Code of Conduct

Thread: Kenzo Jungle.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kenzo Jungle.

I always get obsessed by a particular brand when they have a major release coming soon. Monday we had the WWD article about the new Kenzo Amour, yet this time I became intrigued with Kenzo Jungle before this announcement.

When Kenzo Jungle came out in 1997 I bought a bottle on the spot after the first sniff, but on the same day gave it to a very good friend. It was also a period when I had sort of a break of perfume collecting, so it wasn't really a sacrifice not to be able to add Kenzo Jungle to my collection. I just forgot about it.
    Kenzo Jungle became quite popular here in Belgium and France.

Then, earlier this year I sampled Chinatown from Bond N°9. I kept thinking: "I know this scent, I have smelled it in the past...in the 90s. But what is it?". After about 20 minutes, my light bulb went on... it was Kenzo Jungle. Now, I'm not going to say that Bond N°9 copied yet again an other perfume, though there is no doubt that the 2 fragrances are strangely similar. Chinatown is maybe a bit more floral.

Since making the connection every time I go to the department store I have to take a sniff Kenzo Jungle.
    What a weird if beautiful fragrance. It's described as a gourmand, but in my mind "Gourmand" equals vanilla-ish, chocolaty and sometimes fruity cake-like scents. Kenzo Jungle is none of those things. It's dry, spicy and powdery. Yes, it contains many gustative elements like: cardamon, clove, mango, licorice and vanilla. But this is more about South East Asian cuisine than french patisserie. Kenzo Jungle is a spice market somewhere in Thailand or Vietnam. A true "far-away-places"scent.
    One of the only other scents that gives me this feeling of Asian Cuisine, yet in a completely different composition, is the marvelous Bois Farine by L'Artisan with it's distinctive stay peanut sauce accord.
    Kenzo Jungle also contains masses of patchouli, which is one of my fetish ingrediants.

I lloooooovvve Kenzo Jungle, yet I'm still undecided if I like it more as a smell than as a real perfume...

Oh, and did I tell it is long-lasting... it's lasts, and lasts, and lasts. I sprayed a bit on my wrists yesterday at the department store and today my sweater sleeves still smell strongly.

Default Re: Kenzo Jungle.

One of the strongest smell I've ever tested. Unfortunatelly, I can't stand it. :

Post Thanks / Like

I love Kenzo Jungle, both men's and Tiger. They are so sensual. Warm, even seductive. It must be the patchouli note.
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

It reminds me of a spice cake baking in the oven. I like a nice, strong spicy fragrance like this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have always loved this scent (from first sniff). It reminds me of Plum pudding but not so gourmand. The liqourice and cardamom create a delicious dark spice accord that keeps my nose attached to my wrist whenever I wear it. I find it quite sexy in a similar vein to Dior Addict but more complex, interesting and successful a blend. :-*

From the notes listed & reading reviews I thought Bond No.9 Chinatown would smell similar to this and my heart & purse thanks you for confirming that for me. Depending on mood I may layer with TBS Indian Gardenia, TBS White Musk or TBS Fuzzy Peach to create my own smella-alike!

Probably not as I consider Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant a work of art in it's own right.

Other scent cousins that I know and love are: Guerlain Winter Delicewith it's distinctive snow, pine & gingerbread accord; Dinner by Bobo - so many complain about the cumin in this but it is all cardamom and plum spiced delight on me. True Love! :-* , Etro Etra - more linear and less fruity than Jungle this is similar with a strong cardamom / spice accord which dominates from beginning to end.

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I think it would be fair to say that I'm *obsessed* with this fragrance. It's one I reach for almost daily in the cooler months, even when I'm home alone. It makes me feel relaxed and comforted. It's soooo unique and spicy...it's sort of foody, but not gourmand in that there isn't that heavy sweetness that I associate with those types of frags. I love the boldness of Jungle, and it lasts and lasts and lasts! I can't wear Opium as it turns sour on my skin, but I love it on others, and Jungle reminds me of Opium but works much better with my chemistry. I can only pray that they never discontinue this masterpiece! I'd love to pick up bath products and lotion; does anyone know where I could find them, or if they even make them?

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Jungle is my sister's signature scent. She is the only person I've ever known wear it. It's way too overpowering for me. But it's still a grande dame in the world of fragrance!

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried Jungle L'Elephant, unfortunately it is quite lasting on me and completely skanky it the worst way possible. The patchouli turned to BO rather than nice minty, earthy patchouli. I had the misfortune of trying this on at the same time as Kingdom with its skanky cumin note and costume national scent which turned to cumin on my skin. I smelled like the biggest whore in Vegas that day! I was at a conference and went sniffing at Sephora on my lunch break, I was so embarrased going back to afternoon sessions, they were all scrubbers and and I could not get them off my skin as much as I tried.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL @ jacona's Vegas associations!

I can do The Elephant Fart in miniscule amounts. It is not the smell I can't do, it is the longevity -- like Energizer bunny, it is going and going and going.... It is also the first scent that comes to mind when the questions about nuclear longevity are asked.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My sister lives in central Scotland and I live in the most southeasterly part of England, yet in spite of those hundreds of miles across Britain, occasionally I think I can smell her perfume. LOL. She wears it so well - it suits her - it is just not for moi.

I really like this distinctive, heady scent and can wear it quite well - but it does linger on and on and on.....generally, I save it for weekends and haven't worn it to work in years. However, I found out about it at work - my colleague wears it wonderfully well and that's how I ended up acquiring a bottle. It smells soft and enticing on her; she favors Kenzo perfumes.

The bottle is also fantastic and elephants are amazing, so it's a wonderful combination of everything! It's such a shame that it's harder to find now. I would place it's distinctiveness and quality at the nearly stratospheric level of Angel (also a love/hate and partial to certain chemistries!).