Code of Conduct

Default Incense Oriental/Oriental Incense?

Over the winter I really got turned on to incense fragrances and my love affair hasnít seemed to wane much, even with rising temperatures.

Norma Kamaliís Incense and Andy Tauerís LíAir du Desert Marocain lead the way, closely followed by Etroís Shaal Nur and Messe de Minuit, with a trail of Angelique Encens in my hair and Shalimar on my pulse points. Feminite du Bois rounds out the party with woody incense.

Boy- have my tastes radically changed from the days of Joy and Paris! (Still have fondness in my heart for those, they just donít seem to show up on my skin as often any more.)

Okay, I can easily see that Feminite du Bois is a woody Oriental fragrance. Of course I would certainly class Shalimar as an Oriental- the original Oriental perhaps- and Angelique Encens too. I suppose Shaal Nur is Oriental; a cool Oriental though. What about Messe de Minuit then- an amber Oriental perhaps? Is there such a thing? How about LíAir du Desert Marocain? This is definitely amber but itís the driest amber I have ever smelled. Is this an Oriental perfume? Is Norma Kamali Incense an Oriental perfume?

Norma Kamali Incense is hot, resinous, like the smoke from the resins in the air. It is dense, ultimate, unrelenting. Smoky yes, but not the smoke from your barbeque- this is sacred smoke. I layer this one with practically everything. Jil Sander No 4 gets an instant makeover with a dab of this on top. Etros Sandalo and Patchouly become the ultimate in sandalwood and patchouli incense fragrances. Even Shaal Nur gets more incense-y. However the holy of holies is to layer LíAir du Desert Marocain with a few dabs of NK Incense- someone will swear youíve been burning the most gorgeous amber incense ever. Yet- how do you class this Norma Kamali Incense? Is it an Oriental?

So my question is: are incense perfumes considered Oriental perfumes or could they be in a class by themselves? What are your thoughts?
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Default Re: Incense Oriental/Oriental Incense?

I think that just like Green scents belong in the Floral category, Incense scents are part of the Oriental group.

Incense and spices are very "Oriental" as an idea anyway.

Key, I remember your Joy & Paris days very well! I guess we all go through phases with our taste in fragrance. Just like you have found incense I have found vetiver and roses.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŁber muss man schreiben."

I don't know any of the scents you mentioned (well, except for Shalimar, Joy, Paris), but I just wanted to tell you that I enjoyed reading your descriptions. :-)

Thanks for the comments!

When you talk about "incense" are you speaking of frankincense in particular? Myrrh? Or just that it smells like some incense sticks? I'm sorry to be dumb here, but one hears this term so often and I am at a bit of a loss.

Hi Key!

I guess the fragrance classification depends upon it's structure. Seems that a lot of spicy/incense fragrances are considered in the Oriental vein due to their composition.

Which leads me to ask: Have you tried Donna Karan Black Cashmere? That may well be a good example to reference!

Best of Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by ravenrose
    When you talk about "incense" are you speaking of frankincense in particular? Myrrh? Or just that it smells like some incense sticks? I'm sorry to be dumb here, but one hears this term so often and I am at a bit of a loss.
    Yes, frankincense, copal, myrrh- all burning in the air. Norma Kamali's Incense smells just like that- or perhaps even the after effect of smelling those resins in furniture, carpets, draperies a day or so later after a huge burn-fest. This is what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by duxoop772
    Hi Key!

I guess the fragrance classification depends upon it's structure. *Seems that a lot of spicy/incense fragrances are considered in the Oriental vein due to their composition.

Which leads me to ask: *Have you tried Donna Karan Black Cashmere? *That may well be a good example to reference!
    I have tried Black Cashmere and sadly it was not to my taste. I found it strangely medicinal yet at the same time a bit too sweet. I have a dear friend who wears it as her signature and it smells wonderful and spicy on her though.

The incense I'm talking about is resinous, deep, rich, thick, almost acrid and smoky- not necessarily spicy.