Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: New York, New York

The only place I can think of is perhaps on the the dusty, dark, rear back shelves of some of the merchants in the NYC Wholesale Fragrance District, along Broadway between 23rd and 33rd and along the arterial streets perpendicular. Sometimes you can find that rare vintage which was left unsold or not noticed.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Wanted: NYC shopping experience, sublime to ridiculous!

IMG_0612.jpg
    So - my first time in the US... NY is a fantastic city!

Day 1:
    I got Ted Lapidus and La Violette from Annick Goutal at the lowest price I´ve seen on the net. I got them in a small shop near Times Square, very pushy seller by the way. But very happy with those! I remember Lapidus from a mini collection from when I was around ten, it was my favorite in that box... And La Violette is just gorgeous violette!

Day 2:
    Emulsione Libera from Peccato Originale. I had never heard of the brand, but when browsing the bottles at MiN NY I stumbled upon this gem. Love at first sniff, flowery/creamy at first then more masculine as time passes. And it was half price which came as a surprise. I also got a bunch of samples from their own brand (The Botanist, Onsen, Shaman).

I also visited New London Pharmacy and Bigelow, both places have a great selection but NLP was unfortunately out of Villoresi Sandalo in the 100 ml bottle, so I passed on the 50 ml.

After High Line we got into the new Parfums de Marly and By Kilian stores, both were empty just us and in both cases extremely nice salesman/woman. Got samples of Marly Kuhuyanand, Kilian Straight to Heaven Extreme and Black Phantom.

Day 3:
    Visited Aedes, trying to find THE Violet fragrance. Sampled a lot, and the sales person were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Got samples of The Different Mind series Vol 2 and Sans un Mot from Jovoy. Will buy something from them next time
    Also got inte the Bond No 9 flagship store. Beautiful place and the sales woman spent a lot of time on us showing the newest stuff. When I told her I I'm more inte dark/vintage smells she showed me the Dubai exclusives which were rather nice. Mi GF loved the Jade and I liked Sapphire, but at USD550 they´re pretty expensive for an untried impulse buy. Which I told the, but no samples there

Day 4:
    Saks 5th Avenue. Impressing perfume selection! My plan was to buy Cartier Oud Radieux OR Oud & Santal after reading some glowing reviews on the latter which I have never tried. It became an easy decision since they were out of Oud & Santal, so I bought the Radieux and got an 8 ml decant of the Oud & Santal as well as several large samples of Oud & Oud, and also a 9 ml mini of the newish L´Envol which is now on my WL...
    I also visited the Prada stand and got samples of Cargo de Nuit and Purple Rain.

I also stumbled into a Diptyque store and tried the boutique exclusives. I was given a sample of Kimonanthe but fell in love with Eau Mage... now on WL...

Day 5:
    Williamsburg & Brooklyn. Twisted Lily. Impressive store! I bought Bruno Fazzolari Eau Dela Narcisse on the spot, and I have never tried anything from the brand before. I also got samples of Carner Barcelona Sandor 70´, Hylnds by DS & Durga and Nishane Vjola.

Later we stepped into Osswalds, also totally fantastic! I walked around on myself and then I asked if I could spray three fragrances that were on my to-try-list since long and they helped me with that. They were Clive Christian No1 for men, Roja Dove Musc Aoud and Amouage Bracken Man. Without asking me they also made me three large spray samples of those really expensive fragrances. Fantastic customer service, and I will come back and purchase perfumes sometime in the future.

Day 6:
    Went to Cambridge Chemists and bought some Czech & Speake No 88 shaving soaps refills (made in Italy). I also went to Barneys (not so impressed, extremely pushy sales people, small space) and Bergdorf & Goodman (VERY impressed). I was in a hurry to the flight at this time which was good because I was stuck in the Roja Dove Corner.
    I also tried some Krigler and really like number 24, maybe next time

New York was as I said fabolous and I will definitely return.
    Last edited by pelle; 30th April 2017 at 08:39 PM.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Wanted: NYC shopping experience, sublime to ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    IMG_0612.jpg
    Text coming soon
    I imagine these are the goodies you picked up on your trip. Well done!

- - - Updated - - -

You really made the most of it covering a lot of space. You hit most of the important fragrance venues!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: New York, New York

Pelle, sounds like you had a great trip! You were busy!

I also love Osswald's...they understand that making samples makes customers.

On my trip this time I visited CB I Hate Perfume for the first time and it was so. cool. It was so cool I felt cool just being there. And the SA Russell was fantastic. He was really helpful and informative but also happy to give us some room to try things out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk