Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Have you ranked notes you favor or dislike?

We all develop mental lists of favorite and least favorite notes, but have you made a written ranking? As I learn to parse out a particular note, I give it placement on my list. Often a note will move up or down in ranking, but doing this tiny bit of recordkeeping helps me target which frags to sample. I'd like to see your ranking of notes. Hope you'll play along!

Fave Notes: Black Tea, Coffee, Coumarin (Hay), Leather, Lily, Orange Blossom, Peony, Patchouli, Tonka

Good Notes: Almond, Amber, Balsam, Berries, Black Currant (Cassis), Carnation, Civet, Cocoa, Cucumber, Fig, Heliotrope, Lilac, Linden, Opopanax, Powder, Quince, Sandalwood, Tuberose, Vetiver, Ylang-Ylang

Iffy Notes: Apple, Aquatic, Cinnamon, Citrus, Coconut, Gardenia, Herbs, Honey, Incense, Jasmine, Lavender, Lily-of-the-Valley, Mint, Musk, Pepper, Rose, Vanilla

Icky Notes: Aldehydes, Anise, Cardamom, Cloves, Coriander, Ginger, Hesperides, Licorice, Melon, Metallic, Soapy Scent, spices in general

Can't seem to smell: Iris, Moss, Violet (odd, huh?)
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: Have you ranked notes you favor or dislike?

This is a really good idea, Quarry. Quite scientific,too
    I don't think it'd work for me, because I get the impression that I sporadically fall in and out of love with certain notes. So I dread writing those down. because I won't agree with my own statements in a months time :-[ I reread my own reviews or posts and get absolutely embarrased sometimes. I shout, what a liar, but then, what can I do?...We change as time goes by. I feel challenged though and give it a try!
    My favs at the moment are: grapefruit, cassis, musk, spring flowers like lilac/wisteria/peony.
    I like small amounts of pink pepper, orange blossom, grass, ylang-ylang, patchouli, woods and lavender. coriander.jasmin,yeah!
    My all time favoutrite is rose. in a chypre scent.
    I can't have coconut, gardenia, honey, caramel, cumin, cloves, synthetic alcohols like appletini and such. balsamic notes. cucumber.
    I probably can't smell many things as I have no idea how exactly they smell. :-? like...you know, many...
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

No, I have never made a written ranking, but love the idea! Of course the composition of the perfume can make one particular note smell quite different than it would in another constellation, but here are some of my likes/dislikes.

Good:
    Patchouli, Heliotrope, Tuberose, Almond, Lilac, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Clove, Amber, Tonkabean, Coconut, Bergamot, Ylang-Ylang, Cassis, Jasmine, Sandalwood, Cedarwood.

Bad:
    Aldehydes, Cardamom, Coriander, Fig, Cucumber, Leather, Coffee, Mint, Pepper, Apple, Herbs, Grass, Hay, Pineapple, Mimosa, Narcissus, Civet.

Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I'm so happy to see someone else loves a good hay note!! My favs are: hay, LOTV, lilac, heliotrope, almond, tuberose, gardenia, fig, carnation, ANYTHING that makes me smell like cupcakes, and honey. Good ones are: cloves, coconut, pineapple, opopanax, lavender, berries, aldehydes, white musk(blended with something) and orange blossom. Yucky notes for me are incense, leather, pepper and although I really LOVE it...honeysuckle, it turns into a campground bathroom smell on me.

Brilliant (and less brilliant) combinations can really change notes. I love being surprised by these combinations, but of course I have some fave and less fave notes *

To be edited, but a start:

favorites: iris, violet, cedarwood, sandalwood, amber, almond, vetiver, fig, lemon, bergamotte, verbena, heliotrope, rose, lavender, cardamon, ginger (hey Quarry, do you see a pattern? * ), pepper, cinnamon

I really like: Lily of the valley, mimosa, jasmine, leather, vanilla, grapefruit, insence, patchouli, leafy green notes (black currant leaves, tomato leaves, etc), tea, wheat, geranium, plum, white musk

difficult for me are: aldehydes, oakmoss (ok in small doses), hyacinth, animalic musk, tuberose in sweet blends, apple

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vinterdroppe
    favorites: iris, violet, cedarwood, sandalwood, almond, vetiver, fig, lemon, bergamotte, heliotrope, rose, lavender, cardamon, ginger (hey Quarry, do you see a pattern? * ), pepper
    Vive le difference! [she says in a nasally French accent]
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

My favourite notes at the moment are:-
    Bergamot, blackcurrant leaves, peach, vanilla, coconut(?), cedar
    plum, cinnamon, basil, jasmin, heliotrope, lemon,
    almond, lily, orange blossom and mandarin, balsam, mimosa,

I don't like civet(except in Roma), patchouli, vetiver,
    tuberose or oceanics.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

I'm always being surprised. I will fall in love with a fragrance that features a note I thought I hated, and will dislike a fragrance that features a note I thought I loved. Patchouli is iffy for me, but it is in so many fragrances that I love, also sandalwood which can make me queasy but when used in the right amount and combination is lovely. Same with clove. I don't know anymore. It's too confusing. Currently, I'm craving violets, which I never have before. Who knows why. There are very few perfumes that I truly dislike, and probably very few that I would never tire of. :-)

I am with Sherrie11 on this one. It is not the individual notes, but the quality of the ingredients and composition that matter to me any more. I used not to like watery/ozonic scents, melon/cucumber and musks, but it is changing.