Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Detroit, MI

Default Re: Detroit, MI

very cool.

I promise you're going to love that Original Vetiver - at least.

Bois du Portugal isn't exactly an everyday scent! Did you buy it "blind"?

I just posted a list of must-trys that includes a bunch of Creeds - check it out. (in the men's forum)

As for time of day - I'm not entirely sure. Probably in the afternoon would be the best time. The worst would be right before closing or around 6 when everyone is getting out of work.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Hi, I'm from Michigan, too, live in Troy. Do any of you guys meet up and trade frags? If so I might be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Hi, I'm from Michigan, too, live in Troy. Do any of you guys meet up and trade frags? If so I might be interested.
    I've met up with a couple of people I met on Basenotes at Somerset to buy or sell fragrances. I'm totally down for a Detroit fragrance swap meet!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Awesome! PM me when there's another meeting coming up! Thanks.

Has anyone been to the Bluemercury at Somerset recently? I was just looking through their website and I did not see any Serge Lutens. Do they still carry the Lutens line?

I'm also wondering, if you could only go to one or two of the following stores at Somerset, which would you pick? Bluemercury, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, or Saks? Which one has the best selection of harder-to-find fragrances? Would you rule out any of them for having basically the same selection as one of the others?

I'm asking because I'll be in the area for work in the next few days, and I'll only have two evenings to go sniffing, probably between 7pm and 9pm when the mall closes. Of course I want to be able to smell as many fragrances as I can in this short amount of time, so I'm wondering where my time is best spent.

Thanks!
    Last edited by rem_dreams; 7th July 2009 at 02:46 AM.

Shelly is the primary Creed rep at the Somerset NM.
    Shelley Romig
    Neiman Marcus
    Troy
    (248) 643-3300 ext. 2184

Lori Karbal is an awesome shop in Birmingham. I bought my 50ml bottle of Patchouli Patch there and am going to get my Dzing! there this weekend. Stop at Hunter House for an awesome original Detroit style slider while you're up there.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

There is also Ruby's Balm in West Bloomfield on Orchard Lake Road. The store sells high end soaps, lotions, body and home fragrances. I was last there about a year ago and they had several of the Bond No. 9, a few Guerlain and a couple other niche brands. You can also find Antica Farmacista, Alora Amibiance, Kiehls, Votivo and high end make up brands. It's similar to Todd's Room in Birmingham, a bit smaller on the fragrance selection and no hair salon.

Check them out!

Bluemercury is no longer in business at Somerset Mall. Bummer.

HI,
    I know there's a sizable Arab-American population in Detroit. Anyone know of a good place in Dearborn to buy Arabic-style attars and perfumes?

I just discovered that Blue Mercury was no longer in business at Somerset. (Major bummer) I am going to Dearborn tomorrow and look for attars/oils and such. I'll be sure to post my findings. I'm hoping to find Todds Room and Poppy Beauty Bar some time soon.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.

I was in Dearborn today and discovered a couple of perfume shops that reminded me very much of the ones found in New York City's perfume district on Broadway. Many of the frags were brands that I've never seen in any regular dept store, but they appeared to look like popular designer frags. There were some of the real things though in both stores. I smelled Cacharel Pour L'Homme for the first time and almost bought it. There were many other surprises to check out if you are in the Dearborn area.
    Hot Perfume-15115 W Warren Ave
    F&C Perfume- 7012 Schaefer Rd (did have 6 different attars in beautiful bottles...I wasn't much into the expensive juice in them!)

Great middle eastern food all over this area when visiting. I would bet that some of the other stores might have some attars hidden away for the truly devout.

Todd's Room
    239 Pierce St.
    Birmingham, MI
    248-594-0003

Off of Old Woodward, not far from Lori Karbal. Visit both! Todd used to work for Lori (inside info)

This is a nice swanky beauty boutique in gorgeous Birmingham MI, north of Royal Oak and Northwest of Detroit.

On top of all the beautiful and trained and friendly people there and other cosmetic products. Thier available fragrance selection is wonderful.

Frank 1, 2 and 3
    Ulrich Lang Anvers 2
    Much of the L'artisan line (including Traversée du Bosphore and Al Oudh)
    Much of the Serge Lutens line (I originally went up to try and maybe buy Chergui--it wasn't there)
    Julliet Has a Gun
    D'Orsay Le Dandy and Nomade
    Caron Eau d'Reglisse
    Brandy edt
    Much of the Bond No 9's
    Keiko Mecheri line
    Odin 1, 2 and 3 (3 very nice)
    Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Bumping a very old thread. I know Somerset is still the biggest place to go, but are there any newer niche places that have opened in the last several years?
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own.”
    - Fernando Pessoa

Check out my swap thread.
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

Basenotes Member

Detroit-based perfume company Sfumato will open a flagship store in Midtown.

Per the Metro Times:
    Midtown's retail scene is expecting yet another establishment to open, this one just in time for Black Friday.

Sfumato, a Detroit-based perfume company, will open inside the mansion located at 3980 Second Ave. The store will share the building with Detroit Clothing Circle, which already occupies part of the former home.

The 650-square-foot store will be located at the garden level of the building, and was built out with the help of a $20,000 grant from Motor City Match.

I visited Sfumato in Detroit's midtown district recently.

Midtown is a historic district with an amazing concentration of artistic and educational institutions and monumental architecture from the first half of the twentieth century, which had decayed for decades but is being rejuvenated with astonishing speed, energy, and style. It's a great spot to spend a day. The Detroit Institute of Arts has one of the better collections in the USA, the Detroit Historical Museum is fun and educational, the Science Center is great for families, and the Library is an Arts Deco gem. There are also plenty of monumental mansions, clubs, and churches, some of which have been repurposed and some which fulfill their original purpose, virtually unchanged. There are numerous theaters, concert halls, music clubs, and a symphony hall.

The food and drink scene is pure Detroit, so expect lots of craft breweries and beefy southern-inspired "new American" menus, heavy on comfort food. Try "Slows to Go" for take out BBQ or "Royale with Cheese" for an epic grilled cheese. "Traffic Jam and Snug" is a quirky landmark and was decades ahead of a lot of food trends.

Many of the old warehouses and workshops have been repurposed as shops, boutiques, and galleries. Visit the Shinola flagship on Canfield and stop by Third Man Records on the same block for rare vinyl releases, pressed on site.

Anyway, back to perfume.

Sfumato is a handsome space, downstairs in a historic townhouse on a leafy early twentieth century residential block. It's done in the New Industrial Detroit style, all exposed brick, concrete floors, iron fixtures and reclaimed wood. They carry only their own line of scents, all composed in house, plus some candles and a few other products. The founders, who are the noses, can often be found in the shop, and are very friendly and love to discuss their scents and perfume in general. If you are really interested in perfume, that can be worth the trip alone and you don't get that at a perfume counter at Saks. They also do custom scents, if that's your thing.

The number of fragrances they carry can vary, as some are temporary, but I remember it was about ten, in different sizes and concentrations, including tester bottles for sale. They claim to be heavily inspired by food, but it's more conceptual than literal, as their are plenty of woody and incense type notes present. Everything smells like a lot of expensive natural ingredients were used, both in the uniquely complex richness that naturals impart, and their lack of longevity. If you like natural ingredients, this is definitely a place to go.

Their scents are all unisex and there are no colognes or aquas. While they are all different, if I had to pick a signature style I would point to juicy fig-like openings and soft sandalwood-like drydowns. Overall the ingredients all smell very natural, without the typical iso E sillage boost, so in that respect they are typical of modern boutique perfumery.

To emphasize their connection with food, the perfumery also doubles as a cocktail bar in the evenings, and is available for event rentals. Detroit has a great craft cocktail scene, and no doubt this helps subsidize their perfumery costs, so it's a great idea - plus it's just plain fun and reflects the friendly personality of the owners and the youthful social scene of Detroit's Midtown entertainment scene. And the cocktails are great!

Sfumato is a great spot to learn about perfume and experience high quality natural ingredients, and it's in the middle of a great neighbourhood. I highly recommend a visit if you are in Detroit.