Code of Conduct

Default Ideas for a fourteen year old young lady

Hello,
    My girlfriend has requested I find out what fragrances would be appropriate for her 14 year old sister. She's very girly, reads all of the time, quite introverted, and dresses really conservative by today's post-Britney/Jessica/Christina standards. She (my girlfriend) remembers wearing Bath and Body works stuff and the basic Wal-Mart/Target fare but really wants to get her sister something a little better than that. I really don't have a clue on what she should get that would meet the criteria. This isn't gonna be a very stressful chore for my girlfriend but she would like some modern ideas. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Ideas for a fourteen year old young lady

Quote Originally Posted by cookesoul
    Hello,
    My girlfriend has requested I find out what fragrances would be appropriate for her 14 year old sister. *She's very girly, reads all of the time, quite introverted, *and dresses really conservative by today's post-Britney/Jessica/Christina standards. *She (my girlfriend) remembers wearing Bath and Body works stuff and the basic Wal-Mart/Target fare but really wants to get her sister something a little better than that. *I really don't have a clue on what she should get that would meet the criteria. *This isn't gonna be a very stressful chore for my girlfriend but she would like some modern ideas. *Thanks in advance.
    trying to score points with your girl with the help of us basenoters eh ? :P well if you look around at all the posts here you'll quickly come to see that we can't decide on ANYTHING as a group, so my suggestion would be to take a few hours in the afternoon and go to the ladies fragrances section of your local department store and check them out yourself.. you probably know your girfriends and her sisters taste better than any of us so there you go. plus, you can talk to the SA and be really nice, get to know her name etc... so instead of just telling your girlfriend what scent to buy, take her back to the same store later that week with the same SA working and be like "hi charlene!" (insert SA name in place of charlene) and act like ur all down with the programme, then show your girl the choices you looked at earlier and respill out all that SA talk you learned last time (all about the lame histories of each fragrance house and the notes of each frag) then your girlfriend will be so impressed think you are a fragrance god and love you forever

- matt

Overcome By Fumes

My 14 year old is quite fond of Guerlain L'Instant. She actually owns the Eau de Noel version, but it's so similar to the regular that it should not matter--considering we are six months from Christmas!

Aqualina's Pink Sugar is quite girly, as is Light Blue by D&G.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Aqualina's Pink Sugar is quite girly, as is Light Blue by D&G.
    The young lady in question may like those. Alternatively,my
    13 year old niece was wearing a perfume from Zara when I met
    her last week (the green one I think) and smelled great.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Azzaro Pink Tonic is a fresh pink grapefruit scent, very girly and summery. I don't think there is an age limit to that one, but can definitely imagine a younger girl wear it. It's so uncomplicated, but in a lovely pure way.
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

I'm going to quote Herb Lady from another thread in which someone was looking for fragrance recs for his 18-year-old sister. She made such good sense:

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Lady
    Do you know the names of the body sprays she wears, or who makes them? Do you know what kind of shampoo or soap she uses (or what the fragrance of those items are like)? Go and look.

What kinds of foods and flavors does she like? Or call your mom and ask her what your sister uses - report back.
    Fragrance preference is such a personal thing, even among very young ladies. What BBW & Target/Walmart fragrances, precisely, does she wear? It would be easier to make recommendations with that info. :-)

Last week I spoke with two 14 yo girls about fragrances. Both seem to be on the quiet side (reading, chores, summer school) and one of them seems to adore JLo Glow, believe it or not (!), and another is just as much into her mom's Alfred Sung Shi.

If you do not want to give her a nicely packaged collection of minis -- our long time, tried and true suggestion, take her with you and your GF on a trip to your local Perfumania. She would love to be involved into grown-ups' activities, she would appreciate the thought, she would have some freedom of choice: nothing is there terribly expensive, really, on the other hand you will have a chance to show your knowledge and taste! Let her pick one bottle (OK, one bottle and a mini!) and you and your GF pay the bill. Treat all three of you to the trip to your local DQ or Baskin Robbins after that for a nice serving of ice cream of her choice, and you made her year! I am telling you! ;D I was a 14 year old once too!

try miss dior cherie

Musc De Java by Les Nereides is a heavenly blackberry musk. It's nothing like L'Artisans Mure et Musc, less musky more blackberry than MeM. It's very uplifting and youthful, one of my fav's. It's sold at Luckyscent.

Thanks for the suggestions and tips!!! I will be reporting back.

for her slightly darker more introverted side: angel
    for her pure girly sunny side: my perennial fav, spring flower

Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado

When I was 14 (nearly 14 years ago!), I owned quite a few scents. I really loved Chanel Cristalle EDT and Poison. Chanel Cristalle EDT could be a good choice--it's crisp and beautiful and nothing makes a teen feel more grown up than owning a Chanel frag. I can also imagine a 14-year-old girl liking Chanel Chance.

Another good option would be to maybe check out the Victoria's Secret beauty store (most malls have a separate shop from the lingerie shop that is strictly frags and makeup). I loved getting frags from there when I was in middle school and high school. I can picture a 14-year-old liking Pink, which is a very pretty frag from there.

Good luck!

My 11-year-old daughter's favorites are Safran Troublant and especially Fracas (she sprays it on her pillowcase most nights!)

I know one of the first things I'd look into for a young lady of that age is Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers. It's light, not too complicated, and a very pleasant, fresh, "cheerful" kind of fragrance.

It's also my four-year-old daughter's favorite perfume, and my 20 year old daughter also likes and wears it, as does one of my 40+ year old friends....

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

I found out that two perfumes that she owned and liked were Lucky You and Cool Water.........not sure of the BBW stuff that she likes. I may just take Timberwolf's suggestion and hit the mall wide open and go for ice cream later..........I could eat some right now if I had it!

Talking Re: Ideas for a fourteen year old young lady

Dolly Girl by Anna Sui very 14ish

She reads a lot, dresses conservative, and is introverted. What's wrong with that? My daughter wanted to be Madonna at twelve. Why not let the girl be what she wants. Why the hurry to grow up now-a-days? Why not get her the book of her choice or take her with you perfume shopping "ONLY" if she wants to go?

Lanvin Rumeur

My sister is also 14 years old, loves to read and she's quite shy. I gave her Laura by Laura Biagotti for christmas. I knew she liked fresh scents.Maybe you should try to find out what her preerences in scents are? My sister also likes Curious by Britney Spears and Touch of pink by Lacoste.Hope this helps

I used to like Devon Violets.
    I got my 15 year old niece Bourbon French (New Orleans) Orange Blossom and she loves it. I found it by googling Bourbon French.

Overcome By Fumes

Considering this thread was started almost 7 months ago, does anyone really expect these answers to be very useful now?

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    Considering this thread was started almost 7 months ago, does anyone really expect these answers to be very useful now?
    Maybe not for the original poster, but someone else might be looking for something similar.

I, too, sometimes miss the date something was originally posted in my glee at being able to offer my opinion/advice!
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Blog Entries

Clinique Happy or Happy Heart

Lancome Miracle

And I agree with Pink Sugar and Light Blue.

And I used to love Lucky You back in the day, too.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Diorissimo is what I wore when I was in my teens (late teens mind you - I didn't wear perfume before I was 16). It's sweet, floral (lily of the valley) and very uplifting. It's a great young fragrance.

With Love by Hilary Duff
    DKNY Red Delicious
    D&G Light Blue
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache