really cares about the look, at least south of 34th, so I can't think of experience (1). Other stores in Soho I like are the Le Labo on elizabeth street (and Aesop in front of it, for Mystra and Marrakech), the Chanel boutique, and Odin on Lafayette (for Odin and Histoires de parfums).

cacio

Suggestion from a New Yorker: avoid Macy's -- its really depressing this time of year. Unless you are into feeling like cattle being prodded by part time sales staff who don't know anything about fragrance.

My suggestion: go downtown.

Le Labo
    two stores down is the new: Artelier fragrance store
    Aedes
    MIN
    Lafco
    Bloomingdales
    Bond
    Diptyche

Bergdorfs and Barneys - you've knocked out a lot of fragrance lines in just two places. Add some boutiques if you have time. The Creed Boutique is a few blocks north of Barneys. It's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Hound_Dog View Post
    NYC's Fragrance District is worth visiting. From 34th Street, walk south on Broadway for several blocks and you'll find many shops crammed with fragrances from floor to ceiling.
    I can certainly vouch for this. As always with stores like this, you should exercise caution. However, I stopped by Perfume Americana (broadway and 30th Street) today and picked up a 3.4oz Boucheron Pour Homme EDP for $65 with no tax. This fragrance retails for $125 + tax at department stores and is actually very hard to find. Definitely authentic: tight and neat shrink-wrap, quality box with thick cardboard stabilizing interior lid, and completely identical bottle to my department store purchased one that just ran out. For mainstream EDT and EDP (and sometimes gift sets) this store blows away department stores in pricing; even the sales people are very helpful and surprisingly knowledgeable in the area. When I asked the guy about YSL M7 he not only knew that it was discontinued in the US and only sold in Europe, but he offered to call me when they got the occasional shipment in, AND he offered me a 65% discount which was 20% higher than they normally offer customers. Very very good store.

WARNING: sometimes, these stores don't have authentic products, but it should be fairly obvious what's good and what's not. Designers go to great lengths to make everything, from packaging to bottle, look like it's designer quality. If something looks crappy, it's probably fake. It's more of a common sense thing than anything else. But just be wary because even at great places like Perfume Americana I'm sure there will be fakes hiding on the shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by oolafsson View Post
    I can certainly vouch for this. As always with stores like this, you should exercise caution. However, I stopped by Perfume Americana (broadway and 30th Street) today and picked up a 3.4oz Boucheron Pour Homme EDP for $65 with no tax. This fragrance retails for $125 + tax at department stores and is actually very hard to find. Definitely authentic: tight and neat shrink-wrap, quality box with thick cardboard stabilizing interior lid, and completely identical bottle to my department store purchased one that just ran out. For mainstream EDT and EDP (and sometimes gift sets) this store blows away department stores in pricing; even the sales people are very helpful and surprisingly knowledgeable in the area. When I asked the guy about YSL M7 he not only knew that it was discontinued in the US and only sold in Europe, but he offered to call me when they got the occasional shipment in, AND he offered me a 65% discount which was 20% higher than they normally offer customers. Very very good store.

WARNING: sometimes, these stores don't have authentic products, but it should be fairly obvious what's good and what's not. Designers go to great lengths to make everything, from packaging to bottle, look like it's designer quality. If something looks crappy, it's probably fake. It's more of a common sense thing than anything else. But just be wary because even at great places like Perfume Americana I'm sure there will be fakes hiding on the shelves.
    They have a website also where you can order directly online if you can't get to their store.

http://www.namebrandsperfume.com/

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    They have a website also where you can order directly online if you can't get to their store.

http://www.namebrandsperfume.com/
    Yes, hednic is absolutely right here, HOWEVER, if you're able to make it into the store they are flexible on pricing, and in other cases just completely inconsistent. The 3.4oz Boucheron I described in my post above was $65 in the store without any bargaining but is clearly listed at $78, a $13 premium to the in-store pricing, and naturally there is no bargaining through online ordering. Just a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by oolafsson View Post
    The 3.4oz Boucheron I described in my post above was $65 in the store without any bargaining but is clearly listed at $78, a $13 premium to the in-store pricing, and naturally there is no bargaining through online ordering.
    I think the bottom line is they just want to make the sale. If they know you have cash and are ready to buy, in store you can get a better deal and walk away with a cheaper purchase. In any case - a very nifty place.