Code of Conduct

Default The Irresistible Fig

Even if you haven't tried them all (I sure haven't) vote for the one you like.

And for some interesting Fig Facts:

In the Judeo-Christian Old Testament, the first people, Adam and Eve, fashioned their clothes from leaves of a Fig Tree

In a Christian New Testament parable, Jesus's last miracle was performed when he cursed a fruitless Fig Tree which then withered and died.

Siddhartha Gautama meditated for six years on the meaning of life in the shade of a Fig Tree.
    When he arose and went forth into the world, he became known as Buddha.

A type of fig was grown in China in the fourteenth century as recorded by Le-Shi-tschen, who described figs growing in Chinese gardens.

In the original Olympic games, winning athletes were crowned with fig wreaths and given figs to eat.

The term "sycophant" has its origins in the Greek word for fig. Athenians were particularly fond of figs and were nicknamed "sycophants" (syke or fig-eaters). Later, when members of the population informed authorities about illegal export of figs from Attica, the word assumed its current usage.

Romulus and his twin brother Remus, the legendary founders of Rome, were nursed by a wolf under a Fig Tree.

The fig was dedicated to Bacchus and was the main diet of the early Greeks and Romans.

The inhabitants of Cyrene crowned themselves with fig wreaths when sacrificing to Saturn.

Pliny of Rome (62-113 CE) said "Figs are restorative. The best food that can be eaten by those who are brought low by long sickness and are on the way to recovery. They increase the strength of young people, preserve the elderly in better health and make them look younger with fewer wrinkles".

It is a traditional food in the Jewish Passover celebration.

The legendary Egyptian Queen, Cleopatra, allowed herself to be bitten by a poisonous asp which was delivered to her in a basket of ripe figs.

The California fig industry has formed a mandatory California State Dried Fig Marketing Order that voluntarily supports the California Fig Advisory Board and the California Fig Institute.

Many different kinds of fruit-eating bats love fresh figs.

And a recipe:

Warm Figs in Port

18 unpeeled fresh figs
    1/2 cup port wine
    2 to 3 tablespoons honey
    1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
    1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds

Place the unpeeled figs in a shallow baking dish and pour the wine over them. Cover and heat in a moderate oven (350 degrees F) until figs are thoroughly heated and plump, about 30 minutes; baste occasionally with the wine. To serve, arrange 3 figs in each serving dish; spoon a little of the wine over the figs and drizzle each serving with about 1 teaspoon honey. Top with whipped cream and toasted almonds.

Default Re: The Irresistible Fig

philosykos
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

A “philosykos”, literally translated, means “a friend of the fig.” ;D

I`m not so fond of fig in scents, but I`ll try your recipe, for sure!

And thanks for all the interesting fig facts :-*
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

My favorite is Des Filles a la Vanille's scent called Riviere de Janvier. To me it's the child of BodyTime's Green Fig and L'Artisan's Premier Figieur. I like the name, it is french for River of January also known as RIO DE JANIERO (Brazil). I forgot about this little love, thank you Tovah!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I've tried many of the ones listed above, but none of them is my favorite. I'd like to call attention to these fig frags:

Creation Mathias L'Eau de Figue
    An ode to the succulence of the fabulous fig. There is a hint of tart and a hint of green, but the heart of this scent is the sublime sweetness of the fruit itself. A deep, velvety, mouthwatering sweetness. An exceptionally delicious interpretation of this ambrosial fruit.
    (Description from Lucky Scent.) This one is really rich and mellow. The problem is, it's virtually impossible to get at the moment.

Thymes Fig Leaf & Cassis
    If you like Jo Malone, give this one a whirl--less expensive, very similar in scent, yet superior in the drydown (less "funk&quot. Look at the comparative ratings at makeupalley.com.

Carthusia IO "Capri"
    Mature notes of wild fig are blended with the livelier notes of tea leaves to create this dynamic and feisty fragrance.
    (Description from Aedes.com.) I have a decant of this coming in the mail. Reviewers say this smells of fig, tea and a hint of mint. Yeeooww!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Premier Figuier gets my vote.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    I've tried many of the ones listed above, but none of them is my favorite. I'd like to call attention to these fig frags:

Creation Mathias L'Eau de Figue
    An ode to the succulence of the fabulous fig. There is a hint of tart and a hint of green, but the heart of this scent is the sublime sweetness of the fruit itself. A deep, velvety, mouthwatering sweetness. An exceptionally delicious interpretation of this ambrosial fruit.
    (Description from Lucky Scent.) This one is really rich and mellow. The problem is, it's virtually impossible to get at the moment.

Thymes Fig Leaf & Cassis
    If you like Jo Malone, give this one a whirl--less expensive, very similar in scent, yet superior in the drydown (less "funk&quot. Look at the comparative ratings at makeupalley.com.

Carthusia IO "Capri"
    Mature notes of wild fig are blended with the livelier notes of tea leaves to create this dynamic and feisty fragrance.
    (Description from Aedes.com.) I have a decant of this coming in the mail. Reviewers say this smells of fig, tea and a hint of mint. Yeeooww!
    Hi Quarry! The Carthusia Io Capri is on the list, near the bottom. I purposely omitted the Mathias because of the frustration you had the other day. I didn't want to mention a fragrance that impossible to obtain! I've got to try a Thymes fragrances one of these days. They keep tempting me but I haven't had the chance to get to one, yet.

Wow! Thanks for such an interesting post! I've only tried Philosykos and Premier Figuier, so I hate to vote at all. I can say I liked Philosykos quite a bit better, since it doesn't have the sour lime in the top notes. I bought it!
    Please, spritz responsibly.

That recipe sounds nice!

Premier Figuier, btw (which I hated at first, but now has become one of my absoule faves)

I voted for Diptyque Philosykos, which I think is fantastic. *It is fresh, green, and includes the scent of the whole fig tree and the dry earth in which the fig tree is growing. *It is beautiful, refreshing, and so pleasant.

Rivière de Janvier is also quite enchanting. to quote my friend scentemental, it is "an evening wear version of Philosykos".

p.s. as you may know, Philosykos and Premier Figuier were both created by Olivia Giacobetti. in my opinion, Philosykos is the better of the two.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I love Premier Figuier so much that I actually crave the smell of it. Bathed & Infused has a "dupe" called Figuier that is a bit more earthy than the PM. I love this Figuier in body lotion. My husband says it smells like "leaves". If you like very green fig fragrances, the Bathed & Infused Figuier is a very reasonably priced, extremely enjoyable fragrance to try. I layer this lotion with Premier Figuier and it's wonderful.

I smelled Philosykos several years ago, and I don't remember it at all. It's clear that I need to retry it! Thanks for the great responses. They really help me to decide which fragrances I need to try next.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424
    My favorite is Des Filles a la Vanille's scent called Riviere de Janvier. To me it's the child of BodyTime's Green Fig and L'Artisan's Premier Figieur. *I like the name, it is french for River of January also known as RIO DE JANIERO (Brazil). I forgot about this little love, thank you Tovah! *
    What is the lasting power like on Janvier, Tinker? I've had bad luck with other Des Filles a la Vanilles. I could barely smell them on my skin. The notes in Janvier sound beautiful.

I have good luck with it. Yesterday was very hot and humid, nothing would stick around even the parfum forms of my heavy duty scents. I read this thread and had to go find my sample of RJ, it held up all afternoon running around in the yard, cooking pasta (always a bright idea to add more moisture to your house on a hot & steamy day), hauling laundry up and down 3 flights of stairs and bathing a splashing 3 year old. Out of the 4 Des Filles I've tried it's the ONLY one I like. I would like to try their Mure et Musc though. I would highly recommend sampling, it really is quite good. Sorry it's long winded, but I just wanted you to get an idea of what it can hold up to. I'm impressed because it was NASTY out.

Tovah, don't know if you saw this news release, but it appears that figs are now thought to be the oldest cultivated plant by humans - some 11,400 years ago. Evidence of this was found near Jericho. This would predate wheat and other grains, which were formerly thought to be the earliest in cultivation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../ixuknews.html

I d/k any of those frags but I have a blind-buy bottle of Premier Figuier in the mail right now. Hope I enjoy as much as some of y'all do.

We have a small fig tree in our backyard. I love to eat them raw and my DW makes a wonderful fig preserve out of them . Had some on raisin toast today from last year's crop.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Dan, that sounds delicious! Any chance your wife might be willing to share her recipe? Pretty please?

Philosykos, with no hesitation.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

I only know the M.Harris, Diptyque, L'Artisan, Blu Meditteraneo, Carthusia and Hermes...
    I voted for Miller Harris, because I really like the marine note in it. Otherwise it smells really bitter to me. Although I think Fico de Amalfi was quite close,too.
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Does anyone know whether fig or fig-leaf scents are partially or entirely synthesized or made from natural sources? This question occurred to me because of the shortage of my beloved (okay, everybody say it in unison) Mathias L'Eau de Figue -- plus, I've read that there is also a shortage of Henri Bendel Wild Fig (after a recent sale on this frag). Perhaps there is some seasonality or longevity issue with the source materials that makes fig-dominant scents' availability more volatile, like wine is related to grape harvests.

Or maybe I'm just wasting my time and yours with idle musings here when I should be doing real work...
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I just read yesterday in Science that some old remains of fig fruits was found in the lower Jordan valley in the 1970's, but just recently scientists have realized how old these really are. They are of a non-fertile varity, which needs human help to sustain themselves, therefor the scientists believe that they have been intentionally planted. And the age of the figs? 11,400 years! That makes the fig tree the oldes known domesticated plant! Wow!

11,400 years have passed... And we now have Premier Figuier, which I love!

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Lady
    Dan, that sounds delicious! *Any chance your wife might be willing to share her recipe? * Pretty please? *
    Sorry I took so long but here it is HL:

FIG PRESERVES

Select firm, sound fruit. Wash thoroughly, removing stems. Sprinkle 1 cup of sugar over every 2 cups of figs, layering. Cover and let stand for 8 hours. Place on medium heat, stirring occasionaly, until syrup thickens and figs are clear. Let figs stand overnight in syrup to plump. Next morning return figs to boiling and pack in jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Process in boiling water-bath for 5 minutes.

Enjoy!

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [/URL]

Oh, Philosykos in a heartbeat. Last summer, I found myself under a fig tree in Provence and picked one to eat. I was wearing Philosykos at the time, and it was far and away the figgiest, figgiest fig I've ever eaten. Just magnificent.

At the low end, the Demeter Fig Leaf is pretty good, if rather coconut-y. I've tried the Miller Harris too, and it's good, but not anywhere near the wonderfulness of Philosykos. Giacobetti's a genius.

Bump for Herb Lady

[/URL]

Two fig recipies to try!
    I should do it tonight, while I am wearing Premier Figuier....
    I do love both Philosykos and Premier, but I think it´s that almond milk that makes me rate premier a little higher (the very one that made me dislike it at first)

DON'T HATE....but Fig & Brown Sugar from Bath and Body Works is DAMN good.

Parfumerie Generale's Jardins de Kerylos is my favorite fig so far. I like Premier Figuer, but the milkiness of it isn't so much me. The PG is an earthy fig. Just lovely.
    Visit our perfume blog - Perfume Posse

Just a note:

I find it interesting that all the Fig Lovers never mention Davidoff Goodlife Woman... supposedly it has loads of fig notes in it...

"Goodlife has a unique scent of fig, juicy but not sweet, covering each of its successive facets.
    The top note unveils a fragrance of fig tree leaf mingled with rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang and summer magnolia nuances.
    Then fig milk coats iris and sandalwood scents blending delicious tones of date, amber and vanilla for a subtle oriental touch." OsMoZ

Top note : Fig, Fig Tree leaf, Rose
    Middle note : Ylang-Ylang, Magnolia, Orris, Fig milk
    Base note : Sandal, Amber, Vanilla
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess_Dreams
    Just a note:

I find it interesting that all the Fig Lovers never mention Davidoff Goodlife Woman... supposedly it has loads of fig notes in it...

"Goodlife has a unique scent of fig, juicy but not sweet, covering each of its successive facets.
    The top note unveils a fragrance of fig tree leaf mingled with rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang and summer magnolia nuances.
    Then fig milk coats iris and sandalwood scents blending delicious tones of date, amber and vanilla for a subtle oriental touch." OsMoZ

Top note : Fig, Fig Tree leaf, Rose
    Middle note : Ylang-Ylang, Magnolia, Orris, Fig milk
    Base note : Sandal, Amber, Vanilla
    I read that somewhere also! It's always at TJ Maxx/Marshalls for a good price...hmmm

I too didn't care much for Premier Figuier at first- too coconutty for me (living in Hawaii it reminded me of Waikiki suntan lotion! but now I LOVE this scent! Could it be a summer fragrance for hot weather?

does anyone here have a decant of the miller harris fig they'd be willing to sell? if so, please pm me. thanks!

Smile Re: The Irresistible Fig

Quote Originally Posted by pepperpatty
    Parfumerie Generale's Jardins de Kerylos is my favorite fig so far. I like Premier Figuer, but the milkiness of it isn't so much me. The PG is an earthy fig. Just lovely.
    I had the opportunity to try the Jardins de Kerylos last week and it blew me away. This is one incredible fig scent and it's on my Wishlist!

Smile Re: The Irresistible Fig

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    Sorry I took so long but here it is HL:

FIG PRESERVES

Select firm, sound fruit. Wash thoroughly, removing stems. Sprinkle 1 cup of sugar over every 2 cups of figs, layering. Cover and let stand for 8 hours. Place on medium heat, stirring occasionaly, until syrup thickens and figs are clear. Let figs stand overnight in syrup to plump. Next morning return figs to boiling and pack in jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Process in boiling water-bath for 5 minutes.

Enjoy!

Dan
    Dan, I'm the one who's sorry that I didn't see this recipe until now (I've unfortunately been unable to visit the board this month), and am thrilled to have it - it sounds delicious and I appreciate your posting it (and your wife being willing to share it).

I also just sent you a PM -

Thanks again!

Herb Lady

Welcome back young Lady and you're most welcome. It is a delicious recipe .

Dan

[/URL]