Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default New Yorkers please help!

I am going to New York in April and I desperately want to get bottles of Mona di orio Vanille and Oud. Does anyone know if it is possible to et Monas fragrances in NY?

Default Re: New Yorkers please help!

Quote Originally Posted by sketchwars View Post
    I am going to New York in April and I desperately want to get bottles of Mona di orio Vanille and Oud. Does anyone know if it is possible to et Monas fragrances in NY?
    Her website shows the only place to get it on the east coast is in Delaware: http://www.monadiorio.com/boutiques
    "Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime." - Ernest Hemingway

Default Re: New York, New York

The Perfume Shoppe in Rehoboth Beach didn't have any of her line in store when I was there, but they can have them sent from the Vancouver store according to the SA.

New York City, with a population of over 8.1 million, is the most populous city in the United States. It is known for its status as a center for finance and culture and for its status as the largest gateway for immigration to the United States. According to the U.S. Department of Commerce, it is also a destination of choice for many foreign visitors. Both the state and city were named for the 17th century Duke of York, James Stuart, future James II and VII of England and Scotland.

Anybody know of a retail outlet carrying Vero Kern in Manhattan?

No luck on MIN or Aedes websites (or her own). A friend is heading over in a week or so and offered to pick up something for me - time for Onda!

Many thanks.

PS Thanks to Kevin for replying privately. My friend is over there and it seems Aedes & Min are not carrying the line - shame, I would thought Manhattan would provide an audience for her exceptionally cutting edge and sophisticated work . . .
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 26th May 2012 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rnovak View Post
    Just north of NYC in White Plains, NY (also just a few miles south of Greenwich, CT) is a place called Eau de Luxe. Carries a wide range of stuff from commercial to niche - Amouage, Creed, Serge Lutens, by Kilians, etc...- in store and specializes in hard to find items. Prices are about the same or better than many of the online sites (also currently running a "text to phone promotions" for a 20% discount) and ofetn supplies to Fragrancenet, fragrancex, beautyencounter,etc... The owner is very personable and a pleasure to deal with. No web site yet but may be reached by e-mail at eaudeluxe@gmail.com or by phone at 914-328-3358. The street address is 188 Martine Ave., White Plains, NY 10601.
    Not sure if they moved or closed altogether, but I walked by there and this storefront is empty as of today.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

This is an outstanding thread. Very useful.

I have had good experiences at Saks. The salespeople are friendly and generous with samples, especially the Kilian people. I have enough rose oud in samples that I don't think I'll have to buy a bottle for some time. Also, they seem willing to sell the refills without you having to buy the orIginal. I purchased the travel refills, and am pretty sure I could have gotten a 50ml refill for 135.

They also give out 4oz Tom ford private line samples. Neiman and bergdorf wouldn't give me any Tom ford samples.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know of a store in the fragrance district that sells TF private blends?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Found it.

I am under the impression Bendel gets new lines and ditches slow-moving ones on a fairly regular basis. Accurate-ish as of two weeks ago.:

Aftelier
    Ajne (I think, I can't make out my own shorthand)
    Annick Goutal
    Azagury
    Caron
    Carthusia
    Child
    Chloe
    Chanel (main line only, no Exclusifs)
    Comptoir Sud Pacifique
    Escentric
    Etat Libre d'Orange
    Histoires de Parfums
    Honore de Pres
    Juliette Has A Gun
    L'Artisan (separate mini boutique)
    Les Senteurs Gourmandes
    Lubin
    Nasomatto
    Kai
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Memoire Liquide (with personalized fragrance booth)
    Molinard
    Neil Morris
    Nez a Nez
    Povoy (?? Shorthand malfunction?)
    Profumi del Forte
    Six Scents: Series 1, 2, 3
    Smiley
    So Oud
    Velvet Rope
    I think it's Jovoy...my memory associates this spelling pattern with some very "un-niche-like", if not tacky spherical bottles

I would welcome updates on Manahattan perfume shopping since I will be taking my first trip in a couple of months! Very excited.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I would welcome updates on Manahattan perfume shopping since I will be taking my first trip in a couple of months! Very excited.
    Twisted Lily in Brooklyn; Osswalds; Bergdorf for JAR; CB I Hate Perfume (might need an appointment). MiN's a bit hit or miss, but the place looks kind of cool; I don't have anything good to say about Aedes, but you should still check it out I guess.

Basenotes Plus

Perfume shopping in New York is endless. Deadidol mentioned just a few. Don't forget Barney's and Henri Bendel.

For Bergdorf, they have a Men's store and Women's store. The big perfume department is in the Women's store.

How long are you going for?

I will be in Manhattan for 6 nights. I have very few plans and expect to just find what the city offers on a day to day basis.I am surprised you say MiN is a hit or miss! Really? That is the one place I thought would be my first visit. Hmmm...
    Last edited by Akahina; 12th April 2014 at 03:01 PM.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I am surprised you say MiN is a hit or miss! Really? That is the one place I thought would be my first visit. Hmmm...
    It's in a good shopping area and the space itself is nice. The selection is okay. That's all I'm gonna say

Mentioned this in another thread but Juju S'Amuse on Lexington Avenue between 82nd and 83rd carries Oriza L. Legrand, Olfactive Studio, and Eutopie. Henri Bendel as mentioned above is constantly changing their offerings. They now have Dorin and CB I Hate Perfumes among other lines.
    Last edited by hednic; 12th April 2014 at 04:07 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Hednic and Deadidol: I think both of you have read my posts and know me well enough to know my tastes. If you are so inclined and care to look at my wardrobe I would love suggestions of houses to explore. Living where I do I have limited exposure to many niche houses but I have some. I have pretty much explored what is to be had in Portland and in San Francisco I have visited and explored what Barneys, Saks and Neiman-Marcus have to offer plus the Hermes and Dyptique stores and the limited selection at Gumps which most people never mention. I know I want to sniff out Mancera but there are so many more and really need some suggestions. Thanks in advance!
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

I'd probably need to think about it a little more and maybe add to the list, but I'd actually focus chiefly on the things in the NY stores that you can't find anywhere else. Honestly, it'd be quite a massive list to compile. So were I you, I'd assume you can smell almost anything that Barney's, Saks, and, Bergdorf has anywhere else except for a couple of key things:

JAR, for example, is only in Bergdorf. You should try that entire line as you won't find them anywhere else, but just be warned about the prices and save your pennies just in case

I think the Luten's Bell Jars are only in NY and LA right now, and they represent the best stuff that Lutens has to offer, so I'd look at:

Musc Koublai Khan
    Boxeuses
    Irish Silver Mist
    Sarrasins
    Serge Noir
    El Attarine
    De Profundis
    Chene

and Barney's probably still has exclusive rights to:

DS & Durga:
    Isle Ryder

Aside from that, I can't think of anything else right now that you can't find elsewhere. Bergdorf has Roja Dove, but they might be a bit too pedestrian. They're essentially new takes on older styles with laughably obscene price tag. They're excellent, don't get me wrong, but I can't imagine they'll do that much for you. Diaghilev's nice, though. Similar to Clive Christian, they're just expensive for the sake of being expensive. Osswalds has them too.

MiN has exclusivity with Kerosene, but aside from "Creature" (his best scent by a mile), I can't imagine it'd be your thing. Aedes have a couple of their own scents (I don't like them myself, but you should smell the rhubarb one). Twisted Lily is probably the best bet for an experience closer to something like Scent Bar, and I'd definitely seek out CB I Hate People's stuff. You should be able to find them in the city somewhere without actually having to go to the Brooklyn shop.

If you've never been to Le Labo, that's worth a visit. It's close to MiN and Santa Maria Novella in SoHo.

Last: pro-tip. Demeter have massive displays of their whole line in drugstores in NY. The Duane Reade on 35th and Broadway should have them all. Honestly, some of them are pretty decent and they're like $15 each or something. I still wear Funeral Home quite often.

If I think of more, I'll let you know, but I'd hit the NY only stuff first and foremost.
    Last edited by deadidol; 13th April 2014 at 08:12 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Twisted Lily now offers DS Durga and have just added Masque Milano. Osswalds offered the full range from Profumum, MDCI and several others.

I think you will find the experiences at Twisted Lily and Osswalds quite enjoyable. As Deadidol mentioned or subtly referenced, others can be a bit pretentious or off putting.

Wherever you wind up Akahina on your fragrance journey, take a few credit cards with you that have lots of room to absorb!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Looks like Osswalds and Bergdorf are on my short list. Will probably go to Barneys too since their SF store treats me so well and I need to check out the bell jars there. JAR is something I have never sampled so I must seek them out too. Thanks for the help shortening my list! I also need to seek out Guerlain, which I think is Saks. And if I make it to Brooklyn, Twisted Lily too!
    Last edited by Akahina; 13th April 2014 at 08:13 PM.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Twisted Lily now offers DS Durga and have just added Masque Milano.
    I just discovered Twisted Lily the other day, which is Parfum1's retail store in Brooklyn. Don't know how I had never heard of it.

I asked Stamatis, at Parfum1, if he thought they might be able to add a couple of houses that I'm currently interested in, and he said they couldn't at Parfum1, but might be able to add them at their other website, www.twistedlily.com.

Learn something new every day!
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Twisted Lily will be offering a loyalty/rewards program soon - was informed by the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Twisted Lily will be offering a loyalty/rewards program soon - was informed by the owner.
    That's what I was hoping for. Hopefully, they will be adding some more houses, too.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Sorry to cross post this, but:

So after stopping by Henri Bendel in Manhattan today I was greeted with both good news and bad news. Bad news is that Henri Bendel will no longer be carrying fragrances after the end of July (2014), but the good news is that they are currently offering 40% off what they have left. They still have a lot of great scents left. Some houses I remember off the top of my head are:

-Jovoy
    -Agonist
    -Histoires de Parfums
    -Lubin
    -So Oud
    -Annick Goutal
    -Memoire Liquide
    -Robert Piguet
    -Boadicea The Victorious
    -L'Artisan Parfumeur
    -Blood Concept
    -CB I Hate Perfume
    -Le Parfum D'Interdits
    -Maria Candida Gentile
    -Escentric Molecules
    -Tauer
    -Eight and Bob
    -Joya
    -Jardins D'ecrivains
    -Maison Dorin
    -Undergreen
    -Caron
    -Perris Monte Carlo
    -The Vagabond Prince

...and a few more. They are also still selling the Illuminum line of fragrances as well, but none of those are marked down. The sales representative said the reason they are discontinuing "third party" fragrances is that Henri Bendel is going to be refocusing it's efforts on it's own line of fragrances in the future. Hope some people can take advantage of this awesome sale! I picked up a bottle of Jovoy: Private Label and Agonist: Black Amber before I left. Happy Shopping!

Sad as for many years they were great for picking up certain houses. Nevertheless, was able to avail myself of a few of their current offerings.

I was just there a couple of days ago and picked up some total steals.

For someone who's new to fragrances but is looking for great deals on unique scents, what would you guys recommend I check out at Henri Bendel? I live in NYC so I can get to the store tomorrow. I do have a budget, however... I'm trying not to spend too much right now. Would appreciate any advice!

Quote Originally Posted by dhc View Post
    For someone who's new to fragrances but is looking for great deals on unique scents, what would you guys recommend I check out at Henri Bendel? I live in NYC so I can get to the store tomorrow. I do have a budget, however... I'm trying not to spend too much right now. Would appreciate any advice!
    If they have any left of the Maison Dorin fragrances, my suggestion would be to check those out.

I appreciate the suggestion!

If they have any left of the Maison Dorin fragrances, my suggestion would be to check those out.
    Was at Henri Bendel again yesterday. The sale has gone up to 50%off now. They still have the Maison Dorin fragrances, but what they have (on the whole) is beginning to thin out. Seeing that you are new to fragrances (@dhc), this is a good opportunity to sniff around at a decent selection of fragrances that you can grab for a great deal.

Thanks, will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hat and Beard View Post
    Was at Henri Bendel again yesterday. The sale has gone up to 50%off now. They still have the Maison Dorin fragrances, but what they have (on the whole) is beginning to thin out.
    Guess I should have waited a little longer. Oh well...

You can get a price adjustment up to 10 days after your purchase if you've got your receipt

Guess I should have waited a little longer. Oh well...

You can get a price adjustment up to 10 days after your purchase if you've got your receipt
    Well I thank you for that piece of good news!

Bumping this thread because my trip is coming up SOON! Any fresh suggestions are very welcom.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Can you get the adjustment even if you purchase over the phone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Which offerings from maison dorin are good pick ups for Men? Can't seem to find alot of info about this house as well as prices, sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy1985 View Post
    Which offerings from maison dorin are good pick ups for Men? Can't seem to find alot of info about this house as well as prices, sizes.

The following are very nice IMO:
    Un Air d’Amour Pour Monsieur,
    Un Air de Paris Spicy,
    Un Air de d’Arabie Oud,
    Un Air de d’Arabie Musk
    Un Air de Paris Classic

All 80ml

The following are very nice IMO:
    Un Air d’Amour Pour Monsieur,
    Un Air de Paris Spicy,
    Un Air de d’Arabie Oud,
    Un Air de d’Arabie Musk
    Un Air de Paris Classic

All 80ml
    Thanks I'll give them a try.

Thanks I'll give them a try.

Just a quick note to add: Twisted Lily in Brooklyn used to stock this line also, but they have been listed out of stock for months now and the brand isn't even listed on the pull down menu from the home page. Only a search of the name Dorin brings up images of what they used to have in stock which suggests to me they may be phasing out the line if they haven't already. Therefore, should you find any at Bendels that are to your liking you might want to seriously consider picking them up as I don't believe there is any other place currently in the US carrying the line.

Just a quick note to add: Twisted Lily in Brooklyn used to stock this line also, but they have been listed out of stock for months now and the brand isn't even listed on the pull down menu from the home page. Only a search of the name Dorin brings up images of what they used to have in stock which suggests to me they may be phasing out the line if they haven't already. Therefore, should you find any at Bendels that are to your liking you might want to seriously consider picking them up as I don't believe there is any other place currently in the US carrying the line.
    Yeah I notice that when I was trying to search for more info on this house. I couldn't find no place that carries them online. Is the quality there for the fragrances that you've tried? They will have to be blind buys for me.

Yeah I notice that when I was trying to search for more info on this house. I couldn't find no place that carries them online. Is the quality there for the fragrances that you've tried? They will have to be blind buys for me.

Speaking only for myself, the quality is exceptional. They are very well crafted and have very nice longevity. Have owned all the ones I previously listed for quite a while and recently purchased two more. The house while not very well known here is well known in France and my guess in other select areas of the world too.

Regarding the price adjustment on previous orders they will only take up to 50% off even if you order is the now 60%.

Regarding the price adjustment on previous orders they will only take up to 50% off even if you order is the now 60%.
    Still a super deal.

Still a super deal.
    Most definitely. Deals like this don't come often.

Quote Originally Posted by oolafsson View Post
    Yes, hednic is absolutely right here, HOWEVER, if you're able to make it into the store they are flexible on pricing, and in other cases just completely inconsistent. The 3.4oz Boucheron I described in my post above was $65 in the store without any bargaining but is clearly listed at $78, a $13 premium to the in-store pricing, and naturally there is no bargaining through online ordering. Just a heads up.
    Nice one Hednic, You always seem to go above and beyond the call of duty. Kudos.
    John aka Easykiller

For anyone making a trip to NYC, my two favorites are Osswald and Twisted Lily. Great selection of fragrances and great customer service; their staff are very friendly, knowledgeable, and passionate about their work. Aside from sharing MFK, Amouage, and a few other lines, their selections are very different from one another too.
    My crystal flacon page: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=648

My top 10:

1) Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    2) SHL Black Gemstone
    3) MDCI Invasion Barbare
    4) Amouage Jubilation XXV
    5) Morabito Or Black
    6) House of Matriarch Blackbird
    7) Puredistance M
    8) Armani Bois d'Encens
    9) Turtle Vetiver Back
    10) Hermes Bel Ami

I just got back from NYC and had a great time! Sacs was good and all the SAs were very friendly and I got a couple of samples...but they seemed hungry to make a sale. Barneys is good no matter where I go but I have to say that their fragrance department is so much smaller, cramped even when compared to their SF store...and this is their flagship store? Odd. But I always like Barneys. I was surprised they charged me for shipping which the SF store never has. Unfortunately I missed Osswalds. It was on my map which I left at home and I was just a block away. Crap. Bergdorf Goodman was an experience! My friend and I certainly did not look like NYC people with my friend having tattoos and a utilikilt, and me tattooed heavily. When we walked in we got an attitude from a SA, but once downstairs we were treated like royalty...mostly due to the fact that I know a thing or two about fragrance. The man at Roja Dove was incredibly nice and even gave us both a sample, right after he told another customer that he did not give samples. Awesome. And the Jar experience was something else! We returned the next day and he told us we were the highlight of the day for him. Yes, I did spend some money at Bergxorf Goodman. MiN...I am a customer from the internet and samples were given for anything I wanted but in general, they seemed disinterested.

I think the highlight of my fragrance shopping was Twisted Lily. We were on the way to the airport and arrived 45 minutes before their opening, but when he saw 2 travelers with bags he opened the store and let us sniff anything we wanted, was generous with samples and was so enthusiastic and helpful. I can't express how much passion this store has for fragrance and for their customers! Twisted Lily is amazing.

So, two strange people from Portland (who both seem normal at home) were treated very well in the Big Apple! I may never get back to NYC again. But if tou get a chance, visit Twisted Lily. The place, people and selection are great.

My only regret is missing Osswald. Damn.

As a side note, my friend was never interested in perfume. He thought that it would be a bore. But, in the end he said he really enjoyed my insistance on visiting these places and spent over $500 on fragrances himself! The bastard!!! I had to learn the hard way an he is starting out smelling JAR and Roja Dove! LOL. Where does he fo from there?
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Glad you had an overall wonderful time!