Code of Conduct

Default 'Soir de Paris' sold at Ben Franklins?

I seem to recall that when I was a child in the United States in the 1950s I would see a fragance called “Evening in Paris” at stores that were the 1950s equivalent of Target. (For those my age, you will remeber these as Ben Franklin or Woolworths). These stores sold fragrances that were actually more downscale than what are now referred to as “drug-store” fragrances.

I am wondering if I am remembering the name correctly. I do know that the fragrance I recall seeing was sold in cobalt blue bottles as is 'Soir de Paris'. It was dirt cheap. Even I, a child from a home with very little money, could afford to buy this stuff. I never did. It just seemed like almost a novelty item rather than anything most people would wear.

Now I see on at Basenotes and Makeup Alley, people take seriously a fragrance called Soir de Paris (Evening in Paris). Luca Turin in his 1994 LE GUIDE refers to Soir de Paris as "ce grand classique".

Does anyone remember the fragrance that was sold in the cobalt blue bottles at these stores in the 1950s? Was it called ‘Evening in Paris’? Is this the same product as ‘Soir de Paris’ by Bourjois?

Default Re: 'Soir de Paris' sold at Ben Franklins?

Well I got the answer. I also posted this question at Make-up Alley. Soir de Paris is the same as the Evening in Paris I saw at Ben Franklin's and Woolworth's. And, to my great amazement, this fragrance was actually produced by Chanel. Chanel was the parent company of Bourjois.

Same stuff ( I saw you over at MU, hi) This is the only perfume my mother used to wear till she progressed to Tigress (yuck I hated that one) and now she wears Tabu.
    Come play with us (click on the Basenotes link) http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=195893

Both Tigress and Evening in Paris are sold at www.vermontcountrystore.com Cute website, they sell what my very elderly Grandma would call "bloomers".

Tabu, I love it. At Make-Up Alley someone pointed out that Soir de Paris was composed by Maurice Roucel - the same man who created Chanel #5. Can you imagine? Coty today doesn't have anyone of that calibur composing THEIR "drug-store" fragrances.